Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I absolutely have a "collection". Pretty sizeable one.
It's a hobby. I like fiddling with them (to a certain extent), and I like the variety of grabbing different ones each day - some wood, some delrin, different shapes, different RDA's. 99% are mech or mosfet squonkers.

I don't have a boat. Or guns. Or play golf. I only really have one other hobby, and that one makes money. So it's OK. :shades:

One of these days, I'll maybe try to get them all in a photo - but it's difficult, there's that many, lol.

km00

Member For 4 Years
Hey guys,

I’ve been looking for a stratum 303 clone for some time now, but seem to keep hitting dead ends. Did they stop making them ?

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Hey guys,

I’ve been looking for a stratum 303 clone for some time now, but seem to keep hitting dead ends. Did they stop making them ?
You mean like this?
77f9c7822b44a50c0b68be04f259e2b9.jpg

c90b6850a8d095d7a2d33810cdbee480.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A mod can't impact the vape as much as the atty.
Under a few circumstances at least, I can see how your average Temp Control fanatic could still disagree, typically by claiming that the atty and the mod are equally important, as TC can easily tend to be the thing to ruin it all (look at my sig, lol).

Further, comparing different RBAs by putting the same exact coil build in each is not always fair. (Even, if it is perfectly possible to achieve.) A lot of good performing RBAs only really start to shine after you put in a coil build that meets a certain, specific, set of various multiple criteria. I am now referring to things like how it changes behavior not only when it comes to flavor or warmth of the vape, but also other quality factors like spitback, density and texture/feel of the vapor each time when you change something about the coil specs and/or about the coil positioning, airflow adjustment (if adjustable) or wicking style, and, whether the airflow slams right into the coil(s) or is more widely dispersed than the area where the coil(s) is/are and how exactly it is dispersed, both before and after the air collides.

I guess my point is that mods, barring TC, are much less of a multifactorial kind of affair than attys as for how they ultimately define what comes out of the drip tip, but then, there is no linear relationship between the factual magnitude of differences and how the combined result of each of these differences is perceived by the person who does the vaping. Let me please rephrase that one. If you want to study a river, do you take out a bucket of water and stare at it on the shore?

As for what are the best colors. If it doesn't fuck up the cromotherapy of the murano glass beads in my stacked bracelets, no problemo! 💪

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wanting to retire 10 years early did it for me - had to settle for 50 some odd squonkers and maybe 30 nonsquonk mods, almost all quality mechanicals

Atties, no idea, but close to 200 and mostly high quality authentic

Before the deeming regs hammer really came down, to me the weak link was atties. I could make a mod myself fairly easily, an atomizer, not so much

Also before I quit collecting completely, I bought tons and tons of squonk parts, mainly from Moddog and a fair amount from Mod Maker, and tons from the REO closeout, plus several sheets of silver to make contacts, etc
So the 510 parts or full 510's and contacts? I need to check out those sites as I'd love to have spare.parts for my mech squonkers!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So the 510 parts or full 510's and contacts? I need to check out those sites as I'd love to have spare.parts for my mech squonkers!
Both, you can also get sets and bundles - also, you can make some contacts yourself from sheets of silver. They come in numerous thickness to accommodate individual mod needs

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mods: 8 - 10 various squonk mods here, likely 6 -7 of those are mechanical. Likely, as many mechanical tube mods and a few tubes with mosfets.

Attys: Around 10 - 16 various RDA/RSA all coming with BF pins. Probably 4 - 6 RDTA style.

Come to vaping in earnest a bit late, somewhere between 2009 - 2012 ish or so. Started with the Njoy cig-a-likes, moved to the eGo pen style. Spanky started whispering about squonking to me then, rebuilding, mechanical mods. I'd been vaping about a year, maybe year and a half by then.

First squonk was one of the Fast Tech Mr. Terminator Owl mod kits. Goodness what a bit of junk it had been. It was still enough to get me to get a few Reo Grand clones, Goon attys (which are somewhere all yucky), couple Velocity2 clones.

From there it was Coppertech mods, NaRDA clones, into all kinds of different squonkers. Got a hand crafted one sent as a gift. It is put up in storage. Not one I use often as I want to preserve it. Still using a brass Coppervape, couple of SQs. Got a few Athena kits.

"My name is, *looks down at name badge* Buck, I'm a squonk-a-holic."

A "country" person and raised up "right". That implies I do not care for the buy year after year Wal-Mart 19" push mowers. If I get a push mover it ought to last a decade, or more. So, I buy durable, affordable stuff. May not be as frugal as @The Cromwell but close. Vaping is the same, I get what I figure will last a while. Got tired of making regulated devices into "bricks", simply from use.

I still have a few regulated devices but they're used sparingly. May buy some more attys. Maybe buy a few more mods too. Not looking for too much, some baubles I've come to prefer here and there. Want stuff what'll last until I'm at "checkout". Don't want to smoke again. Getting done with my snuff craze after this last tin. Reminding myself why I quit that.

Last edited:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I absolutely have a "collection". Pretty sizeable one.
It's a hobby. I like fiddling with them (to a certain extent), and I like the variety of grabbing different ones each day - some wood, some delrin, different shapes, different RDA's. 99% are mech or mosfet squonkers.

I don't have a boat. Or guns. Or play golf. I only really have one other hobby, and that one makes money. So it's OK. :shades:

One of these days, I'll maybe try to get them all in a photo - but it's difficult, there's that many, lol.
Me too. All my other "hobbies" I have had to give up. Drinking, smoking, chewing and gambling. Through no one's fault but my own. I unfortunately do not have a moderation gene or bone in my body. Of all the things I could have kept to obsess over and do compulsively with zero moderation, I and more importantly my family will gladly except vaping 😁👍

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Me too. All my other "hobbies" I have had to give up. Drinking, smoking, chewing and gambling. Through no one's fault but my own. I unfortunately do not have a moderation gene or bone in my body. Of all the things I could have kept to obsess over and do compulsively with zero moderation, I and more importantly my family will gladly except vaping 😁👍

I also do not know when to quit on things that I really like. Over the years my collections have been books, music and movies, some antique furniture, stained glass lamps, jewelry, sterling coins and flatware, and the last, of course, was vape gear and DIY supplies. Unlike some of you, though, I didn't spend a lot of money on every piece of gear I bought.

I really have lost any idea of how many mods and atomizers I have. There are 44 rigs in the living room that I can lay my eyes on right now, about 35 of them ready to vape. There are another 18 rigs ready to go in the bedroom, and four totes full of stuff packed away.

Over the past 18 months or so, I have tried not to buy anything that I wasn't really excited about, and I've spent a bit more on some of the pieces. There for a good while I was just building up "something to vape," in case it got to a point that we couldn't buy anything. I figured at that point, I wouldn't be too picky. Once I got that situation covered, I could stop freaking out. lol

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I also do not know when to quit on things that I really like. Over the years my collections have been books, music and movies, some antique furniture, stained glass lamps, jewelry, sterling coins and flatware, and the last, of course, was vape gear and DIY supplies. Unlike some of you, though, I didn't spend a lot of money on every piece of gear I bought.

I really have lost any idea of how many mods and atomizers I have. There are 44 rigs in the living room that I can lay my eyes on right now, about 35 of them ready to vape. There are another 18 rigs ready to go in the bedroom, and four totes full of stuff packed away.

Over the past 18 months or so, I have tried not to buy anything that I wasn't really excited about, and I've spent a bit more on some of the pieces. There for a good while I was just building up "something to vape," in case it got to a point that we couldn't buy anything. I figured at that point, I wouldn't be too picky. Once I got that situation covered, I could stop freaking out. lol
I definitely have bought some expensive gear, some well worth it imho, some not even close to worth it, lol. But for me at least, that doesn't mean I only buy and use high end stuff. Some of my most used set ups didn't run much at all. I also want to use everything I buy. I have only bought one set up that is too expensive to use for me, and I won't ever do that again. Although I love it, and use it sparingly at home, I just don't like the feeling that I can't take something out and feel good about it. I guess that's why I have been into coating so much lately. Doesn't cost that much, get a set up I love to look exactly as I want, and can always be redone 😊

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
hopefully gloom arrives this week

i should look into a new hobby

gloom didn't get here for birthday yesterday, which is a bit inconsiderate of it
I love my Gloom.
Got one made of Ultem, too (a "Gloomtem").
And if I could find one, I'd probably get the white version ("Bliss").

Interestingly unique switch - light press on a "plate"...
And the shape and hand-feel is just fantastic.

Hope you like it!!
gloom22b.jpg

(also, no - I am not missing a finger. Weird photo...lol)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love my Gloom.
Got one made of Ultem, too (a "Gloomtem").
And if I could find one, I'd probably get the white version ("Bliss").

Interestingly unique switch - light press on a "plate"...
And the shape and hand-feel is just fantastic.

