Become a Patron!

Vaping and working out

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't do any weightlifting. However, I will say that I am a whole lot more active since vaping than I was when smoking. Cleaner lungs make a big difference. Plus, it takes just seconds to puff versus 5 to 7 minutes to smoke a coffin nail. That gives more time to get stuff done.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not nearly as much as cigarettes, anytime you draw in anything but clean air it effects your health. Vaping isn't any worse for you than a walk in most any town.

I have done no research, but I also train 6 days a week (3 on, 2 off), and have been for many years, at the Gold's here in Mesa. In my experience so far, there is no noticeable effect in regards to weight-lifting pro or con, with the exception of appetite.

For those who are eating in a surplus for weight gain, the nicotine can have a slight effect on damping down their appetite, but I honestly don't believe the effect is enough to be an issue.

I'm also a member of the forums on bodybuilding and vaping has been discussed before....but no real adverse effects have been brought up.

On a lighter note, think of the strange looks you would get if you started vaping in between sets....lol.
Kind of randomly came up to my mind that do you stop vaping an x amount of hours before working out? My friend told me about this a while ago that he does this about 3 hours before going to the gym.

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
When I stopped smoking and started vaping, I was able to go back to cycling again. 40+ miles on a bike and so far my VO2 max is pretty darned solid. That's just me, but I've had such great recovery since moving to vaping that my life... is so much more active. I don't vape *during* rides, but before and after with no issue.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really hate this kind of question.

The effect on your workout of vaping as a new habit with no previous smoking?

Or the effect on your workout of vaping after having quit smoking by vaping?

And what are you vaping? Are you using trashy disposables with 50 mg/ml nicotine?

I sometimes think I smell troll droppings, but maybe its just general air pollution.

Vape4change

Unlisted Vendor
Vaping has no significant negative impact on workout effectiveness, including weight lifting. In fact, it may boost performance by increasing focus and decreasing stress. However, overall lung health should still be prioritised.

Ill necro post just to comment on this. when they are testing vaping effects, i believe they use the same scale as the epa does for air pollutants. so far they have not found vaping to be any more harmful than the air you breath, especially in areas where u r constantly receiving air quality warnings.

Now two caveats. technically, if u r using a vape in a polluted air environement, technically u r getting a double dose of pullutants, polutted air plus the vape pollutant (for lack of a better term. Unless somehow the coil burns off the air pollutants).

This bring up an interesting question. what is the air quality in the lab? rutgers is in jersey, near new york, if they are using semi polluted air to run thru a vape, of course the result is vape mixed with the polluted air.

So far johns hopkins has yet to find any higher level of epa rated air quality problems with vapes over their own standards about what is safe to breath.

None of anything is about health, and anti vaping studies are a great way to get grant money from anti-vape organizations, which is how most of these scientists get paid. its all about money.

VU Sponsors