Become a Patron!

The Secret to Weight Loss

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I weighed 465 pounds Oct 16, 2011. I started to diet. I weighed 404 pounds January 2015. I became a vegetarian and switched up my whole lifestyle. I weigh 255 pounds this morning. Portion control. That's what works. I've lost enough weight to know what works for me.

Update! 162 this morning..my method works for me. I am no longer a vegetarian, had to go back to meat protein due to muscle repair (I work out...a lot). Portion control and mentally telling yourself that you are going to eat to live, not live to eat works if you have discipline. I'll stop losing weight when I hit my goal of 150 pounds. Then it's all maintenance.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Update! 162 this morning..my method works for me. I am no longer a vegetarian, had to go back to meat protein due to muscle repair (I work out...a lot). Portion control and mentally telling yourself that you are going to eat to live, not live to eat works if you have discipline. I'll stop losing weight when I hit my goal of 150 pounds. Then it's all maintenance.

Good for you @Spyg0at :)

Whatever works for anyone is great!! I've been maintaining at 190 pounds for a while now. Been recovering from surgery for the last 6 weeks and gained around 5 pounds. I know I've been eating too many calories lately for my activity level and I'm going to fix that now. It helps that my activity level is going up too.

I also think about eating to live not living to eat. Internalizing that has been very good for me
yes3.gif

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am going back to intermediate fasting. For years (years ago) I did intermediate fasting because that was my lifestyle..not part of a weight control program. Now I am doing it with a bias to Keto meals/foods.

As I have aged,, and quit smoking I have put on 15 pounds that don't seem to want to leave with dieting/working out. So I got to thinking about 'the old me',, I was fine not eating all day,,,, but instead only at dinner with my family. It wasn't a big deal if I went out to lunch with friends as I wouldn't over eat the meal. Granted I had an 'extreme cal burning job' that I dont have now.... hence the adoption of keto foods. (as a bias).

My plan:
eat once a day-I like 'dinner time' so that is inside a 4 hour window of 4pm to 8pm
keep carbs under 20grams a day
keep protein under 40grams a day*
keep fats around 80-150grams a day
(note the above calc's leave me very little in calories-that wasn't a huge part of the diet plan,, but a needed part starting out)
I am going to closely monitor my protein intake,, if I get really hungry and 'go over' a bit I wont panic,, but I watched a British vid that mentions a diet heavy in proteins can backfire as far as cell repair goes,,once you go over your needs in protein,, its like turning off your repair system....I don't know,,, but I figure I will throw it in there anyway

In order for this to work for me,,, I will rely heavy on seasonings,, getting all of the foods on the plate at the same time instead of spreading them out like snacks/mini meals (you may want to go that route), I want the foods to be a 'meal'.

My food sources/portions are small,, (the numbers are pulled off the net & not exact)

food cal fat pro carb
avocado 300 27 4 15 (only about 5 net carbs) (small)
califlower-rice 25 .5 2 5 (1 cup)
sausage 180 15 10 1 (2oz)
spinach 7 1 1 1 (1 cup fresh)
bacon 60 5 3 0 (1 thick)
tuna 70 .5 16 0 (can)
hamburger 215 17 15 0 (3oz)
ham 100 3 15 0 (3 oz)
egg 74 5 6 1 (1 poached)
olives 50 10 0 0 (10 olives)

goal ranges:
75%fat/20%pro,5%carb 100gfat/50gpro,20gcarb

I used to do 1, or 2 or 6 days fasts for many years as a form of detox after huge family get togethers/meals (the holidays). So having a little meal 1 time a day should be a little easier.

I made 'spinach chips' awhile ago for the first time,, not bad,, may become a cheat snack I dont count. lol.

Something I was thinking about,,, maybe humans can get to the point they dont need much food to live on,, meaning food becomes less important (grocery bill massively shrinks) .. I saw a video while back of some old man who doesn't really eat much for years, he looked fine.

Anyway,,,today is day 1,, my husband will have more problem with this plan than me as he always did when I fasted before. I may need to get magnesium or other vitamins if I discover any problems. I figure 1 month or so for reasonable results. At that point my plan is to fast 1 day a week,, and 'intermediate fasting' with the 4 hour window every day with full portion meals.

My weakness is carbs,, breads, rice, potatos, pizza and pasta :)

tonights dinner attempt: (sausage was removed)
food cal fat pro carb
avocado 300 27 4 15 (small)

(removed---cook the sausage then drain the fat & blot it with a paper towel) cook the cauliflower rice (its good with cheddar) mash up the avocado ,, mix everything together and make spinach rolls.

the above equals:
330ish calories (data for avocados is actually for a large one)
29ish for fats
10ish for protein
21 for carbs---I can live with that (about 11 net carbs)

decided to not go with the sausage. on a positive note,, it was decent,, hot cauliflower rice on room tempt smashed avocado with spinach 'fries' wasnt bad,, c/r was cooked with fajita seasoning. its about a mindset lol, trying to keep it simple,, this may be a standard meal for awhile. maybe tweak the avocado down due to carbs.

Last edited:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am going back to intermediate fasting. For years (years ago) I did intermediate fasting because that was my lifestyle..not part of a weight control program. Now I am doing it with a bias to Keto meals/foods.

As I have aged,, and quit smoking I have put on 15 pounds that don't seem to want to leave with dieting/working out. So I got to thinking about 'the old me',, I was fine not eating all day,,,, but instead only at dinner with my family. It wasn't a big deal if I went out to lunch with friends as I wouldn't over eat the meal. Granted I had an 'extreme cal burning job' that I dont have now.... hence the adoption of keto foods. (as a bias).

My plan:
eat once a day-I like 'dinner time' so that is inside a 4 hour window of 4pm to 8pm
keep carbs under 20grams a day
keep protein under 40grams a day*
keep fats around 80-150grams a day
(note the above calc's leave me very little in calories-that wasn't a huge part of the diet plan,, but a needed part starting out)
I am going to closely monitor my protein intake,, if I get really hungry and 'go over' a bit I wont panic,, but I watched a British vid that mentions a diet heavy in proteins can backfire as far as cell repair goes,,once you go over your needs in protein,, its like turning off your repair system....I don't know,,, but I figure I will throw it in there anyway

In order for this to work for me,,, I will rely heavy on seasonings,, getting all of the foods on the plate at the same time instead of spreading them out like snacks/mini meals (you may want to go that route), I want the foods to be a 'meal'.

My food sources/portions are small,, (the numbers are pulled off the net & not exact)

food cal fat pro carb
avocado 300 27 4 15 (only about 5 net carbs) (small)
sausage 180 15 10 1 (2oz)
bacon 60 5 3 0 (1 thick)
tuna 70 .5 16 0 (can)
hamburger 215 17 15 0 (3oz)
ham 100 3 15 0 (3 oz)
egg 74 5 6 1 (1 poached)
olives 50 10 0 0 (10 olives)

goal ranges:
75%fat/20%pro,5%carb 100gfat/50gpro,20gcarb

I used to do 1, or 2 or 6 days fasts for many years as a form of detox after huge family get togethers/meals (the holidays). So having a little meal 1 time a day should be a little easier.

I made 'spinach chips' awhile ago for the first time,, not bad,, may become a cheat snack I dont count. lol.

Something I was thinking about,,, maybe humans can get to the point they dont need much food to live on,, meaning food becomes less important (grocery bill massively shrinks) .. I saw a video while back of some old man who doesn't really eat much for years, he looked fine.

Anyway,,,today is day 1,, my husband will have more problem with this plan than me as he always did when I fasted before. I may need to get magnesium or other vitamins if I discover any problems. I figure 1 month or so for reasonable results. At that point my plan is to fast 1 day a week,, and 'intermediate fasting' with the 4 hour window every day with full portion meals.

My weakness is carbs,, breads, rice, potatos, pizza and pasta :)

tonights dinner attempt: (sausage was removed)
food cal fat pro carb
avocado 300 27 4 15 (small)

(removed---cook the sausage then drain the fat & blot it with a paper towel) cook the cauliflower rice (its good with cheddar) mash up the avocado ,, mix everything together and make spinach rolls.

the above equals:
330ish calories (data for avocados is actually for a large one)
29ish for fats
10ish for protein
21 for carbs---I can live with that (about 11 net carbs)

decided to not go with the sausage. on a positive note,, it was decent,, hot cauliflower rice on room tempt smashed avocado with spinach 'fries' wasnt bad,, c/r was cooked with fajita seasoning. its about a mindset lol, trying to keep it simple,, this may be a standard meal for awhile. maybe tweak the avocado down due to carbs.
update
lost 9+ pounds
kept calories down to 300-500 each day except friday i had 1200
kept net carbs well under 20g each day including friday
minor headache on day #4,, asprin took care of that
had minor sleep issues,, seems cleared up now
only extended my walks to twice a day on some days ..time permitting

my clothes do feel ever so slightly looser,, that said i will accept the 'you only lost water weight' for the first 5 pounds,, the other 4 lost pounds was fat.

found to be a satisfying tortilla/quesadilla/wrap:
packaged guacamole cups 100cal's/2ncarbs
tortilla 4ncarb/80cal tortillas,1 or 2 day depending on recipe
2 strips of bacon 100cal/ocarb
1/4 shredded cheese 100cal/1carb
1 rice cake like item, its called 'Magic Pop',,,about the size of a small bowl, 15cal/3gcarb,,i broke it up into 'chips' and ate some of the above listed guac.

i also like cauliflower rice heated up and topped off with the mashed avocado with seasonings &spinach.. lots of spinach..this week i will likely add crumbled bacon to it as well

spinach is so low in everything,, you could have a bowel of it and not count it.

i was really glad to find the low net carb tortillas,, it makes the meals feel more normal. granted they dont have the same taste.. but if you use just a tad of butter/oil or butter flavors spray,, it greatly improves the taste.. this also greatly opens the window for what you can put into the tortilla meatwise and veggiewise.

i am very strict about eating in my 4 hour window of 4pm-8pm

i will continue to buy the prepackaged guac/avocado because its easier to count the data and store. a bonus to this was,, i made a quesadilla and all of that little cup didn't fit on the tortilla so i got to eat guac and chips :) (ok,, just a little,,with the magic pop rice cakes,, but it was good and kept me on goal of only 1 of those cups in a day)

the Magic Pop rice bowls are kind of high in net carbs,, so i make sure i only eat them when my overall carb count will easily be under 20g/day,,,, they are advertised for filling up the bowl,, but i think you would end up with a mess ,, + lower calories than pork rinds

there are many prepacked meats to make this diet dead simple,, if you stuck with the restrictions your grocery bill could come in under $30 week.,, even $20.

i bought a package of 'pulled pork' ,, it was decent,, i had it with cheese and a tortilla,, husband ate the other '4 servings' lol,, when you measure out the food,, its far less than you would think is a portion.........normally we would say that same package was maybe enough for the 2 of use split equally........not anymore

anyway,, its a journey that so far is quite 'do-able' for me,, looking forward to the next week

Last edited:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
update:
lost 2 pounds,, would likely have lost more but i twisted an ankle and spent most of the week on the couch.

i didn't get bored and eat,, stayed true to the lower carbs & calories and only ate in my 4 hour window.

seem to gravitate to avocado a lot,, bacon and low carb tortilla & a 'cup of spinach with seasonings' and a dash of olive oil or salad dressing

been reading up on drinking too much water... years ago i rarely drank anything all day.....then when i switched to vaping,, i started drinking a lot of water.........but i never really thought about how much water i was consuming. i have 20oz yeti cup that i carry everywhere,, i refill it every hour (at least) out of habit,,,,,,,,,that is way too much water! my metabolism & my body's ability to absorb vitamins etc may be 'drowned out' with this much water consumption. so i am going to pay more attention to when i drink water and how much

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
update:
loss of 0.2 pounds

more of a social week with family and friends and possibly the dreaded plateau period

so i stayed loyal to the less than 20g of carbs (5 of 7 days) but had doubled my calorie intake to closer to 1000 each day and only in the 4 hour window except for 2 days (higher carbs= 60+/-, but kept calories to right at 1000). i actually felt guilty eating at lunchtime instead of dinner time & the higher carbs,, i later felt sluggish on the heavier carb days.

intermediate fasting of 4pm-8pm works great for me and was very easy to adapt to,, the 20g of carbs/day isn't too hard until my husband orders french fries and snacks on cookies all night/ every night lol

so this week i am 'back on the wagon' 500 calories & less than 20g carbs. i was a little surprised at my 'guilty feelings' when i hit 1000 calories,, its still less than i burn a day, but it felt wrong like i was disrespecting the progress i had already made.

my husband wants me to increase my calories to 1000 a day or just dump the diet altogether. i have 5 more pounds i want to lose & hold for 1 month of 'normal eating' and possibly another 5 pounds for pre-holidays buffer.

i calc:
50cal/hour just for existing/breathing =1200 calories to live, so if i keep my max calories at 1000 i still get a 200 calorie deficit on my "pig out days'. (i burn far more calories a day,, but i use the above as my yard stick to stay on track)

if you retain any water,, so part of my weight issue could have been 1) holding too much water when i was drinking a min of 240oz- 320oz of water & not counting my heavy coffee intake a day rather than the 50-70oz needed a day 2) my body wasn't getting any nutritional value to whatever i was eating because it was being drowned,,leading to improper absorption to send correct messages to metabolism system.

