Become a Patron!

RDAs are becoming harder to find?

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I like RDAs, tinkering with different builds, and it's fun as a hobby. As of recently, it is becoming harder to find gear and supplies both online and in local shops. When I ask "what happened" the general response is that most people want complete kits or don’t drip anymore.

I can understand not wanting to keep inventory around if it's not moving. That said, I have three questions for folks here.

1. Is there a reliable online store in the US that has legit gear, and all the goodies to go with it?
2. Is there a local shop in the Hudson County (NJ) area, or near by (not NY) that is a good place to shop?
3. Have others noticed what I am describing, and a shift towards non DIY vaping?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like RDAs, tinkering with different builds, and it's fun as a hobby. As of recently, it is becoming harder to find gear and supplies both online and in local shops. When I ask "what happened" the general response is that most people want complete kits or don’t drip anymore.

I can understand not wanting to keep inventory around if it's not moving. That said, I have three questions for folks here.

1. Is there a reliable online store in the US that has legit gear, and all the goodies to go with it?
2. Is there a local shop in the Hudson County (NJ) area, or near by (not NY) that is a good place to shop?
3. Have others noticed what I am describing, and a shift towards non DIY vaping?
I've noticed tge same thing, and I've asked a lot of shop owners why. Ever since the FDA decreed that B&Ms cannot build, RDAs have suffered a decline. Turns out, most folks don't want to build...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

st1114g

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm a relatively new to vaping ( about 6 months) but I actually think that RTAs and RDTAs are replacing the RDA, if at all. With the only advantage that you don't have to carry a bottle of juice and frequently drip.
I have used tank kits but as I'm vaping a lot more lately, I quickly did the math and prebuilt coils come at a very high price comparing to spool of wire and a bag of cotton. Also, people like me who like to try different flavors waste a lot of money using the prebuilt coils. And, the tanks cost about the same, so I switched to RTAs.
Also, FDA is pushing hard, so I don't want to be stuck with their choices..

To answer your questions:
1. There is many imo
Elemenvape, myvaporstore, vapordna, huff & puffers,VapeNW (closed right now but will reopen soon), vaporider...just to name a few that I order from.
2. I'm in South Jersey and there is two well stoked stores here and maybe more but I only buy juice from them simply because prices are crazy comparing to online.
3. IMO retail stores see lower demand simply because of their price tag... They mainly get the complete newbie who needs to not think of the ohm's law or someone like me who has a favorite tank and just buys coils. Or, again as me, saw the Unwell Crown 3 and pulled the trigger to try it and see what it's all about ( $5 extra on price.) But, they wanted to sell me the Vaporesso Nebula for $69.99 when I got it online for $45.00...while, they sold an old Kanger Kit to a young man for $50.00 where online is $20-25..
Don't misunderstand me, supporting local businesses is good but I won't do it if the price is close to double.
Just my thoughts..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im from a very rural part of my state. I drive an hour to my nearest b&m shop. They offer zero RDA/RTA's. When I asked the dude why, he said, "You cant beat what they're coming out with. These new kits are all you really need". He was talking about Smok. They have everything Smok, some pico kits, and cleito's. Thats it. I cant even get wire there anymore.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IDK. I think there are absolutely tons of RDA's and wire available online. it seems another 1 or 2 new RDA's hit the market every couple weeks.

I think selling wire and rda's isn't really in the interest of most B&M stores because it creates less dependence on your local B&M. Making coils and diy juice really eliminates the need to ever step foot in a vape shop.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can still find RDA's its just not as big of a swarm by a bunch of different manufacturers/cloners..The kennedy and the goon and quite a few other companies still sell authentic rda's at select vape shops if thats what youre after.....You can still find a few rda clones on Fasttech and 3F vape and im sure a few other places.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see geekvape and others pumping out plenty of rda's. Maybe because I buy online and not from brick and mortar stores. BKTOAD may be on to something, stores want a level of dependence and return customers. Those who get in the habit of buying coils generally come back to repurchase. Wire and cotton can be purchased plenty of places and generally for less, in combination with the regs about stopping building in the shops.

Even if the regs weren't in place, it's easier to hire someone at a register who can simply hand a package with little to no knowledge other than 'yes, these coils are compatible with your tank, here's a package'. They don't require people who know how to build or set things up.

B&M's, not sure what the deal is. If they can't get things for wholesale or if wholesale is basically what other vendors are offering people online. It's almost as if they buy things at full retail then slam a markup on it making the price less than competitive. Kits are improving, they're including multicoil replacement heads and things but I don't think it's a replacement for building.

I really can't say why, maybe it's legit based on limited buying power but I've seen 'mom & pop' translate to 'overpriced' like it's a justification. Granted bigger outlets like walmart or chain grocery stores have more buying power but they're all similar. A good example are local 'farm & feed' stores. You can grab a snickers bar from the grocery store for around $1. The farm store? They're selling the same size candy bar for $1.89. On top of it they're old and dusty like they've been around awhile. Go to buy other things like motor oil and they're charging $6-7 for the same quart I can get for $3.89 up the road. That's a hard sell, call it 'mom & pop', 'local' or whatever but I don't like getting jacked either. Vape shops seem to be the same way.

Eciggity is another online u.s. vendor (hawaii based, fast shipping though). I don't know that they have the absolute cheapest prices, they have several rda's though. Probably 50 or so different rda's, both genuine and some clones (clearly marked). They've got the tsunami, regular, 24, with and without window, the doode (squidoode's), troll v2 standard and 25mm, sapor v2, recoil, peerless, lynx, lush plus, druga etc.
https://eciggity.com/rebuildable-1/

They've also got a few other things, a bit of wick, wire, batteries, chargers. A little limited but those are things that can easily be gotten elsewhere. Japanese organic cotton is cheap and easy to come by on Amazon, a lot of folks get their wire from temco direct I believe. Batteries and chargers can be gotten from IMRbatteries, Illumn.com or other similar places.

For me, this is my vape shop lol. Between lots of helpful folks on this forum, many are builders, vendors, reviewers. Once in awhile reddit or ecig forums but 95% of the time it's here. Discussions about new things, what things work or don't, good sources for various stuff whether juice, diy supplies, wick, wire, batteries. The few local b&m stores around me look like hole in the wall places and doubt they have a 1/10th of the knowledge of folks here do.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see a lot of new RDA's coming out, and a bunch of them including a squonk compatible center pin as squonking seems to be becoming more popular/mainstream. I also see a lot of new less expensive clone squonk boxes coming into the market as well. Squonking gives you the best of both worlds, great flavor of an RDA, and the ability to vape for long periods of time without dripping/refilling a tank.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There are tons of rda's still coming out. The Goon 1.5 just came out last week. China is pumping them out at a gazillion a day..(LMFAO). You can check out US sites and Chinese sites. I really dont go to a b&m anymore. Just once is awhile to just talk to people i know there. I DIY and build my own coils or buy coils i cant build from a buddy online. If you have instagram or facebook, the companys are always dropping rda's. Just gotta know where to look.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im from a very rural part of my state. I drive an hour to my nearest b&m shop. They offer zero RDA/RTA's. When I asked the dude why, he said, "You cant beat what they're coming out with. These new kits are all you really need". He was talking about Smok. They have everything Smok, some pico kits, and cleito's. Thats it. I cant even get wire there anymore.

IDK. I think there are absolutely tons of RDA's and wire available online. it seems another 1 or 2 new RDA's hit the market every couple weeks.

I think selling wire and rda's isn't really in the interest of most B&M stores because it creates less dependence on your local B&M. Making coils and diy juice really eliminates the need to ever step foot in a vape shop.
There are still a lot of RDA'S out there and more being designed. Love the Druga, then there are a number of other RDA'S released from Geekvape, MCV and others.

So no, RDA'S are certainly not dying out. Unscrupulous B&M's talk shit about them and RTA's cause then you're not coming in every week and a half for the shit factory coils. They make a lot of money off of them.

Factory shit coils are still nowhere to matching the flavor and performance of RDA's and RTA's, not even close. So they got to talk shit about them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There are still a lot of RDA'S out there and more being designed. Love the Druga, then there are a number of other RDA'S released from Geekvape, MCV and others.

So no, RDA'S are certainly not dying out. Unscrupulous B&M's talk shit about them and RTA's cause then you're not coming in every week and a half for the shit factory coils. They make a lot of money off of them.

Factory shit coils are still nowhere to matching the flavor and performance of RDA's and RTA's, not even close. So they got to talk shit about them.

This ^^^^^^

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't get it. I subscribe to the 3Fvape vendor forum and new RDA's are released on a weekly and some times on a daily basis. The latest dariling is almost every new RDA now comes with an optional bottom feed pin. I don't exactly see a shriveled up market and I don't think manufacturers are only turning them out for shits and giggles.

Of course, if local vape shops want to make a killing they will only be stocking and selling manufactured RDTA coils at $5.00 or more a pop that might only last a few days instead of spools of wire that could replace a multitude of those high markup coils. Reason #245 why I don't buy gear in vape shops. Just sayin...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now to the subject of where to find US sites for RDA's and RTA's, here's my favorites I regularly troll for gear

Dragons Den
Kidney Puncher
eciggity
ecig.com
Subtank Supply
Vapor Kings

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Coval Vapes and Subtank Supply and Element Vapes are some of my faves

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't get it. I subscribe to the 3Fvape vendor forum and new RDA's are released on a weekly and some times on a daily basis. The latest dariling is almost every new RDA now comes with an optional bottom feed pin. I don't exactly see a shriveled up market and I don't think manufacturers are only turning them out for shits and giggles.

Of course, if local vape shops want to make a killing they will only be stocking and selling manufactured RDTA coils at $5.00 or more a pop that might only last a few days instead of spools of wire that could replace a multitude of those high markup coils. Reason #245 why I don't buy gear in vape shops. Just sayin...
Thus why so many people buy online, I'm more than happy to pay a reasonable B&M tax if they bothered to carry quality wick, wire and other rebuild supplies, but they don't. They just choose to push what they can make a killing off the entry level Vaper.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it seems another 1 or 2 new RDA's hit the market every couple weeks.

Yep, and 99% of them are all the same. Atomizers (RDA or otherwise) that have any truly interesting innovative feature are few and far between: I own most of them and they all fit in a small cardboard box.

So yeah, 1 or 2 new RDAs every couple of weeks, but they're all variations of the same boring format. Same for boxes, same for tanks, same for just about anything in the vape world nowadays.

Just look at the videos from the various Youtube reviewers, who dutifully do the manufacturers' PR job each time they get shit sent for free: they're all the same - so much so that it's starting to show that it's just a source of income for them, and nothing that truly interests them as genuine vape enthusiasts anymore. Hell, they're so bored they even review fidget spinners now...

Them Chinese are milking the waning vape boom for all it's worth, and recycling the same old blockbusters that once had success Holywood-style. All the actors in the marketspace are playing along, but I think real vapers aren't exactly excited by the offering these days despite the plethora of new stuff hitting the shelves.

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I've noticed tge same thing, and I've asked a lot of shop owners why. Ever since the FDA decreed that B&Ms cannot build, RDAs have suffered a decline. Turns out, most folks don't want to build...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Totally. There are a few shops that still do. There is a shop a few towns over, and they do sell RDAs, but like others have commented, he jacks the price up because he can. Additionally, he only sells ready-made coils and will not sell the wire. I picked up the ijoy combo from him last week, and didn't think to check priced online. The cost to me...double.

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I'm a relatively new to vaping ( about 6 months) but I actually think that RTAs and RDTAs are replacing the RDA, if at all. With the only advantage that you don't have to carry a bottle of juice and frequently drip.
I have used tank kits but as I'm vaping a lot more lately, I quickly did the math and prebuilt coils come at a very high price comparing to spool of wire and a bag of cotton. Also, people like me who like to try different flavors waste a lot of money using the prebuilt coils. And, the tanks cost about the same, so I switched to RTAs.
Also, FDA is pushing hard, so I don't want to be stuck with their choices..

