Become a Patron!

Lambreau21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So after reading a good bit of forums and threads I've seen a tremendous amount of inspirational journeys that have overcome the addiction to cigarettes. Those that have overcame it, those that are striving to overcome it, and those that are just trying to figure out if vaping is really worth another failed attempt at quitting. This is a community of tremendous steps forward, many setbacks, and filled with exuberant voices of courage to strive on.
I titled this the "other side" because I never was a smoker which I feel is a slight minority although I have read of many people that just do it as a hobby. I never smoked cigarettes but I did have an addiction to chewing tobacco. I chewed for a good part of 9 years with bouts of quitting here and there but it always came back around. Playing hockey in high-school it was the thing to do so I always was chewing, more for the sense to fit in than anything else. Went to college and played a little puck but by that time it had progressed to me chewing at home, practice, etc. It became a part of my lifestyle. I went on to grad school and now it became a sense of stress relief and I found I was doing it so much my lips would be raw and I would have to put the chew on my upper lip.
That is the proverbial rock bottom of chewing tobacco. I knew I needed to stop because my teeth weren't going to get any whiter doing that everyday and thinking about the health issues. I started vaping about a couple months ago and can say I haven't touched a tin since. I don't even think about it. I know it is trading one vice for another which may not be the best thing in world but I feel like its moving in the right direction. There is little talk about the potential benefits of using vaping as a chewing tobacco cessation with most of the focus on smoking cessation. I understand smoking is more popular and has more adverse health effects but it should also be known you can quit chewing too. I've turned vaping into somewhat of a small hobby in reviewing some stuff and its turned out to be a great pleasure that keeps my mind off of chewing and can only hope it lasts. I'd eventually like to quit everything all together but for now I'm here and I'm not chewing tobacco.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU
Good to have you here

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on the quit, and welcome to the Underground! I've heard quite a few dip-related quit stories over the years, though you're right in that most people using vaping to quit tobacco are coming from some form of smoking or another - regardless, as long as you're getting the nicotine you need to keep the cravings at bay and not touch whatever tobacco product you were using, that's great. Of course, none of us know exactly how risky our new habit is, and we probably won't know for quite a few years, but the anecdotal evidence is enough to convince those of us still vaping that what we're doing now is better than what we were doing - the dip probably didn't wreak havoc on your lungs like cigarettes did for most of us, so the immediate benefits may be harder to quantify for you. At some point you'll have to decide whether vaping is something you'll do as a hobby, or if you'll taper down off the nicotine and then quit vaping too - plenty of people do this, but you rarely hear from them because they're not hanging out on vaping forums talking about continuing to vape...

VU Sponsors