Become a Patron!

Trying to find a clear answer for a change! Otherwise I'm going back to Marlboro's immediately! :'(

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In need of serious help before I say f*** all of this and go back to cigarettes.

I have the Sigelei 90w plus mod with a single 26550 / 4200mAh / 40A / 3.7V battery. It came with an Ares tank, which I liked for it's simplicity. But as they don't make it anymore, I did some research and ordered an Aspire Cleito tank. It comes with a .4ohm coil installed, and an extra .2ohm coil. When I primed the coil and put it on my mod, the resistance went wayyy up to around .6 (after staying between .2-.3 oh the Ares tank). I was told by my local vape shop owner that this was too high and that it could be a bad coil initially, a vague answer that doesn't help me one bit. He said to try the .2ohm coil and see what happens. I then also got a resistance of around .6, but as high as .72. If my coils are .2ohm and .4 ohm, aren't I at risk of damage to the battery no matter what I do?

In my research, not ONE of the forums or videos of the many I watched/read mentioned ANYTHING about resistance being something to watch out for. In fact, most of the literature involving resistance is unbelievably vague. I'm becoming very frustrated. I'm not sure if I'm just a f***ing moron or if the vape world assumes people know what they're talking about. I've been trying to learn about resistance/wattage/volts for DAYS now and am further from understanding it than before I ever started vaping. Any literature on resistance COMPLETELY ignores wattage & volts, and any literature on wattage and volts COMPLETELY ignores resistance - or at least in any verbiage a normal human being would understand. The local shop owner also said (over the phone) that the Cleito might not be compatible with my mod, which raises another question: if this is possible, why do NONE of the 20+ minute reviews on the Cleito make ANY mentions of potential compatibility issues?!?!?!?!?!?!

I want to know if I can use this Aspire Cleito tank on my Sigelei 90w plus mod with my 26550 / 4200mAh / 40A / 3.7V battery, WHY it will work/not work, and if it will work, should I use the .2 Is that so much to ask? Help would be beyond appreciated.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I then also got a resistance of around .6, but as high as .72. If my coils are .2ohm and .4 ohm, aren't I at risk of damage to the battery no matter what I do?

Higher ohms will not damage your battery - not sure who told you that would happen

Plenty of folks vape at 1.8 or even higher

A .2 coil registering .6 or more is odd, but not going to wreck you mod or the battery, period.

I want to know if I can use this Aspire Cleito tank on my Sigelei 90w plus mod with my 26550 / 4200mAh / 40A / 3.7V battery, WHY it will work/not work, and if it will work, should I use the .2 Is that so much to ask? Help would be beyond appreciated.

Just vape it dude - there is no reason on earth the Clieto would be "incompatible" with your Sigelei

A little variance in ohms is to be expected as the coil heats up/ cools down

There are a large number of threads explaining the relationship between ohms, wattage and voltage around

I'm sure someone will be along with a good link anytime though

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't give up. The sigelei can fire down to .1 ohm so it's not that. It sounds to me like a connection issue between the sigelei and the cleito. The sigelei has a spring loaded 510 pin. Try seeing if your pin is stuck they sometimes happens with the same tank being on for a long period. Sometimes pushing down and releasing a fee times can make it release.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I want to know if I can use this Aspire Cleito tank on my Sigelei 90w plus

The mod is well protected from anything happening, plus like others have said there are no issues, so vape away.
  • Input High Voltage Warning
  • Low Voltage Protection
  • Output Short-Circuit Protection
  • Low Resistance Protection
  • Reverse Battery Protection
  • Overheating Prevention

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well... The problem could be a few factors.
Make sure the mod is not in TC mode.
Check and see what the specs are on the mod.
Make sure the coils are screwed down good and tight on the mod and the 510 pin is firm.

If all check out than the problem could be bad coils, or the 510 in the mod.
I doubt it's the 510 in the mod,based on sigelei having a good track record with their 510s. You could try and push the 510 with a screwdriver to make sure it's not jammed.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Take the coil out, clean up any juice, then reinstall the coil, and try again. This has happened to me a few times with different tanks.

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow thanks guys that was fast! Ok so here's where I get confused. The vape store owner said that if I vape ABOVE the ohms of whatever coil I'm using (.4 or .2), it will burn my cotton up right away, but if I vape BELOW the ohms of whatever coil I'm using (.4 or .2) I could explode the battery.

JuicyLucy: They vape at 1.8, but on WHAT kind of coil? I don't get it! I guess my main question is this: if I use a .4 coil, what's the HIGHEST ohms I can vape at without burning the cotton, or the LOWEST ohms I can vape at without exploding the battery? Or am I totally asking the wrong question?! Haha

mattdarat & f1reb1rd : I don't believe I have a connection issue, nor did I mention it. Why are you talking about that? Sorry to single you out (I greatly appreciate your responses), but you're hardly the first to answer a question I DIDN'T ask. This is why I get confused, I search for information on an issue and people start talking about another issue entirely and do not explain why the f*** they are talking about that issue. This trend is rampant in the vape world, I'm noticing. Can you be more clear? What specs should I check? I've been over them multiple times, I know the specs, I do not know what ohms are safe to vape at nor can I find a friggen clear answer!

Thanks for your responses everyone! My angry tone is not directed at you, more so at my brain not grasping these concepts properly!

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also like the answer "Just vape it dude" very much! But I worry about if I'll still like it with my face blown off...

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've also read that any voltage above 4 is potentially burning formaldehyde or something, yet both of these coils involve voltages higher than that at their recommended wattages?!?!

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow thanks guys that was fast! Ok so here's where I get confused. The vape store owner said that if I vape ABOVE the ohms of whatever coil I'm using (.4 or .2), it will burn my cotton up right away, but if I vape BELOW the ohms of whatever coil I'm using (.4 or .2) I could explode the battery.

JuicyLucy: They vape at 1.8, but on WHAT kind of coil? I don't get it! I guess my main question is this: if I use a .4 coil, what's the HIGHEST ohms I can vape at without burning the cotton, or the LOWEST ohms I can vape at without exploding the battery? Or am I totally asking the wrong question?! Haha

mattdarat & f1reb1rd : I don't believe I have a connection issue, nor did I mention it. Why are you talking about that? Sorry to single you out (I greatly appreciate your responses), but you're hardly the first to answer a question I DIDN'T ask. This is why I get confused, I search for information on an issue and people start talking about another issue entirely and do not explain why the f*** they are talking about that issue. This trend is rampant in the vape world, I'm noticing. Can you be more clear? What specs should I check? I've been over them multiple times, I know the specs, I do not know what ohms are safe to vape at nor can I find a friggen clear answer!

Thanks for your responses everyone! My angry tone is not directed at you, more so at my brain not grasping these concepts properly!
The reason I mentioned it is because a bad connection can cause resistance variances. I had coil heads that didn't tighten far enough that would work one time and say no atty the next. The 510 pin issue I mentioned happened the other day to a friend a could that should read .5 was reading .8 or .9. Put it on my box .5 everytime. I noticed the pin reflected differently than the rest of the connection and sure enough from having one tank on for so long the pin stayed where it was after fiddling with the pin it came up and started working. I apologize for no explanation. My best advice is to check everything that touches to make a connection to the 510 connection ie coil head, pin, etc. This is typically the issue if it works well with other devices.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've also read that any voltage above 4 is potentially burning formaldehyde or something, yet both of these coils involve voltages higher than that at their recommended wattages?!?!

Total bullshit ^^^^^

Sounds like you are having a nic fit, lol

Your regulated mod (Sigelei) has built in safety features to prevent your battery from "venting" and blowing your face off.

The store you went to is not very knowledgeable at all and has done you grave disservice. They do not know what they are talking about.

An oversimplified explanation: Ohms are the resistance of the coil, your mod reads the resistance from the coil via the atomizer.

You set the wattage you want to vape at.

Start low, say 20 watts or so, and crank it up until you like how it vapes.

The mod will automatically put out the proper voltage to keep the wattage even

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The reason I mentioned it is because a bad connection can cause resistance variances. I had coil heads that didn't tighten far enough that would work one time and say no atty the next. The 510 pin issue I mentioned happened the other day to a friend a could that should read .5 was reading .8 or .9. Put it on my box .5 everytime. I noticed the pin reflected differently than the rest of the connection and sure enough from having one tank on for so long the pin stayed where it was after fiddling with the pin it came up and started working. I apologize for no explanation. My best advice is to check everything that touches to make a connection to the 510 connection ie coil head, pin, etc. This is typically the issue if it works well with other devices.

Ahh, thank you very much. Ok I'm almost 100% that is is NOT connection issue. Right now I have the .4 coil on there, it's registering .8ohms and 5.6 volts at 40watts. Is this normal / acceptable? If not, what do I need to do for the Cleito to work on the Sigelei?

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's totally not true about the formaldehyde. It's a scare tactic. Don't worry about the voltage. Just stay within the recommended watts.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Total bullshit ^^^^^

Sounds like you are having a nic fit, lol

Your regulated mod (Sigelei) has built in safety features to prevent your battery from "venting" and blowing your face off.

The store you went to is not very knowledgeable at all and has done you grave disservice. They do not know what they are talking about.

An oversimplified explanation: Ohms are the resistance of the coil, your mod reads the resistance from the coil via the atomizer.

You set the wattage you want to vape at.

Start low, say 20 watts or so, and crank it up until you like how it vapes.

The mod will automatically put out the proper voltage to keep the wattage even

LOL yeah I pretty much am! I don't want to be though...

Your oversimplified explanation is STILL above my head, as I do not understand the meaning of the word "resistance" anymore than "ohms". See what I'm saying? I went to school for art, not electrical engineering lol.

OK FINAL QUESTION!!!(hopefully): What resistance is too high? Too low? I don't understand if it's better to be above the coil specification or below it!

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh, thank you very much. Ok I'm almost 100% that is is NOT connection issue. Right now I have the .4 coil on there, it's registering .8ohms and 5.6 volts at 40watts. Is this normal / acceptable? If not, what do I need to do for the Cleito to work on the Sigelei?
Whatever the coil is it is. The resistance marked doesn't matter. Vape at what wattage feels best. Nothing bad will happen because the mod you have has short protection which means it won't allow the lack of resistance/ short circuit to cause the battery to vent. One thing to check and maybe I missed if you did or not is make sure the mod is in power mode not temp mode as this can cause the old resistance to be locked in by the mod. In essence making it appear as though the new coil is .8band not the actual resistance. Just be aware that if it was bad for the mod it won't let you do it .

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whatever the coil is it is. The resistance marked doesn't matter. Vape at what wattage feels best. Nothing bad will happen because the mod you have has short protection which means it won't allow the lack of resistance/ short circuit to cause the battery to vent. One thing to check and maybe I missed if you did or not is make sure the mod is in power mode not temp mode as this can cause the old resistance to be locked in by the mod. In essence making it appear as though the new coil is .8band not the actual resistance. Just be aware that if it was bad for the mod it won't let you do it .

Thanks! What about burning the cotton?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What resistance is too high?

The resistance is in the coil. Resistance = ohm. According to the Sigelei 90 box, it will fire a coil up to 3

That is why earlier I recommended you set the wattage lower (start at 20 watts or even less) and vape it. Keep going up a watt or two after each vape until you like what you vape.

The cotton shouldn't burn unless you set the wattage too high. You will definitely taste it.

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It will only burn if it is dry. Usually before it burns you will have an uncomfortable vape prior to it actually burning. I think you are safe. Start out at maybe 25 30 watts and bump up a little at a time until it is satisfying enough

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the voltage is correct for that ohm with 40 watts...However that's far too much wattage/voltage for .80 ohms...That will most likely burn the coil up quickly...40 watts is more for around a .4 ohm coil as that coil should be and voltage would be around 4.0v and not over 5 volts...Not that its dangerous but I cant imagine the vape being all that great with that much power to a .8 coil.

I would suggest lowering the power to maybe the 20 to 25 watt range. as this is plenty of power for a proper vape with those ohms.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

For one VOLTAGE will not help create formaldehyde.
Whoever told you that does not know what they are talking about.
The formaldehyde study has been debunked more times than I could mention
Voltage is a unit of measurement. The formaldehyde was produced using a wicking material rarely used these days and applying such a high amount of power to it, that no one would be able to vape it.

Why did we mention connection? Because it could be a reason for your resistance changing.

What ohms are safe to fire?
That depends on mod, mode and battery. Juicy gave you a good answer for the coils you are using.

If you want to know more about what we are talking about:

Terminology used in Vaping

Ok, im pretty sure that if you’ve gotten to this point you have a basic idea on what some of the vaping terms and acronyms. But let’s get these out of the way.

Watts- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate applied power

Volts- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate pressure applied to current to create power

Resistance- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate resistance

amperage- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate current flow

The above four will be discussed more in a later section

Atomizer- this is the top part of the vaporizer, which heats the liquid and converts it to vapor

Subohm tank- this is a type of atomizer with tank and changeable coil with a resitance below one ohm

Clearo – or – clearomizer - a type of atomizer consisting of a tank and changeable coil with a resistance above 1 ohm

RBA – an atomizer that is designed to be rebuilt by the user. These allow the user to fine tune a vape the way they like.

RDA- a type of RBA where the user drips juice directly onto the coil, there is no tank. These are very common and tend to be geared towards either flavor or a lot of vapor production.

RDTA is a type of rda with a tank attached

Gensis style- a modular rda with a tank below the atomizer and a wick pulling juice to the coil

RTA- an RBA with a tank attached and the uice usually flowing from below the rebuilt coil via a vaccum pressure. Like a subohm tank but with col rebuilt by the user.

MOD- the portion of the vaporizer with the batteries. This is a broad term used for any handheld battery operated device that fires the atomizer.

Mech- this is short for mechanical mod, a device that holds a battery with battery contacts. There are not any safety features incorporated in a mechanical mod. Usually they are single battery tubes, or dual battery boxes in series or parallel. These should only be used by experienced vapors with a basic understanding of electronics theory, safety, ohms law, coulombs law, and those who know what they are doing.

Unregulated mod- similar to a mechanical mod but has wires and usually a mosfet switch. But the same principals for safety apply. – you are the safety feature.

Regulated mod- these have become the most popular mods in vaping. They come in several different shapes sizes and features. Essentially they have a battery, and circuit board as well as a way for you to adjust voltage or wattage. Some allow you to regulate temperature to a degree as well (more on that later), they usually have safety features and vary in there complexity, from a dial to push button. Some safety features would be current and voltage limits, reverse battery protection, and not allowing you to fire unsafe coils. Still I stress- ultimately you are responsible for your own safety. All electronics have the prepotency for failure.

TCstands for temperature control. This allows you to set a limit not allowing the coil to go over a predetermined temperature.

PWM- Pulse Width Modulation, this is a way of applying power to the coil that modulates the power by firings in pulse. This is not used frequently anymore but you still may hear the term from time to time. It is usually accompanied by a rattlesnake sound.

Batt- common term for battery

510- the connection used on the mod to connect it to the atomizer. The female side is on top of the mod with the male side on the bottom of the atomizer.

DripTip- the mouth piece on the atomizer

Chuff cap- the wide more driptop that takes the place of the driptip

Ok, im pretty sure that if you’ve gotten to this point you have a basic idea on what some of the vaping terms and acronyms. But let’s get these out of the way.

Watts- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate applied power

Volts- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate pressure applied to current to create power

Resistance- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate resistance

amperage- a unit of measurement in electronics to indicate current flow

Ohms Law
OhmsLawCartoon_zpsj6pmcyv0.png

I have written about ohms law more times than I care to say, however, I am going to try my best to simplify this as much as possible.

Think of a circuit as a hose. The water flowing through the hose is the electricity or current(amps). The pressure pushing the water is the voltage. Now pinch the hose. Pinching the hose is adding Resistance. The pressure building up is voltage and the current flow has now decreased because you applied resistance.

Now if you take that Voltage or pressure and Multiply it by the Current or Amperage you are given your power or wattage measurement.

The problem comes in when you have a 20a battery but are trying to force it to give you more current than it has to offer.

All 4 parts that make a circuit happen are happening in conjunction with each other and as an added note to the beauty of it, whatever energy is put in must be equal to the energy coming out. What this means is that all you need are two bits of information to determine the others.

Ohms law is basically the relation of those bits of information. If you multiply the resistance applied by the current you are then given your voltage or force applied.

For ease of use the forumulas are

V=IR and P=VI
when:
V= voltage
I=current (amps)
P=power (watts)
R= resistance(ohms)

807ADDFC-D624-4FCC-91A4-4B7C6F201601_zps2n0sjjej.jpg

Why does ohms law matter? Batteries!

Why do you see some of us harp on ohms law? Because batteries. A battery is a limited space to hold energy. This means that we have to work within our limits. You don’t want to overdraw on your batteries. If you do bad things can happen, such as venting a battery or causing a battery to explode.

a better ohms law explanation
Ohm's Law - The basics - Ohms Law Formulas Explained to save you time

When choosing a battery for your mod it is important to make sure that the battery can handle the current that you are pulling from the battery. Also ensure you know the limitations of your mod per the manufacturer.
Using ohms law you can easily determine the current draw. Please see the threads authored by baditude, here in the battery section; or, myself in the beginner area.
ohms law-V = I x R Or I = V/R when I=current(amps), V=voltage, R=resistance(ohms)
So, if I need the current for a battery- I am assuming the battery at mean voltage therefore it is at 3.7v. and I am firing a 0.5 ohm resistance. Those are my two constants for the same of our math.
I would use the following as my equation:
I = 3.7v/0.5ohms
in this case I am only pulling 7.4A and 27.4 w; therefore, I want s battery that is capable of providing 7.4A safely.
admittingly, as the chart shows, most batteries can handle this. problems ome into play when people fire to far low.
NOW, lets try this with a 0.2 ohm load (coil), the voltage is the same here.
I=3.7v/0.5ohms
in this case we have 18.5amps and 68.45 w. Therefore, it is easily illustrated that the field of suitable batteries, has greatly been reduced to cells that can handle a continuous current of 20A.

Last edited:

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel like I'm more confused. Let me rephrase the question one last time.

If the resistance is what it is, meaning whatever the coil allows, WHY does the coil say .4 ohms but the reading on the screen when I turn it on is as high as .8? Why is there a discrepancy between the number on the coil and the number on the screen?

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

If the resistance is what it is, meaning whatever the coil allows, WHY does the coil say .4 ohms but the reading on the screen when I turn it on is as high as .8? Why is there a discrepancy between the number on the coil and the number on the screen?
Cause that's what it is. Don't worry about it. Crank the mod down to 20w. Vape it. See if you like it. Creep up a little at a time till you do like it. No biggie. Relax a bit. Its all good.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Remember when you were aggravated about the connection being brought up?
Yeah, that could be why.

If you don't have a solid connection from board to coil.... Meaning the coil is not seated in firm, or the 510 spring being weak, or not making a good connection..
All this can be reasons the resistance is higher than it should be.
Or, it could be as simple as being a dud coil, or burnt coil.
We've all been there, and no one here is going to steer you wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Why is there a discrepancy between the number on the coil and the number on the screen?

We don't know for sure - you have been given possibilities on what can cause this.

It probably doesn't matter in this case.

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Remember when you were aggravated about the connection being brought up?
Yeah, that could be why.

If you don't have a solid connection from board to coil.... Meaning the coil is not seated in firm, or the 510 spring being weak, or not making a good connection..
All this can be reasons the resistance is higher than it should be.
Or, it could be as simple as being a dud coil, or burnt coil.
We've all been there, and no one here is going to steer you wrong.

I definitely don't think anyone here is trying to steer me in the wrong direction. But I do think that many assume a level of starting knowledge above where most beginners are. How can I tell if the connection is solid or not solid? If it's not solid, is it fixable?

Also, I'm getting a bit of a burn even at 20w. Is this normal? How could it be a burnt coil if it is brand new?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I definitely don't think anyone here is trying to steer me in the wrong direction. But I do think that many assume a level of starting knowledge above where most beginners are. How can I tell if the connection is solid or not solid? I'm getting a bit of a burn even at 20w. Is this normal?

Does this mean it tastes burned when you vape it?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I definitely don't think anyone here is trying to steer me in the wrong direction. But I do think that many assume a level of starting knowledge above where most beginners are. How can I tell if the connection is solid or not solid? If it's not solid, is it fixable?

Also, I'm getting a bit of a burn even at 20w. Is this normal? How could it be a burnt coil if it is brand new?
It could be... That's why we told you to push it with a screwdriver to try and see.
If the 510 is bad, than you can change it, if you're good at that sort of thing, check your warranty or it could mean that the mod is ready for the great beyond.

That said, a bad 510 from sigelei is rare.

Why is this burning at a lower power than another topper?
Because it's a different topper.
It will wick different and could be a thicker wire.
One thing with vaping to keep in mind: no two people and no two toppers will vape the same. You just have to dial in the settings you prefer for each.
If I have the same build in two different attys, both attys will still vape differently.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm pretty sure the 90 Plus uses the old Sig chipset. In power mode it will read the resistance on its own. If you are in Joules mode then you will need to manually lock the resistance by pressing the +/- button together. What mode are you in Joules or Power?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It could be... That's why we told you to push it with a screwdriver to try and see.
If the 510 is bad, than you can change it, if you're good at that sort of thing, check your warranty or it could mean that the mod is ready for the great beyond.

That said, a bad 510 from sigelei is rare.

Why is this burning at a lower power than another topper?
Because it's a different topper.
It will wick different and could be a thicker wire.
One thing with vaping to keep in mind: no two people and no two toppers will vape the same. You just have to dial in the settings you prefer for each.
If I have the same build in two different attys, both attys will still vape differently.

I'm sorry, but I (going back to my "vagueness" complaint), am unfamiliar with "attys" and "toppers". And when you say "Push it with a screwdriver to try and see", that doesn't give me any indication on how to tell if it is a solid connection or not. Very vague, but I greatly appreciate all this help. But it basically reads like: "Check it to see if it's good or not." "Ok, how can I tell?" "By checking to see if it's good or not".

I am perfectly aware that I am a total moron. But this is exactly why the vague instructions are frustrating! lol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sorry, but I (going back to my "vagueness" complaint), am unfamiliar with "attys" and "toppers". And when you say "Push it with a screwdriver to try and see", that doesn't give me any indication on how to tell if it is a solid connection or not. Very vague, but I greatly appreciate all this help. But it basically reads like: "Check it to see if it's good or not." "Ok, how can I tell?" "By checking to see if it's good or not".

I am perfectly aware that I am a total moron. But this is exactly why the vague instructions are frustrating! lol
Take the battery out of the mod
Push down on the 510 with a small flat head to see if the pin pushes in and comes up.
If it does not nudge the side of the pin to see if it's jammed.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMG_20170403_230739.jpg
That dark silver circle(where your tank/atty/topper) screws in is called the "510" or "510 connector". That little silver dot in the middle of the 510 is the "510 pin". That's what we are thinking may be stuck.

So remove the battery, and push down on the pin to see if it moves up and down. If it doesn't, try to move it side to side and see if it pops up a tad. If it isn't moving, that would cause a poor connection to your tank, and give you the wonky ohm reading.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

What that idiot said about "burning up your cotton' is total bullshit. Higher resistance provides LESS heat, not more -- the higher ohms are RESISTING the current, get it? So there's less heat, not more! I vape around 2 ohms ALWAYS, because I don't want heat! I don't want a lot of vapor at all!

I totally understand and respect your frustration, I used to cuss out one forum or another regularly when I first started, and I bet a lot of folks round here either did that, or felt like it. There's a LOT to learn, and you're right, sometimes intelligible answers can be hard to find!

Hang in there! And keep vaping! Marlboros don't do anything but kill cowboys... and anybody else silly enough to light 'em up ;)

Andria

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I can see where the vape shop owner may be coming from, but has not explained it very well at all.

With a 0.4 Ohm coil, at say 40W, that should be sending 4V to the coil to provide those 40W. If however the mod is reading the coil incorrectly, and it is indeed 0.4, but reading as 0.8, at 40W it would be sending 5.56V to the coil, which would actually be providing nearly 80 Watts!

In this case though, if everything is seated correctly, and the connection is OK, just use a lower wattage than recommended so you don't end up burning the cotton.

As has been explained, you will be safe as it is a regulated mod, and your battery will most definitely not explode as resistance plays no factor in regards to amp load on your battery in a regulated mod (You do not want to exceed a batteries amp rating). Wattage is the deciding factor with a regulated mod, and with the inbuilt protections of your mod even if you did go over what the battery can provide, you will very likely get a low battery warning due to the amount of Sag.

In simple terms, don't worry if the reading is off, just reduce your wattage to avoid burning anything and enjoy vaping :)

Nychevy

Member For 4 Years
In need of serious help before I say f*** all of this and go back to cigarettes.

I have the Sigelei 90w plus mod with a single 26550 / 4200mAh / 40A / 3.7V battery. It came with an Ares tank, which I liked for it's simplicity. But as they don't make it anymore, I did some research and ordered an Aspire Cleito tank. It comes with a .4ohm coil installed, and an extra .2ohm coil. When I primed the coil and put it on my mod, the resistance went wayyy up to around .6 (after staying between .2-.3 oh the Ares tank). I was told by my local vape shop owner that this was too high and that it could be a bad coil initially, a vague answer that doesn't help me one bit. He said to try the .2ohm coil and see what happens. I then also got a resistance of around .6, but as high as .72. If my coils are .2ohm and .4 ohm, aren't I at risk of damage to the battery no matter what I do?

In my research, not ONE of the forums or videos of the many I watched/read mentioned ANYTHING about resistance being something to watch out for. In fact, most of the literature involving resistance is unbelievably vague. I'm becoming very frustrated. I'm not sure if I'm just a f***ing moron or if the vape world assumes people know what they're talking about. I've been trying to learn about resistance/wattage/volts for DAYS now and am further from understanding it than before I ever started vaping. Any literature on resistance COMPLETELY ignores wattage & volts, and any literature on wattage and volts COMPLETELY ignores resistance - or at least in any verbiage a normal human being would understand. The local shop owner also said (over the phone) that the Cleito might not be compatible with my mod, which raises another question: if this is possible, why do NONE of the 20+ minute reviews on the Cleito make ANY mentions of potential compatibility issues?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hey there bogme, reading all the responses here are all very good advice, your right it does get frustrating when things don't work right and you get different answers. Also when they ask you to check your connections, check where the coil screws into the base of the tank and where the tank screws into the mod, many times juice gets in between those connections and causes a different reading. Also when you get a burnt taste from a coil its usually done, the burnt taste will not go away, you must replace the coil with a new one. Start all over, get a can of air, dry off all connections tighten everything up, prime your coil good and start out low watts and work your way up just like others said. Good luck man, just so you know I went though 5 different tanks before I found one I liked and worked for me. In this hobby not everything works equally! And it does get expensive if you don't find the right stuff for you, but once you do you will be very satisfied.

bogme

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok Thanks to everybody here for all the advice! The pin moves freely, with a very responsive push-back. I've now tried 3 different coils, .2ohms recommended at 55w-75w, .4ohms recommended at 40w-60w, and .4ohms recommended at 55w-75w. At the recommended wattages for all 3, The voltage jumps to between 5v-6v, and for all 3, I still get a resistance reading of between .5ohms - .65ohms. I've been vaping mostly now between 25-35 watts and gotten lower voltage, and generally good results. Should I just keep going with that and disregard the "off" numbers? Thanks again!

Nychevy

Member For 4 Years
Ok Thanks to everybody here for all the advice! The pin moves freely, with a very responsive push-back. I've now tried 3 different coils, .2ohms recommended at 55w-75w, .4ohms recommended at 40w-60w, and .4ohms recommended at 55w-75w. At the recommended wattages for all 3, The voltage jumps to between 5v-6v, and for all 3, I still get a resistance reading of between .5ohms - .65ohms. I've been vaping mostly now between 25-35 watts and gotten lower voltage, and generally good results. Should I just keep going with that and disregard the "off" numbers? Thanks again!
The voltage always adjusts automatically with your mod and the ohms will always read a bit different even if it says .5 Its very common to be up or down a little bit. The ohms are reading the coil wire, so the the length of the wire and how it's wraped are not all exact on all coils hence the different readings. With your mod your good to go, enjoy!!!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes

VU Sponsors