To answer your questions:
1. There is many imo
Elemenvape, myvaporstore, vapordna, huff & puffers,VapeNW (closed right now but will reopen soon), vaporider...just to name a few that I order from.
2. I'm in South Jersey and there is two well stoked stores here and maybe more but I only buy juice from them simply because prices are crazy comparing to online.
3. IMO retail stores see lower demand simply because of their price tag... They mainly get the complete newbie who needs to not think of the ohm's law or someone like me who has a favorite tank and just buys coils. Or, again as me, saw the Unwell Crown 3 and pulled the trigger to try it and see what it's all about ( $5 extra on price.) But, they wanted to sell me the Vaporesso Nebula for $69.99 when I got it online for $45.00...while, they sold an old Kanger Kit to a young man for $50.00 where online is $20-25..
Don't misunderstand me, supporting local businesses is good but I won't do it if the price is close to double.
Just my thoughts..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I picked up the combo from ijoy, re-wicked it because the shop i got it from stuffed it with cotton, and I was confused why would someone do that... whelp, if you dont fluff, or fill up all the gaps, the tank leaks. If you know of any other RDTAs that are more human proof, LMK?

I noticed that juice flavors differ per region. Context, I don't like fruit, and prefer cream, coffee and like flavors. In northern NJ, super limited selection. When I was in Seattle, never an issue.

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years

There are a few of these shops in my area, and in the counter next to the kits, are glass pipes and such. No issue with how someone does their thing, but it says a lot about the customer demand.

I am thinking shopping online is now what we need to do until the B&Ms sort this out.

Last edited:

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
You can still find RDA's its just not as big of a swarm by a bunch of different manufacturers/cloners..The kennedy and the goon and quite a few other companies still sell authentic rda's at select vape shops if thats what youre after.....You can still find a few rda clones on Fasttech and 3F vape and im sure a few other places.

I love my goon!

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I see geekvape and others pumping out plenty of rda's. Maybe because I buy online and not from brick and mortar stores. BKTOAD may be on to something, stores want a level of dependence and return customers. Those who get in the habit of buying coils generally come back to repurchase. Wire and cotton can be purchased plenty of places and generally for less, in combination with the regs about stopping building in the shops.

Even if the regs weren't in place, it's easier to hire someone at a register who can simply hand a package with little to no knowledge other than 'yes, these coils are compatible with your tank, here's a package'. They don't require people who know how to build or set things up.

B&M's, not sure what the deal is. If they can't get things for wholesale or if wholesale is basically what other vendors are offering people online. It's almost as if they buy things at full retail then slam a markup on it making the price less than competitive. Kits are improving, they're including multicoil replacement heads and things but I don't think it's a replacement for building.

I really can't say why, maybe it's legit based on limited buying power but I've seen 'mom & pop' translate to 'overpriced' like it's a justification. Granted bigger outlets like walmart or chain grocery stores have more buying power but they're all similar. A good example are local 'farm & feed' stores. You can grab a snickers bar from the grocery store for around $1. The farm store? They're selling the same size candy bar for $1.89. On top of it they're old and dusty like they've been around awhile. Go to buy other things like motor oil and they're charging $6-7 for the same quart I can get for $3.89 up the road. That's a hard sell, call it 'mom & pop', 'local' or whatever but I don't like getting jacked either. Vape shops seem to be the same way.

Eciggity is another online u.s. vendor (hawaii based, fast shipping though). I don't know that they have the absolute cheapest prices, they have several rda's though. Probably 50 or so different rda's, both genuine and some clones (clearly marked). They've got the tsunami, regular, 24, with and without window, the doode (squidoode's), troll v2 standard and 25mm, sapor v2, recoil, peerless, lynx, lush plus, druga etc.
https://eciggity.com/rebuildable-1/

They've also got a few other things, a bit of wick, wire, batteries, chargers. A little limited but those are things that can easily be gotten elsewhere. Japanese organic cotton is cheap and easy to come by on Amazon, a lot of folks get their wire from temco direct I believe. Batteries and chargers can be gotten from IMRbatteries, Illumn.com or other similar places.

For me, this is my vape shop lol. Between lots of helpful folks on this forum, many are builders, vendors, reviewers. Once in awhile reddit or ecig forums but 95% of the time it's here. Discussions about new things, what things work or don't, good sources for various stuff whether juice, diy supplies, wick, wire, batteries. The few local b&m stores around me look like hole in the wall places and doubt they have a 1/10th of the knowledge of folks here do.

Thank you for the links!

With B&Ms there is one store both online and on both east and west coast. I have a neutral opinion about these guys so I am leaving their name out of it, as I have had some good purchases when living in Seattle.

What bothered me is how this one location was up-selling. There was one location where the store manager would flirt and blow clouds in your face, to up-sell you on builds, juice and other stuff. If the advertisements were not bad enough, with the "buy this and you will get laid" ads, that is the last thing I want when buying batteries or other stuff in person. So I stopped going, and went elsewhere.

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I see a lot of new RDA's coming out, and a bunch of them including a squonk compatible center pin as squonking seems to be becoming more popular/mainstream. I also see a lot of new less expensive clone squonk boxes coming into the market as well. Squonking gives you the best of both worlds, great flavor of an RDA, and the ability to vape for long periods of time without dripping/refilling a tank.

Cool. I had tanks for a long time, but I like to switch up flavors. If you know of any RDTAs with smaller tanks, LMK.

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Now to the subject of where to find US sites for RDA's and RTA's, here's my favorites I regularly troll for gear

Dragons Den
Kidney Puncher
eciggity
ecig.com
Subtank Supply
Vapor Kings

Thank you. I was also buying from vaporbeast for a while, but customer service is not as good as it was a couple years ago, and the stock is thinning.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you. I was also buying from vaporbeast for a while, but customer service is not as good as it was a couple years ago, and the stock is thinning.
I have had zero issues from the ones I listed and they have good stuff. I've had to tag support from Kidney Puncher before, outstanding support. Dragon's Den, takes a couple of days due to it being a one man show but Pete will get back to you and provides great support. The gear there is top notch, lots of high end Pinoy gear. Plus he's the only US distributor of a few Filipino companies like MCM and Gatube Creations (Vape Passion).

submerger

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Have you looked at the Avacado 22?

Just picked up:
Demon Killer Wire

Shuriken RDA by Cthulhu
Avocado 24mm RDTA
Cotton
Mutation X V6 RDA
MXJO 18650 IMR 3000mah 35A
Juice (Bearded & Charlie's)
Some other odds and ends

Decided to try out elementvape as they have just about everything.
I will check out the other sites for new and specialty items as I like the shops that
@r055co suggested.http://vapingunderground.com/members/r055co.41345/

Cheer's everyone. Will post build pics in the coming weeks.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are lots of RDA's still. I do see a big shift in popularity toward RTA's now as well. My theory is that the B&M stores generally have a clientele that is more geared toward waking in the store, buying something that is "ready to vape" and only having to know how to put coils in it when the coil gets bad. I've got a few friends like this that have mods and tanks that they have no idea what to do with and they paid twice as much for them as they could have on line only because it was right there and they either A) haven't learned enough about vaping to get into the detailed aspects of it, or B) Don't want to wait to have something delivered... Or both.

Ex: a friend of mine just bought a Alien220w kit for like 120 bucks or something, and was asking me why it was burning his throat when he got up above a certain wattage. He thought he bought something defective because it said it would do 220w and he couldn't tolerate it that high. I started to explain to him why and he just kind of shrugged and said "I don't know what you're talking about". So, I set it up for him and told him to try it like I set it and he was amazed, and began asking and trying to learn... Long story short, he walked into a store, bought the thing and had no clue what to do with it.

Same goes for RDA's... A lot of times in the shops, the general population that comes in there is either there to buy something to start vaping with, etc.. Those folks don't buy RDA's... They want to walk out, get in their car, and vape on down the road. The ones that have learned about it and took it up as a hobby don't shop in local stores too much anymore. They order what they want on-line because a) they know exactly what they want, b) they know it's cheaper online and there's a better variety, and c) they are spared the bullshit sales lines the Justin Beiber-looking kid behind the counter at the vape shop is trying to throw at em... Don't get me wrong, there are enthusiast shops around here and there where the people are genuinely helpful, but you get the point.

VU Sponsors