Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Blackened Flounder Topped with Mango Salsa and AngelHair Alfredo -can use any fish really.

What you do for a quick meal? We do all sorts of things here when we are time pressed to make a fast meal. One of the things I like doing is blackened fish. I know several people that hear of a fish like that and think it’s time consuming. I assure it’s not. It took longer to make the blackened seasoning than it did cook the fish. For a side I normally make a potato or vegetable fish; but, this time I had some Alfredo from a day or so ago left over and went ahead and cooked up some angel hair pasta.

So in under ten minutes, I made blackened flounder topped with a mango salsa and angel hair Alfredo.

The Alfredo recipe is simple;
4 toes garlic
3 tablespoons of good butter
10 oz of heavy cream
4 oz of fresh grated parmigiana

Melt the butter, add the garlic and let it sit until fragrant, add the cream and whisk until it starts to thicken, add the cheese and keep whisking until you get the consistency you want.

So simple, that sauce can be made in 4 minutes.

The mango salsa was store bought in the vegetable section
Blackened seasoning
Paprika
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Salt
Thyme
Oregano
Cayenne pepper

Mix it all together in a seasoning bottle or jar

For the fish

Dry the fish really well. Sprinkle it with the creole seasoning of your choice then brush on some fresh melted butter. -this will set off smoke detectors so make sure you turn the vent ln

Liberally cover with blackened seasoning

Repeat on both sides.

Get your skillet smoking hot and add some butter.

Lay the fish in the skillet presentation side down first.

Let it cook until the edges start to curl. For thin fish it should be about a minute to 90 seconds. For thicker fish maybe 3-4 minutes.

Flip it and remove after the same amount of time passes.

That’s it! You just made a Cajun classic in under ten minutes!

View attachment 182077
OMG I could definitely eat that

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Simple night here…
Homemade Mac N cheese using cellentani pasta, pepper jack and white cheddar
With some “boneless Buffalo wings”

too busy looking forward to tomorrow when we go back to basics with an antipasto salad using a homemade roasted garlic vinaigrette BD2B3473-74B4-47C8-91FC-CDAD72C91FF1.jpeg28F1EAFD-0925-4250-88F1-85DA907A479F.jpeg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The other half made this the other night. Been having page loading issues.
Chunky beef stew.
20210521_181050(2).jpg

The following night Tuna Veg noodles. Yep I put hot paprika on nearly everything. :)
20210522_180434(1).jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
ANTIPASTO SALAD WITH LEG’s FAVORITE ITALIAN DRESSING
Went super simple today

6B653A29-496F-4181-9009-EDBF32D11071.jpegF0EE4B2E-22BE-4ED6-8738-4BA46BDC54D8.jpeg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Street Food Night!
Sausage and Peppers

This is another one of those things that I really haven’t eaten or cooked much before I moved up north. I prefer this with a very spicy Italian sausage; however, any sausage really works with this. Just ensure that you are using fresh deli sausage not the smoked kind by the hotdogs.
I hadn’t really thought of sausage and peppers as street food before; but, come to find out it is commonly considered as such.
Essentially to make this one pot dish, you’ll make the sausage first, then remove them from the skillet and add in the vegetable topping, make the sauce and then add the sausage back in. Altogether this should only take between 15 and 20 minutes to cook.

For the sausage and peppers I use:
1 whole onion julienne
1/2 a green bell pepper julienne
1/2 a red bell pepper julienne
2 jalapeños- julienne
3 green onions chopped
3 toes garlic
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of chicken stock
1.5 tablespoon of tomato paste

For the sausage, I always stick with the hottest Italian sausage I can find for my wife and I. For the kids I get the sweet Italian. I’m this department it’s always dined choice, so you do you.

For the bun, I try to use a steak hoagie roll so that I have plenty of space for vegetables and provolone cheese.

To cook this, you’ll simply get your skillet nice and hot, add in some oil or bacon fat; then drop in the sausage and let them cook until they are almost done.

When they are not quite done yet, remove them and add in the sausage, onion and peppers. Drop in the white wine to deglaze the pan and let it reduce while the onion and peppers cook. When the wine is reduced to almost nothing add in the garlic, tomato paste and chicken stock. Stir everything together and add the sausage back in. Turn up the heat and let the liquid reduce. By the time the liquid is reduced the sausage should be done.

Now it’s time to assemble, add the condiments of your choice, provolone cheese, sausage, peppers and enjoy!

C35E79B9-3658-4CF8-8699-3FCB227FC2A9.jpeg15C28505-D51C-483B-9806-1C5B487CFA66.jpeg

I have shamed my people by using Hellman’s instead of Blue Plate. My wife is all about the Hellman’s, we can see who won the great Mayo debate in my house.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Street Food Night!
Sausage and Peppers

This is another one of those things that I really haven’t eaten or cooked much before I moved up north. I prefer this with a very spicy Italian sausage; however, any sausage really works with this. Just ensure that you are using fresh deli sausage not the smoked kind by the hotdogs.
I hadn’t really thought of sausage and peppers as street food before; but, come to find out it is commonly considered as such.
Essentially to make this one pot dish, you’ll make the sausage first, then remove them from the skillet and add in the vegetable topping, make the sauce and then add the sausage back in. Altogether this should only take between 15 and 20 minutes to cook.

For the sausage and peppers I use:
1 whole onion julienne
1/2 a green bell pepper julienne
1/2 a red bell pepper julienne
2 jalapeños- julienne
3 green onions chopped
3 toes garlic
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of chicken stock
1.5 tablespoon of tomato paste

For the sausage, I always stick with the hottest Italian sausage I can find for my wife and I. For the kids I get the sweet Italian. I’m this department it’s always dined choice, so you do you.

For the bun, I try to use a steak hoagie roll so that I have plenty of space for vegetables and provolone cheese.

To cook this, you’ll simply get your skillet nice and hot, add in some oil or bacon fat; then drop in the sausage and let them cook until they are almost done.

When they are not quite done yet, remove them and add in the sausage, onion and peppers. Drop in the white wine to deglaze the pan and let it reduce while the onion and peppers cook. When the wine is reduced to almost nothing add in the garlic, tomato paste and chicken stock. Stir everything together and add the sausage back in. Turn up the heat and let the liquid reduce. By the time the liquid is reduced the sausage should be done.

Now it’s time to assemble, add the condiments of your choice, provolone cheese, sausage, peppers and enjoy!

View attachment 182251View attachment 182252

I have shamed my people by using Hellman’s instead of Blue Plate. My wife is all about the Hellman’s, we can see who won the great Mayo debate in my house.
Mmmm....my wife her family is from Calabria. They used to make hot hot sausages and salami. They made it all. We often went and helped. Was a big event. They'd get whole pigs cut it all up and make all the meats even homemade soap out of the fats.
That reminded me of those days seeing that. :)
Great memories. Her Dad and Grandparents are gone now though, were amazing good people. Times and the rest have changed for the worst unfortunately. Man I used to love those days and the cook ups. :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mmmm....my wife her family is from Calabria. They used to make hot hot sausages and salami. They made it all. We often went and helped. Was a big event. They'd get whole pigs cut it all up and make all the meats even homemade soap out of the fats.
That reminded me of those days seeing that. :)
Great memories. Her Dad and Grandparents are gone now though, were amazing good people. Times and the rest have changed for the worst unfortunately. Man I used to love those days and the cook ups. :)
That had to be awesome! We used to have a Cochon every year with the first hog of the season. We would make our own boudin, hogshead cheese and sausages out of part of it and roast the rest over an open fire. Reckon that’s similar to what y’all would do, in a way.
I love how good brings back so many memories.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Elote!! Mexican Streetcorn!!
This is the most amazing way to eat corn period. I’m fairly upset with myself considering I lived about an hour from the Mexican border in Arizona for 2 years after Katrina; yet, I hadn’t had street corn until I moved to Ohio.

I can’t say how good this stuff is enough. The best part is it’s super simple to make.

All you have to do is grill or boil the corn, baste it with butter, then baste it with mayonnaise and coat it in cotija cheese. After they are coated in the cheese, dust them lightly with chili powder, squirt some fresh lime juice and garnish with cilantro.

For those wondering what corona cheese is; it’s simply a hard crumble cheese similar to feta or Parmigiana. If you can’t find cotija you can use either queso fresco or feta. For the chili powder, I’ve been told ancho chili works best.

Y’all have got to give this one a try! You will thanks for it.

6229AB64-39B9-4220-8D2A-5395149AF7F8.jpeg2C40EF4C-6FF8-4F89-96C3-D323705F5E21.jpegB5C93D63-CBB7-4527-906F-00EAA6432B9C.jpeg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight was Honey Garlic Salmon with Fresh Local Corn on the Cob and a Rice Medley.

1622242830211.png

1622242852209.png

1622242876932.png

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Tony and Legs surf and turf: Strip Steak with Mushroom Risotto, Blackened Shrimp and Asparagus.
2291BEE8-6689-4EFD-803E-F17C8EF3CEA5.jpeg37D91F8E-9B3D-4340-9FB5-23121FA772CA.jpegB78AB0A7-6B88-48C3-B357-681326E3E921.jpeg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Crappy Rainy Morning so nothing better than putting on the Oven.

1622296615390.png

Blueberry Mini Muffins..................

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Even though it is raining nothing stops me from BBQ'ing~!

1622411346877.png

Boneless Beef Rib Club Steaks

1622411381035.png

Oven Baked Asparagus with EVOO, Lemon, Garlic and Assaggio Cheese. Had some leftover Rice Medley I threw in the Microwave.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Cheesesteak Sandwiches

I love when I get to play in the kitchen. I had no clue what I was going to make, so I just started digging through the pantry, fridge and freezer and managed to come up with everything I needed to try making cheesesteak sandwiches. I won’t call these Philly cheesesteak; because, I’ve never been to Philly to know what the real thing is supposed to be. However; it’s steak, cheese and a bun; which, appears to fit the definition of a cheesesteak sandwich. I would feel like I’m high-jacking the name to add “Philly” to the name. It would be like someone who has never been to New Orleans, calling a sandwich a PoBoy; when they have never had the opportunity to have a real one.

I have to say; however; these little hogie
rolls full of joy, were a home run.
To make the veggie topping I used:

Half an onion- julienne
A quarter of a green bell pepper- julienne
A quarter of a red bell pepper- julienne
1 large jalapeño- julienne
3 toes garlic
Butter
Bacon fat

For the buns I had some steak rolls that I buttered with a garlic:basil compound butter.

For the steak, I used some shredded or thinly sliced ribeye, with some garlic, pickapeppa and Worcester sauce. Cooked in a cast iron, with butter and bacon fat.
  • if you have never had pickapeppa sauce, you owe to yourself and your loved ones to try it.
Everything was seasoned well with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
First thing I did was got my pan good and hot, then added some butter, bacon fat and the vegetable other than the garlic.

Once the vegetables were soft with darkening edges I slid them to one side of the pan and added the steak. When the steak started to cook, I added the garlic and worked all of it into one mass.

Once the steak was cooked I topped it with provolone cheese and let the cheese melt.
That’s it! Done! This is an exceptionally fast meal! Once the cheese is cooked, put it on a bun or roll, and add whatever condiments you like.
Dinner served in under 20 minutes.
69FFB8EE-0797-46BF-9F3C-7FC8F7A37C9E.jpeg86DEADE5-3B43-4F2D-8D31-340C38E4BAE8.jpeg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Misses made a Chicken French Lentil, Zucchini pasta dish.
Was wonderful. Had other lentils but I loved these. Were from dry. She soaked them for 2 hours then cooked them for 20 mins before adding them to the tomato sauce which was cooked with garlic, fresh parsley, oregano, thyme and some paprika.
Bellissimo 😛
20210604_184447(1).jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Crispy Breaded and Fried Pork Chops With White Country Gravy Over Garlic Mashed Potato

This is one of those timeless classic meals. It’s relatively quick to make, packed with flavor and always a big hit with people of all ages. This is also one that we didn’t eat much of when I was growing up seafood was far to readily available. However; when I moved to southwest I began eating things like this much more often. I’ve been told that its a “southern classic.” I’m not sure what element makes it southern, though. Then again south Louisiana is, “southern,” by geographical location only. We don’t share the same food culture as the rest of the south, or anyplace else really. In any event, the pig is and will always be a magical food source, and this dish is another way to show that.

To make the gravy is simple and takes all of 5 minutes, no need for those bags of seasonings here, save your money and make something even better.

All you need is equal parts butter and flour, some milk and some salt and pepper.

Melt the butter in the sauce pan, add in the flour ( i do 3 tablespoons each)

You’re making a blonde roux here, just keep working the flour in the butter, until the flour smell goes away, this should take about 2-3 minutes. When you no longer smell the flour, drop in the milk abut half a cup at a time, raise the heat and let it start to simmer. Add milk until you get the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper.

Keep I mind that with a roux, the liquid will continue to thicken as it heats up. You will get your maximum thickness when it starts to boil, if its to thick or paste like, just add more milk.

For the pork chop: and this works for whatever cut of pork chop you us, I like using thin, center cut chops.

Season the chop with:

SPG

Cayenne

Paprika

Onion powder

Thyme

Be sure to dry the chop before seasoning and massage the seasoning in.

Or the egg wash, mix egg with the same seasoning and some milk

Or the flour:

Season with:

Thyme, cayenne, salt, pepper, onion powder

For the bread crumbs:

Mix 50/50 Italian and panko

Salt, pepper, cayenne, Italian herb mix

Set up a dredging station with the chops, flour, egg wash and bread crumb

Dredge the chops in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumb and set on the side to dry for about 5-10 minutes.

Drop the chops into 350 degree oil and let fry until they reach an internal temperature of 145-155 F =. Depending on the thickness of you chops this could take between 5 and 7 minute. Please make sure not to overcrowd your frying vessel, because you don’t want the oil temperature to drop to far.

To serve: place a scoop of the mashed potatoes in the middle of the plate with 2 chops on top and cover with the gravy. Garnish with green onion or parsley

99F7A5CB-9C1D-4E0F-A476-B253D032ABD4.jpegE7839D3E-D5AE-4554-89EC-0DE0A32F54BE.jpegFCD0AA25-365D-45C4-ABD3-34CCD3E1620E.jpeg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yesterday:
Asian Salad with Asian Inspired Pan Seared Pork Chop.

I love Asian food. I love cooking eat, the flavors that it offers, and the art that is sometimes involved in creating it. Unfortunately I live about an hour and a half away from the nearest Asian or international market. Because of that I’m forced to use a few shortcuts, and substitutions when cooking Asian food. The downside to that is that I can’t get what i really want, the upside to that is that some dishes tend to come take less time to cook or prepare. In the case of this dish, I’m using a remade Asian salad kit, only I am making my own dressing rather than using whatever was in the kit. I am also adding in great onion and purple cabbage to the kit.

For the salad:

Salad kit take away the dressing add in purple cabbage and green onion
Dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 garlic clove,minced
1 tablespoon ginger grated
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chili flakes or chili paste

For the pork chops, i used center cut chops that are about 1/2 inch thick, but this recipe goes well for chops about an inch thick as well. Simply adjust as needed. The flavors that come out of this dish are simply amazing. If you’re bored with doing the same ole thing with pork chops, give this a try. You only need about an 20 minutes to an hour to marinade the chops. Making this an ideal weeknight meal, that is also affordable.

For the marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon five spice powder1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine, mirin or chicken stock
When its time to cook, take the chops out of the fridge and let them get to room temp, pat them dry and get your skillet on the heat until it starts to smoke. Add in one or two tablespoons of vegetable oil and sear the chops on both sides. Depending on the thickness it should only take 3-5 minutes per side to sear the steaks.
When the chops are done, its time to plate. Place the salad in the center of the plate, with chop or chops on top it the salad. Garnish with either cilantro or toasted sesame seeds. This makes a beautifully presented, flavorful and affordable weeknight meal.
BC6928DC-7D62-45A0-B027-7201BC4ACA69.jpeg15386BFB-BD11-4ED0-A862-14D6F6C34D8C.jpeg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Today:
Paneed Chicken with Linguini Pomodoro and Caprese Salad.

Growing up I had the best of two great food worlds; on one side was cajun and the other Italian. One could say, I was born to be a food lover. We went from gumbo, red beans and jambalaya to pastas. Oddly; however, I don’t recall these dishes much. I remember paneed chicken and veal; not the pomodoro or Caprese.

Pomodoro and Caprese are the very definition of simple, few ingredients, fresh and bold flavors. While I remember my mom cooking marinara sauce over the course of a full day, Pomodoro can be executed well in 30-45 minutes. It really goes from great to perfect with an hour of simmering. Caprese is just matter of reducing your balsamic vinegar and slicing some cheese, basil and tomato. Most chefs would tell you to reduce your balsamic down to the consistency of a syrup, I prefer mine a little bit looser than that though. With dishes like this that have so few ingredients it’s important to remember to buy quality ingredients. The flavor will really shine through here and change the experience.

