of these
418cu5ixDYL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Plus half a can of these
Screenshot_20220924-212634_Samsung Internet.jpg
And half a can of this518l4kmTDuL._AC_SY580_.jpg

And half a can of this
download.jpeg-6.jpg

One and done, good to go

Edit-u would think a canned bellpper/onion mix would be a popular item, guess not..they seem to be able to can just about everything else tho

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Getting close to the perfect shelf stable, bachelor meal for me

This
View attachment 197551
Plus 1 or 2
of these
View attachment 197555

Plus half a can of these
View attachment 197552
And half a can of thisView attachment 197553

And half a can of this
View attachment 197554

One and done, good to go

Edit-u would think a canned bellpper/onion mix would be a popular item, guess not..they seem to be able to can just about everything else tho

Very nice, all shelf stable for that rainy day.

I haven't been cooking much lately, because now and then I have to stop getting fresh groceries and focus on the shelf stable back-up, the cans and packets about to reach their expiration dates. Today I'm using canned pea soup with some leftover onion rings from a fast food slipup, plus some curry powder and red pepper flakes, and will see how it turns out. Split pea dal? If it doesn't turn out vile, I'll come back with a pic.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got this InnovAsian General Tso's Chicken on a whim at the Mexican store of all places. I figured that 18oz worth of chicken tempura was worth it.

large_028b445d-436d-4448-b3b9-b0fbcb7d0f21.jpg

The 'sauce' was predictably icky and weak. Hell, "General Tso's" chicken is just a Americanized Asian dish after all.

I nuked the frozen chicken for about 30 seconds just to get the clumps separated, cut the big pieces down to match the others, then cooked 'em up. The sauce, I dumped in a bowl and messed with it...a lot.

The chicken and tempura batter are pretty good, but that sickly sweet sauce...it had to be reworked. Probably easier to just have made my own. :D

Turned out ok though for snacking and a later add-in to whatever.

20220925_115155~2.jpg

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got this InnovAsian General Tso's Chicken on a whim at the Mexican store of all places. I figured that 18oz worth of chicken tempura was worth it.

The 'sauce' was predictably icky and weak. Hell, "General Tso's" chicken is just a Americanized Asian dish after all.

I cut the big pieces down to match the others, then cooked 'em up. The sauce, I dumped in a bowl and messed with it...a lot.

The chicken and tempura batter are pretty good, but that sickly sweet sauce...it had to be reworked. Probably easier to just have made my own. :D

Turned out ok though for snacking and a later add-in to whatever.

I agree, General Tso's, orange chicken and some of the other so-called Chinese dishes just use variations of the same sugar syrup sauce, and they all taste alike.

It's been a long time since I had a kung pao dish, but it used to be my favorite Chinese restaurant dish. I'd have it without any meat, because of the peanuts in it, and the rice underneath it on the plate, all plentiful enough. I don't remember it being sweet AT ALL, just the brown type sauce, plus the peanuts, ginger and long spikey red chilis and some other veggies, but now you see a lot of recipes even for that, calling for sugar. It's ridiculous. It all gets corrupted over time because of the American taste for sugar (IMO). Even Innovasian, the brand you're showing in your post, puts out a kung pao in which the sauce ingredients list starts with sugar.

Mmm, now I have to get some restaurant kung pao when I finally finish expiry date pantry stuff this week.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made some Calrose rice, then did a little stir-fry with Asian veggies, smoked sausage, slivered Hatch chile pecans, lots of garlic, ginger paste, chile oil, Sambal Olek, Shoyu organic soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, 5-spice, a few drops of Three Crabs fish sauce, and peppers. Did not use a bagged sauce for this one..lol...;)

Frying it up...

The prettier version.

The "I'm nommming it" version.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back with my canned pea soup rehab, which I didn't get around to until today.

The leftover fast food onion rings were long gone. Pea soup is such an ugly duckling. There are all sorts of the usual comparisons of appearance to unpleasant things. Some fresh onions and jalapeno were good additions, curry powdered and sauteed in just a film of oil, a little salt added for the veg. I was wishing I had some carrots, but I don't.

