Become a Patron!

The Auto-Claptonator (video)

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So yeah the video above is the rig I designed to accomplish two things:

1.) Keep the wrap wire on the spool
2.) Automatically apply the proper tension on both wires to get clean, consistent claptons or fused claptons

It's a pretty simple concept. Any sort of elastic band around the wrap spool can keep the wire from unwinding itself. I used an athletic sock, and poked the wrap wire through the elastic band.

Edit: You also need something to add a little weight under the spool to keep the wire flowing smoothly. All I did was clip my pocket knife to the bottom of the sock.

The stem piece of a old Kanger protank head is the perfect guide for the wrap wire. It has a small hole down the center, and a notch cut out at the other end for your core wire to sit inside of. This isn't the only "guide" device that would work. I was even able to use part of a Kayfun chimney, as well as the top cap to my IGO-W RDA. Anything that gives a rigid path for the wire to follow will work.

I've attached the ball bearing fishing swivels to a loop of 24 gauge kanthal, and rubber band to reduce vibration and give more "feel" to the tension. I looped the rubber band around the base of a heavy house lamp.

This is by all means not the only way to achieve this, just my method. Figured I'd share this so that anyone can get perfect claptons without the practice.

Feel free to ask any questions or to leave comments!

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thats really cool and simple. Ive got all the materials you seem to have so even though I dont use those beautiful art wires for vaping, Ive been dying to try it for some other sort of artistic idea I have.

Those claptons are really cool and someday I need to try an Alien one , amazing talent .

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what you get with this setup using 24 gauge Kanthal core, and 32 gauge Kanthal wrap. I haven't tested this yet with 36g wrap wire, simply because I don't have any right now. ;)

8PdruBx.jpg

HSvy0hX.jpg

6NjAbj3.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Now just got to rig one up that makes perfectly spaced claptons for Staggered Builds...Ill take 2 ;)

mgalyan

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now just got to rig one up that makes perfectly spaced claptons for Staggered Builds...Ill take 2 ;)

I am working on that. I almost have it doing spaced clapton's on it's own. :)

Edit: The ironic part about this system is that I don't even have an atomizer that I can fit this wire into... yet.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors