Become a Patron!

Vapers Sue Five Pawns for $5 Million

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You may have no respect for Dr. F or his research, but I'm pretty sure the experts at NIOSH who have raised concerns over DA/AP know a bit more about the dangers than those on forums or e-liquid manufacturers who use said ingredients. By all means, continue to vape it...
Yes, testing and full disclosure of a substance which may be deadly would make vaping safer for all...

NIOSH recommendations are for occupational limits. NIOSH has done zero studies on vaping.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I plan on living and vaping for another 20 years or so, and as a result keep my eye on various flavorings and their risks over the long term. Maybe I've started to take better care of myself now that I've gotten off the smokes. That's my choice but I don't think I have a right to dictate anybody else's choice.

In any case, that's not what this lawsuit is about. It's about Five Pawns making false claims about ingredients after their own testing showed them the truth. I don't like being lied to and their dishonesty is what put them in this spot.

I don't believe the lawsuit will be successful. That aside, I don't believe any juice should claim to be diketone free and I think you'll see that claim go away in the future.

Hottvapz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah. Some of us quit smoking to live healthier, not carry on willy nilly...
Yes that is why I started vaping. There is nothing definitive either way. Yes I don't want to be lied to if there are "known" chemicals that cause a risk to me. But I'm also going to enjoy my new healthier life. And I was actually trying to have a rational conversation with you Steve. Why add an antagonistic statement.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most vapers aren't on vaping forums, so would have no idea about the controversy. Vaping should be safe for all, not just for hobbyists on forums...
Not all of them HAVE to be.

As long as a sufficiently sized subset of vapers are concerned enough with their health to pay attention and do things like this, the rest of the vapers that don't give a rats ass will be protected by the self regulation.

It kinda works exactly like welfare, doesn't it?

It really amuses me watching the big government supporters go nuts when the solution to a problem comes from the people. We found the cure for smoking, and unfortunately, none of the political class or their crony friends have been able to make a nickle off of it... Haha...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not all of them HAVE to be.

As long as a sufficiently sized subset of vapers are concerned enough with their health to pay attention and do things like this, the rest of the vapers that don't give a rats ass will be protected by the self regulation.

It kinda works exactly like welfare, doesn't it?

It really amuses me watching the big government supporters go nuts when the solution to a problem comes from the people. We found the cure for smoking, and unfortunately, none of the political class or their crony friends have been able to make a nickle off of it... Haha...
Vaping shouldn't have to be a hobby or social subset to be safer. Vaping should be mainstream, not relegated to being a fringe method of smoking cessation. I have been asking vapers at work if they knew about custards and diacetyl and none have heard about it. One lady loves a custard flavor she buys from a local chain vape shop and she said it should be safe if it is sold at a store...
Who supports big government? I support limited regulation, as I do for any product I buy, because there are shady people who own businesses, like 5 Pawns...
Given the recent outbreak of e-coli, I'm grateful for the FDA and CDC for issuing the warnings and tracing the sources of the outbreak...

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vaping shouldn't have to be a hobby or social subset to be safer. Vaping should be mainstream, not relegated to being a fringe method of smoking cessation. I have been asking vapers at work if they knew about custards and diacetyl and none have heard about it. One lady loves a custard flavor she buys from a local chain vape shop and she said it should be safe if it is sold at a store...
Who supports big government? I support limited regulation, as I do for any product I buy, because there are shady people who own businesses, like 5 Pawns...
Given the recent outbreak of e-coli, I'm grateful for the FDA and CDC for issuing the warnings and tracing the sources of the outbreak...
You've done a good job of clarifying your opinion here. I agree very much with how you've stated in this comment.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That last part was a bit of a tangent. I didn't intend to imply that you were pro big government.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
see steve, i knew you had it in you to state your differing opinion without being rude or condescending, and make a very fine statement

i agree to a point with you, but once a huge entity like the FDA has a say so in something, it hurts the industry in other ways. The FDA is unelected and can often get things turned into law without any of us knowing until its too late.

SO while I think it would be nice to have some impartial entity setting standards to protect the public without having to do tons of research, i personally do not trust the FDA or the US Federal government to set regulations that are strictly for safety reasons. I think it is a general distrust in the US Federal Government that fuels the fire behind self regulation for the industry While on the other side it is a general distrust in "business" to do whats best for saftey reasons that fuels some of the fire behind people who want to have some sort of federal regulations imposed on the industry

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad there are laws in place that allow people to challenge vendors who misrepresent their products. If the courts find Five Pawns knowingly lied, they deserve the consequences. There are plenty of honest liquid vendors who deserve a level playing field.

Link in the OP is bad.

Other than that, if they were advertising low/no specific chemicals and a trustable 3rd party test lab showed the numbers were actually high or super-high, then yeah, they deserve a legal attack.

But, is it actually worth the money they're looking for? Where does that money go? Lawyers? I'm a huge fan of Five Pawns along with their Taken Three line and get quite a bit for myself. Do I get a portion of that money? I'm no fan of 'legal action' for the sake of a payday.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Link in the OP is bad.

Other than that, if they were advertising low/no specific chemicals and a trustable 3rd party test lab showed the numbers were actually high or super-high, then yeah, they deserve a legal attack.

But, is it actually worth the money they're looking for? Where does that money go? Lawyers? I'm a huge fan of Five Pawns along with their Taken Three line and get quite a bit for myself. Do I get a portion of that money? I'm no fan of 'legal action' for the sake of a payday.
Same here...I like their juice.....without knowing EXACTLY what happened when by who, its all speculation.

VU Sponsors