Become a Patron!

STOP THROWING AWAY YOUR BURNT/OLD COILS!!!!!

Blakeblood9

Member For 4 Years
Good afternoon, I've been vaping for around a year to a year and a half. And ill tell you what. I've been through 15 coils. I would say once a month i would have to purchase a $5-$10 coil from the shop. In otherwords i paid $75-150 a year for coils. If you do this, you stopped at the right place. I will now explain how i dont replace my coils for up to 6 months of using them.

Firstly take care of your coils, Always vape at recommended wattage. and always have a full to 3/4 of a tank. Never try to hotbox the shit out of something. (Hitting in 20 times in a minute isnt really good for the coil it gets kinda dry and burnt)

i can go all day on how to take care of coils. Trust me i learned a lot.

Now you happen to f*** up your coil before seeing this thread... now what? go buy a $10 coil. NOPE!

I'll explain how to fix the burnt taste from your ecig/coil and how to fix that!

Firstly take out the coil, now grab a small container and put just enough water for your coil to go into. Now heat the water in microwave (you can also use a pan). carefully take the container of hot water and simply drop your sub omh coil into the water and dump water and put cold water in it to cool down the coil. pick up the coil and spray it out a lot of burnt shit and ejuice should fall out. Now if that doesnt happen kept repeating til it does

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long does that generally last, I know that after a while the water will rust out the coils

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Soak them in everclear or vodka, then air dry. You'd be amazed at what stays behind in the cup you soak them in. When I still used prebuilt coils, this really extended their life span.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large_zpsdfsh13zl.gif

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't remember vids of people slinging cartomizers around on a string to dry them out?

Actually when I used to use prebuilt coils I soaked them in 91% Isopropyl alcohol Used a syringe to squirt the alcohol thru the openings and then put them on a paper towell to dry for at least 24 hours.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You don't remember vids of people slinging cartomizers around on a string to dry them out?

Actually when I used to use prebuilt coils I soaked them in 91% Isopropyl alcohol Used a syringe to squirt the alcohol thru the openings and then put them on a paper towell to dry for at least 24 hours.
Isopropyl alcohol is poison you used that to clean coils?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isopropyl alcohol is poison you used that to clean coils?
Yep also clean attys and such with it when I first get them.
Yep poison why I say to let dry for at least 24 hours and to use 91% so it all evaporates better.

Will dry faster though if attached to end of ceiling fan blade.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon, I've been vaping for around a year to a year and a half. And ill tell you what. I've been through 15 coils. I would say once a month i would have to purchase a $5-$10 coil from the shop. In otherwords i paid $75-150 a year for coils. If you do this, you stopped at the right place. I will now explain how i dont replace my coils for up to 6 months of using them.

Firstly take care of your coils, Always vape at recommended wattage. and always have a full to 3/4 of a tank. Never try to hotbox the shit out of something. (Hitting in 20 times in a minute isnt really good for the coil it gets kinda dry and burnt)

i can go all day on how to take care of coils. Trust me i learned a lot.

Now you happen to f*** up your coil before seeing this thread... now what? go buy a $10 coil. NOPE!

I'll explain how to fix the burnt taste from your ecig/coil and how to fix that!

Firstly take out the coil, now grab a small container and put just enough water for your coil to go into. Now heat the water in microwave (you can also use a pan). carefully take the container of hot water and simply drop your sub omh coil into the water and dump water and put cold water in it to cool down the coil. pick up the coil and spray it out a lot of burnt shit and ejuice should fall out. Now if that doesnt happen kept repeating til it does

This is not the first time someone has tried this the problem is more than dirty cotton the coils gunk up and this will not fix that nor with grain alcohol or the Splooge of the Angel Gabriel ..

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dang near everything is a poison. The rate of evaporation for alcohols in general are quite fast. Have you gotten some on your hand and noticed how cold it got quickly.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is not the first time someone has tried this the problem is more than dirty cotton the coils gunk up and this will not fix that nor with grain alcohol or the Splooge of the Angel Gabriel ..
Yep I found a max of 2 times cleaning was it.
After that the coil was just crap.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dang near everything is a poison. The rate of evaporation for alcohols in general are quite fast. Have you gotten some on your hand and noticed how cold it got quickly.
Alcohol is not Alcohol its not just all the same..
Grain alcohol does not equal Isopropyl Alcohol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True 91% Iso Alc actually evaporates faster.
Why physicians use it so much.
Sterilizing instruments, swab before the needle, etc.

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Of coarse not. Never said that they are the same.
Propanol butanol methanol ethanol ect ect...... Are all different, all poison, and all have low boiling points and fast rates of evaporation. Isopropyl alcohol can be used just fine. It's used to clean open wounds. Did you know the cure for methanol poisoning is ethanol? Just saying isopropyl alcohol is safe as long as you don't put flavors and nic in it then try to vape it.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
99% Iso can be found in most areas. it will evap quicker than 91% because it contains less water. Iso should be fine for this use so long you know for sure its completely dry before re-using. if you get a weird taste from it then i would stop using it. not saying its going to kill you, but def not a habit you want to continue on with.

everclear is a good option also, but wont clean as fast as Iso. Iso is much more aggressive. again youd want to make sure that the coil is completely dry before use. trace amounts of grain alcohol will be much safer than trace amounts of Iso i would think. im no chemist though. one downside to everclear is that it isnt available everywhere.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
99% Iso can be found in most areas. it will evap quicker than 91% because it contains less water. Iso should be fine for this use so long you know for sure its completely dry before re-using. if you get a weird taste from it then i would stop using it. not saying its going to kill you, but def not a habit you want to continue on with.

everclear is a good option also, but wont clean as fast as Iso. Iso is much more aggressive. again youd want to make sure that the coil is completely dry before use. trace amounts of grain alcohol will be much safer than trace amounts of Iso i would think. im no chemist though. one downside to everclear is that it isnt available everywhere.
ISO can leave a Peroxide residue if you look at the MDS data sheets I agree that is surely will probably not cause harm but most people do not do things right to begin with ;)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Always vape at recommended wattage.

