Become a Patron!

Surely there's not much in the difference

I have tried looking for this in other threads but couldn't find anything.
I have been looking at the limitless single 18650 tubular mechanical mod. And then I have looked at other mods of the same calibre that are significantly cheaper. I've looked at the components used and they seem a relitively cheap piece of equipment to put together. What I'm trying to ask is what am I paying the extra money for when it comes to the more expensive ones? To clarify, I'm not including the hideously dangerous/cheap ones that would take your face off for 9.00 . Any thoughts on this would be great.limitless_styled_single_18650_mechanical_mod_3_.jpg

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have tried looking for this in other threads but couldn't find anything.
I have been looking at the limitless single 18650 tubular mechanical mod. And then I have looked at other mods of the same calibre that are significantly cheaper. I've looked at the components used and they seem a relitively cheap piece of equipment to put together. What I'm trying to ask is what am I paying the extra money for when it comes to the more expensive ones? To clarify, I'm not including the hideously dangerous/cheap ones that would take your face off for 9.00 . Any thoughts on this would be great.View attachment 58224
Most is the Limitless clones have a top cap that is screwed into the tube while authentic is made from one solid piece of metal of your choice. Authentic has more precisely made and better fitting sleeve as well.

BreSha6869

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Up to you if you think an authentic is worth 10-20x the $$$. An authentic will likely never be 10-20x better in any case.

I have other mechs that I own authentics and clones of and the authentics are ALL better. Some are close in quality and performance and some are in different leagues.

Most authentics will have better threading and parts like firing pins will be better quality material and fit/finish will be superior.

I own 6 authentics and over a dozen clones and like/use almost all of them regularly.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That $9.00 mods is no more dangerous or safe than any other mechanical mod made today in the past or in the future..........

SAFETY in mechanical mods is 100% USER dependent.

Yes, some aspects of mechs are less safe than others. IE hybrided mounts, non-locking switches ect.. BUT, even there, if the USER is doing things correctly, nothing bad will happen. The most "dangerous" part of mechs is the battery, and even they a safe until used improperly.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^^^^ yep, sorta like cars and chainsaws and butter knives....I suspect just bout everyone has stabbed themselves with a screwdriver at least once in their life.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most authentics will have better threading and parts like firing pins will be better quality material and fit/finish will be superior.

this

but i suspect the OP is not asking about clones, just why one authentic mech can sell for $300 when a similar but different authentic can sell for $100

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
this

but i suspect the OP is not asking about clones, just why one authentic mech can sell for $300 when a similar but different authentic can sell for $100
materials, quality of craftsmenship,reputations, and of course the status of owning a rare hard to find mod....there are modders who really have really high standards of craftmenship,because they are marketing to a crowd who enjoy that...just as their are people who make pipes for smokers who have extremely high quaility of materials and craftsmenship for pipe smokers who enjoy that...I don't know if their peipe's actually smoke a whole lot better than others that cost less, but the people that buy them, also enjoy the craftsmenship that goes into them. Most people either can't recognize craftsmenship, or it is not a driving force in their purchases.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then there's the human element.... People like labels and will pay a premium to get a label or the latest IN thing. Real world examples are Lexus, Acura, Lincoln and Cadilac, dodge/chrysler or Jeep. For the most part each of those products can be purchased cheaper with another label on it. Better or worse is often in the Eye of the Beholder.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Threading beautiful. You can buy upgraded spring or magnets. You will fit all the sleeves. I love my authentic

rZR6VK3.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Then there's the human element.... People like labels and will pay a premium to get a label or the latest IN thing. Real world examples are Lexus, Acura, Lincoln and Cadilac, dodge/chrysler or Jeep. For the most part each of those products can be purchased cheaper with another label on it. Better or worse is often in the Eye of the Beholder.

I don't know about that --- I used to think a Caddy was just a souped up Chevy, boy was I wrong, lol

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own a fair few clone mechs myself, and thoroughly enjoy them.
I just can't justify spending the amount a mech can cost-for example I have seen some that cost near on a grand!

I find my clones to work well, and threading to be good, but I gather with an authentic (My only authentic is the noisy cricket, and this has the worst threads of all my mechs, but it is also the price of an average clone) you will get smoother threads, possibly better contacts depending on the clone/authentic, and it will be authentic if this matters to you.

I think logo less clones, or different names clones, are a great idea, such as with the Wotofo A-Mod which was a SMPL clone that was rated highly.

To me, it really depends on will a mech be X amount better than the clone, and when the clone is available for less than 10 times the price, I will go for clone.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There are clones and there are clones. Some of the best clones are about 50% of the authentic. I would pay the extra 40% myself. The cheaper clones are just that - cheaply made. I used to buy clones. I had pins loosen on RDAs and bad connections on mech mods and hot buttons. Lots of issues. Yes, you can fix a lot of those issues if you are handy. But my authentics have generally been a pleasure to use.

In the end it's up to you of course. If I had not had issues with clones I would still be buying them. I have a HexAngel clone that actually performs pretty well. Its not as well built as my authentic HexOhm and it cost 80 as compared to 200. It is usable though and one of the better clones. Its certainly better than an authentic LE80. Still I reach for my HexOhm 1.5 first.

Stepinrazor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer to primarily invest in authentics as they are the companies that bring innovation and growth to the Vaping Industry. However I do feel that clones have their place, to a degree they help regulate the pricing of authentics and offer an affordable alternative to over priced products.

I currently own 2 x 1:1 clone devices in comparison to 20 x plus authentics, a brass Able which was a gift, at a quarter of the price of the authentic its a good trial to see how the mod performs and something you are not too concerned about if you drop. My first mech was a clone copper Limitless, by the second day of using the clone I bought the authentic device and gave the clone away. The clone was good, everything on the authentic is better.

I also own a clone tres Equis, in fact I have ended up buying 3 still totalling less than the cost of 1 authentic. My reasoning is that although it's a fantastic performing mod, both clone and authentic alike it's primarily crafted out of Delrin and aluminium. Am happy to pay top money for a crafted copper/brass tube/box but not for an aluminium/delrin box held together with stainless steel screws which will one day fail.

VU Sponsors