The Secret to Weight Loss

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
No, just old fashioned hard work and good decisions.

JahmezOkieDokie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good decisions are subjective and tend to only be found out through time and trial. I could want to lick a street pole after Mardi Gras for $30. At the time, it seems like a good decision. Later on... it doesn't. Taking Fen Phen, at the time, seemed like a good decision. Afterwards, it doesn't.

AngiBe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Watching my 600lb life on TLC

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Want an easy way to lose weight?

Avoid eating "four legged animals"
Lower your salt intake.
Take a multivitamin every day.

Birds, fish, plants are all okay to eat.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
While it's mostly true, that there is no one answer that fits everyone, the OP is right.

At the basics of weight loss, it IS all about the amount of calories consumed. Anyone who really thinks otherwise doesn't understand the body in the least. To lose weight (stored calories) you need to use more than you consume.

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While it's mostly true, that there is no one answer that fits everyone, the OP is right.

At the basics of weight loss, it IS all about the amount of calories consumed. Anyone who really thinks otherwise doesn't understand the body in the least. To lose weight (stored calories) you need to use more than you consume.
And eat pickles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Everytime I see this thread, I think it's spam. :giggle:

You mean it isn't?

pickle_o_1366105.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In all seriousness, I do need to loose a few, but depression and apathy make it hard to take myself serious.

Yes, all the "dieting fads" work for some people, some times for a while, but most end up gaining it back sooner or later.

Like others have stated the only thing that really works is cutting down on calorie intake to match what one is burning.

Most people put themselves on some really hard regimens that remove what they like to eat. I love bread, doughnuts, pizza , I like FOOD.

What has worked for me was putting myself on a routine of counting calories. Yes its a pain, but really the only thing that works with out changing your whole life. All those Jenny craips, weight warpers, etc are not real life routines. If you feel like a hamburger, have one, but have real light other meals.

Walk a little, it doesnt have to be a marathon, any extra exertion of physical activity is better than none. People go and join gyms, or start stupid "exercise" routines that end up with you in pain or injuries that makes your brain equal healthy with pain.

anyway, its possible, one just has to want to do it, not for that pair of jeans , not to catch the eye of someone, not for that wedding outfit, for YOU.
Being slim and pretty does not magically transform you into a happy wonderful person. If youre a miserable horrible person that looks perfect you are still miserable and horrible to others.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some people are just lucky and have the metabolism where you can eat whatever whenever you want and not gain weight.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Some people are just lucky and have the metabolism where you can eat whatever whenever you want and not gain weight.

A few years ago, I decided to loose some weight. Took me about a year, but I lost 50lbs. I just counted calories and started with stupid little stepper.

I started by cutting down those extra high cal items from things like liked. Hamburger no cheese. Pizza asked them to cut the amount of cheese. Water instead of a soda etc. Took me a long time since Im a slow metabolism person.

Once you up your activity you can change your metabolism , takes a bit of time, but it does happen , unless of course your endocrine system is truly out of whack.

I have low thyroid and not a person that likes to sweat. It takes patience, again, try to keep things similar to what you do now, just modify it.

Its amazing how all of a sudden things taste too sweet, or how greasy foods start to loose their appeal. People try to change things too drastically and end up suffering and equate suffering with healthy.

One thing that bugs the shit out of me is WHY does eating healthy have to mean tasteless, bland, stupid meals of cardboard like stringy rabbit food?

Of course one would not want that.. at least for too long and fall back into food that is good?

Everywhere I go , even burger joints or restaurants that used to have good meat balls, now serve food with NO SALT what so ever?

Unless you have problems a bit of salt is not going to kill you. Big difference in taste from cooking with a bit of salt , than adding salt to something, its never the same.

People just dont seem to be able to find a medium, its always EXTREME.... No fat, equals literally loosing your mind, your brain needs fat/ lipids to function. No glutens? damn unless you have an actual intolerance ( which is agonizing ) why? People have been living with grains for thousands of years.

Ok, Im stopping now, I know that everyone is different and it can be really , really hard to loose weight but unless a physician tells you to loose weight right now or die, take it easy, take it a step at a time. There is no miracle to weight loss except being captured and thrown in a hole and fed practically nothing or being put into a work camp and they work the weight off in a unpleasant manner.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A few years ago, I decided to loose some weight. Took me about a year, but I lost 50lbs. I just counted calories and started with stupid little stepper.

I started by cutting down those extra high cal items from things like liked. Hamburger no cheese. Pizza asked them to cut the amount of cheese. Water instead of a soda etc. Took me a long time since Im a slow metabolism person.

Once you up your activity you can change your metabolism , takes a bit of time, but it does happen , unless of course your endocrine system is truly out of whack.

I have low thyroid and not a person that likes to sweat. It takes patience, again, try to keep things similar to what you do now, just modify it.

Its amazing how all of a sudden things taste too sweet, or how greasy foods start to loose their appeal. People try to change things too drastically and end up suffering and equate suffering with healthy.

One thing that bugs the shit out of me is WHY does eating healthy have to mean tasteless, bland, stupid meals of cardboard like stringy rabbit food?

Of course one would not want that.. at least for too long and fall back into food that is good?

Everywhere I go , even burger joints or restaurants that used to have good meat balls, now serve food with NO SALT what so ever?

Unless you have problems a bit of salt is not going to kill you. Big difference in taste from cooking with a bit of salt , than adding salt to something, its never the same.

People just dont seem to be able to find a medium, its always EXTREME.... No fat, equals literally loosing your mind, your brain needs fat/ lipids to function. No glutens? damn unless you have an actual intolerance ( which is agonizing ) why? People have been living with grains for thousands of years.

Ok, Im stopping now, I know that everyone is different and it can be really , really hard to loose weight but unless a physician tells you to loose weight right now or die, take it easy, take it a step at a time. There is no miracle to weight loss except being captured and thrown in a hole and fed practically nothing or being put into a work camp and they work the weight off in a unpleasant manner.

Eating Healthy does not have to mean Bland or Tasteless. You can cook using spices and minimal salt and serve Heart Healthy meals that taste great. I do it all the time and it is really actually simple. Because fast food is crammed with many additives that are unhealthy right away they go after the salt which in moderation is a requirement for a healthy diet.

And I am that person those with weight problems hate because I don't gain weight even when I eat fattening foods.

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Eating Healthy does not have to mean Bland or Tasteless. You can cook using spices and minimal salt and serve Heart Healthy meals that taste great. I do it all the time and it is really actually simple. Because fast food is crammed with many additives that are unhealthy right away the go after the salt which in moderation is a requirement for a healthy diet.

And I am that person those with weight problems hate because I don't gain weight even when I eat fattening foods.

I was one of those before I had my 2 sons and everyone would make fun of me or shun me.

After things change with having kids and age, its gets harder.

Funny thing after I lost that weight a while ago, people would see me and be surprised that I had kept it off after 6 months, after a year, another couple years. It was not hard because I modified my habits without relying on something hard to keep up with.

THen I had some things happen in life that caused me a LOT of stress and anxiety, I started to loose weight without trying. I got ulcers, acid reflux. WOrking myself so hard physically to take my mind off the problems.

Im 5' 2" and went from 160 to 115 to 120, I was happy, felt good etc,.then I found that my clothes were hanging off me, people started saying I looked tired. So I stepped up on high calorie foods; dozens of doughtnuts in a week end. Pizzas, etc. I dipped down to 100, I was having trouble keeping food down, I was so stressed.

Went to doctors, they assumed eating disorders, but did some tests and found bleeding ulcers all over my upper digestive tract and other intestinal problems all due to stress and anxiety. Had a mental breakdown, they put me on all sort of stupid meds that made me a zombie.

Left that job and I got better. How surprising?

They put me on one med for anxiety and I gain 30 lbs in a couple months. They said to stick to it, even though I was twitching like "Tweek" in South Park and having involuntary spasms with my face.

Any way, sometimes its so many things. Im better, but still a spazz.

Im working on losing 20lbs.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In all seriousness, I do need to loose a few, but depression and apathy make it hard to take myself serious.

Yes, all the "dieting fads" work for some people, some times for a while, but most end up gaining it back sooner or later.

Like others have stated the only thing that really works is cutting down on calorie intake to match what one is burning.

Most people put themselves on some really hard regimens that remove what they like to eat. I love bread, doughnuts, pizza , I like FOOD.

