Become a Patron!

Vaping etiquette - yes we are talking about this again!

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Would love to read it, not interested in an account with world press. Email is busy enough!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have gotten to a point in my vaping journey where I send a cloud in the direction of a smoker. Yeah I know I am bad........... Smelling that crap from down the street so I am returning the favor.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As far as around other people I vape like I smoked.
With consideration for others.
In a smoking zone, away from doors to stores, etc...

Yes I also am considerate of others especially non-smokers but there are times when a smoker needs to get fogged out with a cloud because they did not care where that cloud of carcinogens went and I walked right threw it. Like I said I am bad! LMFAO :blah:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With so many new regulations and bans, vaping etiquette is at the forefront again.

So, I wrote a little post on it https://bigvapers.wordpress.com/2017/11/09/vape-etiquette-it-comes-down-to-basic-manners/ curious on your thoughts?

I'm in Ontario and it's pretty good here. In public I've always generally vaped where people are allowed to smoke, so I'm with you on that. What has happened in Quebec is a real shame. I hope it turns around for you guys sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath :(

One thing I do when I want to stealth vape somewhere is take a small setup running at 14 or 15 watts. With my typical 100% PG juice it's really easy to fly under the radar and with a bit higher nic than I generally use it can be a very nice vape. Of course if you're used to high watt setups, it might not hit the spot as it does for me.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Garlic is exempt in my world. Garlic is sacred.

Same here. There can not possibly be too much garlic, too often
yes3.gif

Valbunny

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I was smoking, I would literally never smoke within 100 feet of anyone ever. Would never smoke in a park, even if no one was there, typically did not smoke on sidewalks I would hide somewhere aha, did not smoke in my home, or in my car if I had a passenger, (if they smoked it was okay.) I typically follow the same rules when vaping. Though less, I typically do not leave my house with my mod, as it is 0mg I can wait until I come back home to vape. I personally considered myself a very considerate smoker, and would go out of my way to accommodate non smokers. Though when I was younger, first started smoking, I went to Wyoming, who at the time still allowed smoking in restaurants, so I did that. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was a smoker I thought of it as an infringement of my rights but now as a former smoker I think differently. But a smoker who acts like my vape is Acid Fumes gets fogged out! Amazing how some smokers are so afraid of a vape cloud but have no problems inhaling those carcinogens.

Valbunny

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I was a smoker I thought of it as an infringement of my rights but now as a former smoker I think differently. But a smoker who acts like my vape is Acid Fumes gets fogged out! Amazing how some smokers are so afraid of a vape cloud but have no problems inhaling those carcinogens.

Aha reminds me of my father. He smokes around five packs of cigarettes a day, I blow a giant vape cloud in the kitchen and he acts as though it's the end of the world. He always says "wow you have to do that inside, it's making my lungs hurt." I'm just like, really.... But eh, even when I walk through a cigarette cloud, it is disrespectful and annoying, but I just deal and try to avoid, I don't make snaky comments or rude glances/gestures, everyone deserves to be happy.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Aha reminds me of my father. He smokes around five packs of cigarettes a day, I blow a giant vape cloud in the kitchen and he acts as though it's the end of the world.

I had a friends BF get bent just today because I blew a cloud at the dog who was going after my vape! The dog sat there so happy sniffing the cloud of Butterscotch Graham Tobacco I blew out in front of her but runs from his cigarette smoke. She told me fuck him and his BS! Her house not his.....

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'm in Ontario and it's pretty good here. In public I've always generally vaped where people are allowed to smoke, so I'm with you on that. What has happened in Quebec is a real shame. I hope it turns around for you guys sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath :(

One thing I do when I want to stealth vape somewhere is take a small setup running at 14 or 15 watts. With my typical 100% PG juice it's really easy to fly under the radar and with a bit higher nic than I generally use it can be a very nice vape. Of course if you're used to high watt setups, it might not hit the spot as it does for me.

It is a shame and it doesn’t look like it will get any better, only more difficult. But, it will take a while for the full force of the law to kick in. That gives us time to prepare. I sense a big black market on the rise.

As for low watt devices, yeah best option for sure ... but I’m mostly a dripper ... so like you said ... it really doesn’t hit the spot and I end up chain vaping like crazy when I get home to ease my cravings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Yes I also am considerate of others especially non-smokers but there are times when a smoker needs to get fogged out with a cloud because they did not care where that cloud of carcinogens went and I walked right threw it. Like I said I am bad! LMFAO :blah:

We’ve all been there ...