1 pound =3500 calories
fwiw= 2 cups of water = 1 pound +/-,, i think this will work itself out if it hasn't already, clothes are looser now anyway

i do feel better cutting my water intake down to a more normal level,, and i feel better without the former heavier load of carbs,, i will keep both practices going forward.

coffee has been cut down to 2 pots a day from 6 pots,,,,these are small pots,, years ago i drank 8 big pots of coffee a day with cream and sugar,, now i just use cream,, about half as much,,this has been harder than the diet lol.....i will work on cutting my coffee out altogether at some point

Last edited:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lost 2.5 pounds this week,, getting close to my target lost weight goal,,but i wanted to lose another 5 just for holiday prep... then i got to thinking about 'what has changed' over the years,,, years ago i was very muscular so that 'weight' is not what i should be aiming for since i am not as muscular these days. that said,, i think i will add an additional 10lbs to weight loss goal +5 holiday pounds.... in the new year i think i will sign up for strength training and a self defense class.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no data this weekend,, had to make a near road trip (meet someone half way).

stuck to the 'diet' for the most part,, had 'road food Friday/Saturday',,, but I did try to stay on the healthy range.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Rossum, that is a fascinating video. When I decided to change my diet (as opposed to 'go on a (weight loss) diet') I did my research and what I ended up with was basically what he describes between 10:33 - 10:54 minutes. The only other thing I do is that I also do my best to eliminate processed foods.

That new diet allowed me to lose ~80 pounds without being hungry, and stick to it. It does though mean I had to significantly change what and when I eat and I think that's difficult for a lot people. But for anyone who can do it, it's a great way to go. And now I also know more about why it works so well :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read this book in 1983 when I was 25. I got it in the school library and finished it in one day. The next day I became a full-fledged vegetarian. Within 3 months my weight was down to 175-180 lbs and I was running 5 miles a day. Also, the day I read the book was the last day I had a soda. I've not had a single one in 34 years.

Today, I weigh 168 lbs, I have 9% body fat (measured 3 months ago) and I exercise regularly. This book changed my life for the better, but it has been a lot of work. I'll eat some junk whenever I want, but I don't want it very often and when I do, it's in small amounts.

However, the true key was a mind-set change of becoming a person who eats to live and not one who lives to eat. I haven't regretted it one day.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1011900.Everything_You_Always_Wanted_to_Know_about_Nutrition

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
over last 2 weeks,, 4 lbs gained due to 'not the best selection' of foods on the road back and forth and sitting in a hospital for pops'.........very stressful,, convincing a 'rugged man' that his new life involves a wheelchair or a coffin if he rejects the wheelchair. a side order of a nursing home threat suddenly made the wheel chair more tolerable for him.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read this book in 1983 when I was 25. I got it in the school library and finished it in one day. The next day I became a full-fledged vegetarian. Within 3 months my weight was down to 175-180 lbs and I was running 5 miles a day. Also, the day I read the book was the last day I had a soda. I've not had a single one in 34 years.

Today, I weigh 168 lbs, I have 9% body fat (measured 3 months ago) and I exercise regularly. This book changed my life for the better, but it has been a lot of work. I'll eat some junk whenever I want, but I don't want it very often and when I do, it's in small amounts.

However, the true key was a mind-set change of becoming a person who eats to live and not one who lives to eat. I haven't regretted it one day.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1011900.Everything_You_Always_Wanted_to_Know_about_Nutrition
When you think about it it would make sense for us to naturally evolve so that the foods we eat were our medicine, and not our addiction.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you think about it it would make sense for us to naturally evolve so that the foods we eat were our medicine, and not our addiction.

It does make sense, and perhaps it could have happened. Unfortunately, the food industry has intervened and set the course to their liking.

I first went to Thailand in 1998 and I saw very few overweight Thais. There were some US fast food outlets, but not many at all. The ones that were heavy were the young kids who were attracted to Mcdonald's. I've been to Thailand every year since then and I've watched the proliferation of not just the franchises, but also the entire processed food industry of the West has penetrated and been accepted by the Thais. They now suffer from the same weight and health issues as the West.

No place on this planet is safe from the multi-nationals. It's a fucking crime against humanity.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It does make sense, and perhaps it could have happened. Unfortunately, the food industry has intervened and set the course to their liking.
I first went to Thailand in 1998 and I saw very few overweight Thais. There were some US fast food outlets, but not many at all. The ones that were heavy were the young kids who were attracted to Mcdonald's. I've been to Thailand every year since then and I've watched the proliferation of not just the franchises, but also the entire processed food industry of the West has penetrated and been accepted by the Thais. They now suffer from the same weight and health issues as the West.
No place on this planet is safe from the multi-nationals. It's a fucking crime against humanity.
Nobody is forced to eat what those companies offer. It's a choice. Choosing poorly has consequences.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

cruise any health food store and you'll see a parade of overwieght vegetarians...go to India you'll see plenty of overwieght vegetarians....go on a construction site where you'll see guys who eat steaks and chops everyday and have 10% body fat.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replie..so can you tell me what you eat on a regular basis...I do drink diet my dew and I know I shouldnt but I do not like plain water all the time..I see everyone sayin burn more calories then you intake..i know fruits and vegetables are the key..but I feel like I would starve without meat..never tried but willing to try anything..just scared of another heart attack from low carb diet and plus its not working anyways
I don't know if there is any one diet..people have different issues, but I would suggest looking into ketogenics.....for me it was sugar and carbs that were the problem....meat and veggies,..fine.. avoiding grains and sugars worked for me....cut carbs and sugars out of your diet for 2 weeks and watch how fast your cravings for sugar disappear....there is also a book you may want to take a look at called "Wheat Belly" it was written by a doctor who was a heart specialists, and who advocates cutting out all grains as a way to combat obesity and heart problems.
moderen humans have been around for about 200,000 years....grain agriculture has been around for like 12,000- years......I'm not sure our bodies have adapted to grains, and the results of agriculture yet. I wonder if a hunter -gather template is what our bodies are based on.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the advice..I have already cut out sugars and I keep my carb intake to around 20 a day..but gonna look up that book..Thanks again..
you may need to up your fat intake...there are ways to do it as a vegetarin as well.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replie..so can you tell me what you eat on a regular basis...I do drink diet my dew and I know I shouldnt but I do not like plain water all the time..I see everyone sayin burn more calories then you intake..i know fruits and vegetables are the key..but I feel like I would starve without meat..never tried but willing to try anything..just scared of another heart attack from low carb diet and plus its not working anyways
consider yoga/meditation....your fat escapes your body on your exhale. exercise moves and tones the muscles,, but it also gets you to breath deeper/more often. when you feel like yawning,, yawn deeply and as much as you can........let the exhaust out

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've lost 28lbs in 7 weeks, stopped drinking pop and energy drinks, cut out as much sugar as I can out of my diet and very low carb intake, also small portion control. I do have a active job, but also added exercise bike to the evenings, instead of just slumping on the couch all evening.

Do have a low calorie subway every Friday as a treat, so this has been pretty easy for me.

I am at my lowest weight in 10 years :)

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've lost 28lbs in 7 weeks, stopped drinking pop and energy drinks, cut out as much sugar as I can out of my diet and very low carb intake, also small portion control. I do have a active job, but also added exercise bike to the evenings, instead of just slumping on the couch all evening.

Do have a low calorie subway every Friday as a treat, so this has been pretty easy for me.

thats great! keep up the hard work :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@kross8 ...noticed you mentioned cauliflower rice a couple times....have you made a cauliflower pizza crust?

Love um....:wave:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

cool

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@kross8 ...noticed you mentioned cauliflower rice a couple times....have you made a cauliflower pizza crust?

Love um....:wave:
I've made both cauliflower rice and pizza crust...it's pretty good pizza hell you put enough cheese and sausage on anything it tastes good.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i have not tried the c. rice as a crust.......yet :)
I put the cauliflower rice in the dehydrator until it's almost dry, then make the crust.

Makes it nice and crispy.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if there is any one diet..people have different issues, but I would suggest looking into ketogenics.....for me it was sugar and carbs that were the problem....meat and veggies,..fine.. avoiding grains and sugars worked for me....cut carbs and sugars out of your diet for 2 weeks and watch how fast your cravings for sugar disappear....there is also a book you may want to take a look at called "Wheat Belly" it was written by a doctor who was a heart specialists, and who advocates cutting out all grains as a way to combat obesity and heart problems.
moderen humans have been around for about 200,000 years....grain agriculture has been around for like 12,000- years......I'm not sure our bodies have adapted to grains, and the results of agriculture yet. I wonder if a hunter -gather template is what our bodies are based on.
i have to think that gluten 'overdosing' in our daily diets has a negative impact on our bodies. watching this simple video makes me wonder about goes on in our bodies when eating 'carbs' (not to mention all of the pesticides/poisons all fighting to change our chemistry

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have to think that gluten 'overdosing' in our daily diets has a negative impact on our bodies. watching this simple video makes me wonder about goes on in our bodies when eating 'carbs' (not to mention all of the pesticides/poisons all fighting to change our chemistry
grains and sugar..seem to be the staples of the American diet,and I believe is the reasons for the obesity plauge in America.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I'm 8 months past a hip replacement, went into it at 185 lbs, got up to 210 and back to 200 now. I'm 6'4" and will be 61 next month. 3 1/2 years ago I weighed 270. I fully expect to be back down to ~190 again in a couple of months which is where I feel best :cool:

My diet is really simple ... mostly plants, plus about 6 ounces of meat per day, and minimal processed foods. Basically I eat more low calorie food and less high calorie food, which all told also gives me all the nutrients I need. I do not supplement with any pills. If I feel like a burger and fries I go for it, but that doesn't happen more than about once a month and then it's not a triple patty burger with bacon and cheese. I'm pretty active again with a physical job that keeps me on my feet most of the time, plus regular strength and endurance workouts at the gym after work.

IMO there is not one simple thing we need to do to stay healthy, it's a big picture kind'a process and it takes going back to basics to make it work. That of course is not an easy thing for a lot of people to get a handle on, and we (myself specially) really love chocolate :gaah:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just an update,

I met my goals and maintained them through the summer. as I read and watch really old people who still have all of their marbles I have decided to take my journey 1 more step.

Pretty much 'carb free' except for the vegetables (I dont bother counting those net carbs anymore since I hit my goals)

Intermediate faster always,, I tend to stick to a 4-6 hour window,, trying not to 'lay down' for at least 2 hours after last meal.

Other than making sure I dont load up on carbs,, I eat whatever and how much I want. (I also dont add sugar to anything and have pretty much avoided all processed foods). --yes,,I still have the sloppy cheeseburger,, as an only meal of the day--but that is more like once a month)

So, 'what's next',,, well I have decided to focus on dropping my weight another 10%,, very slowly,, I mean like 1 pound a month. Right now I am at an ideal weight,, but my activity level compared to my younger days is less,, so while I look and feel great now,, its too much to ask my body to tote around unnecessary & unneeded weight.

I am not worried about losing 'muscle' because when I look at my legs,, I have already lost some muscle mass,, so might as well get rid of any fat that is left filling in. Meantime, I plan to build/maintain what muscle I still have.

food/eating is slowly becoming more of a chore as I dont get as 'hungry' as I have in the past.

anyway,, just an update for you,, but more for me so I track my progress/journey

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just an update,

I met my goals and maintained them through the summer. as I read and watch really old people who still have all of their marbles I have decided to take my journey 1 more step.

Pretty much 'carb free' except for the vegetables (I dont bother counting those net carbs anymore since I hit my goals)

Intermediate faster always,, I tend to stick to a 4-6 hour window,, trying not to 'lay down' for at least 2 hours after last meal.

Other than making sure I dont load up on carbs,, I eat whatever and how much I want. (I also dont add sugar to anything and have pretty much avoided all processed foods). --yes,,I still have the sloppy cheeseburger,, as an only meal of the day--but that is more like once a month)

So, 'what's next',,, well I have decided to focus on dropping my weight another 10%,, very slowly,, I mean like 1 pound a month. Right now I am at an ideal weight,, but my activity level compared to my younger days is less,, so while I look and feel great now,, its too much to ask my body to tote around unnecessary & unneeded weight.

I am not worried about losing 'muscle' because when I look at my legs,, I have already lost some muscle mass,, so might as well get rid of any fat that is left filling in. Meantime, I plan to build/maintain what muscle I still have.

food/eating is slowly becoming more of a chore as I dont get as 'hungry' as I have in the past.

anyway,, just an update for you,, but more for me so I track my progress/journey
excellent.....apparently you lose about 1 pound a year in muscle mass naturally once you hit 50..unless you work out.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just an update,

Congrats on your weight loss/WOE.

I have lost 60lbs so far. Most of it was from prednisone. I have to start weight training soon but need to find the time.

Congrats on your weight loss/WOE.

I have lost 60lbs so far. Most of it was from prednisone. I have to start weight training soon but need to find the time.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I'm 8 months past a hip replacement, went into it at 185 lbs, got up to 210 and back to 200 now. I'm 6'4" and will be 61 next month. 3 1/2 years ago I weighed 270. I fully expect to be back down to ~190 again in a couple of months which is where I feel best :cool:

My diet is really simple ... mostly plants, plus about 6 ounces of meat per day, and minimal processed foods. Basically I eat more low calorie food and less high calorie food, which all told also gives me all the nutrients I need. I do not supplement with any pills. If I feel like a burger and fries I go for it, but that doesn't happen more than about once a month and then it's not a triple patty burger with bacon and cheese. I'm pretty active again with a physical job that keeps me on my feet most of the time, plus regular strength and endurance workouts at the gym after work.

IMO there is not one simple thing we need to do to stay healthy, it's a big picture kind'a process and it takes going back to basics to make it work. That of course is not an easy thing for a lot of people to get a handle on, and we (myself specially) really love chocolate :gaah:
i noticed i never responded to you.....my bad,, dont know why>>>>???? chocolates are hard,, i viewed them like some people view their wines lol. its been a couple of years i think since i have had chocolate,, best i can remember.

how is your journey going?

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i noticed i never responded to you.....my bad,, dont know why>>>>???? chocolates are hard,, i viewed them like some people view their wines lol. its been a couple of years i think since i have had chocolate,, best i can remember.

how is your journey going?

No worries @kross8 :)

Yes, chocolates are hard for me too ... I love sweets and indulge once in a while but I'm still eating healthy most of the time :)

I weigh in at around 200 lbs these days and am working on dropping to 190 again, but I'm not worried about it too much. My hip is pretty good. I've rehab'ed it well enough so I can work a day and then take the pooch for a 5 mile walk if we want to. Sadie is 10 years old now and I can outwalk her some days, so we kinda make do day to day as we see fit. I think we will keep each other going for a while yet :cool:. We both have arthritis so there are some days we have to take it easy, but most times we can move pretty well.

Take care kross8 :)

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been walking a lot more lately myself,, and just got back from a 3 mile walk without Sugar my dog (she is not happy with me,, but I really wanted to walk not wait for her and her 20 potty stops lol) been trying to get in 2 or 3 3miles walks in a day,, I did a 10 mile walk last week in the Houston heat and humidity.......dang I was tired and filthy when I got home.

losing more weight lately,, not really trying,, I have lost my appetite somewhat lately,, tend to be an avocado and a can of chicken noodle soup......(odd that chicken noodle soup is 20g of carbs for the whole thing and only 150 calories)

I am/have been below my original target weight,, now my focus is to lose another 10% to offload pounds not needed as I age,,,, while back I noticed all of the really old people were THIN,, like super thin. but not anorexic. been doing some small exercises at home to improve tone-- that feels good,, i look good,, but I can get even better.

eva grin

Member For 4 Years
IN JAIL
My secrets are simple: eating healthy foods and exercising all the way. I'm not a big fan of regular trainings but not so long ago I started attending the gym to lose some weight. Also I want to make coolsculpting procedure in one Beauty Fix MedSpa clinic to get rid of cellulite and dissolve small areas of fat faster. I heard so many positive reviews about this clinic. Hope I'll see the results in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sugar and carbs are the root of the nations weight problems.
intermittent fasting can fudge the results pretty well (you can keep your sins to an extent if you commit to a very small window of time. ie,, 1 to 4 hours)
sugar and carbs nothing more than tasty battery acid on your cells ''''''ditto fruit',,,,,,,,,i suspect the Adam and Eve story we think we know was actually lost in translation,,,, the apple (fruits) are bad for your body,,, she/he / they were not to eat it unless no other food was available)

i was reviewing the previous posts,, so much old dogma/wives tails deeply seeded into our minds holding the human population back. if those ideas were true, the people would be in extreme tip top shape.

my biggest weight loss happens in my sleep,,,,,,its very strange,, because I was willing to accept 'most of that is water weight not fat'.,,,,,but nope,, because i dont regain that/any weight when I drink water/coffee.

i suspect the act of exercise is more intended to get us breathing deeper and later resting deeper when we sleep.

anyway, I am nearing the -10% of target weight. I changed my new goal to -15% of target weight,, this still keeps me at a tad higher than the lowest low for healthy bmi, then i will focus on building up my body and likely my weight will go up a bit.

right now,, letting my body reset and do any healing it needs includes letting the adrinal gland rest... it will be stressed in the rebuilding process. for now i want my cortisol levels to go low (stress)

anyway,, the quality of my life seems quite high,, higher, very clear and focused.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm trying to start 16/8 fasting to induce autophage. I need my body to consume some extra tissue. :)
I will remain keto/low carb as well. I lasted two days. I'm going for more days in a row. It's hard.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm trying to start 16/8 fasting to induce autophage. I need my body to consume some extra tissue. :)
I will remain keto/low carb as well. I lasted two days. I'm going for more days in a row. It's hard.
Stick with it....get the sugars out...then aim for the nonveggie carbs.. After that it gets real easy.

Something I picked up was not eating the normal"fluffy" salad..now I chop it up with a pizza cutter wheel thing...sure releases more or the veggies flavor..sticks better to your ribs ( with a lot of olive oil) and cuts down the work your digestive system has to do.

Hang in there ;)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stick with it....get the sugars out...then aim for the nonveggie carbs.. After that it gets real easy.

Something I picked up was not eating the normal"fluffy" salad..now I chop it up with a pizza cutter wheel thing...sure releases more or the veggies flavor..sticks better to your ribs ( with a lot of olive oil) and cuts down the work your digestive system has to do.

Hang in there ;)
I have to do this for life. I started around Feb this year. I hope to reach my goal my next summer. No sugars for me. I'm pretty strict with my carbs. Lately its 20 or less. On a special occasion day I up it to 30. I don't do cheat days.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New
good afternoon everyone!

today is my 3 year of not smoking, not once! pretty happy about that. noticed my vaping mls have gone down a bit per day. i have dropped quite a bit of weight,, my goal was 15 pounds, ended up dropping 35 and decided to aim even lower to 'underweight' then rebuild with muscle.. thats going ok.

been very busy traveling,, sadly in our families everyone seems to be aging all at once. so we feel like we are starting the funeral tours.

anyway,, hope everyone has a wonderful thanksgiving / holiday season :)

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spent several days in December and parts of January walking the line of underweight. Fasted all Christmas week,, no I didn't eat Christmas. I'm finishing up a refeeding cycle now and plan to water fast again in a couple of days while slipping in a few days of dry fasting then return to water fasting to make the whole process easier on my body.

Water fasting aides in weight loss
Dry fasting is for healing and is 3xs more powerful than water fasting

You can water fast 1day for every pound you want to lose
Dry fasting is something you need to work up to... It's not easy and shouldn't be for long periods of time

My long dry fasts tend to last 6days Max,, 3days is pretty common and a few people have done 12days,,just like vaping there are groups for fasting.

Dry fasting really has to be built upon,, IE the first time I did it,, 1day was all I could do ...next time I did 3days but kept my mouth moist. .now I can go dry all the way.

In the dry fast community there is a 'grade' /level :
Soft dry fast=you can wash your hands, brush your teeth and shower
Hard dry fast=you cant do any of the items listed in soft dry fast

Personally I did only soft dry fasting,, my hygiene means something to me :)
When you end a fasting routine, you slowly drink water with a teaspoon of baking soda ,,wait awhile then drink more water.. For dry fasting you may end up water fasting another day to prepare your body for food

Food needs to be soft and healthy not junk and sugary .

Anyway just an update for anyone interested.

Last edited:

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
if you wanna lose weight, do it now.
using more calories than you take in worked most of my life.
but when you get crippled up n spend most of the day on the couch,
it no longer works.
once you stop moving around, losing weight is impossible.

VU Sponsors