What has worked for me was putting myself on a routine of counting calories. Yes its a pain, but really the only thing that works with out changing your whole life. All those Jenny craips, weight warpers, etc are not real life routines. If you feel like a hamburger, have one, but have real light other meals.

Walk a little, it doesnt have to be a marathon, any extra exertion of physical activity is better than none. People go and join gyms, or start stupid "exercise" routines that end up with you in pain or injuries that makes your brain equal healthy with pain.

anyway, its possible, one just has to want to do it, not for that pair of jeans , not to catch the eye of someone, not for that wedding outfit, for YOU.
Being slim and pretty does not magically transform you into a happy wonderful person. If youre a miserable horrible person that looks perfect you are still miserable and horrible to others.
i am sort of like forest gump,, i can walk forever,,,,,,,,,,,but you wont really lose weight unless your walking/activity raises your heart rate.........i have very low bp / heart rate...but in the summer i swim,,,,a lot. i will do anything that raises my heart rate.. for me its not about losing weight,, its about keeping everything working (my weight is fine,, and i eat like a horse)...but i can over eat around certain foods,,,,,,,years ago when i played ball the coach had all of us on a version of the atkins diet,, eat all the protein you want,,,,,,,,,,,but that is it,,,,,,,,,,, sounds great until you cant stand meat after a few days......but it does work,, you drop fat not muscle. imagine going to the store and buying 27 cans of tuna lol..........BORING!

AS i age,, i am watching my weight more and more,, because i dont want to be heavy when i am old and unable to move myself around. (i have watched old overweight people just flounder around.......i want to be that crazy little old lady zipping around)............recently i took sugar off my coffee routine........first few days a bit rough,, but now i dont even miss it. vaping has replaced my late night snacking...........so chips mid day is my problem area... i have replaced that with sunflower seeds or veggies. i hope whatever you do,, that it works out for you.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i am sort of like forest gump,, i can walk forever,,,,,,,,,,,but you wont really lose weight unless your walking/activity raises your heart rate.........i have very low bp / heart rate...but in the summer i swim,,,,a lot. i will do anything that raises my heart rate.. for me its not about losing weight,, its about keeping everything working (my weight is fine,, and i eat like a horse)...but i can over eat around certain foods,,,,,,,years ago when i played ball the coach had all of us on a version of the atkins diet,, eat all the protein you want,,,,,,,,,,,but that is it,,,,,,,,,,, sounds great until you cant stand meat after a few days......but it does work,, you drop fat not muscle. imagine going to the store and buying 27 cans of tuna lol..........BORING!

AS i age,, i am watching my weight more and more,, because i dont want to be heavy when i am old and unable to move myself around. (i have watched old overweight people just flounder around.......i want to be that crazy little old lady zipping around)............recently i took sugar off my coffee routine........first few days a bit rough,, but now i dont even miss it. vaping has replaced my late night snacking...........so chips mid day is my problem area... i have replaced that with sunflower seeds or veggies. i hope whatever you do,, that it works out for you.

Same here, all the ladies in my family are short and most of them get pretty round in their later years ( I hate the word OLD)

Most of them have the usual problems, finding clothes, its hard to find clothes that are wide enough but you dont end up with giant long sleeves or having to have the length of pants or skirts chopped off so one doesnt trip.

I have a few aunts that have watched themselves as they got over 60 and like you say, they are trotting around, going on vacations, doing their own pedicures, etc.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same here, all the ladies in my family are short and most of them get pretty round in their later years ( I hate the word OLD)

Most of them have the usual problems, finding clothes, its hard to find clothes that are wide enough but you dont end up with giant long sleeves or having to have the length of pants or skirts chopped off so one doesnt trip.

I have a few aunts that have watched themselves as they got over 60 and like you say, they are trotting around, going on vacations, doing their own pedicures, etc.
i have this stupid funny thing i do only at night,,,,,,i hunch over with a pretend cane and walk real slow and talk like i am over 100 every time i go to the kitchen for water refills.........my husband finds it hilarious..............i tell him 'its the future'.. he laughs and says 'sure for me (him),, you on the other hand will be one of those old ladies with a handsome 20 year old boyfriend'

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was another who looked slightly anorexic most of my life.... till my mid-40s, when it all changed. I still believe in "eat a little less, move a little more," but it takes longer than it used to (and moving hurts a lot more than it used to!).

Andria

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I weighed 465 pounds Oct 16, 2011. I started to diet. I weighed 404 pounds January 2015. I became a vegetarian and switched up my whole lifestyle. I weigh 255 pounds this morning. Portion control. That's what works. I've lost enough weight to know what works for me.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I weighed 465 pounds Oct 16, 2011. I started to diet. I weighed 404 pounds January 2015. I became a vegetarian and switched up my whole lifestyle. I weigh 255 pounds this morning. Portion control. That's what works. I've lost enough weight to know what works for me.

It seems to me that's really the only sane way to do it -- nobody can stick to weird diets for very long, but if you get your stomach used to smaller amounts of food, it shrinks, and you feel satisfied.

I'm considering starting a one-day-a-week fast, to help along the stomach shrinkage. Recently when I was under the weather, I did fast one day, and for the next few days, I ate a lot less, because it filled me up faster.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Eating Healthy does not have to mean Bland or Tasteless. You can cook using spices and minimal salt and serve Heart Healthy meals that taste great. I do it all the time and it is really actually simple. Because fast food is crammed with many additives that are unhealthy right away they go after the salt which in moderation is a requirement for a healthy diet.

Do you have a sense of smell?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One thing I found a help was Plantain seeds. I would sprinkle a pinch, or two into some salad. Would eat a nice salad once a day. For myself it helped clear everything out better.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exercise.
Build a menu you can live with over time, instead of dieting for a short time.
No fried foods.
No soft drinks.
Less carbohydrates.
Less processed foods.
More vegetables (and no onion rings is not vegetables).

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exercise.
Build a menu you can live with over time, instead of dieting for a short time.
No fried foods.
No soft drinks.
Less carbohydrates.
Less processed foods.
More vegetables (and no onion rings is not vegetables).

Everything else you said is a direct contradiction of the part I underlined. The only things I have *none* of, are those things that actually make me sick to eat them -- eggs, fatty beef. Everything else, I eat... even fried foods, complex carbs, processed foods, and yeah, SUGAR. Because I cannot live "over time" excluding whole food groups from my diet, it's just not feasible, or desirable -- I try to not eat a LOT of fried foods, but c'mon, fried chicken? who wants to live without that? I can't be a food nazi, it's just not me. And I fucking HATE exercise. If I happen to exercise while doing something I like, GREAT! Otherwise... it just ain't happenin.

Andria

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I guess no fried food is asking too much so lets say less, but still no soft drinks is a must.

There are other ways to make whole chicken, chicken parts and chicken breast, like baking and grilling.

A lot of vegetables can be eaten fresh or made into a salad and a lot can baked or grilled.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well I guess no fried food is asking too much so lets say less, but still no soft drinks is a must.

There are other ways to make whole chicken, chicken parts and chicken breast, like baking and grilling.

A lot of vegetables can be eaten fresh or made into a salad and a lot can baked or grilled.

Sure there are lots of ways, but nothing tastes the same as fried chicken. And it's kind of a pain in the butt to make, so I don't much mind not having it too often, but never???? Nah, that's impossible.

And I don't drink a lot of soda anymore, maybe 1 or 2 a month. But again, "never" is just impossible. Maybe other people can be that kind of food nazi, but that's not me. I'd far rather have sweet tea or ruby-red grapefruit juice, but sometimes those just aren't possible. So I grab a pepsi or dr pepper because they're easy, I like them, and I don't make a daily thing of them anymore.

I really don't see any point in living if you constantly deny yourself everything you enjoy. Why bother to even get up in the morning?

Andria

hashtagvapemail

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The "secret" to losing weight is simple. Take in less calories than you put out. In other words, caloric deficit.

The problem with weight loss isn't in the method, the math is simple, it's the implementation(caloric density of foods) and the tools(our bodies) that makes it so hard.

The human body always wants to gain weight, and does all it can to avoid losing weight. We also don't have a calorie in meter, a calories used per day meter, or other things that would make this all much easier. We're stuck estimating it all against a metabolic baseline that isn't stable and which doesn't want to use any of its fat if possible. That's the part that's hard. It's not the math side, it's the human side.

It's also not a one and done. Losing weight is like cleaning your living room. The fact that it may get dirty next week is nor reflection on whether or not you got it clean this week. Losing weight and maintaining weight are two very different things (the latter is much easier honestly) and should not be viewed all bundled up. Your weight is a point in time in a dynamic system, it's not a one time activity, but something that has to be maintained, like your balance, or beer in the fridge. So if you've lost and then gained some back don't ever let anyone tell you that you've failed, you won the first battle, there was just another battle. No big deal.

It can be done, but the reasons people have a very hard time with it are completely honest, and aren't based on laziness. Especially women, they're not blessed with easy increases in muscle mass, they have a much harder time than men do and I feel bad for them. But it can be done, you just have to be very honest with yourself about what you're doing and go into it knowing that it's really tough in this day and age, and that your body is basically working against you the whole time.

Your body is working against you to lose weight, and small caloric deficits are very difficult because results are slow, and your body will adjust it's metabolic rate to meet the input. It's insidious.

We're built for a world we no longer live in, we aren't made for a world with Circle-K's on every corner, and our access to calorie dense food would be unheard of throughout most of human history.

Our bodies are built for intermittent periods of famine, and really aren't built to be constantly fed. Because famine is so regular in the natural world (for a number of reasons) we are built to take in as many calories as we can. Our bodies are skewed on a very deep level to always attempt to put weight on.

This isn't an excuse, it's just how we're built. Fat is fantastic, it's the absolute best way to store food for periods of famine while maintaining maximum mobility as people. Just think about carrying around 3500 calories worth of food (it's a lot), and compare to one pound of fat (which is small and distributed for even loading across the entire body); it's phenomenal. The problem is that in our modern age famine doesn't exist at all in large swaths of the human world. Our reality is out of step with what our biology is built for.

Just for bona fides, I'm a male and I dropped about 70pounds at my lightest at around age 38 (some has come back due to a nasty injury, but I'm starting to work it back down again).

The way I did it is very short periods(two weeks tops) of very high caloric deficit, with longer periods(3-4 weeks) of weight stabilization(goal is no weight change in this period) in between, and constant strength training (at least when I can, the injury is a nasty one that has stopped me from that for a few years). Averaged about 1-3 pounds a week across the whole cycle. I also do some cardio, but cardio is not the way you lose weight, diet is (unpopular, but patently true). Unless you're an elite level endurance athlete, you simply can't run more calories off in a day than you can take in without injuring your body beyond repair.

I do not deny myself anything, I just accept that if I eat too much (which I have been lately) it will require another period of weight loss to bring things back to where I want them again. I don't stop living in my house in order to keep it clean, I accept that from time to time I may need to spend a short period to pick some things up. You can also of course clean your house as you go, but this is a harder approach for me because what I like to eat is generally not all steamed chicken and veggies.

Last edited:

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It always, always amuses me when an obese person claims they have a glandular problem that's the root of their problem. I know I should be more sympathetic but realistically I have little sympathy for any addicted individual. I was an addict, an alcoholic, a smoker. I have a predisposition to become addicted. I came to my senses and realized that I needed to stop this shit and look after myself. I did this without any "programs". I didn't need to discuss my problems with a group of strangers. My problems weren't the cause of my addiction. It was my lack of resolve and my being too dumb to look after myself that needed to change. Nobody else will change that. You need to do that on your own. There's no magic pill that's going to stop you from hurting yourself. Back to the glandular problem. It must be something that is in the genetic makeup of affluent countries only because you never see people with this glandular condition in countries where getting food is a struggle. In fact you never see any "eating disorders" in any country that isn't populated by self absorbed whiners that blame everybody else for their self inflicted ills. The method to losing weight is simple. Consume less calories and expend more calories. Stop at the supermarket salad counter for dinner instead of the McDonald's. If you're going to Mickie D's make healthier choices, a salad instead of fries, a grilled chicken instead of a double bacon cheeseburger, a water instead of a large shake. There's no secrets here. Everybody knows how to eat right. The trick is to actually do it. Occupy your free time taking a stroll instead of watching Oprah or some other slob that makes you feel better about yourself. Get a dog and walk him, a lot. That tub of ice cream will make you feel better until you look in the mirror, jump on a scale or take your blood pressure at the local drug store.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It always, always amuses me when an obese person claims they have a glandular problem that's the root of their problem. I know I should be more sympathetic but realistically I have little sympathy for any addicted individual. I was an addict, an alcoholic, a smoker. I have a predisposition to become addicted. I came to my senses and realized that I needed to stop this shit and look after myself. I did this without any "programs". I didn't need to discuss my problems with a group of strangers. My problems weren't the cause of my addiction. It was my lack of resolve and my being too dumb to look after myself that needed to change. Nobody else will change that. You need to do that on your own. There's no magic pill that's going to stop you from hurting yourself. Back to the glandular problem. It must be something that is in the genetic makeup of affluent countries only because you never see people with this glandular condition in countries where getting food is a struggle. In fact you never see any "eating disorders" in any country that isn't populated by self absorbed whiners that blame everybody else for their self inflicted ills. The method to losing weight is simple. Consume less calories and expend more calories. Stop at the supermarket salad counter for dinner instead of the McDonald's. If you're going to Mickie D's make healthier choices, a salad instead of fries, a grilled chicken instead of a double bacon cheeseburger, a water instead of a large shake. There's no secrets here. Everybody knows how to eat right. The trick is to actually do it. Occupy your free time taking a stroll instead of watching Oprah or some other slob that makes you feel better about yourself. Get a dog and walk him, a lot. That tub of ice cream will make you feel better until you look in the mirror, jump on a scale or take your blood pressure at the local drug store.
nobody knows the nature of addiction..if we could crack that nut,it would solve a whole lot of problems....I don't know if it's emotional disorders, genetic predispositions, diets, brain chemistry what...but until we do know I think you're right at some point you just have to stop hurting yourself....

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
There's so much wrong with our society now. Kids are too lazy to walk five blocks and we relent and drive them. They play video baseball instead of heading down to the baseball diamond with a bat, ball and glove. It shows too. Obesity is rampant in our youth. We should be putting on some long-johns, jeans and shoes and walking them were they need to go. Walk to the corner store instead of driving two blocks. Lose the pajama pants and sandals, get dressed, put on some boots and go.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know I should be more sympathetic but realistically I have little sympathy for any addicted individual. I was an addict, an alcoholic, a smoker. I have a predisposition to become addicted. I came to my senses and realized that I needed to stop this shit and look after myself. I did this without any "programs". I didn't need to discuss my problems with a group of strangers.
Discussing problems isn't what "programs" are really about, they're about working toward the solution. Not everyone can do that alone. I admit, I used to think the same thing, until I experienced it.

Sorry for the OT post, but I suppose addictions, are addictions, regardless.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's so much wrong with our society now. Kids are too lazy to walk five blocks and we relent and drive them. They play video baseball instead of heading down to the baseball diamond with a bat, ball and glove. It shows too. Obesity is rampant in our youth. We should be putting on some long-johns, jeans and shoes and walking them were they need to go. Walk to the corner store instead of driving two blocks. Lose the pajama pants and sandals, get dressed, put on some boots and go.
yeah too much truth to that....it used to be boys were proud of how hard they could work, if they could do a man's share of labor....now they are proud of how much work they can get out of...that aside our food in this country is shit ...whether it is overly processed empty carbs, or genticlly engineered grains that destroy the gut lining, or hormone laced milk and meat products.....or food that has just simply been raised on soil depleted of nutrients and minerals. usually the food pyramid in this country has devolved into the three major food groups....fat,sugar, and salt......

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For me the only food plan that works is a Paleo/low carb diet. My doctor said I can start the plan but advises me it will be hard since I take Prednisone and Imuran. I'm cool because I know it works. I was doing a low fat version due to the husbands quintuple bypass surgery (all of the men have died from heart disease). We eat good fats so it won't be difficult. We no longer eat beef. Low fat does not work for me. I actually gained weight from doing low fat.:)

I plan on dusting off the treadmill and dangling a twinkie to encourage me to use the damm thing.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Discussing problems isn't what "programs" are really about, they're about working toward the solution. Not everyone can do that alone. I admit, I used to think the same thing, until I experienced it.

Sorry for the OT post, but I suppose addictions, are addictions, regardless.

Yep, exactly. AA won't help anybody who isn't willing to be helped, to actually make the changes that WILL help -- but I could never have stayed sober, my first year, without AA.

