The Good Old Times

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of toy and text

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You know what is one element of the good old times? Thanksgiving sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. They browned a little on top and got that campfire marshmallow flavor.

I know some people still make them that way, but I noticed that like the herd animals we are (not a bad thing really, we're mammals), everybody switched around the same time from the marshmallows to the pecan praline topping. That's good too, but I get nostalgic for the marshmallows.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You know what is one element of the good old times? Thanksgiving sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. They browned a little on top and got that campfire marshmallow flavor.

I know some people still make them that way, but I noticed that like the herd animals we are (not a bad thing really, we're mammals), everybody switched around the same time from the marshmallows to the pecan praline topping. That's good too, but I get nostalgic for the marshmallows.
Remind me sometime and I'll cook up a batch with the marshmallows, and post the pictures in the cooking thread for you to enjoy. :giggle:

But on the subject of both Thanksgiving and the Good Old Times, I miss when there was no sign of Christmas anywhere until AFTER Thanksgiving.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But on the subject of both Thanksgiving and the Good Old Times, I miss when there was no sign of Christmas anywhere until AFTER Thanksgiving.

That makes two of us. There are certain YouTube channels I enjoy because they're young people traveling, cooking, having fun, making discoveries, and they're silly and entertaining, but on two of them, TWO channels (and probably many more that I'm not aware of) they started decorating for xmas after Halloween! They say we don't have long enough to enjoy the tree and decorations. They do vids shopping, so you'll see them holding some styrofoam snowman, saying "I'm in love with this!" To me that's sad.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Odd, Ive never seen a Prailine topping on yams or sweet potatoes.

Fam still does the marshmallows or a candied version depending on who cooks.

Maybe that's an East coast thing?

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still have my Superscope A-260 amplifier. Yes, that is actual wood. :D
(not my photo, but it's identical)

Need it for the Onkyo turntable and Dynaco A-50 speakers to play my records on. :p
Vinyl has made a comeback in recent years. Every electronic store sells record players. What I want to know is if these will ever come back into style? How else am I gonna listen to my old Lynyrd Skynyrd collection?

1702175086224.png

VU Sponsors