Become a Patron!

Should out of state vendors be charging state taxes?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes. The US vendors have.
There is a case that was won that allows states to collect taxes on out of state sales.
Now that Covid ran the government cash taps dry they will be looking for ways to take advantage of laws meant to take more of your money.
Google: The wayfair case

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
They CAN but it's literally illegal. The sale didn't happen in the state. The company doesn't reside in that state. But you know....it's not like we have a legitimate government and justice system or anything. It's basically rule by decree at this point.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
They CAN but it's literally illegal. The sale didn't happen in the state. The company doesn't reside in that state. But you know....it's not like we have a legitimate government and justice system or anything. It's basically rule by decree at this point.
I've stopped buying from Direct Vapor because they're literally the only company that charges me extra taxes, 2 extra taxes- state + county! It's an extra 7%!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My understanding, and I must admit it's from "way back when," is that if a state collects sales tax on an out-of-state sale, they are supposed to turn those funds over to the state where the sale occurred.

I would guess that the reason it's being allowed now is that no one would declare their out-of-state purchases on their state income taxes. Billions of dollars of internet sales were taking place and people weren't paying sales taxes on them at all unless the merchant had a location in the state where the purchaser lived. If we purchased things over the Internet from another state, we were supposed to keep track of those purchase amounts and declare them on state taxes, and then pay whatever the state's sales tax rate was on that amount at tax time.

VU Sponsors