Hope you like it!!
View attachment 195726
Was initially hoping for waxed Freehand. But settled for gloom

No RAM circuit. I went with what they call mech, but does have wire not just pieces of metal

I had ordered an ironwood Freehand in may. Waited months and went with gloom from 3rd party. Contacted maja to cancel Freehand and she replied that my order got spam filtered

The design is OK. Would prefer constant contact and no length of wire.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was initially hoping for waxed Freehand. But settled for gloom

No RAM circuit. I went with what they call mech, but does have wire not just pieces of metal

I had ordered an ironwood Freehand in may. Waited months and went with gloom from 3rd party. Contacted maja to cancel Freehand and she replied that my order got spam filtered

The design is OK. Would prefer constant contact and no length of wire.
Mine are both "mech" as well. Careful about that if you take it apart (the switch, 510, etc) - it's not a long enough wire to pull away from the mod much, and folks have broken it off (if I recall, it's soldered on).

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got some new tips for my Citadel. Absolute game changer for me. No more trying to DL with those tiny little tips that fit the nub. Really cleaver how they did it, imo
View attachment 195729View attachment 195730
That's my issue with a LOT of the newer RDA's - they all come with that little lip.
Where'd the tip come from? Is that Signature Tips?
I had one or two of those...

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's my issue with a LOT of the newer RDA's - they all come with that little lip.
Where'd the tip come from? Is that Signature Tips?
I had one or two of those...
I totally agree. I like or love the vape of a lot of them, but I just can't DL with those tiny drip tips. Maybe it's because I mtl so much with smaller tips, idk, just can't do it. Was hoping these would fit the Venna as well, but a no go 😕 Yup Signature Tips. Only had 2 colors left in stock (booo), I got both, lol

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
As much difference as a drip tip can make in the quality of your vape experience, it's worthwhile to go through some trial and error to get what you really like. It seems like much of my experimenting has to do with getting the airflow more restricted, up to a point, but then beyond that point "too restricted" just plain pisses me off.

After putting up with an irritated (as in, almost burned) spot on my bottom lip for several weeks now, I finally got disgusted enough to pull the factory drip tip off my Taifun GX clone and replace it with a Half Moon Mods wide-ish-bore 510. Instantly life got better. 🤣

And (silly me didn't even expect to LIKE it) a brass drip tip I ordered from the Billi Billi Store makes a world of difference in this OhmAIO that has the DotMission bridge in it. A few bits and bobs have turned this bit of kit into a favorite, after it spent the better part of a year on the shelf.

I guess I haven't mentioned a squonker in this post, but it's relevant to the conversation about drip tips, anyway. A lot of my squonkers are really small, and have single-coil RDAs on them that carry run-of-the-mill tapered honeycomb 510 drip tips. It's a combo that works for me. Would probably drive dub insane trying to DL on any one of them.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As much difference as a drip tip can make in the quality of your vape experience, it's worthwhile to go through some trial and error to get what you really like. It seems like much of my experimenting has to do with getting the airflow more restricted, up to a point, but then beyond that point "too restricted" just plain pisses me off.

After putting up with an irritated (as in, almost burned) spot on my bottom lip for several weeks now, I finally got disgusted enough to pull the factory drip tip off my Taifun GX clone and replace it with a Half Moon Mods wide-ish-bore 510. Instantly life got better. 🤣

And (silly me didn't even expect to LIKE it) a brass drip tip I ordered from the Billi Billi Store makes a world of difference in this OhmAIO that has the DotMission bridge in it. A few bits and bobs have turned this bit of kit into a favorite, after it spent the better part of a year on the shelf.

I guess I haven't mentioned a squonker in this post, but it's relevant to the conversation about drip tips, anyway. A lot of my squonkers are really small, and have single-coil RDAs on them that carry run-of-the-mill tapered honeycomb 510 drip tips. It's a combo that works for me. Would probably drive dub insane trying to DL on any one of them.
Naw, I don't think so anyway. With the citadel the difference is very substantial. I'll get some pics of each, maybe help to show the difference.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i just use stumpy "chuff"

predated 810, kinda 1/2 way between 510 and 810 diameter

i'm boring

... still no gloom in my life :( it is coming from UK via royal mail, with no tracking outside the UK

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I totally agree. I like or love the vape of a lot of them, but I just can't DL with those tiny drip tips. Maybe it's because I mtl so much with smaller tips, idk, just can't do it. Was hoping these would fit the Venna as well, but a no go 😕 Yup Signature Tips. Only had 2 colors left in stock (booo), I got both, lol
i just use stumpy "chuff"

predated 810, kinda 1/2 way between 510 and 810 diameter

i'm boring

... still no gloom in my life :( it is coming from UK via royal mail, with no tracking outside the UK
Actually - just coincidentally - those Signature tips FIT the Stumpy!
That's where I have one...
:)

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I forgot about those signature tips, I used them for my hadaly and hadeon. Funny, I seem to have gone to smaller drip tips I am also vaping simple round wire lately and a little higher ohms.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Those Signature Tips were indeed a game changer - I remember we went nuts for `em

FT has some generic black ones at one time that were a great cheap alternative if the Sig Tips were too pricey. No idea if they still exist on FT

