Become a Patron!

Ribbon wire Spools and Lengths

Alright, so I'm a fairly new builder and have only used .4x.1 ribbon wire. I had a 15-25' spool of it (its not in front of me, not sure exactly the length). But as much as I tried, I COULD NOT stack that wire! It was just too small and wouldn't flatten enough to lay flat and straight. Kinks, bends, and all that nonsense....
I believe I heard on YouTube that if you buy ribbon wire, you should buy spools that are over 50'. Because the wire will come off of the spool fairly straight and not kinked and messed up... Is this true?
I'm basically out of all my wire and want to buy a bunch soon and make sure I get the right kind/length...

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Grab your free end of your ribbon with some good pliers and pull your desired length. Don't cut it just give it a little tug and stretch. It should straighten it out. Make sure your cutters are good and sharp. I may even recommend using a separate pair specifically for ribbon so it cuts straight and won't leave your ends bent making it harder to stack. Also a little bit of water on the finger tips while running along the pieces may help them stack. Then tape the ends with some good high tack masking tape. Try working from the center out also. Stacking ribbon has been one of the hardest things I've come across when building.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is also a method I use. This is 10 long strands of .4 pulled off a small 30' spool. I tug to stretch then after getting the middle stacked, I bend to make a loop and bind with 36g on both end making it a 20 ply. Use tape if you like as well

ecf76585481613f7a8e692c7e12209fc.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors