Become a Patron!

TFA Concentrates Advice Please!

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Howdy Guys!

I am going to trek across a great southern land (Australia) to a vape shop in the city to buy a small amount of 30ml TFA flavours... (about 5-6) bottles.

Could some VU members write a few (relatively simple in nature) TFA eliquid mixes that are not overly hard to make? ( I like vanillas/fruits)

And also... any suggestions on the most universal flavours to buy (e.g.. flavours that are widespread in many eliquid recipes) As i want to hopefully get flavours that can be most used in many other recipes if you follow what i mean...

I dont venture there much... so i want to have a few flavours in my arsenal that i can use or a compatible with other flavours i have so i can try make a few recipes..

I have already..
TFA Strawberry Ripe
TFA French Vanilla
TFA Apple
Delosi Energy Drink

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance.. :)

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
TFA's are more like ingredients in a recipe as opposed to complete flavors if you know what I mean. If you are baking cookies you need to mix several ingredients and so it is with TFA flavors (for the most part)

Creams, Sweeteners and flavors mixed together will help you get where you want to be.

Here's an example of one that I like...

Strawberry 5%
Strawberry Ripe 5%
Bavarian Cream 7.5%
French Vanilla 5%
Sweetener 3%

At these levels the juice is a "Shake and Vape" that gets better over the first few days.... Lower levels will require more aging to allow the flavors to meld (some would say steep but I don't use that term for juice)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you like cranberries, get that. It's spot on, very good. I use it all the time. Brown sugar is good in bakery/dessert mixes, Holiday Spice, too.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Definitely get Bavarian Cream, Sweet Cream, Custard, Caramel Original and Graham Cracker clear. I use all those a lot. The sweet raspberry and pear are pretty good.

My Caramel Pear recipe uses all TFA.

5% Pear
7% Caramel Original
3% Sweet Cream
3% Graham Cracker clear
1% Brown Sugar extra
1% Cotton Candy
Optional: 2-3% Sweetener

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Howdy Guys!

I am going to trek across a great southern land (Australia) to a vape shop in the city to buy a small amount of 30ml TFA flavours... (about 5-6) bottles.

Could some VU members write a few (relatively simple in nature) TFA eliquid mixes that are not overly hard to make? ( I like vanillas/fruits)

And also... any suggestions on the most universal flavours to buy (e.g.. flavours that are widespread in many eliquid recipes) As i want to hopefully get flavours that can be most used in many other recipes if you follow what i mean...

I dont venture there much... so i want to have a few flavours in my arsenal that i can use or a compatible with other flavours i have so i can try make a few recipes..

I have already..
TFA Strawberry Ripe
TFA French Vanilla
TFA Apple
Delosi Energy Drink

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance.. :)
Not a recipe but a link to the DIY Recipe section of the forum. There you find lots of recipe's to look over:
http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-e-liquid-recipes.50/

Cheers,
Steve

I mainly use FlavourArt and Capella nowadays. Back when I used TFA more I liked Juicy Peach and Pear in the fruit aisle. For Creams you can't go wrong with Bavarian Cream and Sweet Cream. One other flavoring I find very helpful is Marshmallow to give a creamy and somewhat sweeter taste to my DIY liquids. It's not a standalone but 1-2% added to a lot of my mixes really helps out!

Last edited:

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
6.7% rasperry
6.7% honeysuckle
6.7% lemon lime
10% peach
2% ethyl maltol
Those are all tfa. I would recommend though switched the peach to 8% tpa and adding 2-3% flavourart white peach it gives it a really nice touch. I know that sounds like a high % in total flavor but it works so nice the peach and lemon lime really stands out and gives a great flavor it's my all day Vape and I've been diy for about a year. If also if you think that flavor a too strong then you can always lower the percentages. Hope this helps! Also if you don't have ethyl maltol it's not that important it's only a slight difference.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll third the Bavarian Cream.

If I'm in a hurry and don't want any of my premixed juices I have on hand I'll do 4% Bavarian Cream and whatever the median mixing % is for a fruit I have on hand.

If you like cheesecake I'd suggest getting TFA Cheesecake with Graham Crust too.

A typical recipe could be:

6-8% Ripe Strawberry TFA
4% Bavarian Cream TFA
3%Cheesecake w/Graham Crust TFA

Roxynoodle also noted buying sweet cream, another flavour that's very useful and can be added to the above suggestion at about 2-3% depending on your personal tastes.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
EM = Cotton Candy for TFA. I don't recommend using it since it changes the way you taste things imo (used over .5% it mutes flavors imo again). I would rather add 1-2% Marshmallow if I'm looking for a fuller/sweeter mix. Just my 2 cents. YMMV yada,yada, yada. Not looking to start an argument, just what I've found along my DIY journey. I believe people should do what they like since after all it is DIY.

