Become a Patron!

{STRICTLY LOW WATTAGE / STEALTH DEDICATED THREAD}

cloudniners

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With mod's like the Minivolt, Alphafox Minibolt, Target Mini and so on...
There's a evidently a serious demand for stealthy mini mods

Most people wouldnt run these miniature mods at their maximum due to battery life constraints
And i personally use them around 15-25 watts...

I'm rocking a Subtank Mini with a 26 gauge kanthal, wrapped 5 times on a 2.5mm bit and it's been quite okay on my Minivolt so far..... but flavor leaves much to be desired

I've been looking to top out my Minivolt with a true RTA and not just a subohm tank with an RBA section...
I've looked at the Doggystyle tanks, Kayfun V5 clones and also the Serpent Mini and Alto and i cant really decide on which would give me the tighthest DL i could have (borderline MTL) with serious amounts of heat

This thread was made to discuss;
- Battery life
- Maximizing flavor (heat, density and etc)
- What nic levels are you using? (With lower amounts of vapour produced using low wattage and low mass coils.. predictably a higher MG would be needed to get the same buzz as you would lower MG on a crazier build)

(What affects flavor and heat?)

To begin with, i've been wondering what RTA's or RDA's are on your mini mods,

I find that for flavour it's always about the ratio of air to the volume of vapour that gets you a lighter or denser mouthfeel and flavor,

We are really limited on power so i personally find that it's better to go about it the other way around and tighten our airflow to get less air and more vapor (denser ratio) for better flavor even if it changes the inhale sensation

And i've also found that a smaller build works better in a smaller chamber because there's simply less empty space (more vapour in the chamber) which helps for maintaining heat (due to less dormant air) and helps concentrate the airspeed and velocity of the vapour,

Although these factors are controlling the heat.. the main factor would be the amount of metal and wattage that provides the maximum heat that we can play with to begin with (heat flux on Steam Engine),

Chamber sizes and airflow only play a part in heat loss... (basic thermodynamics)

[TL;DR] - By turning down the airflow we could get a denser vape without resorting to bumping up wattage at but with a different inhale sensation and could drive the heat up... and with using RTA's and RDA's with smaller chamber sizes... flavor and heat is exponentially increased....

I've managed to get a heat flux of 320 milliwatts per millimeter squared and thats all of the heat i can play with at 25 watts.. (with the above mentioned build) and i hope to find something with less airflow and a smaller chamber to get me the most out of that heat...

I'm curious as to what RTA would give me the best performance for low wattage vaping...
I prefer something with a seriously small chamber and tight DL airflow..

(Battery Life)

With regulated devices (that feature step-down or step-up),
The resistance of the coil is irrelevant to the battery life as proven in this link
http://blog.thevaporist.org/2016/01/13/coilresistance/

It all has to do with wattage and nothing else but wattage (less wattage = more life)
So i would like to put it out there that it's safe to say... 25 watts on a 0.7 is no different to 25 watts on a 1.5

(Nic levels)

I used to vape 9mg on a 50 watt velocity build and it got me my nicotine fix in several puffs

And when i switched to stealth vaping i realized that i was chain vaping like crazy on the same juice to get my desired hit

I now vape 18mg and 12mg depending on how much i want to vape before feeling the nic hit...

Is it only me? or did anyone else use more nic when switching to stealthing?

My educated guess is that you're inhaling less vapor at a time with smaller and lower wattage builds thus the same liquid would take more puffs to get to you...

Thanks for reading this whole thread..
I noticed the lack of any threads discussing stealth vaping builds in this much detail...
Which encouraged me to create a much needed thread to fill in this empty area..

Keep calm and vape on!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
With mod's like the Minivolt, Alphafox Minibolt, Target Mini and so on...
There's a evidently a serious demand for stealthy mini mods

Most people wouldnt run these miniature mods at their maximum due to battery life constraints
And i personally use them around 15-25 watts...

I'm rocking a Subtank Mini with a 26 gauge kanthal, wrapped 5 times on a 2.5mm bit and it's been quite okay on my Minivolt so far..... but flavor leaves much to be desired

I've been looking to top out my Minivolt with a true RTA and not just a subohm tank with an RBA section...
I've looked at the Doggystyle tanks, Kayfun V5 clones and also the Serpent Mini and Alto and i cant really decide on which would give me the tighthest DL i could have (borderline MTL) with serious amounts of heat

This thread was made to discuss;
- Battery life
- Maximizing flavor (heat, density and etc)
- What nic levels are you using? (With lower amounts of vapour produced using low wattage and low mass coils.. predictably a higher MG would be needed to get the same buzz as you would lower MG on a crazier build)

(What affects flavor and heat?)

To begin with, i've been wondering what RTA's or RDA's are on your mini mods,

I find that for flavour it's always about the ratio of air to the volume of vapour that gets you a lighter or denser mouthfeel and flavor,

We are really limited on power so i personally find that it's better to go about it the other way around and tighten our airflow to get less air and more vapor (denser ratio) for better flavor even if it changes the inhale sensation

And i've also found that a smaller build works better in a smaller chamber because there's simply less empty space (more vapour in the chamber) which helps for maintaining heat (due to less dormant air) and helps concentrate the airspeed and velocity of the vapour,

Although these factors are controlling the heat.. the main factor would be the amount of metal and wattage that provides the maximum heat that we can play with to begin with (heat flux on Steam Engine),

Chamber sizes and airflow only play a part in heat loss... (basic thermodynamics)

[TL;DR] - By turning down the airflow we could get a denser vape without resorting to bumping up wattage at but with a different inhale sensation and could drive the heat up... and with using RTA's and RDA's with smaller chamber sizes... flavor and heat is exponentially increased....

I've managed to get a heat flux of 320 milliwatts per millimeter squared and thats all of the heat i can play with at 25 watts.. (with the above mentioned build) and i hope to find something with less airflow and a smaller chamber to get me the most out of that heat...

I'm curious as to what RTA would give me the best performance for low wattage vaping...
I prefer something with a seriously small chamber and tight DL airflow..

(Battery Life)

With regulated devices (that feature step-down or step-up),
The resistance of the coil is irrelevant to the battery life as proven in this link
http://blog.thevaporist.org/2016/01/13/coilresistance/

It all has to do with wattage and nothing else but wattage (less wattage = more life)
So i would like to put it out there that it's safe to say... 25 watts on a 0.7 is no different to 25 watts on a 1.5

(Nic levels)

I used to vape 9mg on a 50 watt velocity build and it got me my nicotine fix in several puffs

And when i switched to stealth vaping i realized that i was chain vaping like crazy on the same juice to get my desired hit

I now vape 18mg and 12mg depending on how much i want to vape before feeling the nic hit...

Is it only me? or did anyone else use more nic when switching to stealthing?

My educated guess is that you're inhaling less vapor at a time with smaller and lower wattage builds thus the same liquid would take more puffs to get to you...

Thanks for reading this whole thread..
I noticed the lack of any threads discussing stealth vaping builds in this much detail...
Which encouraged me to create a much needed thread to fill in this empty area..

Keep calm and vape on!

I like nicotine salts, a 20mL salt liquid on a tiny MTL atomizer is as stealthy as it gets -

SXK Billet Box is super stealthy, and can give very tight air for either MTL or DL

My favorite tank is Serpent Mini 22, it can be used MTL with air ring closed, or as tight and hot of a DL as you like

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put a wasp nano rdta on a target mini. Had to dumb down the build to a 2.5mm 6wrap 28*2/40 fused Clapton Kanthal coil I had made a month ago. Still vapes around 32W with the airflow 1/3 open. If I wasn't out of wire I'd make a single core Clapton for it. Still works good for sticking in my pocket when I go for walks at night. I don't change my nicotine strength tho, everything is at 6mg.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These days, my go-to setup for true stealth that can also churn out respectable clouds at low power is this: a Eleaf Basal mod with a Demon Killer Tiny RDA on top:

27758638018_c995a9402b_b.jpg

This RDA works great from 5W to 20W. At 5W, I close the airholes almost completely and use it as a MTL device - kind of like a Smok Dripper RDA. 3 drops of 12 to 18mg nic juice last forever and taste nice and spicy. MTL at 5W produce almost no vapor to be seen.

At 20W, I open the airholes all the way and use lower-nic juice the usual, direct lung hit way. In that mode, it's a very convincing "almost as good as the big boys" little cloudmaker.

On top of that, it doesn't look half bad atop the Eleaf Basal, and the battery lasts forever.

Gavlan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
^^^ that's a nice little piece of gear you have going on there, I need something like that when I'm at the Hospital getting my Chemo,,,,, LOL.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
These days, my go-to setup for true stealth that can also churn out respectable clouds at low power

How can you consider chucking clouds Stealthy? I use the Pico for a Stealthy MOD but the clouds can draw attention.

upload_2018-4-26_16-48-17.jpeg

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How can you consider chucking clouds Stealthy?

Pay attention to what I wrote: "my go-to setup for true stealth that can also churn out respectable clouds at low power"

You know, as in "It can do two things: be stealthy, but also vape normally with decent performances"...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did see what you wrote but I don't see a stealthy topper.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clouds ain't stealthy.

Mind you, my taifun gt III clone is hardly miniscule, but boy.. 17w for days and tanks, baby ;-)

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These days, my go-to setup for true stealth that can also churn out respectable clouds at low power is this: a Eleaf Basal mod with a Demon Killer Tiny RDA on top:

27758638018_c995a9402b_b.jpg

This RDA works great from 5W to 20W. At 5W, I close the airholes almost completely and use it as a MTL device - kind of like a Smok Dripper RDA. 3 drops of 12 to 18mg nic juice last forever and taste nice and spicy. MTL at 5W produce almost no vapor to be seen.

At 20W, I open the airholes all the way and use lower-nic juice the usual, direct lung hit way. In that mode, it's a very convincing "almost as good as the big boys" little cloudmaker.

On top of that, it doesn't look half bad atop the Eleaf Basal, and the battery lasts forever.
That's a nice little setup. Are you using round wire?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
56186F4B-0B4C-42F4-A7F1-7911CFCCB4E0.jpeg In my opinion nothing beats the kayfun series for stealth...
my favorite for those stealthy times is the kflite on my vaporshark dna30 at 15w of soul crushing power
Then there’s the k4 on the dna40 at 24w
Or the kf5 at 55w on the dna250- but that’s a bit cloudy for stealth.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As a general rule, I don't worry much about stealth vaping; I have done it on many occasions, in restrooms or deserted store aisles or car dealerships, but I don't really make a habit of it. However I've been a low wattage vaper since I started and see no reason to change; I use an RDA that I think is the very best tight-draw vape EVER, the original Achilles -- with my old Kayfuns, I had the airflow open maybe 1/3 or halfway, and I generally vaped at about 10 or 11 watts, but with the Achilles, I dropped to 9.5, and learned to enjoy mods that let me increment the wattage in tenths of a watt; I find that 9.6w is just perfect for my 1.7 - 2 ohm coils. No, there's not a fuckton of vapor, because I see no need for that; what I exhale is quite similar to what I exhaled as a smoker, so the simulation is very satisfying. I had to reduce my nic level when I got the Achilles, from 10mg to 9mg, immediately, because the TH is so good. Since then I reduced all the way to 3mg, while also getting off of WTA, for the first year or so; I'm currently going back up, slowly, to 5mg, to try and get rid of the "tip of the tongue" phenomenon.

My low wattage is probably why I seem to use more flavoring than anyone else round here, still at 24% flavoring after being smoke-free for 4 yrs. But for a great strawberry flavor at low wattage, check out my strawberry & cream recipe; it's in my blog post (linked at the bottom of my sig).

Andria

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Coming from someone who in the past year was around 100 watts on dual coils, the past month I’ve been vaping at 20-25 watts on a single coil, something I thought I’d never enjoy again like I did years ago. I owe it to the CV skyline RTA and GT III rta, vape heaven IMO.

I prefer a restricted DL, with these tanks the vapor is warm, super flavorful and gives a good throat hit, so much so I have actually went down in nic %.
I prefer the flavor of the skyline by a hair, it is a bit trickier to wick than the GTIII but once you get it down it is awesomeness. There are also air inserts for the MTL folks. Definitely my favorite tanks of all time.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This seems like a good thread but just so you know even with the air reducer the kayfun v5 isn't s true MTL.
the best ones for a nice MTL are kayfun mini v3 or kayfun life but the lite is hard to find now. The kayfun prime is good too.
As for the doggytyle though they are a really good vape if you can get past the bottom fill. The serpent mini is restricted DL. also the subtank mini is awesome. I still use mine daily.
Welcome to the MTL world :) i was same as you, i did sub ohm for a bit but wa craving cigarettes but since using lower wattage an high nic i'm much more satisfied. It's good some cheaper ones are
coming out too cos at one point it was mostly high end.
If your on a budget i'd recommend berserker mini or doggystyle. If you can manage it get a kayfun mini v3. They've been out a while now so are cheaper. I just picked one up for £60.00 & when they came out they were closer to 100.
Definitely worth the money!!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was gonna ask about that haha cos i use a siren 2 with mine and it's a taller tank.
My berserker mini lives on a Pico & my full side berserker lives on the aspire nx100.
Some people say the mini has better flavour but i honestly don't find much of a difference!!

IMG_20180817_012046.jpg

I'm new to vape mods. This is my EDC for work. I work outdoors so puffing isn't an issue. Carrying is. It needs to be pocket sized. This Aspire Rover X/ Nautilis X gets it done while I learn the ropes.

Thanks for this thread.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Aspire Gusto Mini - Designed to use 4.2ml pre filled pods of 6mg/ml or 12mg/ml freebase nic eliquid.

I remove the eliquid with a blunt tip syringe and refill the pods with Mr Salt Strawberry 25 mg/ml nic salt.

It hits smooth as butter and I doesn't look like a forest fire when i'm taking a vape in public.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This thing is the size of an 18650 battery.....
159823ad312679f5703d68afe28b40b2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's irrelevant... It's the opposite of stealthy when your mod creates its own weather system! And um... my 18650s are a lot smaller than that.

Andria

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's irrelevant... It's the opposite of stealthy when your mod creates its own weather system! And um... my 18650s are a lot smaller than that.

Andria
Well this one has (2) 28650 and it's 75 watts but look at the drip tip is like smaller than a dime.....well to me it must be small....
924c4040bb5fd42f5da7f96a45aab033.jpg
c017ea12656bc0be9f65d0b96b437092.jpg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well this one has (2) 28650 and it's 75 watts but look at the drip tip is like smaller than a dime.....well to me it must be small....
924c4040bb5fd42f5da7f96a45aab033.jpg
c017ea12656bc0be9f65d0b96b437092.jpg

It's definitely SHORT... but not small. Small means, an inner aperture of maybe 4-5mm, or less. You can't actually do anything with those big fat ones except huff, there's no suction at all. When you huff your vape, you're gonna exhale massive quantities of vapor, and that's not stealthy at all. I can tell from 250ft if someone is smoking or vaping, just because most vapers nowadays emit obscene amounts of fog, rather than the small thin clouds of smoke from a smoker -- that's what my own vapor resembles.

Andria

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's definitely SHORT... but not small. Small means, an inner aperture of maybe 4-5mm, or less. You can't actually do anything with those big fat ones except huff, there's no suction at all. When you huff your vape, you're gonna exhale massive quantities of vapor, and that's not stealthy at all. I can tell from 250ft if someone is smoking or vaping, just because most vapers nowadays emit obscene amounts of fog, rather than the small thin clouds of smoke from a smoker -- that's what my own vapor resembles.

Andria
I wasn't thinking stealthy cloud.... I was thinking more stealthy mod.....

Clouds I blow like a cigarette smoker does and anywhere....

I vape and people have never mentioned how Gros.... so why should I worry about stealth clouds....

Most tell me ... man that smells nice...... Or man sweet cloud......or most want to know how to get into vaping.....

They accept me as a cigarette smoker or a vaper...... They will get used to it...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
15-25 watts is Stealth vaping?....who knew.

Yeah, I'm thinking that anyone who started vaping in the last couple yrs doesn't really know what "stealth vaping" is, because they just don't make or sell that kind of hardware anymore, it's all FOG! 200W! all-VG! -- even my own 10w and 87% PG is pretty hard to do with any stealth, unless I exhale down my shirt -- works fine in public restrooms, but would look pretty odd, doing that anyplace else,. :D

Well, I guess you could still buy Protanks/T3S's.... but find good atomizers that give good flavor, without also fogging up the whole house? I think that dinosaur is pretty much extinct at this point. :facepalm:

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I take big ass inhales with my Rafale at 60 watts and 460°F but do not hear anything from my GF when watching a movie. I hold it in until there is very little cloud exhaled. Not impossible and not reason I need to exhale down my shirt. Just because someone is not capable of doing something doesn't mean it can't be done. That is my Vape Trick making clouds disappear.

VU Sponsors