Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And it's still a vape shop? *grin*
I'm pretty sure he brought in his family members to help him out. All the employees that knew anything or were any good have quit. I guess the owner is an asshat. He stays in the back, I have only seen him once in all the years I've gone there.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty sure he brought in his family members to help him out. All the employees that knew anything or were any good have quit. I guess the owner is an asshat. He stays in the back, I have only seen him once in all the years I've gone there.
That sounds like a few of the so called vape shops I went into. And the only person I see is some kid behind the counter either texting or playing a game on his phone... not knowing the difference between an RDA and an RTA.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That sounds like a few of the so called vape shops I went into. And the only person I see is some kid behind the counter either texting or playing a game on his phone... not knowing the difference between an RDA and an RTA.
That's the type. I have yet to ever go to a really nice reputable vape shop. I would have to travel pretty far to find one.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's the type. I have yet to ever go to a really nice reputable vape shop. I would have to travel pretty far to find one.
There are 2 vape shops that are decent around here. That is 2, out of about 10. Sadly, they very rarely have anything I go there for. They may sell mods and tanks, but not drip tips, coils (other than proprietary types), or cotton. Sure, they sell juice, but not for the price I can mix my own for... and only one mixes it in store.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We have 10 shops within 1 to 15 miles from me and they're all exactly what you've described.

I'm lucky that if I drive just a bit farther there are two absolutely great shops in Toronto - Vapes by Enushi and ecigarettes.ca where you can get anything you're looking for and the owners know more than the staff at the 10 shops near me combined.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

One in Ripley is an adjunct to one in Charleston. The other already marks stuff up three times. The one from Charleston is the one that got me on that Ijoy. Ultimately figured they both were no account.

Like you I'd like to support local business but it's first at least got to earn my business. My bar isn't too high but if they don't even try, why should I? Seeming rip off shops goes nowhere toward getting over my bar.

And both these shops also have walk in the door feel what tells you, "hey you're not welcome here". No they rather naive local yocals what think $20 for a 15 ml bottle of juice isn't expensive, or that pods, pens are all the bomb. Yeah, so no, I don't support that kind of business.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sure, they sell juice, but not for the price I can mix my own for... and only one mixes it in store.

Can mix unflavored for about $0.04 per ml, flavoring might bump me to around $0.06. I might see to pay up to $0.25 per ml for some fair to middlin' juice, local or online vendor. Above a quarter per ml though, will stick with DIM (Do It Myself). That doesn't include the genuinely "special" juices. Those might let me pay up to $0.50 per ml. But they better be extremely "special".

"Blended specifically for you who has very limited sense of taste. Vape that and taste ambrosia!"

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
There's a shop about 20 miles south of me that makes their own juice which is pretty damn good but they don't have shit for gear any more.
The guy says he got sued because a Purge mech tube he sold ended up venting on the user. He said there was nothing wrong with the Purge but the guy burned his hand because a battery vented. Ended up going to court and he lost. Wasn't worth the trouble with these enabled fuckers anymore. He doesn't sell any more gear. Just coils and juice. Pretty sad because he used to deal in some high end shit and had great folks down there vaping all the time. A great place to hang out but now ended because some douchebag didn't know what he was doing!

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There's a shop about 20 miles south of me that makes their own juice which is pretty damn good but they don't have shit for gear any more.
The guy says he got sued because a Purge mech tube he sold ended up venting on the user. He said there was nothing wrong with the Purge but the guy burned his hand because a battery vented. Ended up going to court and he lost. Wasn't worth the trouble with these enabled fuckers anymore. He doesn't sell any more gear. Just coils and juice. Pretty sad because he used to deal in some high end shit and had great folks down there vaping all the time. A great place to hang out but now ended because some douchebag didn't know what he was doing!
That is very unfortunate. Morons think it is their job to ruin shit.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ordered

42560473b7469f93cc153d7413001184.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have just spent an hour of misery and despair trying to contact italian customs on the phone

Nothing achieved by that either

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The first one is an Armageddon, the last one is a Molly (i think v1), what is the middle one?
You are correct! And the middle one is less common - it's an italian mod from Galactika. An old one, called the Vega.

I got help replacing the guts, which had a protruding 510 and a copper strip with a little spring under it, but now it's a flush Reset and silver! It's just such a nice feeling delrin box, I'm glad I revived it... I have a black one, too!

1611982984599.png Galakticas2020-1b.jpg

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You are correct! And the middle one is less common - it's an italian mod from Galactika. An old one, called the Vega.

I got help replacing the guts, which had a protruding 510 and a copper strip with a little spring under it, but now it's a flush Reset and silver! It's just such a nice feeling delrin box, I'm glad I revived it... I have a black one, too!

View attachment 177335 View attachment 177336
Those do look like some nice mods. I haven't seen those before, but I like em!

Gotta love those Resets, probably the best 510 out there for mech squonkers.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Man, the Topside SQ looks great. But vaping mechs is such a pain in the ass...
I actually find regulated mods more of a pain to run, but that is just my opinion. I don't like the whole clicking buttons to wake a mod up and clicking buttons as fast as you can to shut it off and turn it or figuring out the secret codes to input so you can access menus. On a mech, it has one button that does one thing.

I do fully understand, and respect, why some do not feel comfortable with a mech. But as long as you treat your equipment well, keep up on maintenance, practice battery safety, and be mindful of how you use and carry the mod, (all of which you should do with regulated mods too really) the chances of having a serious issue is low.

With all the regulations coming down on vaping right now (across the world, not just the US), having a mech in your collection could be a wise investment for the future, even if you are not ready to use one yet. The info to safely use one will always be around, but the option to buy one may not be. My local shop refuses to deal with mechs. So if I cannot order them online and have them shipped to me, I will not be able to get them very easily after the shipping ban.

Yea but sometimes I like to vape at 75 Watts, sometimes at 60 Watts. I love the fact that they are unbreakable, but they nevee give me the right amount of Power i want.Also, which RDA is on the right SQ?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Always having to make sure your coils are right for the batteries you are using just to prevent your hand from being burned to a crisp is just one reason I don't trust mechs. Besides, I have noticed that (On my coils) the ohm reading will change from .035 to .068 over just a 2 week period of use. On a mech, that can be hazardous.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea but sometimes I like to vape at 75 Watts, sometimes at 60 Watts. I love the fact that they are unbreakable, but they nevee give me the right amount of Power i want.Also, which RDA is on the right SQ?
Thats and easy one. If you like 75w, use a .23 ohm coil. On a fesh battery it will give around that. As you vape it, it will go down to about 60w as the battery gets to 3.7v.

Hahaha, I'm just messing around with ya. But those figures are accurate.

Always having to make sure your coils are right for the batteries you are using just to prevent your hand from being burned to a crisp is just one reason I don't trust mechs. Besides, I have noticed that (On my coils) the ohm reading will change from .035 to .068 over just a 2 week period of use. On a mech, that can be hazardous.
I have never had one of my coils have that big of an ohm change, that is concerning on any mod honestly. And I have used one coil for around a year before changing it once. It does rise a little, like .02 ohms sometimes when it gets real dirty. But a quick dry burn and cleaning fixes it right up and back to the original reading.

EDIT-BTW, I am assuming you mean 0.35 to 0.68 ohms, am I correct in assuming that?

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fair enough. I just grab different mods for different hits, lol.

That's a Tobhino RDA. Cheap (if you can find them anywhere anymore), but pretty good...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thats and easy one. If you like 75w, use a .23 ohm coil. On a fesh battery it will give around that. As you vape it, it will go down to about 60w as the battery gets to 3.7v.

Hahaha, I'm just messing around with ya. But those figures are accurate.

I have never had one of my coils have that big of an ohm change, that is concerning on any mod honestly. And I have used one coil for around a year before changing it once. It does rise a little, like .02 ohms sometimes when it gets real dirty. But a quick dry burn and cleaning fixes it right up and back to the original reading.

