Become a Patron!

Super Easy Cheap Effective Quick Ultra Steeping Method

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Reading through some of this has just made my day. Just recently started diying and just made 5 different flavors and 2 fruit and creams. Shook the hell out of them and tried a sample and initial tastes were pretty good. I'm now about to go speed steep and have this all ready before Xmas. Thank you all and a merry Xmas to everyone here on VU

Attachments

• 677b5854-94d2-4412-9328-2a100c60ed58_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    677b5854-94d2-4412-9328-2a100c60ed58_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 57

Monica_Rae

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know this is probably well not probably this will be a stupid question but I've always just naturally let my juices steep. How exactly does one use the crock pot lol?
I'm guessing we put water in it and then put the ejuice in the water???
Again I know dumb question but hey had to ask

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know this is probably well not probably this will be a stupid question but I've always just naturally let my juices steep. How exactly does one use the crock pot lol?
I'm guessing we put water in it and then put the ejuice in the water???
Again I know dumb question but hey had to ask

Not a dumb question at all!

Put water in the crockpot to the level of the juice in the (glass) bottle. Turn to low or warm (whichever is the lowest setting). Crack the lid. This should keep water temp at 150 degrees (check with a candy thermometer). For tobaccos and custards leave for 4 hours. Don't use this with liquids that have spices (cinnamon, etc), because it tends to ruin them.

Monica_Rae

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah okay I gotcha. I'm so glad you said glass bottle cuz knowing myself I probably would've tried it with plastic lmao..
This whole steeping thing I find is as subjective as juice itself. I read thru whole lectures on how heat steeping (ecf) actually changes the flavor of the juice and shouldn't be done but on the other hand SO many people use either the cockpot or microwave or rice...etc. I personally haven't tried anything I don't even have a measly uc. I shake shake shake then I vape and say hmmm this could use some steeping and in a box it goes. Then every couple days I'll try it again. I do really only make juices that consist of creams and then ry4. I've never done just a fruit mix although I imagine I will.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Many juices don't need any more care than shake and vape. And many people find it makes no difference either way. I do find that sticking in a crockpot has the affect of fast-aging some juices that I make, but many just need to sit on the shelf for a few days:p

Reactions: Edd

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Someone asked about a "warm" setting. Our crock pot has one, also has a temp gauge. I can set the temp to 150, it kicks itself to warm and leaves it at that temp. If anyone is concerned about a higher temp, when I first attempted cp steeping, my "low" temp got to 170, I didn't have the lid cracked open. After 4 hours, freakin' the hell out, I did a nic test with the kit I got from WL. There was no effect on the nic, none at all. Regardless, I'd stay at 150 if possible.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone asked about a "warm" setting. Our crock pot has one, also has a temp gauge. I can set the temp to 150, it kicks itself to warm and leaves it at that temp. If anyone is concerned about a higher temp, when I first attempted cp steeping, my "low" temp got to 170, I didn't have the lid cracked open. After 4 hours, freakin' the hell out, I did a nic test with the kit I got from WL. There was no effect on the nic, none at all. Regardless, I'd stay at 150 if possible.

I agree! I have no idea how we arrived at that 150 degree temp over at ECF when we did the test, but it did seem to do the job. I know I've a) let mine get warmer, and b) accidentally left something in it overnight with no ill effects:p

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree! I have no idea how we arrived at that 150 degree temp over at ECF when we did the test, but it did seem to do the job. I know I've a) let mine get warmer, and b) accidentally left something in it overnight with no ill effects:p
Custard for the win? ;)

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I picked up this crock pot today and with the lid just cracked and the unit set on low it is staying at 150F according to my temp probe so this should work just fine. It looks like I could get about a half dozen 30ml bottles in there.

T

Taver13

are you guys keeping the caps on the bottles for the crock pot method?

