Become a Patron!

The Derringer RDA by Praxis Vapors. It's a beast!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Elev8Vape has em for $11.99 plus a 15% coupon.. Mine was $12 something shipped.. ;)

damnit! if i like it as much as i think i am going to i will get another from elev8vape. thanks for the heads up.

I've seen a few people using the SMPL/Derringer combo. They almost seem to be made for each other. For my preferences, I'm not sure how an rda-mech setup could get any better. It's exactly what I want in every way. If I were using an rda on a high power vw device I might prefer a different atty, but for a tube mech setup these two pieces do it for me.

i agree its a very nice compact setup. my only gripe with the smpl is the lack of a lock on the switch. i have a feeling the derringer is going to be a VERY nice fit for my tarsius prime. ill be sure to post pics when it gets here.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the button on my praxis mod (clone) went out this weekend....i picked up a SMPL (clone) this morning from a local shop...i like it so far, i just like the praxis was able to lock

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats on the derringer(s)!!! I picked mine o before anyone did a review to make the authentic set with the praxis mod. its like a little tiny pissed off monster!!!

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is the white derringer topcap made of delrin, nylon, or is it just painted/coated steel?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
On the authentic the white and black are both Delrin

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice! Might have to pick up a white one to add to the collection, lol.

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Elev8Vape has em for $11.99 plus a 15% coupon.. Mine was $12 something shipped.. ;)

Saw this and went and snagged a black one myself (finally pulling the trigger on a black istick 50w while i was there too). $56 shipped. Great site for deals.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Saw this and went and snagged a black one myself (finally pulling the trigger on a black istick 50w while i was there too). $56 shipped. Great site for deals.
I just hope mine gets here soon I'm dying to take it to work for stealth vaping haha.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
I got my black Tobeco today, just finished my first build.. Made a single twisted 29ga with 8 wraps on the Coil Master 2.5mm jig.. I gotta ask, how the hell do you guys bend your legs to center this thing and still keep the coil together as neat as your pics look?? First coil I tried was a simple single strand 6 wrap, but after bending and shifting it, I got hot legs and the positive leg snapped while I was pulsing it.. Is 29ga just too 'springy'? Should I finally cave and buy some 28ga?? I have the same problem on my Magma clone. Everytime I try to get the coil centered and tweak the legs my outer wraps just go to hell. So far this ones working good, but it not centered at all, its at like a 45 degree angle between the positive and negative posts. Luckily unlike the Magma where you HAVE to have it over the airhole, the top cap can still be pointed at it and Im coughing out clouds that my Kayfun 4s and Magma cant touch.

Random second question.. When I first put the coil in and tightened it down and was pulsing/squeezing it, it came out at 1.0 ohms on the dot. Right where I wanted it. I put in my cotton yarn wick, juiced it up, fired a few times to kill the new cotton taste.. Still 1.0ohms. I put the AFC on and the top cap and now its reading 1.2??? For the first few vapes it was jumping from 1.2 to 1.5/6 to 2.1, but has finally settled back at 1.2 for now.. Is this normal? Ive noticed occasionally my Kayfuns will jump up a .1 or .2 once theyre assembled..

Last but not least, any suggestions for wicking it?? Since the negative side sits so close to the wall of the AFC, I just left enough cotton on that side to stuff it straight down, but I left quite a bit on the positive end and literally filled up the well with it and soaked the shit out of it with juice. This is only my second RDA, so my only experience is with my Magma, which youre supposed to wick sorta like my Kayfuns, just drop it straight to the well and cut it right there and then fill up the well..

Haadkoe - I wish I had a top cap that would pop off in my pocket haha. It took me a good 20 minutes to get this thing opened when I got it. Had to get a flat head jewelers screwdriver and pry it off just to build it (I had to look up pictures on Google to find out it doesnt screw on its just press fit over the o-rings haha). Its not so bad on my Sigelei Mini cause I just yank the shit out of it til it comes off, but the Tobeco's top cap is definitely not coming off on its own accord anytime soon haha.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For my coil I use 4 wraps of twisted 28 dual coil. I use the infamous blue screwdriver and leave the coil on the screwdriver after the legs are screwed in place I position the coil and still leave the screwdriver in the coil; repeat on the other side and position the coils as close to center as possible then remove the screwdriver, pulse , and make sure it looks ok. Using the twisted 28 I keep the coil spaced.
It ohm out in the 0.2-0.3 range.
The same technique works for micro coils as I use those with the same method on certain attys only when I pulse I pinch with tweezers. If I want fatter diameter coils I use the kuro/coilmaster then slip the coil on a same diameter screwdriver and use the same technique

I wick with Japanese cotton and I keep my wicks a little thin but pad under the coil Wirth japcotton

Use some eliquid to lube your O-rings or seemed you have some thinner, possibly even swap with the extras toneco sent with it.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
So far its actually working great despite my "trouble" he he. Only problem now is my drip tip! Bought a drip tip called the Mix Boy for my drippers from 101 Vape a few weeks ago when I bought my Sigelei mini, and the Delrin base literally snapped off when I removed it to fill it earlier! Good thing the Delrin piece is separate so my $5 wasn't a total waste.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so here are pics of my derringer on my prime. looks nice!

zWiCCUi.jpg

IucDCbZ.jpg

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just hope mine gets here soon I'm dying to take it to work for stealth vaping haha.

Yeah, dying to get my hands on it myself.

Just checked my tracking though and it's listed as reaching HAMPDEN, ME tonight. For a packaged shipped out of NY on monday and destined for Florida...that seems pretty strange. Hope there wasn't a shipping mix up.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, dying to get my hands on it myself.

Just checked my tracking though and it's listed as reaching HAMPDEN, ME tonight. For a packaged shipped out of NY on monday and destined for Florida...that seems pretty strange. Hope there wasn't a shipping mix up.
Did you pick first class shipping? I ordered batteries from Illumination Supply, which is like 6 hours north of me, package left San Jose, went all the way to Texas then came back to southern California. I figured they couldn't screw that up but they did..

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This little wonder from Praxis is stunning. Just got it a few hours ago and i can already tell that this is going to be sitting on my mods a lot. The flavor and vapor are in perfect, tugboatish balance and for me that's huge, given that Tugboat V2 is my favorite atty to date. Easy to setup, big juice well compared to the overall size and the flavor is just in your face. I have a 0.34 setup on it with 24 gauge Kanthal, 7 wraps around 3mm screwdriver. Clouds 'n flavor for days! Everyone should own at least one.
If i lost this right now, i would drive 60 miles to the closest vendor that has these in stock and buy two more.

View attachment 13931

very nice build. how did you create those perfect kinks in the leads heading to the positive terminal?

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just build my coils and then force em to place with a screwdriver.

oh wow. looks better than id imagine using that method. that's what I do and mine usually don't come out that nice looking. performance wise im good, but damn that build looks purdy.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
oh wow. looks better than id imagine using that method. that's what I do and mine usually don't come out that nice looking. performance wise im good, but damn that build looks purdy.
Trick is to leave just barely enough slack to get your coils centered, that way they stay tight and pretty. Heres a pic that shows how tight they should be:
uploadfromtaptalk1426279289939.jpg

noejuice

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Copied the concept shown above of positive leg bent half way inside coil (thank you, Rommel). My first RDA build ever and it works! .3ohms 6/7 tight centered 26g coils hand wrapped around a cheap q-tip. 45w 3.9v and the derringer's rolling out mentholated clouds at on my ipv 70 goat head. Lowered the nic in diy juice via vg dilution. No spitting, smooth, and not hot. Slacky, loose cotton folded under, generous with shoulders. Worked her up slowly from 13w with max saturation taking care to not heat stress the muji. This is a demanding arrangement; eliquid sits in a small tub and wants to be redripped every 6 pulls. Clouds are double or treble thick my ST mini occ at her best, but so's the wattage and there's two coils. Overall, interesting and fun with no discomfort or bummer results. I was not expecting that. These colorful, smallish wide bore drip tips work decent. https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...sin-510-drip-tip-for-derringer-rta-and-more-7

Last edited:

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you pick first class shipping? I ordered batteries from Illumination Supply, which is like 6 hours north of me, package left San Jose, went all the way to Texas then came back to southern California. I figured they couldn't screw that up but they did..

Yeah, i took the free shipping option they offered at $50.

Arrived at a second town in Maine today. So looking like no playtime on the Derringer for me until Wed at the very earliest :( (assuming it's on the way back down)

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone seen the drip tips that fit over the outside of the drip tip hole? I'm hoping they add those on FT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Yeah, i took the free shipping option they offered at $50.

Arrived at a second town in Maine today. So looking like no playtime on the Derringer for me until Wed at the very earliest :( (assuming it's on the way back down)
Ouch! Surprisingly, mine came straight here in about 5 days. I assumed it would be longer, but the PO got this one right!

After a few days with mine I'm pretty sure its ruined my vaping. I throw it on for awhile when I get home from work, but last night I used it all night. Put my Kayfun 4 on to go to work this morning and found myself lung hitting it like the Derringer, because my normal MTL hits felt too weak haha! Man I sucked a whole tank down by the time I went to lunch doing that but it was soooo good haha..

Last edited:

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ouch! Surprisingly, mine came straight here in about 5 days. I assumed it would be longer, but the PO got this one right!

After a few days with mine I'm pretty sure its ruined my vaping. I throw it on for awhile when I get home from work, but last night I used it all night. Put my Kayfun 4 on to go to work this morning and found myself lung hitting it like the Derringer, because my normal MTL hits felt too weak haha! Man I sucked a whole tank down by the time I went to lunch doing that but it was soooo good haha..

Lucky me it came today after all.

Kinda surprised how big the juice well actually is. Debating now if i want to start with a single or duel build.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I picked up a second derringer clone from another b&m today. New one is made by tobeco, my original was supposedly made by plume.

A few differences right off the bat, plume version has gold plated center post and 510 pin. Tobeco version is all stainless. Plume version comes with grub screws and a hex key, tobeco comes with philips screws and a little blue screwdriver. Both come with replacment orings. Plume version comes with a bit of kanthal and cotton to get you started, i guess. Center post on plume version spins on me, so I grab it with pliers when I tighten my center screw. Tobeco hasn't spun, yet. Tobeco version comes with no drip tip, plume version comes with a cool looking shorty which is usually too hot to use.

Slight difference is lightining bolt engraving between the two, but both look good. Machining on tobeco airflow ring was poor, holes were drilled crooked and oblong and the atty whistled when hit. Redrilling quickly resolved that.

Topcaps and airflow rings are not interchangeable. Tobeco version has a slightly larger inside diameter for AFC and top cap, and will not mount to plume version.

Deck of tobeco version is slightly thicker than plume version as well, so when assembled, looking at the atty mounted to the mod, that seam at the bottom of the derringer which is the side of the deck is noticibly thicker and more distinct. The plume looks a bit more seamless from a foot away, to my eye.

Both have center pins that extend far enough for hybrid use, but the tobeco has a slightly longer center pin.

Fwiw, IMO, ymmv, and such

I need a genuine, in every color. Lol

Favorite builds so far have been 22ga kanthal @ .2 ohms dual coil, or .45ohms single coil, wicked with kgd.

Fwiw, I picked up some shiseido cotton from a b&m, and it tastes funky compared with the kgd I have been using, which I can't taste at all. I figured they would be the same thing, but I was wrong. The more ya know, lol.

Last edited:

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had a bitch of a time tightening down the center post on my Tobeco.

Other then that got a duel .5om coil running and initial impressions are good. Wish i had a better drip tip for it though.

GFrost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been waiting to post in here till I had a chance to put some time on my derringer. I love this little thing! Single, dual, low ohm, high omh doesn't matter. Great vape and flavor. Just ordered 3 more in different colors for all my mods lol

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So now that I have a stainless SMPL/ Derringer setup, I decided I needed a copper combo. Under $30 for a whole new setup and ALL THE CAPS!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a JMK cap for derringer coming with brass & copper afc rings

tmp_25987-D_Caps_Teaser_1_IG1691304209.jpg tmp_25987-Doppel_Inside-443932810.jpg

***Edit***

And here it is. Nicely machined. Sits on authentic derringer decks. I have 3 derringer clones the JMK cap doesn't fit on. Two of the clones, the decks are machined slightly wider than the authentic, the other clone, the posts are too tall. The 21.9mm clones on fasttech are probably more 1:1. (maybe)

jmk_smpl.jpg

Last edited:

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thoughts on the differences between the Infinite vs. HCigar? I have an unknown clone of the Derringer. It's finish was terrible. But I was able to fix it up. I had to do a lot of sanding on it. This is the version 1. Right now my Derringer is on my SMPL. LOVE IT! I've tried the Derringer in dual/single coil. I like it both ways.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Derringer/SMPL club is growing. Nice. :) It's my favorite combo. I see myself using them together for a long time. The form and function are spectacular. Now I gotta add copper and brass setups so my all ss rig has a couple partners.

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm starting to think we should start a thread for this combo, but it would be pretty short. Haha!
I have a copper SMPL en route and I'm starting to wonder if I need a brass one. I don't even like brass.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Be nice if it had a deck like the plumeveil. Still a very nice product

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm starting to think we should start a thread for this combo, but it would be pretty short. Haha!
I have a copper SMPL en route and I'm starting to wonder if I need a brass one. I don't even like brass.

I don't like copper or brass, but I like the SMPL/Derringer so much it makes me want all three metals.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got my fasttech clone built and the thing is awesome! Flavor is outstanding! Made its way into my rotation. Pics to come!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Do you mind letting me in on WHERE you found an authentic? I had to perform wizardry to obtain mine.

Put simply (no pun intended) The Vapor Lair is the designer of the SMPL mod. They had Epic designs manufacture the first version. They parted ways, now Epic Designs is still selling the first version. The 2nd version of the SMPL mod is available on The Vapor Lair website as The REM mod, since now they have REM manufacturing the SMPL mod for them. It's got an upgraded rhodium-plated switch. If you have an authentic SMPL version 1, you can order just the new switch from them and it'll fit since the tubes in the new one are the same. It won't fit the clones since they have a different threading in the tube

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put simply (no pun intended) The Vapor Lair is the designer of the SMPL mod. They had Epic designs manufacture the first version. They parted ways, now Epic Designs is still selling the first version. The 2nd version of the SMPL mod is available on The Vapor Lair website as The REM mod, since now they have REM manufacturing the SMPL mod for them. It's got an upgraded rhodium-plated switch. If you have an authentic SMPL version 1, you can order just the new switch from them and it'll fit since the tubes in the new one are the same. It won't fit the clones since they have a different threading in the tube

Actually Epic designs v2 has an upgraded concave button that works better than the flat surface button in the v1. There has been quite a few complaints of the REM rhodium plated buttons getting hot. Plus, I'm not sure anything "plated" on that button is a good idea, since plating can wear or come off. The only difference between v1 and v2 is the button. Tubes are exactly the same. I seriously doubt they are even made in the US anyway.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Actually Epic designs v2 has an upgraded concave button that works better than the flat surface button in the v1. There has been quite a few complaints of the REM rhodium plated buttons getting hot. Plus, I'm not sure anything "plated" on that button is a good idea, since plating can wear or come off. The only difference between v1 and v2 is the button. Tubes are exactly the same. I seriously doubt they are even made in the US anyway.
I know, i own one haha. My point was to let everyone know that there are 2 companies that have legitimate rights to sell authentic SMPL mods. Whether one switch is better than the other isn't for me do decide. My point was that both vapordna.com and thevaporlair.com sell two different authentic SMPL mods

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know, i own one haha. My point was to let everyone know that there are 2 companies that have legitimate rights to sell authentic SMPL mods. Whether one switch is better than the other isn't for me do decide. My point was that both vapordna.com and thevaporlair.com sell two different authentic SMPL mods

Yeah, I don't know what came first, the chicken or the egg, but they are most likely made by the same company overseas somewhere. But only one company has the rights to the name Smpl, and that's EDS. EDS is owned by a Vietnamese guy, and Vaporlair is a Chinese guy. EDS's two distributors, Vaporholic and vapetrading, are owned by Chinese guys too. Not saying that's bad because they make a killer product, but it is more evidence they are only assembled in Garden Grove. Both Smpl & REM say "made in Garden Grove".

Must have been one hell of a pissing match between the two former partners

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not saying that's bad because they make a killer product, but it is more evidence they are only assembled in Garden Grove. Both Smpl & REM say "made in Garden Grove".

Must have been one hell of a pissing match between the two former partners

I suppose "made" in the USA is a term used loosely haha.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have a tobeco version of the derringer and love it like everyone else does. easily my favorite RDA to date.

but ive got a question... how the fugg do you adjust the pin? looks like all it needs is a small flathead screwdriver, but i can get that pin to budge in either direction.

am i doing something wrong? any help is appreciated!

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have a tobeco version of the derringer and love it like everyone else does. easily my favorite RDA to date.

but ive got a question... how the fugg do you adjust the pin? looks like all it needs is a small flathead screwdriver, but i can get that pin to budge in either direction.

am i doing something wrong? any help is appreciated!

so is the pin on my tobeco clone adjustable? i have a tobeco Rogue and the pin is easy to adjust. the derringer feels like its welded in there.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so is the pin on my tobeco clone adjustable? i have a tobeco Rogue and the pin is easy to adjust. the derringer feels like its welded in there.
Why do you need to adjust it? Positive hole not lined up? It needs to be tight so your positive post doesn't spin

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Got a JMK cap for derringer coming with brass & copper afc rings

View attachment 17702 View attachment 17703

***Edit***

And here it is. Nicely machined. Sits on authentic derringer decks. I have 3 derringer clones the JMK cap doesn't fit on. Two of the clones, the decks are machined slightly wider than the authentic, the other clone, the posts are too tall. The 21.9mm clones on fasttech are probably more 1:1. (maybe)

View attachment 17806
I have an authentic derringer and would love this! Where might I find one.

VU Sponsors