EDIT-BTW, I am assuming you mean 0.35 to 0.68 ohms, am I correct in assuming that?
Yep, that's what I meant.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got used to vaping at a certain set of settings. I vape at a relatively low wattage. For instance... 30 watts, 3.38 volts, ohms changed from 0.44 to 0.38 in the last 30 minutes on one mod.
I tried vaping at 60 watts, and could not stand it. My juice tasted burnt. There was nothing smooth about it. The flavor was ruined. How people can vape at even higher wattage than that is beyond me.
So... I prefer my regulated mods.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got used to vaping at a certain set of settings. I vape at a relatively low wattage. For instance... 30 watts, 3.38 volts, ohms changed from 0.44 to 0.38 in the last 30 minutes on one mod.
I tried vaping at 60 watts, and could not stand it. My juice tasted burnt. There was nothing smooth about it. The flavor was ruined. How people can vape at even higher wattage than that is beyond me.
There is something seriously wrong there. Your ohms should not be changing that much, especially that rapidly. If my atty was wildly changing ohms like that I wouldn't use it on a mech either, or even on a regulated mod honestly. But there is something going wrong there for sure. Most likely in the atty, like the coil is not tightened down all the way or the 510 pin is loose. It could even possibly be a loose wire connection on the 510 of the mod. Whatever it is, I would look into it and see if I could find the issue.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There is something seriously wrong there. Your ohms should not be changing that much, especially that rapidly. If my atty was wildly changing ohms like that I wouldn't use it on a mech either, or even on a regulated mod honestly. But there is something going wrong there for sure. Most likely in the atty, like the coil is not tightened down all the way or the 510 pin is loose. It could even possibly be a loose wire connection on the 510 of the mod. Whatever it is, I would look into it and see if I could find the issue.
I get fluctuations on every mod I use. I will also mention that it does not matter whether I wrap them myself, or use premade staple coils. They all fluctuate. I have been vaping too long to be making the same mistake on every build to cause fluctuations on ohm readings. Sometimes the readings go up. Sometimes they go down.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Some regulated mods will show the rise/fall in ohms with stainless steel coils.
0.44 cooling down to 0.38 is not a large fluctuation for SS coils.
That is true, great point. If that is what is happening then it really isn't a big deal. The going from .35 to .68 that was mentioned earlier was what really concerned me.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Keep in mind that airflow has a lot to do with that. I vape at 35-40 watts on a regulated device with a single coil RTA or RDA.

When I build a mech to hit at 75 watts on a dual coil Kennedy RDA the amount of airflow coming in makes it a nice warm, not hot, smooth vape, as close to perfect for me as I can get.
Saying higher wattage/power in general makes it a negative experience had more to do with the rda or rta you used than the wattage. My dual coil Kennedy or Goon at a 75W build doesn't hit much warmer or any less flavor than my Juggerknot mini at 40 watts because there is so much more af on the dual coils atty's and you're also sending that power to two coils.

Last edited:

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Keep in mind that airflow has a lot to do with that. I vape at 35-40 watts on a regulated device with a single coil RTA or RDA, 60+ watts on that set up would suck imo.

When I build a mech to hit at 75 watts on a dual coil Kennedy RDA the amount of airflow coming in makes it a nice warm, not hot, smooth vape, as close to perfect for me as I can get.
Saying higher wattage/power in general makes it a negative experience had more to do with the rda or rta you used than the wattage. My dual coil Kennedy or Goon at a 75W build doesn't hit much warmer or any less flavor than my Juggerknot mini at 40 watts because there is so much more af on the dual coils atty's and you're also sending that power to two coils.
This is absolutely true. I prefer a single .16 ohm coil on my squonkers. This lands me roughly in the 90w range (after factoring voltage drop). I cannot run this build in a whole lot of RDAs. I actually have problems finding single coil RDAs that have enough airflow to support this build a lot of the time. I will add a wrap and go up to around .2 on RDAs that have more restricted airflow. That drops me down to the 70w range. It usually ends up feeling the same as the .16 on the wide open airflow atties. Airflow is a huge factor that is easily overlooked when building coils.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mechs are OK

I really dislike contact maintenance though. And unfortunately notice really early in the deterioration of the vape

I stayed away from regulated until 2016. For similar reasons to above (and lack of options at the time) The DNA75 mono changed things for me. Doesn't randomly sleep like dicodes etc.

I chose my wattage by using a DMM to measure output voltage on a parallel mech Squonk. And just copied that over

Have since changed from a parallel 26awg ni80 single coil, to a single strand 24awg ni80 at the same watts (different voltage obviously) and get better coil life

And now on DNA60

Cannot stand the C variants. DNA75C is terrible. Dicodes is terrible. I only tolerate the non colour 75 and 60

I'm too lazy for mechs.

REO were fun. Had tmods and cc and vr wood mods and dibis

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mechs are OK

I really dislike contact maintenance though. And unfortunately notice really early in the deterioration of the vape

I stayed away from regulated until 2016. For similar reasons to above (and lack of options at the time) The DNA75 mono changed things for me. Doesn't randomly sleep like dicodes etc.

I chose my wattage by using a DMM to measure output voltage on a parallel mech Squonk. And just copied that over

Have since changed from a parallel 26awg ni80 single coil, to a single strand 24awg ni80 at the same watts (different voltage obviously) and get better coil life

And now on DNA60

Cannot stand the C variants. DNA75C is terrible. Dicodes is terrible. I only tolerate the non colour 75 and 60

I'm too lazy for mechs.