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is a shame and it doesn’t look like it will get any better, only more difficult. But, it will take a while for the full force of the law to kick in. That gives us time to prepare. I sense a big black market on the rise.

As for low watt devices, yeah best option for sure ... but I’m mostly a dripper ... so like you said ... it really doesn’t hit the spot and I end up chain vaping like crazy when I get home to ease my cravings.

It's not about dripping or not dripping -- it's all about the airflow. I've used nothing but an RDA for over 2 yrs -- but it's an Achilles: SUPER tight airflow, so I vape it at 9.5w. No, it doesn't make big clouds, because guess what, creating weather is not why I vape: I vape in order not to smoke... which also didn't make big clouds, just stinky ones. Now I make small strawberry scented ones which dissipate very rapidly.

Frankly I find it impossible to imagine someplace that makes laws about what you do outdoors, like smoking or vaping -- here in GA, it's still a "free country;" businesses often forbid things being done inside them, such as smoking or vaping or eating or drinking; smoking, eating, or drinking is difficult if not impossible to hide; vaping can be done quite stealthily, and if I feel a need, I often do go into the lady's room, into a stall, and vape -- blowing my thin exhalations down my shirt -- I really don't mind smelling like strawberries.

My experience is that some people can find something to be offended about in nearly ANYTHING... if they know about it. If they don't know about it, it's pretty hard for them to be offended. Their ignorance and control-freak tendencies influence my behavior only to the extent of not offering the small-minded a reason to be offended -- something they don't even know about cannot possibly be a reason.

Andria

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man just reading that makes me choke! I never use less that 70% VG and that is allowing for other additives! Damn more power to you but the TH would kill me and make me not want to vape.....

The effect PG has on TH is overrated IMO. I typically vape a bit less than 1 mg/ml nic at around 23 watts. I'm hunting for all the TH I can get from that because I like some bite, but it's still a reasonably smooth vape. As much as people think high PG makes your vape really harsh, I wish it was more so. In my experience nic levels and properties, and coil design and placement have the biggest effect on TH. It also depends on what you're used to, we are a really adaptable species. Your hardware setup, power, heat flux and choice of nic are all factors in this too. All you can really do is experiment with all the variables and see for yourself.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Prepping is a really good idea and if you ever need anything you can't get easily PM me. As long as I can get it I can send it to you.

If it's clouds you're mainly after, watts pretty much rule. If you just want to stay away from smoking that's sometimes not as important after experimenting a bit. IMO keeping an open mind is a good thing. Best of luck with it my friend
yes3.gif

ETA: Fixed the broken quote.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
one of my hobbies is growing heirloom garlic..last year I grew 100 bulbs from 5 different varities...Two from Spain one from Poland one from France and one from the Republic of Georgia.
Could that be done on a small scale indoors? I've not tried growing garlic indoors. Have had good luck with bulb flowers.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Where I live (Belgium), since 17th January 2017 vaping is considered smoking. I see a lot of vapers went back to smoking cigarettes, and, if I go outside to vape because vaping indoors is illegal, then I basically have to kick a few smokers in the shin to make them move out of my way every time because their cigarette smoke stinks to high heavens, flakes of ash fly into my RDA, and in many cases the word etiquette is pretty much absent from their dictionary. The same thing is true about non smokers, though, as I've lost count of how many times my expensive vaping aromas got wrecked by an overdose of cheap atrocious deodorant/perfume or concentrated poisonous smoke from a car or stroke moped exhaust that stinks to something even much higher than the highest of heavens. So etiquette is an illusion. Morality is an illusion. I don't blow my vapor into another person's face unasked. (Even, if it smells like strawberry and Royal College of Physicians wrote in their report that second hand vapor is quite harmless.) In fact I didn't vape in indoor places where smoking isn't allowed, even BEFORE this new law came into effect. But some crazy politicians have got to stop demonizing vaping and have got to start banning those super-concentrated atrocious chemical perfumes that linger for two days if you keep the window open because I'm allergic to some of that stinky crap all the stench of which also gives me headaches and it stinks so bad you couldn't even smell an incoming nerve gas attack because of it.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The effect PG has on TH is overrated IMO. I typically vape a bit less than 1 mg/ml nic at around 23 watts. I'm hunting for all the TH I can get from that because I like some bite, but it's still a reasonably smooth vape. As much as people think high PG makes your vape really harsh, I wish it was more so. In my experience nic levels and properties, and coil design and placement have the biggest effect on TH. It also depends on what you're used to, we are a really adaptable species. Your hardware setup, power, heat flux and choice of nic are all factors in this too. All you can really do is experiment with all the variables and see for yourself.

I agree, i've always used very high PG, and really don't find it "harsh" at all; and since I've also been on the quest for good TH, I had to start adding Flash, almost from the get-go. But I think I'm finally getting over my need for it; lately I've been cutting down the Flash DRASTICALLY because it makes my nose feel like I just snorted pepper! And since it's made with piperine, the active *zing* in black pepper, that's a fairly apt analogy.

Andria

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It's not about dripping or not dripping -- it's all about the airflow. I've used nothing but an RDA for over 2 yrs -- but it's an Achilles: SUPER tight airflow, so I vape it at 9.5w. No, it doesn't make big clouds, because guess what, creating weather is not why I vape: I vape in order not to smoke... which also didn't make big clouds, just stinky ones. Now I make small strawberry scented ones which dissipate very rapidly.

Frankly I find it impossible to imagine someplace that makes laws about what you do outdoors, like smoking or vaping -- here in GA, it's still a "free country;" businesses often forbid things being done inside them, such as smoking or vaping or eating or drinking; smoking, eating, or drinking is difficult if not impossible to hide; vaping can be done quite stealthily, and if I feel a need, I often do go into the lady's room, into a stall, and vape -- blowing my thin exhalations down my shirt -- I really don't mind smelling like strawberries.

My experience is that some people can find something to be offended about in nearly ANYTHING... if they know about it. If they don't know about it, it's pretty hard for them to be offended. Their ignorance and control-freak tendencies influence my behavior only to the extent of not offering the small-minded a reason to be offended -- something they don't even know about cannot possibly be a reason.

Andria

True, bit some vapers like big clouds, and that is ok as long as you are not impacting others in a negative way. Yes airflow is part of it, but honestly a very small part. I drip, and the rda's I use right now, all of them produce big cloud regardless of the airflow, wattage or juice.

Yeah, it's crazy to think that a city can restrict you from vaping or smoking on streets, but some do. As we say in Quebec, C'est la vie! Right or wrong it happens and you gotta be vigilant of it,

Not all vapes or vapers are created equally, so we need to find a common ground that allows everyone to enjoy and benefit from their style of vape. Stealth is great, if you're into it. Some just don't like to stealth, I know I don't. So I find ways, and places to vape my style without impacting others.

digibomb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Where I live (Belgium), since 17th January 2017 vaping is considered smoking. I see a lot of vapers went back to smoking cigarettes, and, if I go outside to vape because vaping indoors is illegal, then I basically have to kick a few smokers in the shin to make them move out of my way every time because their cigarette smoke stinks to high heavens, flakes of ash fly into my RDA, and in many cases the word etiquette is pretty much absent from their dictionary. The same thing is true about non smokers, though, as I've lost count of how many times my expensive vaping aromas got wrecked by an overdose of cheap atrocious deodorant/perfume or concentrated poisonous smoke from a car or stroke moped exhaust that stinks to something even much higher than the highest of heavens. So etiquette is an illusion. Morality is an illusion. I don't blow my vapor into another person's face unasked. (Even, if it smells like strawberry and Royal College of Physicians wrote in their report that second hand vapor is quite harmless.) In fact I didn't vape in indoor places where smoking isn't allowed, even BEFORE this new law came into effect. But some crazy politicians have got to stop demonizing vaping and have got to start banning those super-concentrated atrocious chemical perfumes that linger for two days if you keep the window open because I'm allergic to some of that stinky crap all the stench of which also gives me headaches and it stinks so bad you couldn't even smell an incoming nerve gas attack because of it.

This is an unfortunate reality here too. Many vapers have falling back to cigs. I did for a while, not proud. It happens. When you live in a culture where smoking is considered almost acceptable, like here in Quebec, and vaping is considered bizarre, it makes it very difficult to stay the course. The surreal reality we are facing here is that more people smoke than vape and vaping is considered the evil ... very strange indeed ...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is an unfortunate reality here too. Many vapers have falling back to cigs. I did for a while, not proud. It happens. When you live in a culture where smoking is considered almost acceptable, like here in Quebec, and vaping is considered bizarre, it makes it very difficult to stay the course. The surreal reality we are facing here is that more people smoke than vape and vaping is considered the evil ... very strange indeed ...