T

Taver13

i figure id chime in here and say, that when i use the crock pot, i aggitate by taping the bottles to the blade on a sawz-all, and letting it rip, it mixes them like you wouldnt believe

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i figure id chime in here and say, that when i use the crock pot, i aggitate by taping the bottles to the blade on a sawz-all, and letting it rip, it mixes them like you wouldnt believe
The mother of invention LOL You just made my day and I will have to give that a try!!
74914-Royalty-Free-RF-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Man-Laughing-On-The-Floor.jpg

purevapor1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
what i did is built a $23 magnetic stirrer and put my mix on it for an hour then its ready :D

purevapor1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
get a small project box from radio shack atm RS is going out of business so u might be able to pick 1 up for under $3. get some $7 N48 magnets 1/2 X 1/8 from amazon. i got a speed control pc fan from amazon $11. and 4 bolts, nuts and washers to tie it down with

purevapor1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
use the pictures in this link as a reference guide to building your own magnetic stirrer

T

Taver13

use the pictures in this link as a reference guide to building your own magnetic stirrer

awesome thanks man, i actually went to radioshack the other day and picked up a shitload of crap at 95% off, i actually have most of this stuff already!

purevapor1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i just find it alot better and cheaper for people who dont have $60 laying around to build there own and have a diy mixer they built themselfs on hand ;) plus i didnt have anything to do that day so i made one of them lol

purevapor1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ways you can save if you have available, an old desktop that isn't being used anymore, rip the hard drive out open it up pull the magnets off from inside the Hard drive. also if u have nuts,bolts and washers in a shed. those 2 alone wud save you about $10-12 in parts

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I've ever shook a store bought bottle of juice yet.
I need to put that on the top of my list but I'll just lose the list.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
awesome thanks man, i actually went to radioshack the other day and picked up a shitload of crap at 95% off, i actually have most of this stuff already!
Buddy of mine got in on one of the R.S. stores closing and got stupid deals.
To the point it might as well of been free really.

T

Taver13

ways you can save if you have available, an old desktop that isn't being used anymore, rip the hard drive out open it up pull the magnets off from inside the Hard drive. also if u have nuts,bolts and washers in a shed. those 2 alone wud save you about $10-12 in parts
im actually using my circ pump motor from my heating system that i had to replace when the housing cracked, hooked it into a power cord from an old sldering iron, and epoxyed some magnets to it, turned it down to 60 watts. just need to work on the stir bar, what is it made out of? is it rubber or plastic coated? and what kind of container are you using for stirring

First post. Very informative forum. Thanks. Quick question. Is the jury still out on steeping or is it absolutely necessary for mixing all the ingredients and releasing/protecting the flavors?

Never have steeped and I love 90% of the juice I made. FA forever.
FA = Flavor Apprentice??

This is what I've learnt so far ;)
  • Steep temperature = 150 degrees F
  • Steep time varies between 7 seconds to 4 or even 24 hours :rolleyes:
  • Mixing during steeping is essential but does not have to be continuous.
  • Ultrasonic cleaners work well since they also introduce heat
  • Magnetic mixes do the job well too
  • Avoid steeping spicy flavors
  • Nicotine should be added before steeping (not confirmed)
  • Steeping causes VG to thicken and darken
  • .....and I missed out on a great Radio Shack sale :(

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I explained to my sister that making juice is more like bartending than chemistry. You just want everything to mix completely vs layering. If nicotine oxidizes then air exposure is a nono and an immersion blender would be a horrible idea. If your ingredients need to outgas nastiness then maybe you should outgas before you add your nic?

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
People who vape stuff they need the caps off before it tastes vapeable can answer that. Usually you hear people complain of a chemically or floral notes or alcohol. I can't say as I don't uncap juice.

Ok thanks. I have read once before that some flavors or nicotines are suspended in alcohol. That would make sense.

Professor Snape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not a dumb question at all!

Put water in the crockpot to the level of the juice in the (glass) bottle. Turn to low or warm (whichever is the lowest setting). Crack the lid. This should keep water temp at 150 degrees (check with a candy thermometer). For tobaccos and custards leave for 4 hours. Don't use this with liquids that have spices (cinnamon, etc), because it tends to ruin them.
Glass bottle?? Makes sense, but I've been using plastic bottles placed inside a zip lock bag which floats on the 150 degree water. So far I've had no ill effects, but the plastic gets a little soft and I wonder about something leeching into the juice.

VapnCrazn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Is this you? LOL :p *go to the 02:32 mark*

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
LMAO, GUESS IM DIGGING THIS UP. thank you for the nuking to steep method. saved my juice!

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I lived in Mesa., AZ, the simplest, easiest, and cheapest way to steep was to sit it on the patio during a 120 degree day. For super speed steeping, 5 minutes in a closed car (just be careful not to melt the glass bottle) :p.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Im in NOLA and have pulled the car trick a few times. But that nuker only took 15 seconds!

VU Sponsors