Become a Patron!

The clone wars

brassyhorn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere, but here 'goes.

I'm still relatively new to vaping but, after trying out a friend's rebuildable, (edit: my profile pic is an IGO that I picked up for $5, just to practice making coils. it sucks otherwise). Now I am interested in buying a really good flavor rebuildable. The problem is, the ones I've seen that get top marks for flavor are $100+. Clones, as you all know, are much much less expensive.

So, the question: is it worth it to drop the bucks on an authentic, or should I skip the namebrands and pick up a clone or two? If so, what clone makers should I consider? I've heard the name 'infinite' tossed around, but that's about all I know.

Thanks for any input!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats on the switch!!!
I'm new to the forum here; but, I've been raping for a year next week. I started up on RBAs a few weeks in.
A few weeks ago I would have said start with clones to make sure you like it. that said, with good authentic being in the 25-30 dollar range, its not a huge investment anymore. But, no shame in clones.
If you do go clone, everyone has a different opinion.
I've always gotten a good product by infinite. ehpro has a decent track record, tobeco is not bad either.
If you're more of a flavor guy and like a tight draw, the infinite magma is a great first shot, can run single or dual, great airflow, great capacity and easy to build. The infinite clt v1;v2 and v3 are all decent as well and they are 30-35 dollar authentic. the wotofo freakshow are also fantastic inexpensive authentic artsy(one of personal favorites )
Their is also the steamboat at 101vape.com for 17$ its basically a tugboat 2 clone under a different name and a fantastic inexpensive dripper.

brassyhorn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sweet thanks! I'm fighting the urge to buy a marquis or vertex v2, but I want to remain married so for now I'll check out your suggestions :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They have some clones of both, that I'm sure are affordable enough to be spouse approved. Honestly for me they seemed to not 'I've up to the hype. But, vaping being as subjective as it is, I may like something that someone else doesn't. a good example would be the sub ohm clearos.
I don't like the subtank, I thoroughly enjoy the Atlantis, several of my friends are opposite me on that. So, when you take someone opinion i've found it best to take them as just that,.... opinion. People that like similar gear as I do, I tend to listen, and if they say its worth it i'll give it a shot.
Inthink I saw a marquis clone at 101. if you like a tight draw and a lot of flavor you may enjoy It.

vaping_jake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have to agree the clone vs authentic is the most confusing part of the vape lifestyle.
I see clones in b&m running for 30 bucks, and authenics for 75.
I purchashed a copper little boy clone by tobeco for $21, i loved how it performed no complaints except for the top cap threading is a bit weak.
So then one guy tells me he got an authentic for 30 bucks. Now I been looking for that authentic so i could do a side by side and still cant find one for 30 bucks.
The main reason i want to do a side by side is that my unit gets hot maybe a bit to hot, i am runnig a 0.3 ohm dual coil setup on it. Now is it cause its copper or is it because the walls are a bit thin.
I have an authentic doge v2 ($50) not copper and i run it at 0.1ohms and it gets warm but not as hot as the little boy. both units are on mech mods.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere, but here 'goes.

I'm still relatively new to vaping but, after trying out a friend's rebuildable, (edit: my profile pic is an IGO that I picked up for $5, just to practice making coils. it sucks otherwise). Now I am interested in buying a really good flavor rebuildable. The problem is, the ones I've seen that get top marks for flavor are $100+. Clones, as you all know, are much much less expensive.

So, the question: is it worth it to drop the bucks on an authentic, or should I skip the namebrands and pick up a clone or two? If so, what clone makers should I consider? I've heard the name 'infinite' tossed around, but that's about all I know.

Thanks for any input!
Want a really good quality clone that appears to be made by the same manufacturer as the original? Get a Steamboat V2, it's a 1:1 of the Tugboat v2 in every detail. I have a Tugboat v2 and a Steamboat v2. They are identical, down to the post screws. You can get the Steamboat at 101vape.com.

Yeah, lately there have been a handful of affordable authentics... VaporDNA arrives a lot...

So far I have really enjoyed: The Doge, Mutation, Dragon and freakshow mini.... all around $30-$40.
My fav is the Doge/Mutation project sub-ohm combo... under $40... It rips ;-)

As far as authentic, I have had a cyclone and trident...

I have tried to get authentic atties in the past... like the atomic... and the derringer, but they are sold out so quickly...

Some clones I have had are great, some suck...

I hated my magma clone... hated my plume veil clone... they broke so quickly... had several atomic clones that sucked too...

Best clones I have had were trident v2's... some atomics...stillares....

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have tried to get authentic atties in the past... like the atomic... and the derringer, but they are sold out so quickly...
I have both the derringer clone, and the authentic. As much as I hate to say it, the 9 dollar clone is just as good and well made as the 75dollar authentic. Praxis made way to few of the derringers, and dragged their feet making more. In the mean time, it took the chinese all of two weeks to get the clone out. And now, Praxis has finally released more derringers, but they are not selling... Duh, wonder why?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My issue with clones has nothing to do with the so called ethics of it all, but rather, its the materials used. I just don't feel comfortable using china manufactured atomizers that have, or could have brass/copper parts in it. It just seems too unlikely that they would use naval brass or lead free alternatives.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My issue with clones has nothing to do with the so called ethics of it all, but rather, its the materials used. I just don't feel comfortable using china manufactured atomizers that have, or could have brass/copper parts in it. It just seems too unlikely that they would use naval brass or lead free alternatives.
Your in luck. They removed all copper parts including the contact pin on the authentic Derringer.

I'd be more concerned about the tin used in naval brass. Before we knew any better, we used a liquid tin additive to the bottom paint on our boats. The shit was so toxic, nothing would grow on the bottom of our boat, including the boats in the slips on either side of ours.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would just go with an affordable authentic such as the Doge v2 or the Mutation X v3. Get the authentic device without the crazy cost. Although vapordna, and bevapehappy often to sales on high end stuff so keep a look out on that

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The answer to your question is yes it worth buy an authentic rba/rda etc. No clones are not comparable no matter people tell you. Forget the moral argument at the end of the day you want a satifying vape. If you want flavor get an origen v2 dripper, kraken genny, rsm rocket.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. This is coming from someone who has bought clones and authentics and just the machining alone is so much better.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only reason I buy authentic is for the ONLY 1 REASON
RESALE VALUE!!
I bought my still are v2 for $80 bucks year ago then sold it for $150... The still are was a solid atty but not worth the money IMO at that time!!
INFINITE,WOTOFO,CIGREEN,
TOBECCO!! this are some of the companies that clone stuff and at the same time they have their own stuff too...
Im 100% box mod guy now, I sold all my mech tubes here,eBay,craiglist.. Im currently vaping on dragon RDA by cigreen
Little boy plus by cigreen,mutation xv2..i have 2 5 dollar derringer CRAP!!
So with that being said I'm currently waiting for a black sub ohm mini freak show $25 can't beat that...
Fyi, the Chinese are the no.1 exporter of STEEL around the world, just because its made in the USA it doesn't mean the SS,BRASS,COPPER didn't come from the MAINLAND CHINA
BIGBOYVAPER

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO the best affordable RDA out for me right now is the DOGE V2. Great ATTY. Affordable. I also like the mutation x v2.
Buying Authentic for the resale value is kind of not the point. The point is never having to get rid of them cause they hold up.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO the best affordable RDA out for me right now is the DOGE V2. Great ATTY. Affordable. I also like the mutation x v2.
Buying Authentic for the resale value is kind of not the point. The point is never having to get rid of them cause they hold up.
Not all authentics hold up...

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It has been my experience with the authentic that I have bought that as long as they are taken care of they should hold up for a while.
It has also been my experience that when I pay the $25 for the clone I will get a month or 2 out of it before I start noticing issues. That means I would have to go and buy a new clone so there is $50 spent. Repeat this a few times, and you could have gotten an authentic that will hold up that entire time.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ur gonna have to repeat that many times more,cuz there's always something better, if u have the money then go ahead.
I recommend CASCATA RDA by cartel mod FLAVOR WITH DECENT CLOUDS

BIGBOYVAPER

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
It's a mixed bag. I have clones that are great, and clones that are total crap. You'll find people who say the same thing about some authentic products: some are good, some are junk. My advice would be to start with clones. There are some good ones out there that get a lot of praise, and if you like it enough, then spend the big bucks for the authentic later.

If you're getting into rebuildables, you can get a high quality 100% authentic American-made setup for $160:
  • The Infected - Tube mech mod from USA Made Mods ($100)
  • El Cabron - RDA from Compvape ($60)
This is what I've been using as my go-to setup and its awesome. The Infected mod is backed by a lifetime guarantee, which is very rare.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd like to own authentics, but when local b&M's are selling clones for $30, and authentics for $120, it just doesnt make financial sense to me to drop the extra coin when there is often little to no discernable difference between the two.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Infected mod is so amazing. Best mech I have owned and used to date.

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will stick with authentics, clones arent worth the hassel in my opnion. The only authenic i have had problems with is my gi2. But at the end of the day its up to the individual on what they want to vape but comparing clones to authentics is a pointless argument. Quality of clones is noticable, craftmanship is sub par, switches are rarely comparable. Most people that say they are the same havent used a quality authentic or they are just trying to justify their clone purchase. I am cool with that its your choice. I personally wound rather have one quality authentic setup then a box full crap clones. In the end your probably spending the same money. And finally i also want to support the modders. Just my two cents.
What authenics are all about. Doesnt get much better than this
b5845b551d0d16609fa02289ceb1e97d.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Having both authentic and clones in my collection it depends on the modder, a carvela,yes the authentic far surpasses the clone. The stingray x; however, the infinite clone had a smoother switch and threading imho. Side by side comparison and neither were mine so I have no dog in that fight. The 4nine I own both an infinite clone and authentic. The finish on the clone was great out the box, 2 weeks later it went back in the box to never be seem again. The authentic is with , every day. The argument can go round and round especially with blanket statements of 'clone','authentic' at its root, the authentic with limited runs and much superior quality control apparatus, SHOULD be better than the clone. Also, with so many 'clones' out there its almost impossible to say all are good or all are bad. it real is almost a case by case basis.
Truly though, with what's on the market now, some authentics appear to be more of a status symbol since high quality authentic are available for not much more than clones.

Last edited:

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Having both authentic and clones in my collection it depends on the madder, a carvela,yes the authentic far surpasses the clone. The stingray x; however, the infinite clone had a smoother switch and threading imho. Side by side comparison and neither were mine so I have no dog in that fight. The 4nine I own both an infinite clone and authentic. The finish on the clone was great out the box, 2 weeks later it went back in the box to never be seem again. The authentic is with , every day. The argument can go round and round especially with blanket statements of 'clone','authentic' at its root, the authentic with limited runs and much superior quality control apparatus, SHOULD be better than the clone. Also, with so many 'clones' out there its almost impossible to say all are good or all are bad. it real is almost a case by case basis.
Truly though, with what's on the market now, some authentics appear to be more of a status symbol since high quality authentic are available for not much more than clones.
That may be true havent tried any clones in a while. I have two different caravela's the nau is the best device i have used so far but it should be at that price point. I think issues i have latley are with box modders that charge high prices for poorly contructed devices. At this point i started making my own which is alot cheaper and more durable.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Roger, I also have a DIY dna40 in addition to several other mods in this case the OP is looking into their first venture at a rebuildable. The OP does not know what they may or may not like, yet. Asking someone In that situation to build an atty, mod, or go buy a 500$ caravela, may not be the most conducive avenue for them to continue vaping.
I'd like to think I followed the path of the typical vapor, it wasn't until I knew what I liked and what to look for before I started spending that kind of money on gear.

Last edited:

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Roger, I also have a DIY dna40 in addition to several other mods in this case the OP is looking into their first venture at a rebuildable. The OP does not know what they may or may not like, asking someone In that situation to build an patty, mod, or go buy a 500$ caravela, may not be the most conducive avenue for them to continue vaping.
Point taken not really stating that he should go out buy one just responding the clone argument. Should he go buy an authentic well that would his call. I think my first device was one of the standard starter kit deals lasted about 2 weeks. Either way he will figure out what is best for him either with his next purchase or a later one. The fact that he is asking questions is a good start.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are just starting, I think you probably want to get a clone of one or two styles of atty's that interest you and get some experience building on a real build deck so that you can get a better idea of what you like and don't like before dropping big money on an authentic.

I personally have several Tobeco clones and am happy with all of them: Kayfun Lite Plus v2, Orchid v4, Stillare. And a Kayfun v4 from Cigabuy which is also pretty good quality.

A big question is what are you looking for and then look for reviews of them either here or on youtube, or @Nikkita6's reviews over at vapingcheap.com. Her written reviews are more detailed than a lot of video reviews so I value them quite a bit and she is active here on VU and normally has an active thread on each product that she reviews.

Don't be afraid of buying a clone because of what someone says from an "anti-clone" position. Take the time to research the manufacturers and make a decision on reviews of the products that you are interested in. If you end up liking the experience, then you can drop the money on the authentic but keep in mind that as someone else mentioned, sometimes the clones are actually better than the authentics because of improvements that the clone manufactures have made.

Respected manufactures are EHPro, Tobeco, Infinite, HCigar, Wotofo, and now that I have one I think that the ones sold by Cigabuy are pretty good and they have an active presence here also through their rep @pearlzeng so if you have any questions or issues she can help you quickly as she is on pretty much every night except for weekends.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
sweet thanks! I'm fighting the urge to buy a marquis or vertex v2, but I want to remain married so for now I'll check out your suggestions :)
I have a marquis, and I've built marquis clones. The tobeco clones are almost spot on in terms of quality. Some specs are off, its not a true 1:1, and is missing some features I love about the authentic. That being said, you can't go wrong with a clone. Honestly, get one, you'll love it. 11-15 hits before the cotton gets dry, and the flavor just pops coming off those vertical coils with the airflow hitting it directly from the back. It's probably my favorite rda.

Plus, it comes with coil tools and is designed to work with them to make installing a breeze. For a beginner that's probably not looking to "chuck sick clouds", and is more focused on flavor and satisfaction, you cannot go wrong with the marquis clone from tobeco.

I've been raping for a year next week.

You've been put on a list.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The rappers that shouldn't rap list?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I think he was poking fun at the typo in your first post where you put "raping" instead of "vaping" ;)
I know... was making it rap instead of rape....
Still trying to watch my p's and Q's... I was an ecf regular

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know... was making it rap instead of rape....
Still trying to watch my p's and Q's... I was an ecf regular
You'll get over that soon enough :)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
BTW, when thinking about the argument for authentics maintaining their value, I for one think that it is probably harder to sell an authentic because of the skepticism in the market now.

Because of 1:1 clones, it is very difficult to determine if a mod or atty is REALLY authentic or not. I personally would never buy an authentic from anyone that I can't verify from the manufacturer as an authorized distributor, and I think that is true of a lot of people.

Not saying that you wouldn't be able to sell it, but I think it is tougher to see them now because fraud and deception that has been running rampant in the industry in the last year.

brassyhorn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll take "therapists" for a thousand, Alex.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a mixed bag. I have clones that are great, and clones that are total crap. You'll find people who say the same thing about some authentic products: some are good, some are junk. My advice would be to start with clones. There are some good ones out there that get a lot of praise, and if you like it enough, then spend the big bucks for the authentic later.

If you're getting into rebuildables, you can get a high quality 100% authentic American-made setup for $160:
  • The Infected - Tube mech mod from USA Made Mods ($100)
  • El Cabron - RDA from Compvape ($60)
This is what I've been using as my go-to setup and its awesome. The Infected mod is backed by a lifetime guarantee, which is very rare.

I question if the El Cabron is MADE in the USA. Unless I am missing it.....I can't find on their site that it says made in the USA....I see that they designed it in the USA. I also noticed that they are out of a suburb of Chicago, not too far from me.

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You get what you pay for. Just like in the gun world, I have to say the same goes in the vape world....

chewedatty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New member here... I like the idea of an original atomizer but i don't like the idea of an overpriced one, there are good devices out there which are worth the spend, devices that will deliver over & over. I shop in the middle ground & look for genuine value for money. That doesn't mean getting it cheap, it means paying a sensible price for a respectable product. I'm a fan of smaller rda's like the reactor, cyclone, atomic & those represent my moneys worth. With all that said, it's just my way that's all, it works for me but may not be anyone elses bag. I guess i'm trying to say that everyone just has to do what works for them regardless of clone or genuine, we're all just vapers. It's not a bad idea to practice on a cheapo device if you're a novice instead of blowing a ton of cash on a quality device only to discover that even though it's a good one, it's not your bag. There are no short cuts to understanding the difference between quality & sub-standard devices but newer vapers have to kinda bang their own head to find out how painful it is. Damn, i still bang my head now.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I vaped only clones before, and yeah, I think I liked them all, no real complaints. I also liked that they were cheap enough that I could keep trying different stuff too, and since most of my buddies at the time were also buying clones, we could keep trading stuff back and forth to try out different things.

So from that perspective, I get it, and its hell of a lot of fun too without breaking the bank. At one point I had well over 8-9 complete setups which is a lot for me since I never collected anything before.

Now, I only use an authentic, one high end authentic setup and that's it. I don't vape as much now, and probably be off vaping regularly very soon, so I think its nice to have a really nice piece as a reward for getting completely off smoking, and almost completely off vaping too :D

1604zuh.jpg

I keep this setup in my mini bar now where I used to keep my expensive cigars; I don't smoke cigars anymore either, but still enjoy a tasty vape time to time ;)

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would agree alot of gear out there to choose from i know i have some new release mods that have been worse than expected. Now that i have been vaping a while i have 25 authentics. I make sure do to plenty of research before buying these days. I actually tried clones after i had a few authentics out of curiosity. Gave them all to friends. I rember the best one was the chi you clone.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I vaped only clones before, and yeah, I think I liked them all, no real complaints. I also liked that they were cheap enough that I could keep trying different stuff too, and since most of my buddies at the time were also buying clones, we could keep trading stuff back and forth to try out different things.

So from that perspective, I get it, and its hell of a lot of fun too without breaking the bank. At one point I had well over 8-9 complete setups which is a lot for me since I never collected anything before.

Now, I only use an authentic, one high end authentic setup and that's it. I don't vape as much now, and probably be off vaping regularly very soon, so I think its nice to have a really nice piece as a reward for getting completely off smoking, and almost completely off vaping too :D

1604zuh.jpg

I keep this setup in my mini bar now where I used to keep my expensive cigars; I don't smoke cigars anymore either, but still enjoy a tasty vape time to time ;)

@KKen And that is a beautiful one indeed dear .. I like it a lot, very simple yet sleek.

I have several high end authentics, and I have had a ton of clones pass through my hands. Anyone who sys that all clones are cheap crap, is lying, plain and simple. Are there crap clones? Hell yes, and ton of them, but there also plenty of very good quality clones and I have had the pleasure of owning/using many of them.

The biggest issue with the clone market is the rate of failure. No one can deny that there is a higher rate of failure in the clone market, but such is the nature of mass production. I don't care what the country of origin is, if you are churning out fully assembled devices with more than a 2 part assembly, and at a rate of 5-10,000 units per week, there are going to be some QC issues. No Human being is that efficient, most especially an over worked, and under paid one.

I cannot deny that with regards to "personal use" I have been leaning more towards authentic devices. My main gripe with China and mass production cloners is their lack of product knowledge. It really pisses me off to watch manufacturers blindly clone a product without having any real understanding or background knowledge of the original device.

That being said, I have approximately 4 cloned devices that I will never trade or sell under any circumstances, because they are that good and I actually value them no less than my authentic devices. And since KKen threw up some crisp porn, here are three authentic set ups that have been my daily's for the last two weeks. GP Paps V3 SS Edition/OZ22 Genesis, the OverOne/Nanos by MMVapors, and the SXmini/Aqua V2 by Footoon :)

spWY0m9.jpg

J7yb0eT.jpg

3oRKHEV.jpg

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's how I feel. This is my opinion and is not meant to be rude to anyone who does use clones.

IMO its not about performance, its not about it being better or elite or anything like that. It boils down to one thing. I buy authentic because they are the originator and it was their idea. I know that its difficult for e CIG manufactures to copyright their ideas and such, but I believe that intellectual property should be respected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
spWY0m9.jpg

I was super close to getting that same GP Paps you have, but eventually went with the MCR101 instead because I got to try my friends one earlier. Never held/used or seen a GP Paps in person, but something about that logo always drew me in lol.

How do you like the Oz22? There seems to be a lot going on with that build deck ;)

mjt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here's how I feel. This is my opinion and is not meant to be rude to anyone who does use clones.

IMO its not about performance, its not about it being better or elite or anything like that. It boils down to one thing. I buy authentic because they are the originator and it was their idea. I know that its difficult for e CIG manufactures to copyright their ideas and such, but I believe that intellectual property should be respected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A
I agree with you. I dont understand why china cant just develop there own unique mod. The answer is they dont want to deal with development costs. Easier to copy than to design. Although I have tried a few clones out of curiousity they have never matched the originals. Now keep in mind that was over a year ago and things may changed i dont know. As someone pointed out to me the stingray clone switch is better than the original and apparently they fixed the issue in the original. I will stick with my authentics and support creativity and quaility machining. At the end of they day vape how you want to vape.

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I vape on an authentic Magma most of the time. If I had it to do over, I'd have probably gotten a clone. That said, I have no regrets owning and authentic.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If e-cigs reach mainstream acceptance, I think the majority of the clone market will mostly migrate over to the swap meet/discount bazaar environment due to the increased liability B&M's may face from potential legal repercussions. But for now, its still very much the wild west, you can release pretty much anything today that's e-cig related, anything from Diacetyl laden juices to toxic wicks & metals without any consideration on safety/health aspects.

That said, clones will remain as they are for now, as will everything else out there, both good and especially bad.

chewedatty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Must say, this is one of the friendliest threads on the subject i've experienced. I actually do like to talk openly about it without all the drama but have found that virtually impossible in the past (on other forums)
I like authentic original devices so long as they represent realistic value for money, i'll support that. Nearly every clone i have tried has had some kind of issue whereas my genuine devices so far have been much better.
My true test of a good device comes after some considered use of it, if i reach for that atty or that mod by natural selection then THAT is the one ! My current atty is a reactor rda by madz modz & i have been using it daily for around 11 months. It's never faultered & never let me down, not once & for that reason i don't need a new atty. That there is true value for money, it was £50 delivered & i recently bought a second one so i could rotate two identical set ups. I would never buy a second of the same device if it were not worth it but some items just prove themselves, no bias, no favoritism, just the device standing up to the task in hand & surprizing me.
I still shout for the Atomic rda too despite the vast amount of other rda's that have arrived since.
Funny thing though, i went off fancy battery mods, mechs & other. I get a more convenient vape experience with budget vw devices, longer battery life, no voltage drop, cheaper & just more convenient. Can't really say that those are very original but in a way each one is i guess.... Hang on i'm going off topic ;-) I still have my mechs though & will be aquiring more !

Last edited:

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I vape on an authentic Magma most of the time. If I had it to do over, I'd have probably gotten a clone. That said, I have no regrets owning and authentic.
i have a magma clone and the authentic. they are truely identical performance wise. the biggest difference for me is the authentic is not as well machined. there was a big stink about it when it first came out and the clone honestly did a better job.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
spWY0m9.jpg

I was super close to getting that same GP Paps you have, but eventually went with the MCR101 instead because I got to try my friends one earlier. Never held/used or seen a GP Paps in person, but something about that logo always drew me in lol.

How do you like the Oz22? There seems to be a lot going on with that build deck ;)

OMG it is crazy that you mention the MCR 101 as I just bought that one on Friday! I have actually admired the MCR since it first went up on the Pit a year ago, and have a bunch of pics of saved on my computer. I recently picked up an OG Versa Hybrid V1 from the very first run and before the Luxe/Butters team up and subsequent fall out... Anyways, been running the 350 mech with the extra top cap that comes with it with my Kraken and I am in love with this set up, but I also love the Versa Hybrid as a pairing so the Kraken needs another home .. enter MCR 101, can't wait to get it! :D

How do you like your MCR 101? Haven't read a bad word about it so I only anticipate being totally happy with it.

The OZ22 ... I love it actually. Before I got it I was aware of the early popularity of it, immediately followed by 90% of users trying to unload them, lol. That is how I came to have mine. I think the OZ is one of the sexiest looking high end Gennies out there, but admittedly the deck makes it hard to work with because its so unconventional, and it is a PITA until you get the hang of it.

Took me three builds to understand how it had to be built and now I am so happy that I got it. I feel like the Last of the Mohicans because not many were able to find their way with this Genny. The flavor is fantastic though, air flow is typical of the average high end Genesis ... and OMG, so flipping sexy with the Paps, pics don't do the set up any justice.

The OZ is for those who like challenge and plan to win! LOL

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have an OZ. Now that Nikkita reminded me, I'll have to go rebuild it again. It was a pita the last time, but practice makes perfect.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It’s definitely my favorite mod, the only one I have now except for a few pieces I will be offloading again soon. I actually put some time, for the first time, into trying to figure out what would be the right one for me, rather than what I normally do which is just buy first, ask question later lol.

I went for the 18500 size, was on the fence for a 18350, but figured since this would be my only device, might be better to get a bit more milliamps in there. 18650 is too long for my preference, and don’t really need it since I don’t vape at sub-ohm resistances anymore.
95ocy0.jpg

I’m typically a SS guy, but opted for the Hiduron Copper/Nickle since I figure I would get all the performance advantages of copper without the constant maintenance required.

Dont forget to grab a hybrid connector too, I picked brass since you can’t see it anyway, and might as well get a good conducting metal. The dual allen screw system for the 510 connection is a bit different from what I’ve normally used and seen, but you’ll figure it out right away if you got one, its rather clever I think ;)

Standard top cap is your usual affair, except for the double threading; it allows you to screw/unscrew the top cap with barely just a turn and a half. Sounds like a bad idea, but it threads on very securely, and I think it’s actually nice feature after trying a few times.

I opted for the recessed switch; it comes installed with magnets, and includes 2 springs, one silver plated SS, the other Copper. I found the magnet to be the stiffest throw, followed by the copper and then the SPSS. I prefer a very soft touch, so switched it out with the lightest one, which was the silver plated SS spring. The Manchester logo and reverse engravings on the button is a real work of art, tiny detailing done flawlessly, definitely the best I’ve ever seen to date. Speaking of which, did you see the Limited edition “Madchester” logo with the smiley face? LOL

All in all, extremely satisfied with the purchase and the follow up/customer service from Liam is top shelf.

2r559gk.jpg

So what setup did you end up ordering from MCR mods?

VU Sponsors