Become a Patron!

Velocity RDA "atomizer short"

Alright, I've been in the vape game for about 8 months now. I just upgraded from my IPV4S with an Atty cubed, to a velocity RDA on a Reuleaux RX 200W.
The velocity is running 4 claptons at about .23 ohms resistance and 130w.

Never before have I so consistently had a problem with a build. I've tried everything. Adjusting the coils, trimming them, taking them out and putting them back in, checking the 510 connector, cleaning it, making sure nothing was in the threading on either device.

No matter what, even if the problem goes away temporarily, I always get "atomizer short" or worse "no atomizer".

Please help! Is anyone else having this persistent issue? It runs beautifully when it works, but this happens too often to ignore.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only thing I can think to suggest is to try retightening the post screws after it happens. So when it works, it works properly right?

Some wires, especially Claptons of any variety, will "essentially", subtly expand and shrink (like most metals) when introduced to heat and cold. As the coil warms up, the metal will expand and keep pressure on the screws, but when it cools down and shrinks, it won't keep the same pressure on the screws any more so you have to retighten them. I've had to do this with thicker gauge builds, it does happen from time to time.

Try this and see what happens, hopefully it helps.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How charged are your batteries? Have you gone that high with them before? Whats the resistance of the build? Batteries/Super Low Resistance can also play a role..

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Another reason to look for, the screws on the posts might contact the chamber, due to the thickness of the coil's wires.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried the new atty on the IPV4 or the old atty on the RX200?

Other RDAs work fine on this mod.
The resistance is .23 ohms when it shorts but .13 ohms when it works.
I have run higher than this before, and the batteries are usually at 100%

I checked the post screws and they seem to stay fairly snug. They also don't seem to be rubbing against the top.

Last night I readjusted the 510 connector and noticed that there was a small chip on the copper connector. I removed it. Today I had no issues. We will see if the problem remains fixed.

Update:
It happened again today, only the problem had worsened so that I would only get "no RDA" and I got annoyed so I went inside and took the coils out. turns out the insulation on on of the posts was cracked, and upon further examination, the post itself is all lose and not quite attached. Seems I was sold a broken RDA. Going back to the vendor this weekend to have it replaced hopefully

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Update:
It happened again today, only the problem had worsened so that I would only get "no RDA" and I got annoyed so I went inside and took the coils out. turns out the insulation on on of the posts was cracked, and upon further examination, the post itself is all lose and not quite attached. Seems I was sold a broken RDA. Going back to the vendor this weekend to have it replaced hopefully
I hope it gets replaced, thats pretty shitty but hopefully you get a new one and the issue gets resolved.

kerrybishop

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Re tightening the post screws after it happens. Hopefully your problem will be solved.

VU Sponsors