Cheers,
Steve

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
EM = Cotton Candy for TFA. I don't recommend using it since it changes the way you taste things imo (used over .5% it mutes flavors imo again). I would rather add 1-2% Marshmallow if I'm looking for a fuller/sweeter mix. Just my 2 cents. YMMV yada,yada, yada. Not looking to start an argument, just what I've found along my DIY journey. I believe people should do what they like since after all it is DIY.

Cheers,
Steve
Totally agree!

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
32%... Yeow.
I thought the same thing when I first made it but it tastes great like I said you can lower it. I started with about half that and it got better when I started upping it. Those percentages work perfect. Really I think the problem is tfa flavor aren't that strong especially the peach. I'd like to do it all with flavour art but they don't have all the flavors like honeysuckle and lemon lime. I made the flavor because my local b&m has a flavor I really liked and they had the flavor profile on there website so I tried to mimick it not knowing what brand flavor they are using. I tried probably 50 variations with different amounts of each flavor and this is pretty damn close if not maybe even a little better. When I run out of tfa raspberry I'm gonna by the flavourart raspberry but I'm still gonna have to do the lemon lime and honeysuckle from tfa. I also tried flavorwests peach and it didn't work very well.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Both strrrong flavors. Start low.
Yea I figured I have 3 or 4 other flavors from flavour art where you basically start with 1% and work your way up which is awesome since you can do higher vg mixes.

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 4 and every one is freaky wicked strong... like '2% will blot out all other fruits in the recipe' strong.
But I've never worked with percentages you're using. BTW, have you considered therapy? :)
The highest I ever used for a flavour art flavor is 3% but with tfa's on average depending on the flavor between 7-10 per flavor like I do a strawberry milk type flavor with 10% tfa strawberry and 2% fa fresh cream and 1% ethyl maltol. I will admit though I have trouble making things I like those two are really it. It drives me crazy trying to find more flavors I like. Seems like everything else I make sucks lol. And I have a lot of flavors I probably have 20 different tfa flavors but they are all fruit. I think my problem is I don't know what I like I started diy about 2 months after I started vaping. Figured why spend $20 for a 30 mill when I can make it for a hell of a lot less. But yeah I think I do need therapy lol

jefx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
+1 for TFA bavarian creme. Its good on its own, but mixes well with just about anything.

Maybe im weird, but I keep my flavoring to 6% maximum. I dont know how people vape more flavoring than that. It would make me sick.

Some TFA flavorings to avoid (based on my personal experience):
Chicken and waffles
Jalapeno
Raisin
Oatmeal cookie

I love the following:
Cranberry
Bavarian creme
Apple pie (great with bavarian cream, vanilla swirl, and horchata)
Horchata (super strong, use 2% max)
Organic strawberry
Coconut candy
Mango
Vanilla swirl
Honeysuckle
Juicy Peach

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll third the Bavarian Cream.

If I'm in a hurry and don't want any of my premixed juices I have on hand I'll do 4% Bavarian Cream and whatever the median mixing % is for a fruit I have on hand.

If you like cheesecake I'd suggest getting TFA Cheesecake with Graham Crust too.

A typical recipe could be:

6-8% Ripe Strawberry TFA
4% Bavarian Cream TFA
3%Cheesecake w/Graham Crust TFA

Roxynoodle also noted buying sweet cream, another flavour that's very useful and can be added to the above suggestion at about 2-3% depending on your personal tastes.
I made this exact one ... 5% straw ripe,3% bav cream and 2% cheesecake GC..

i made a 10ml... it was delicious...
then i 3x each ingredient to make a 30ml bottle... ultrasonic for 3 hours and then this morning ... woke up and put a little on my finger and it tastes like gassy acidic shit.
I don't know why but whenever i make a 30ml mix it has a gassy acidic 'wine like' taste...(really bad wine) but more of a chemically gas taste...
Even after an over night steep with 2-3 hour ultrasonic the night before... a little drop on the thumb can usually show if its going to be a hit or miss..

any idea where i am going wrong friends?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That would be:

10ml
0.5ml Strawberry Ripe
0.3ml Bav Cream
0.2ml Cheesecake G.C.

30ml
1.5ml Strawberry Ripe (5%)
0.9ml of Bav Cream (3%)
0 6ml Cheesecake G.C. (2%)

The only things I can think of is maybe measuring incorrectly in one of the batches or maybe not shaking flavorings before using.