More people smoke here too, in the deep south, but folks are pretty much getting used to seeing people vape; it might draw a "oh is that one o'them e-cigarette thangs?" but all I usually hear about it is that "they say it's worse than smoking", which I ALWAYS correct in the most definite terms, and point out the $$$ motive, which everyone grasps immediately, it's the gov't after all. :D

Andria

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not being allowed to vape in public indoor places, work places, restaurants, pubs etc. is completely understandable. But in a vape shop? That is like saying you aren't allowed to try before you buy because, let's face it... which shop owner is going to go outside with a customer to let him/her try out an atomizer? Today the bus driver jokingly asked me if I "put drugs in that thing". I told him no, "it's just blueberries with guava and another something like that", and I showed him my bottle of juice. He then looked at it and said, "No, that's not drugs." I was wearing my Twelve Monkeys Harambae T-shirt. lol

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do DIY and I have experimented. I use 20-30% max PG because I do not like what I call an Anemic Cloud and the TH. Subjective you know!

It certainly is subjective and whatever works for each of us is right for us. I preferred big vapor for years, but the last couple of years my preference has gone the opposite way. I've also become a bit more health conscious and now prefer to use less juice.

I found once I got away from the big cloud preference I was able to concentrate more on flavor and TH and can be very satisfied with a well set up 14 watt vape with minimal cloud all the way up to a well set up 50-60 watt vape. Works for me but as always YMMV :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I vape between lower than 10W and over 100W depending on my mood or whatever. I find the bigger the cloud I make the more flavor I get but like you stated so well........ YMMV

Last edited:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm in Ontario and it's pretty good here.

Crap ... I shouldn't have said that :wait::gaah:

Just found out the Ontario government wants to include the following with bill 174 which is about the legalization of pot:

"Under schedule 3 of Bill 174 - Pot, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2017, vape shops will be prohibited from displaying vape devices, components or juices, allowing their customers to handle vape products, or test flavours before purchase.

Schedule 3 of this bill also introduces a mechanism for the government to prohibit the sale of certain flavors of vape products through regulation."

This type of legislation was on the books for a while a couple of years ago but we got it quashed. Looks like I'm back to writing to a bunch of politicians again. Some things just never change.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just found out the Ontario government wants to include the following with bill 174 which is about the legalization of pot:

"Under schedule 3 of Bill 174 - Pot, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2017, vape shops will be prohibited from displaying vape devices, components or juices, allowing their customers to handle vape products, or test flavours before purchase.

Schedule 3 of this bill also introduces a mechanism for the government to prohibit the sale of certain flavors of vape products through regulation."

This type of legislation was on the books for a while a couple of years ago but we got it quashed. Looks like I'm back to writing to a bunch of politicians again. Some things just never change.
We are ruled by idiots and lunatics voted into office by fools.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Yeah we're pretty much screwed, if you're on facebook you may want to join this advocacy group to keep up to date with what's going on..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1186232508057838/

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks. We also have Randy Hillier, a Ontario MPP who has a mailing list keeping us up to date on what needs attention. He's a vaper himself and a good guy to have on our side.
Yeah He's active in that Facebook group, he's a great guy I've been following his politics for a while now and he's always trying to do the right thing.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of etiquette, I have a story about a smoker that's still bothering me. Last weekend I had to go to a Christmas party for my gf's family. We were playing the white elephant game, all crowded around a table, elbow to elbow. I had my 2 year old daughter on my shoulders when the guy next to me lights up a cigarette. At that point my daughter and her mom went into a different room.

When my gf's dad noticed she was gone, he asked her why. She told him because people are smoking in there. Then he proceeds to talk shit about us vaping and how its no different. We've tried educating her parents about vaping, but they seem to not want to learn.

When I got home that night, I immediately put my clothes in the wash and jumped in the shower. I couldn't take the smell.

Rant over. thanks for listening.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of etiquette, I have a story about a smoker that's still bothering me. Last weekend I had to go to a Christmas party for my gf's family. We were playing the white elephant game, all crowded around a table, elbow to elbow. I had my 2 year old daughter on my shoulders when the guy next to me lights up a cigarette. At that point my daughter and her mom went into a different room.

When my gf's dad noticed she was gone, he asked her why. She told him because people are smoking in there. Then he proceeds to talk shit about us vaping and how its no different. We've tried educating her parents about vaping, but they seem to not want to learn.

When I got home that night, I immediately put my clothes in the wash and jumped in the shower. I couldn't take the smell.

Rant over. thanks for listening.

The after-smell is MUCH worse than when the shit is actually burning.

Andria

VU Sponsors