For the salad:
Slice tomato
Slice Buffalo mozzarella
Chop basil

Stack the basil and mozzarella on top of the tomato and drizzle some reduced balsamic and good olive oil on top.

For the chicken:
Marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours in a mixture of olive oil, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and season with spg and red chili flake. Whisk the liquid together to make a simple vinaigrette. Butterfly and pound out the chicken flat then put the chicken in a ziplock bag with the marinade.

Onto the sauce:
For the sauce you’ll need:
Half an onion- diced
3-4 toes of garlic minced
2 tablespoons of basil
Plenty of good olive oil
28 oz can of San Marzano diced tomatoes
SPG
Red chili flake
Grated or shredded parm cheese
Option:
Balsamic vinegar

Cook the onion down in some good olive oil until soft and clear, sweat them down don’t let them caramelize. When they are cooked down add the garlic and cook until fragrant. When the garlic becomes fragrant add in the basil, tomato, spg, chili flake and cook down into a simmer. Let simmer 30 minutes and then taste and reseason as needed. Tip: at this point I add in a little balsamic vinegar.
Let simmer another 30 minutes and season as needed until you have the flavor you like.

Cook some linguini and fold the linguini in with the sauce and some parmigiana cheese.

Take the chicken, pat it dry and put it in am egg wash then some Italian bread crumbs and pan fry it in olive oil.
Let it rest for 5 minuted until some and then slice it.

Serve with the pasta first then garnish with basil leaves and parmigiana and place the chicken sliced on top or around the perimeter of the pasta.

This dish is simple to make, with very few ingredients; but it packs a huge flavor punch!
DB1A3F31-5AD4-494C-81BF-6EECB765BAA7.jpeg
DC6FDB4E-8215-4B32-A61C-A0B65AFDEE78.jpeg4E92062D-45F5-4A5F-A289-40199FFDBF00.jpeg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Chilly winter here now. Gale force winds, rain and wanted comfort food for tea, your dinner. Was shopping and saw some nice chunky beef pies, nearly got them but decided to make my own so got some lovely blade steak, mushrooms, onions, garlic and potatoes to do it. Seasoned with parsely, oregano, mild curry powder, Worcestershire sauce and Veggie salt.
20210609_150622_(1).jpg

20210609_151721_(1).jpg
20210609_151930_(1).jpg
Slow cooked for 3 hours then thickened.
20210609_151448_(1).jpg
20210609_172120_(1).jpg
Into the puff pastry.
20210609_173059_(1).jpg
20210609_173324_(1).jpg
20210609_174351_(1).jpg
Served with puff pastry Parmesan thingo's :giggle:
And sauce, you aint Assie without sauce on your pie. ;)
20210609_181808_(1).jpg

My misses liked it so happy wife happy life. :D👍

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Chilly winter here now. Gale force winds, rain and wanted comfort food for tea, your dinner. Was shopping and saw some nice chunky beef pies, nearly got them but decided to make my own so got some lovely blade steak, mushrooms, onions, garlic and potatoes to do it. Seasoned with parsely, oregano, mild curry powder, Worcestershire sauce and Veggie salt.
View attachment 182928

View attachment 182929
View attachment 182930
Slow cooked for 3 hours then thickened.
View attachment 182931
View attachment 182932
Into the puff pastry.
View attachment 182933
View attachment 182934
View attachment 182935
Served with puff pastry Parmesan thingo's :giggle:
And sauce, you aint Assie without sauce on your pie. ;)
View attachment 182936

My misses liked it so happy wife happy life. :D👍
That looks amazing!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I don't why but every pic I have put on HERE today has double printed:facepalm:
I have issues about 70 to 80 % of the time. It becomes more so the longer the page in the thread gets and the more info it contains. The more pictures and especially vidoes it has on the page the more issues I get.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have issues about 70 to 80 % of the time. It becomes more so the longer the page in the thread gets and the more info it contains. The more pictures and especially vidoes it has on the page the more issues I get.
It only happens on this forum, everywhere else i post it doesn't do it :rolleyes:

VU Sponsors