PS I use a juice calculator program (EJuice me up), if your not already doing so I would recommend downloading one (program).

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That would be:

10ml
0.5ml Strawberry Ripe
0.3ml Bav Cream
0.2ml Cheesecake G.C.

30ml
1.5ml Strawberry Ripe (5%)
0.9ml of Bav Cream (3%)
0 6ml Cheesecake G.C. (2%)

The only things I can think of is maybe measuring incorrectly in one of the batches or maybe not shaking flavorings before using.

PS I use a juice calculator program (EJuice me up), if your not already doing so I would recommend downloading one (program).

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks steve ... ejuice me up is on windows... and i am on mac... so... no luck here on my part :(

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks steve ... ejuice me up is on windows... and i am on mac... so... no luck here on my part :(
Let us know if that works.

I know I've mixed those flavours at similar percentages many times and haven't had the same issue as you're having so the only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is some kind of contaminant or residual flavouring in your mixing vestibule.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Some TFA flavorings to avoid (based on my personal experience):
Chicken and waffles
Jalapeno
Raisin
Oatmeal cookie

I use Raisin only at 0.25%-0.5% for a Dutch Apple Pie I've been working on.
Used real low I can taste just a hint of it in the background.
A 5ml sample would last a long time:D.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know why but whenever i make a 30ml mix it has a gassy acidic 'wine like' taste...(really bad wine) but more of a chemically gas taste...

My only thought is that larger quantities may take longer for the flavoring to meld in.
You could also try using glass bottles for the larger batches.
Strawberry can take some time to settle and I don't use any heat either.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made this exact one ... 5% straw ripe,3% bav cream and 2% cheesecake GC..

i made a 10ml... it was delicious...
then i 3x each ingredient to make a 30ml bottle... ultrasonic for 3 hours and then this morning ... woke up and put a little on my finger and it tastes like gassy acidic shit.
Even after an over night steep with 2-3 hour ultrasonic the night before... a little drop on the thumb can usually show if its going to be a hit or miss..

any idea where i am going wrong friends?
If it's not that you're measuring wrong, could your 30ml bottles be contaminated in some way?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's not that you're measuring wrong, could your 30ml bottles be contaminated in some way?
Good catch :), after my post I started wondering the same thing. It's either the measurements are off or something is wrong with the 30ml bottles.

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe so... i must admit i only use 2 syringes for the everything (please don't kill me !) :(
How i do it ... is...
I have a 5ml syringe with removable tip... i fill it up with desired amount of flavour... insert into bottle.. squirt.
Place into cup full of water .... flush syringe with water about 3x into a separate cup... (cup of water that has been inside the syringe only)
I then change over to larger syringe 10ml,, without tip.. for the pg and nicotine... and repeat the process..

i also leave then on window pane in the sun until dry

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe so... i must admit i only use 2 syringes for the everything (please don't kill me !) :(
How i do it ... is...
I have a 5ml syringe with removable tip... i fill it up with desired amount of flavour... insert into bottle.. squirt.
Place into cup full of water .... flush syringe with water about 3x into a separate cup... (cup of water that has been inside the syringe only)
I then change over to larger syringe 10ml,, without tip.. for the pg and nicotine... and repeat the process..
Were not here to criticize you in any way. We are just trying to give you suggestions on why your bigger batches are coming out not as well as your smaller batches. There are some very helpful people on VU. Heck I use glass graduated cylinders now to measure my ingredients but I've been DIY only for years (I have a 5 piece set - 5ml, 10ml, 20ml, 50ml, and 100ml). I also make 60-120ml batches up normally so a 1/10 of a ml either way isn't really going to make a noticeable difference.

I'll look around for a juice calculator that is Mac compatible for you. If anyone knows of one, lets help the OP out with a suggestion. Good luck my friend!

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If i may ask... how does one go about sterilising equipment ... (without making it into a makeshift laboratory?) Do i buy a needle and syringe for each each individual flavour?
And bottle to suit??

How can i clean everything properly to stop any form of contamination??

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Soap and hot water, dry thoroughly and cover to keep air and debris out while storing before use--bottles should be fine. If you want to be extra careful, use a tablespoon of bleach in two gallons soapy water, let everything soak for 15 minutes, rinse well, dry thoroughly and then cover.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use glass bottles and wash them in soap and water, same with my syringes (when I use to use them) and glass measuring cylinders. I guess if you really wanted to sterilize them you could put them in a pot of boiling water.