Back when I still used prebuilts, I often found the "recommended" wattage to be way too high for my tastes. Sometimes too low.

Half the time when new vapers complain about burnt taste, etc. they are using the "recommended" wattage and it is simply too high

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back when I still used prebuilts, I often found the "recommended" wattage to be way too high for my tastes. Sometimes too low.

Half the time when new vapers complain about burnt taste, etc. they are using the "recommended" wattage and it is simply too high
"I like the way you talk"

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use white vinegar. Soak for a few hours then rinse with hot water. While I mostly build for my all day set up, I still keep a nautilus filled with tobacco flavor at higher mg nic for stealth vaping.

@MrScaryZ is correct. Soaking will clean the cotton but not the gunked coil. For that, I use a floss brush like a pipe cleaner to stick down the hole for the vertical nautilus coils while I'm rinsing. The brush cleans the hell out the center of the coil. The prebuilt coils last a long long time.

A-set-font-b-Interdental-b-font-font-b-Brush-b-font-Toothbrush-font-b-Floss.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That looks very cool but kinda reminds me of the last time they stuck a device down my sphincter which is probably the most crazy thing a man can go through the the same principal applies :)

:giggle::tmi::giggle:

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Buy a RTA/RDA if you want to not spend $$ on coils

trying to revive a $2 coil is a waste of time and effort, you might get an extra day before it tastes like you're vaping cardboard

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

trying to revive a $2 coil is a waste of time and effort, you might get an extra day before it tastes like you're vaping cardboard
Agreed!
Like with rda/rta, the Cotton goes bad first. Unless you can take these coils apart and rewick, just toss them.

I'm not going to recommend to anyone to use anything other than water to clean their cotton. No way there's nothing of the cleaning agent left behind in the Cotton.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im not saying put the coil in there for 2 days. i saying 2-3 minutes and immediately dry it
Cleaning factory coils is an exercise in futility, cotton breaks down and degrades. I tried this when I first started Vaping, watched tons of YouTube's on cleaning factory coils, tried countless different methods all ended up with shitty coils.

Just do yourself a favor, buy a decent dedicated RTA and learn how to build. Better flavor and options with building your own. Wrapping wire around a jig or screwdriver isn't rocket science, it's pretty damn easy.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Agreed!
Like with rda/rta, the Cotton goes bad first. Unless you can take these coils apart and rewick, just toss them.

I'm not going to recommend to anyone to use anything other than water to clean their cotton. No way there's nothing of the cleaning agent left behind in the Cotton.

Cleaning factory coils is an exercise in futility, cotton breaks down and degrades. I tried this when I first started Vaping, watched tons of YouTube's on cleaning factory coils, tried countless different methods all ended up with shitty coils.

Just do yourself a favor, buy a decent dedicated RTA and learn how to build. Better flavor and options with building your own. Wrapping wire around a jig or screwdriver isn't rocket science, it's pretty damn easy.

LOL. Your failures and misconceptions don't mean it can't be done. It just means you can't do it.

I've been cleaning and reusing prebuilt coils for almost 3 years. Building is a better option, but not everybody wants to. Nothing wrong with using prebuilt if that's what people want.

Making DIY juice is stupid easy and cheaper than vendor juice too but lots of people don't want to do it. Posts like the above are like the posts from the DIY's in the juice forum telling everyone to just make their own.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL. Your failures and misconceptions don't mean it can't be done. It just means you can't do it.

I've been cleaning and reusing prebuilt coils for almost 3 years. Building is a better option, but not everybody wants to. Nothing wrong with using prebuilt if that's what people want.
If you don't mind vaping on cotton that has broke down and degraded, more power to you ;)

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anyone can try anything they want. We all hate the cost of pre-builts. Inherently the Cotton burns first and burns fast. It's the cheapest part of a pre-built and it's the weakest link.

When I help noobs out I recommend a wash in warm/hot water if they are looking to make the coils last. But I would hesitate to recommend any other liquids as cotton is designed to absorb any liquid we put in there. So to believe with evaporation or time the cleaning agent is 100% gone is risky in my opinion. The idea of atomizing any cleaning agent and inhaling it is not something I would consider.
I guess you could fire it a few times to burn off any cleaning agent, but that might burn the cotton.

Again, anyone can try anything they want. I just want people to think things through before they try.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone can try anything they want. We all hate the cost of pre-builts. Inherently the Cotton burns first and burns fast. It's the cheapest part of a pre-built and it's weakest link.

When I help noobs out I recommend a wash in warm/hot water if they are looking to make the coils last. But I would hesitate to recommend any other liquids as cotton is designed to absorb any liquid we put in there. So to believe with evaporation or time the cleaning agent is 100% gone is risky in my opinion. The idea of atomizing any cleaning agent and inhaling it is not something I would consider.
I guess you could fire it and few times to burn off any cleaning agent, but that might burn the Cotton.

Again, anyone can try anything they want. I just want people to think things through before they try.

WE DEMAND A SCIENTIFIC PAPER ON THAT!

:cuss2:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone can try anything they want. We all hate the cost of pre-builts. Inherently the Cotton burns first and burns fast. It's the cheapest part of a pre-built and it's weakest link.

I guess you could fire it and few times to burn off any cleaning agent, but that might burn the Cotton.

I don't think white vinegar or grain alcohol is going to hurt anything. In fact, some flavorings contain alcohol.

VU Sponsors