REO were fun. Had tmods and cc and vr wood mods and dibis
Maintenance time is kind of like my meditation time. I find it a calming and relaxing task. But I have always been a weirdo, and wouldn't know what to do with myself if I couldn't tinker on something at least once a day.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't hear much conversation about mech tubes and mesh RDAs, but I think, of all the mech setups I have, the absolute perfect one for me is this Broadside Nashed Admiral clone I got from 2F with a Profile RDA on it, air wide open. I had to step the battery down to an 18650 because the 20700 hit too hard for me. I love how little power it takes to drive a mesh RDA on a mech tube, battery life is phenomenal and the vape is fantastic. Coil is at about 0.2 ohms, I think. Looks like that works out to about 80W, of course descending as the battery drains. Running a Samsung 20S in it.

This is the ONLY device I can vape at this kind of wattage, and my draws are fairly short, because I can feel the heat a'coming. lol

Guess I just posted this in the Bonkers thread, didn't I? Well it seems to fit in with current conversation, anyway. If it bothers anyone, I'll get rid of it.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I looked at how pitiful my first squonk mod looked, and decided to beautify it. It's the one redone in gold. It used to be white, them (somehow) got spray paint splatter on it as well as other gunk. It could not all be just cleaned off, so I had to just cover up all the fugly.

20210212_191021.jpg

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I looked at how pitiful my first squonk mod looked, and decided to beautify it. It's the one redone in gold. It used to be white, them (somehow) got spray paint splatter on it as well as other gunk. It could not all be just cleaned off, so I had to just cover up all the fugly.

View attachment 178094
A COV Wraith. I have a few of those i got on a big sale like 2 years ago.
Used it for a while until that plastic bottle got on my nerves. Found a tutorial last year on how to put a silicone bottle in it but just haven't done it yet. Might try this weekend now that you've reminded me with your photo.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always said putting a tank on a squonker was...bonkers.
But I couldn't find an original 24mm Flave now that I want one. This just came out, and it's got the original Flave airflow, AND they (finally) made it a standard 810 tip. So I got one.
So far...airflow is PERFECT, flavor is AWESOME. And it SEEMS like I can vape away, and just squonk far less often, in exchange for a little extra height. I'm gonna call that all a big win.

Flavetank-mod1.jpg
Don't mind the gap, I'm probably going to put it on a different mod that isn't here yet, so I didn't bother to adjust. :)

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, so dumb question.
I got this bottle with a mod I bought used. Thought it would be like the one other "refill bottle" that I have. On that, the tippy top screws off, and there's a 510 that you screw on where an RDA would usually go and refill from the top.
But this - this you can only seem to unscrew the WHOLE top part, and it's just a bottle with a cap that has a tiny hole through it crosswise, so like, you could hang it on a chain, and carry some juice as a necklace.. Is there a different top that's missing? Is it used some other way? Is it just a bottle? LOL - I'm confused.
bottle.jpg

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK, so dumb question.
I got this bottle with a mod I bought used. Thought it would be like the one other "refill bottle" that I have. On that, the tippy top screws off, and there's a 510 that you screw on where an RDA would usually go and refill from the top.
But this - this you can only seem to unscrew the WHOLE top part, and it's just a bottle with a cap that has a tiny hole through it crosswise, so like, you could hang it on a chain, and carry some juice as a necklace.. Is there a different top that's missing? Is it used some other way? Is it just a bottle? LOL - I'm confused.
View attachment 178316
The refill bottle that came with my Purge Squonk mod looked practically identical to that one, but it was 510 threaded under the small cap on top. I have not seen one that does not have the 510 threading under the small cap. That is kinda weird.

Here is the one I got with my purge mod. It has the tiny hole like you mention and everything.
squonkrefillbottle_1200x630.jpg

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The refill bottle that came with my Purge Squonk mod looked practically identical to that one, but it was 510 threaded under the small cap on top. I have not seen one that does not have the 510 threading under the small cap. That is kinda weird.

Here is the one I got with my purge mod. It has the tiny hole like you mention and everything.
View attachment 178318
OK. I think the top-top is just stuck. I'll go twist the hell out of it...

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 178318
Yep - that's it, thanks!! It SO looked like a single piece - no hint of a seam, wouldn't turn...but now I got it and it's all good.

VU Sponsors