Cheers,
Steve

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But the flush in-between use with water? this counter productive or wouldn't cause too much of a problem?
0r just use a new syringe?? and not the same one for a whole recipe?

jefx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I just use a hot water flush when switching between flavors. Occasionally, I sterilize my syringes and tips with Everclear before putting them away.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OhMG, I use a different syringe for each flavor, just so there isn't a chance of contaminating my flavorings. They are cheap and easy to clean.

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How i do it ... is...

i also leave then on window pane in the sun until dry
I frequently re-use the same syringes for the same recipe...but there is a trick to it.

1) I half fill a coffee mug with my favorite vodka (4-5 ounces will be sufficient).

2) Measure first flavour, add to e juice bottle then place syringe into vodka mug.

3) Pull syringe out of vodka. Wipe blunt needle with clean paper towel.

4) Add next flavour. Rinse and repeat until recipe is done.

The next step is tricky and if required, I'll come to your house and do it myself.

5) Drink half full coffee mug of now flavoured vodka.

Repeat steps 1-5 for additional mixes.

I suggest not doing more than 4-5 mixes in one sitting because....you'll run out of vodka and be too drunk to drive and get more.

Vaping safety at its finest:cool:

OhMG

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Air Blower.. that shits funny as! .. went to me vape shop and had a chat... got 5 unicorn bottles... big gauge syringes etc... he suggested i use 'Miltons' baby sterilisation mix you dilute with water and let your equipment soak in for 15 minutes and give it a dry.

Made a strawberry cream mix in a 30ml unicorn bottle and may i say the improvement is noticeable straight away...

So it came down to me cleaning my bottles etc in detergent and the ultrasonic that could have been the issue... or i hope to say.. WAS!

Joining this page was the best thing i have every done for myself to sharpen my skills in 'vapeology' lol

Its you guys and the help you offer that make it great... i can't thank you enough!!!! :)

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Air Blower.. that shits funny as! .. went to me vape shop and had a chat... got 5 unicorn bottles... big gauge syringes etc... he suggested i use 'Miltons' baby sterilisation mix you dilute with water and let your equipment soak in for 15 minutes and give it a dry.

Made a strawberry cream mix in a 30ml unicorn bottle and may i say the improvement is noticeable straight away...

So it came down to me cleaning my bottles etc in detergent and the ultrasonic that could have been the issue... or i hope to say.. WAS!

Joining this page was the best thing i have every done for myself to sharpen my skills in 'vapeology' lol

Its you guys and the help you offer that make it great... i can't thank you enough!!!! :)
I was joking but also kind of serious.

Never use anything that could possibly leave a residue on anything you use to mix or store vape liquids.

I personally use vodka and/or isopropyl alcohol to clean my mixing equipment. I use mainly 30ml glass bottles and clean them the same way I use to clean my daughters bottles when she was a baby. First I rinse them with alcohol then I fill them with clean water, put in a pot of water, boil for 15 minutes or so then using tongs, remove them pouring out the water and place them on a clean towel to dry. Once dry I put them into a new freezer bag and store until use.

The tops I disassemble then put in a small bowl filled with vodka or isopropyl alcohol ( I typically do this before I start cleaning the bottles) then remove after about half an hour and leave them on a clean towel to dry. Then I place those in a clean freezer bag and store until use.

Not sure what others do and would like to hear. Personally I've always been a little paranoid about things like lung infection due to improperly cleaned bottles and tops due to growing up as a severe asthmatic and knowing lung infections could be potentially lethal to me.

Last edited:

Air Blower

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Plastic bottles I typically fill about a third full of isopropyl put the top on then swish the alcohol around. I remove the alcohol by squirting it through the drip tip then soak a clean paper towel with alcohol and clean the outside. Dry then place in a clean baggie until use.

Vinegar works quite well too and is cheap as borsht.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If i may ask... how does one go about sterilising equipment ... (without making it into a makeshift laboratory?) Do i buy a needle and syringe for each each individual flavour?

If you drip each of your flavorings into the top of your syringe, rather than drawing them out, you only need to rinse once after each recipe made.
That's why I prefer the flavorings in the plastic bottles with the drip tip style toppers as the glass ones you have to draw out and rinse every time.
BUT certain flavors like Banana, Pineapple, etc., will eat the rubber plunger and it doesn't taste very good.
BTW: I was using a glass 1ml syringe for flavorings only, until I started using a scale for measuring flavorings.
Now I just use it for NIC mostly.
But I still suspect it's the 30ml plastic bottles that are leeching.
I just rinse my bottles and stuff in hot tap water and I've never had any problems so far.

VU Sponsors