Pea soup rehab veg.jpg

Then in with the soup, two cans, and I added a few fresh thyme stems, which I'll pull out in a few minutes when I have this for breakfast-lunch, and probably again for dinner tonite:

Pea soup rehab.jpg

It does taste really good. It's not supposed to need water, being a non-condensed soup, but I think it needs a bit more water. The soup is 280 calories per can, so half this recipe per meal is at a pretty good count, and I'll probably add some croutons on top.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made these today

The Beta Burger – Recipe from Beat Cancer Kitchen​

CBC-Mushroom-Oat-Burger_51A9023-scaled-e1656762384486-300x230.jpg

This recipe is from BEAT CANCER KITCHEN: Deliciously Simple Plant-Based Anticancer Recipes.
The Beta Burger aka The World’s Best Mushroom Oat Burger
Instead of store-bought veggie burgers, which are heavily processed with questionable additives and high levels of sodium, why not make your own?
Our savory Beta Burger patty is 100% plant-based and made from mushrooms and oats, two of the highest sources of beta glucans, a special type of immune-boosting fiber that is antimicrobial, anticancer, and even shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
I know what you’re thinking, a burger made from mushrooms and oats?
Trust me, it’s delicious.
This recipe can also be used to make meatballs for spaghetti.
Serves 6
Ingredients (organic is best)

-1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms*
-2 teaspoons sea salt
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-3 cups rolled or quick oats
-2 teaspoons black pepper
-2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
-6 sprouted whole-grain hamburger buns or 6 large lettuce leaves
-Mustard, Lemony Almond Hummus (page 191 in Beat Cancer Kitchen), pickles, red onions, sliced tomato, lettuce, and avocado for garnish
Directions
1. Pulse the mushrooms in the work bowl of your food processor until they are finely chopped but not blended. Work in batches as needed.
2. Combine the chopped mushrooms and salt in a large mixing bowl. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes. You’ll notice that water is being pulled from the mushrooms; do not discard the water!
3. Add the vinegar, oats, and pepper. Using your hands, knead the mushrooms and oats together until well incorporated. The mix will seem a little dry at first.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Use this time to slice your pickles, onions, tomatoes, etc., and tidy up the kitchen.
5. Knead the mixture once more. This time, it should resemble ground beef – seriously!
6. Divide the mixture into 6 equal balls and press each ball into a 4-inch patty on a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Make sure your patties have smooth, rounded edges. This makes them less likely to fall apart as they cook.
7. Place 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or frying pan set over medium heat. Pan-fry the burgers 3 at a time for about 4 minutes per side. Add the remaining oil before cooking the second batch.
8. Serve hot on a toasted whole-grain bun or over lettuce, topped with your favorite burger fixings. Mine are lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and lots of mustard.
Enjoy!
*Anticancer Food Fact: Aromatase is an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen in the body. Excess estrogen is harmful and can fuel cancer growth. White button mushrooms have been found to suppress aromatase by 60%, better than any other vegetable or mushrooms tested. In addition, eating one cup of cooked white button mushrooms per day has been shown to accelerate the salivary secretion of an immune system antibody called immunoglobulin A by 50%.

P1460673.JPG

But the oatmeal I had was from the bottom of a 50 pound sack, I didn't think of it till after I made it but I should of run the oatmeal through the blender first but they taste wonderful, there was 7, had to try them before puttin them on here. Next time I'll blend the oats :rolleyes: but they were so good I ate 4.
Oh and I cooked this in the oven

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well, looking at those sure helped my diet for the moment (just teezin, ya veggies)

Edit-i do like oatmeal cookies, i have nothing against grains, i just assume that tastes nothing like meat with those ingredients...

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Surprisingly it tastes great< I don't eat bread and don't fry anything (those were made in the oven) but did give one to my wife and she put it on bread w/ mustard tomato and onions and I just hadta take one bite. Like that I couldn't taste the difference in it and beef ( but I haven't had beef for 7 years).

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I eat meat... ;)

Lunch: seasoned beef patty, Tillamook cheddar cheese, browned onions, and a tangy/spicy bbq sauce I'd made awhile back. All on a generic bun lightly spread with Hellman's to keep it from getting soggy.

Just simplicity.

(pardon the bright sunlight, but it's the best light)

20220928_115139.jpg 20220928_115347~2.jpg

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Playing around with the pellet grill last night. I smoked a chuck steak to medium rare and then gave it a sear. My wife loved it (and the fact I'm doing the cooking)! I smoked it at 250 degrees for about an hour and then seared it at 450. Guess what, leftovers for tonight.

1664407508271.png

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well, I eat meat... ;)

Lunch: seasoned beef patty, Tillamook cheddar cheese, browned onions, and a tangy/spicy bbq sauce I'd made awhile back. All on a generic bun lightly spread with Hellman's to keep it from getting soggy.

Just simplicity.

(pardon the bright sunlight, but it's the best light)

View attachment 197747 View attachment 197748

get in my belly.gif

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a dip of sorts..perhaps a 4.5 layer? :D

Byc9BBpl.jpg

It's got my rice from the other day with a bit of Old El Paso taco seasoning added, Mexi-4-cheese, Stagg Silverado chilli, more Mexi-4-cheese, then a layer of chopped shallot, jalapenos, and black olives. A bit more cheese, then a dollop of Mexican crema and a drizzle of Herdez Avocado Hot Sauce to finish it off. A bit of fresh-ground pepper and smoked paprika for fun on the top.

Yummers. :)

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made these today

The Beta Burger – Recipe from Beat Cancer Kitchen​

CBC-Mushroom-Oat-Burger_51A9023-scaled-e1656762384486-300x230.jpg

This recipe is from BEAT CANCER KITCHEN: Deliciously Simple Plant-Based Anticancer Recipes.
The Beta Burger aka The World’s Best Mushroom Oat Burger
Instead of store-bought veggie burgers, which are heavily processed with questionable additives and high levels of sodium, why not make your own?
Our savory Beta Burger patty is 100% plant-based and made from mushrooms and oats, two of the highest sources of beta glucans, a special type of immune-boosting fiber that is antimicrobial, anticancer, and even shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
I know what you’re thinking, a burger made from mushrooms and oats?
Trust me, it’s delicious.
This recipe can also be used to make meatballs for spaghetti.
Serves 6
Ingredients (organic is best)

-1 pound cremini or white button mushrooms*
-2 teaspoons sea salt
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-3 cups rolled or quick oats
-2 teaspoons black pepper
-2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
-6 sprouted whole-grain hamburger buns or 6 large lettuce leaves
-Mustard, Lemony Almond Hummus (page 191 in Beat Cancer Kitchen), pickles, red onions, sliced tomato, lettuce, and avocado for garnish
Directions
1. Pulse the mushrooms in the work bowl of your food processor until they are finely chopped but not blended. Work in batches as needed.
2. Combine the chopped mushrooms and salt in a large mixing bowl. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes. You’ll notice that water is being pulled from the mushrooms; do not discard the water!
3. Add the vinegar, oats, and pepper. Using your hands, knead the mushrooms and oats together until well incorporated. The mix will seem a little dry at first.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Use this time to slice your pickles, onions, tomatoes, etc., and tidy up the kitchen.
5. Knead the mixture once more. This time, it should resemble ground beef – seriously!
6. Divide the mixture into 6 equal balls and press each ball into a 4-inch patty on a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Make sure your patties have smooth, rounded edges. This makes them less likely to fall apart as they cook.
7. Place 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or frying pan set over medium heat. Pan-fry the burgers 3 at a time for about 4 minutes per side. Add the remaining oil before cooking the second batch.
8. Serve hot on a toasted whole-grain bun or over lettuce, topped with your favorite burger fixings. Mine are lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and lots of mustard.
Enjoy!
*Anticancer Food Fact: Aromatase is an enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen in the body. Excess estrogen is harmful and can fuel cancer growth. White button mushrooms have been found to suppress aromatase by 60%, better than any other vegetable or mushrooms tested. In addition, eating one cup of cooked white button mushrooms per day has been shown to accelerate the salivary secretion of an immune system antibody called immunoglobulin A by 50%.

View attachment 197723

But the oatmeal I had was from the bottom of a 50 pound sack, I didn't think of it till after I made it but I should of run the oatmeal through the blender first but they taste wonderful, there was 7, had to try them before puttin them on here. Next time I'll blend the oats :rolleyes: but they were so good I ate 4.
Oh and I cooked this in the oven
Wow Jimi, bravo.

Kinda makes me wish I had a cuisinart to bring down the mushrooms to a fine mixture.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still getting caught up on pantry expiration date food, but when bananas are ripe, they won't wait.