I've now been sober over 24 yrs, and rarely go to meetings anymore; I've internalized the AA program, and I know that I'm only 1 drink away from a drunk that I might never recover from. So when my mom died, and I was so miserable that the thought of chemical numbness was really tempting... I went to a meeting. Seeing people there in their first week, month, or year of sobriety, desperately clinging to it by their fingernails... that was all I needed, to remind myself that I don't ever want to go back to that.

Pain is part of life, and mainly, the worst pain results from love: when someone you love dies, or gets hurt or ill, or goes away, it's going to hurt, and badly. But the only way to avoid that pain is not to love, and who wants to live like that? I certainly don't. So you take the bitter with the sweet.

Andria

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, I will tell you what has worked for me.

About 6-8 months ago, I was between 250/260 Lbs at 6'2

3 lifestyle changes for me.

A-Stop Drinking Beer. I have about 2-3 glasses of Red Wine every night. Which has also done wonders for my Cholesterol. I no longer need pills.

B-For Breakfast, I have a 16 Oz mug (in addition to my morning coffee) of Vegetable Juice with two scoops of protein powder added. I also take dietary supplements per my doctor.

C-Lunch. Well pretty much what is easily available at the time. But a small portion.

D- For dinner a nice mix of protein, veggies and starches. Tonight was left over pieces of beef roast, some carrots on a bed of mashed potatoes with some gravy to cover.

Keep in mind, it takes you tummy about 15 to 20 minutes to tell your brain that you have had anything to eat. So have a bit, wait and then eat if you are still hungry.

Anyway, something is going right as this morning, the bathroom scale said 218.1 Lbs.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, exactly. AA won't help anybody who isn't willing to be helped, to actually make the changes that WILL help -- but I could never have stayed sober, my first year, without AA.

I've now been sober over 24 yrs, and rarely go to meetings anymore; I've internalized the AA program, and I know that I'm only 1 drink away from a drunk that I might never recover from. So when my mom died, and I was so miserable that the thought of chemical numbness was really tempting... I went to a meeting. Seeing people there in their first week, month, or year of sobriety, desperately clinging to it by their fingernails... that was all I needed, to remind myself that I don't ever want to go back to that.

Pain is part of life, and mainly, the worst pain results from love: when someone you love dies, or gets hurt or ill, or goes away, it's going to hurt, and badly. But the only way to avoid that pain is not to love, and who wants to live like that? I certainly don't. So you take the bitter with the sweet.

Andria
like Jesus said..when two or more are gathered in my name there am I....there is a power in creating a sanctuary with other people, and a power in solitiude

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I will tell you what has worked for me.

About 6-8 months ago, I was between 250/260 Lbs at 6'2

3 lifestyle changes for me.

A-Stop Drinking Beer. I have about 2-3 glasses of Red Wine every night. Which has also done wonders for my Cholesterol. I no longer need pills.

B-For Breakfast, I have a 16 Oz mug (in addition to my morning coffee) of Vegetable Juice with two scoops of protein powder added. I also take dietary supplements per my doctor.

C-Lunch. Well pretty much what is easily available at the time. But a small portion.

D- For dinner a nice mix of protein, veggies and starches. Tonight was left over pieces of beef roast, some carrots on a bed of mashed potatoes with some gravy to cover.

Keep in mind, it takes you tummy about 15 to 20 minutes to tell your brain that you have had anything to eat. So have a bit, wait and then eat if you are still hungry.

Anyway, something is going right as this morning, the bathroom scale said 218.1 Lbs.
another approach that has had great succsess..is to have a well balanced diet with sensible portions...void of process foods, bad fats,sugar, and refined carbohydrates......stick to this diet as long as you can, but if you go off it ...eat what you want, and when your finished with your guilty pleasures a guy named Liam with hobnailed boots comes in and kicks you in the stomach for breaking the diet..it worked for me....

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Keep in mind, it takes you tummy about 15 to 20 minutes to tell your brain that you have had anything to eat. So have a bit, wait and then eat if you are still hungry..

This is all I really need to know, to be able to stick to sensible portions -- EAT SLOWLY. Since I have a lot of dental problems, it's not really a challenge for me; I don't really have any choice but to eat slowly. If you "wolf down" your food, you definitely eat more.

Andria

VU Sponsors