Become a Patron!

Smok TFV8 RBA section is poop.

BananaSammiches

Member For 4 Years
So, let me tell you guys a little lesson about the TFV8 RBA that I just learned the hard way. I got my TFV8 about a week and a half ago. After using the Griffin 25mm, which I learned has very week screws that strip very easily making it completely useless, I was really excited about the RBA section of this tank. The very first thing I did was throw a fused Clapton build--24g fused in 40g, 7 wraps each--wicked it up, and went to town. I was totally blown away by it. The flavor was great, and the clouds were unreal, better even than the Griffin. Sweet, right? Nope. After attempting to switch out my coils for a different build (same specs, just less wraps), I learned that the posts in this RBA fucking SUCK. They are incredibly weak, and the positive post snapped on me where it meets the base while pinching and pulling my coils. The problem with the posts, is that the negative one isn't milled into the deck, and the positive post is held on to the deck by a piece that looks like it's only 2mm thick, if that. I'm extremely disappointed, as I personally prefer building my own coils as opposed to using pre-mades. Perhaps I might have been pushing the limits of what this RBA was designed for, but in my opinion, if you're going to include an RBA section with enough build space to put some pretty decent-sized coils in it, the rest of it should be able to hold up. End rant.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many use the tool types like the tri tools , these are designed to strip the tools before the screws to prevent this , i know does not help you , but a least it is a replaceable RBA deck , an possibly replacement screws , maybe its salvageable or not ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, let me tell you guys a little lesson about the TFV8 RBA that I just learned the hard way. I got my TFV8 about a week and a half ago. After using the Griffin 25mm, which I learned has very week screws that strip very easily making it completely useless, I was really excited about the RBA section of this tank. The very first thing I did was throw a fused Clapton build--24g fused in 40g, 7 wraps each--wicked it up, and went to town. I was totally blown away by it. The flavor was great, and the clouds were unreal, better even than the Griffin. Sweet, right? Nope. After attempting to switch out my coils for a different build (same specs, just less wraps), I learned that the posts in this RBA fucking SUCK. They are incredibly weak, and the positive post snapped on me where it meets the base while pinching and pulling my coils. The problem with the posts, is that the negative one isn't milled into the deck, and the positive post is held on to the deck by a piece that looks like it's only 2mm thick, if that. I'm extremely disappointed, as I personally prefer building my own coils as opposed to using pre-mades. Perhaps I might have been pushing the limits of what this RBA was designed for, but in my opinion, if you're going to include an RBA section with enough build space to put some pretty decent-sized coils in it, the rest of it should be able to hold up. End rant.
Can't expect much from a $30 buck atty. If you looking for something more stout, ya really have to buy a better atty.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Though the TFV8 is quite impressive, it's still just a subtank with an optional RBA head and not a real RTA.

BananaSammiches

Member For 4 Years
Though the TFV8 is quite impressive, it's still just a subtank with an optional RBA head and not a real RTA.
True, however, why even include the RBA section if it's going to be such crap? I love everything else about the tank, but the RBA needs a serious overhaul.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, however, why even include the RBA section if it's going to be such crap? I love everything else about the tank, but the RBA needs a serious overhaul.
The good news is that since it's replaceable you can always buy a new RBA head, to replace the faulty one.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't use the RBA that came with the TFV8, and I've got three of them..I do like a real RTA and the
Sense RTA-2 is one of my favorites...big velocity style deck, big juice channels, wide open airflow and a true 6ml tank..beats trying to build those small RBA's all to hell...TFV8 with the T8 coils is the way I like to vape that tank, just my 2¢

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Can't expect much from a $30 buck atty. If you looking for something more stout, ya really have to buy a better atty.
BULLSHIT
and they're not talking about the atty they're talking about the rba section, which might be crappy by design, so they sell you more premade coil heads

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BULLSHIT
and they're not talking about the atty they're talking about the rba section, which might be crappy by design, so they sell you more premade coil heads
That could be true..least I'm getting a month or so out of the V8T8 coils vaping them everyday..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The good news is that since it's replaceable you can always buy a new RBA head, to replace the faulty one.
That is what is intended , they are still , replaceable disposable decks , if you have other post screws maybe better quality ones might be better option if you ever get them out or buy another , where as a dedicated RTA is designed for constantly changing rebuilding , the rba decks are after thought decks not always designed for dedicated permanent uses , Ive just seen a guide tear down on replacing the cotton from the throw away coils for this type subtank stock coils

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

BananaSammiches

Member For 4 Years
I'm going to try the RBA later today.

Stuff for sale...Inquire within.
My advice to you would be to use smaller gauge wire for the cores of you're doing any kind of Clapton build. 24G was obviously too beefy and moving the coil around once it was in the posts was too much for the deck to handle. I had to learn that the hard way, unfortunately. Lol

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a pair of aliens in one I my rbas. No problems with connections or the posts. It works fine for me, but as with everything, mileage varies.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My advice to you would be to use smaller gauge wire for the cores of you're doing any kind of Clapton build. 24G was obviously too beefy and moving the coil around once it was in the posts was too much for the deck to handle. I had to learn that the hard way, unfortunately. Lol
I always heat the coils till there glowing super orange then move them as needed. I never try to move a coil when it's cold. not sure if that's the case with the OP? still haven't tried the RBA yet. w noting the single big coil that came with the tank. I did try the hooka coil holy shit, 171w it chucks clouds too much for me so washed it off and stuck it back in the box lol

BananaSammiches

Member For 4 Years
I always heat the coils till there glowing super orange then move them as needed. I never try to move a coil when it's cold. not sure if that's the case with the OP? still haven't tried the RBA yet. w noting the single big coil that came with the tank. I did try the hooka coil holy shit, 171w it chucks clouds too much for me so washed it off and stuck it back in the box lol

Yeah, I did that. I must've just gotten a defective unit. Heh. Unit.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BULLSHIT
Hey knucklehead, that's what the damn thing was made for, prebuilt coils. It's not a rebuildable, with premade coils as an option...:devil:

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I did that. I must've just gotten a defective unit. Heh. Unit.
OK tonight I'm going to try and mess with the RBA. we'll see if it really is "poop" edit didn't make it to the desk to build fell asleep!

Last edited:

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey knucklehead, that's what the damn thing was made for, prebuilt coils. It's not a rebuildable, with premade coils as an option...:devil:
Hey dipshit, what the fuck are you talking about, the RBA section make the fucking thing, wait for it.....wait for it....rebuildable:bunny:

BananaSammiches

Member For 4 Years
So, I ended up doing a little more digging into the RBA section to see what other issues people were having, and apparently, the peek insulator is of poor quality and has been literally melting on people, causing the atty to short. Way to go, SMOK.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Get the proto, it's the most under-rated tank ever. I haven't used anything else since i got it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors