Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Odd, Ive never seen a Prailine topping on yams or sweet potatoes.

Fam still does the marshmallows or a candied version depending on who cooks.

Maybe that's an East coast thing?

I think you've probably had it, but I'm mis-speaking when I call it a praline topping. It isn't generally called that except around here. The recipes will say "pecan topping" or pecan crunch topping or pecan streusel or something like that. It's just that as a Texan, I know that if you cook down that sugar and butter, then stir in the pecans, you'll have pralines. This topping does somewhat "pralinize" in the oven.

Here are examples of the dish, random pics from the net:

Sweet potato casserole.JPGSweet potato casserole 2.JPG

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The praline sweet potatoes look so very good I have never had them

I wish I knew of a way to Jimify them, but that topping uses white sugar, brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, flour and vanilla, in addition to the sweet potatoes. I never make them. I eat them if someone else makes them.

Maybe toss some pecans in a little maple syrup, and spread them over your sweet potato pie for the last few minutes of baking? When you're trying to practice moderation, the most favorable quality of maple syrup is that it's so thin, so it goes a long way.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish I knew of a way to Jimify them, but that topping uses white sugar, brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, flour and vanilla, in addition to the sweet potatoes. I never make them. I eat them if someone else makes them.

Maybe toss some pecans in a little maple syrup, and spread them over your sweet potato pie for the last few minutes of baking? When you're trying to practice moderation, the most favorable quality of maple syrup is that it's so thin, so it goes a long way.
Yup everything I can't have ;) but they look so good.

that's a good idea, thank you my friend, I'll try that;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to have one of these fine automobiles, great car

1960 Pontiac Bonneville Dashboard...Ain't that just beautiful
🙂

No photo description available.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
until ou dont look and you end up in a ditch!

They were a cool car and did seem to just float down the road
hey jimi i saw a good cartoon. it showed a man waving papers around and he said...tests show you are not the father!! another man sitting on a big chair said ..yeah yeah and stuck his middle finger up and shouted...f@ck you mankind!!!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Great Depression began in 1929 and lasted for an entire decade, affecting nearly every aspect of daily life for people all over the world — and hitting the United States especially hard. U.S. unemployment soared to nearly 25%, businesses shuttered, and families lost their life savings. Food became scarce in many communities, especially as a severe drought hit the Great Plains, leading to the agricultural disaster known as the Dust Bowl. This difficult era also impacted innovation. Independent inventors found themselves with less funding, and many businesses shied away from risky initiatives, but big inventions also helped keep companies and innovators afloat during the hard times.​
Continue Reading

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Columbia House, remember?
As a kid, my first albums, [8 track] - before cassette, from an add like this or similar. Got in trouble because I didn't maintain the monthly afterward :teehee:
1704150357582.png

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Imagine my surprise when just last week I saw a beautiful old Dodge for sale with no seat belts, because cars did not have them at that time. The seller was asking $62,000 for it. Way out of my price range. It probably cost $3,000 new, not adjusting for inflation. No idea how much was spent restoring the car back to original condition.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
got-lostsomething.jpeg
*sigh*
We've lost something.

If I was Queen of the World, not only would I ban smart phones (not all mobile phones, just "smart" ones, which I call "evil phones") but also require we go back to dials instead of buttons. Before push-button phones, we spoke to humans when calling companies, banks, etc.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
next t
AND don't forget to ban those damned auto dialers the scammers use to

View attachment 211827
*sigh*
We've lost something.

If I was Queen of the World, not only would I ban smart phones (not all mobile phones, just "smart" ones, which I call "evil phones") but also require we go back to dials instead of buttons. Before push-button phones, we spoke to humans when calling companies, banks, etc.
we sure have. we think we are hard up as we watch one of our tv sets and use one of our mobiles. its not to long ago when we had to walk to the phone box and sit in our tin baths. is progress better?

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
we used to shove p
next t

we sure have. we think we are hard up as we watch one of our tv sets and use one of our mobiles. its not to long ago when we had to walk to the phone box and sit in our tin baths. is progress better?
aper up the coin return slot lol

VU Sponsors