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I forgot about those signature tips, I used them for my hadaly and hadeon. Funny, I seem to have gone to smaller drip tips I am also vaping simple round wire lately and a little higher ohms.
I love a small drip tip, round build, and higher ohms as well. It just has to be mtl for me then. What doesn't work for me is many of these have too much af for mtl. I have no problem with rdl, but gotta have a fatty tip. I fully realize how weird and picky I am, BTW :giggle:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I love a small drip tip, round build, and higher ohms as well. It just has to be mtl for me then. What doesn't work for me is many of these have too much af for mtl. I have no problem with rdl, but gotta have a fatty tip. I fully realize how weird and picky I am, BTW :giggle:

I'm with you on that - got addicted to fat DTs with narrower MTL hole down the middle

Pretty much all I'll use anymore

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're killing me!!! I've been after a stumpy for ever. Clone or not, impossible to come by, at least for me :cry:
If I recall, there was a cheap chinese RDA called the Stumpy - but it wasn't a clone, just a completely different RDA!
Here's two Stumpies - one with the Chuff @DogMan mentioned, and one with an ultem Signature tip on it! I think the bore is probably about the same... I lost a chuff tip, thus the Sig tip...

stumpies22.jpg

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An almost complete experiment - The Oumier Wasp is a cheap but pretty good RDL or DL atty.
But the caps are 1-peice.
So I ground down the top of one until the "flare" was the right diameter to let me pop in a big fat 810 tip!!
I just need to grind down the BOTTOM of the tip a little, as it extends into the cap a little - too close to the coil... Then it'll be perfect. It was actually a lot of work though, so probably going to remain a 1-of-1 for me, lol.
customcap_done1.jpg

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An almost complete experiment - The Oumier Wasp is a cheap but pretty good RDL or DL atty.
But the caps are 1-peice.
So I ground down the top of one until the "flare" was the right diameter to let me pop in a big fat 810 tip!!
I just need to grind down the BOTTOM of the tip a little, as it extends into the cap a little - too close to the coil... Then it'll be perfect. It was actually a lot of work though, so probably going to remain a 1-of-1 for me, lol.
View attachment 195764
Love that! I was thinking of kinda doing the same with the Duet to take a signature tip. Lots of room there, so seems it would work
1660191472056852405075337056435.jpg16601915030628640288985391274317.jpg

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I like fat low profile drip tips and they are hard to find. When I do find fat drip tips they are usually too tall for me.
I have jerry rigged a setup that I can put a drip tip in and use my drill as a makeshift lathe.
I use it to cut down the tall ones I find.
My favorite drip tips are the ones that come on the Nightmare RDA.
d112cff599fe83b1127a652e4e9a9e6b.jpg

50b955ce5fe2ae045f70c9847e51e5ae.jpg

aabac5f93d6adf3753430bcf86752493.jpg

bf0bba170817dbf1357a48930575b268.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, trying to convert the Duet to use the citadel dt was a complete failure :facepalm:
Nothing else

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My favorite drip tips are the ones that come on the Nightmare RDA.
Just an easy suggestion, why not get in touch with Nicky Hill (@nix_tips on IG)? His personal website doesn't show pics of all the most interesting design work IMO, you have to check out his posts on IG to find those.

He handcrafts bespoke custom order drip tips some of which look like they are fine pieces of jewelry art to me with stellar designs, and, you can specify all the wild details, also including the exact shape and height, the outer diameter measured at the top, the outer diamter measured at the bottom, the inner diameter (bore width), the steepness (and curved pattern if you prefer it curved) of the "funnel" between the top edge and the actual bore, the rounded-ness of both the exterior and the interior side of the top edge, etc. etc.. I have never seen anything that comes close to what he can do. Aesthetics overdose IMO!

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
2.5mm coil in the reqium? I have been playing with mine a bit, doesn't seem a 3mm will work in there no matter which top cap?
Yeah 2.5 fits great - I don't know if even a round wire 3.0 would fit due to the airflow built into the cap.

I'm using a 2.5 n80 22 ga about .21Ω

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah 2.5 fits great - I don't know if even a round wire 3.0 would fit due to the airflow built into the cap.

I'm using a 2.5 n80 22 ga about .21Ω

I put 2.4mm round wire parallel in the one I just got last week. That's in the OG Requiem, and it's a firecracker even with that little coil. The updated model might take a 3mm, since the top cap was redesigned?

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put 2.4mm round wire parallel in the one I just got last week. That's in the OG Requiem, and it's a firecracker even with that little coil. The updated model might take a 3mm, since the top cap was redesigned?
I have the OG as well - I forgot there's a new one!

VU Sponsors