Banana dog, today's breakfast lunch. You can't see the sweet jalapenos. Bun, mayo, sweet jalapenos, lettuce, nanner. I'm munching this deliciousness now, and probably another just like it for dinner tonight, and a banana snack this afternoon.

Banana dog.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made some Calrose rice, then did a little stir-fry with Asian veggies, smoked sausage, slivered Hatch chile pecans, lots of garlic, ginger paste, chile oil, Sambal Olek, Shoyu organic soy sauce, Hoisin sauce, 5-spice, a few drops of Three Crabs fish sauce, and peppers. Did not use a bagged sauce for this one..lol...;)

Frying it up...

The prettier version.

The "I'm nommming it" version.
Gawd, that looks fabulous.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made this the other day to munch on
Fresh salsa
Everything came from my garden except the bowl

Garden maters both yellow and red
Garden onions
Garden Garlic
Last years Chilantro
Garden sweet peppers
Garden hot peppers, 2 kinds, hot Banana and hot Red Peter

P1460658.JPG

I love fresh hot (from peppers) salsa

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My last banana in a taco for dinner on a warmed tortilla with butter and cinnamon sugar:

Banana Taco.jpg

It was that good.

What's an optimist?

An old lady buying green bananas.

How does a monkey get safely down the stairs?

By holding onto the banana-ster

What do you call the short time between slipping on a banana peel and landing on your butt?

A bananosecond.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BBQ Roast beef "Cheesesteak" Pizza for NFL watching.

Has Mozz and Bacon-Jack cheeses added.

Edge brushed with garlic-infused Bragg EVOO so it wouldn't dry out and get too hard to eat. Bottom sprayed with butter-flavored Canola for the same reason.

20220929_180441~2.jpg 20220929_172906~2.jpg 20220929_180211~2.jpg

Not gonna bother describing everything, nobody gives a shit anyways.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cheat day breakfast-lunch:

Pizza.jpg

I used a Mama Mary's brand package crust. It's small, about 7 inches, but the edges are raised, so you get something between a thin crust pizza and a deep dish. It was good, but if I'd followed the package directions it would have been great. The package says to brush the crust top and bottom with olive oil before adding the toppings. I would have used a different kind of oil, avocado or something, since grocery store olive oils are all stale and nasty, but I could see how the oil step would have made a difference. Browning is flavor. In spite of it, I really enjoyed this. I used a 400 degree oven temp.

The crust is 190 calories, the toppings around 200 I guess. I added only jar pizza sauce w/ crushed garlic and red pepper flakes stirred in, mozzarella, jalapeno slices and fresh thyme.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
BBQ Roast beef "Cheesesteak" Pizza for NFL watching.

Has Mozz and Bacon-Jack cheeses added.

Edge brushed with garlic-infused Bragg EVOO so it wouldn't dry out and get too hard to eat. Bottom sprayed with butter-flavored Canola for the same reason.

View attachment 197800 View attachment 197802 View attachment 197801

Not gonna bother describing everything, nobody gives a shit anyways.
I give a shit. I appreciate how you're able to make good food on a tight budget.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just wondering how many of you use hot water (from the tap... from the hot water heater) for cooking?
I only use cold tap water for cooking but my mother (83 years old) uses the hot tap water for everything (instant potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta, ect) Tried to get her to stop doing that but she won't listen.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just wondering how many of you use hot water (from the tap... from the hot water heater) for cooking?
I only use cold tap water for cooking but my mother (83 years old) uses the hot tap water for everything (instant potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta, ect) Tried to get her to stop doing that but she won't listen.
Well, the hot water isn't hot enough here to cook anything...it gets heated in a pan, or nuked or whatever...but I like using hot water as it takes less time to get to boiling. Electricity is $$$ and the hot water is already hotter...

Water here is Aquifer stuff..plus we have a state-of-the-art water treatment plant...so its as safe as can be.
If you're talking out in the country...IDK...

But no, tap water isn't hot enough usually...or shouldn't be. About 140F IIRC. Most things, you'd want boiling water I'd think. I'm not sure how hot vs cold from the tap would matter if it gets cooked though?

Hot tap water isn't hot enough to cook anything except mebbe Ramen on it's own, in my experience.
And instant rice, potatoes, etc are fairly crap too. Plus being less healthy and expensive compared to the real things.

Is she incapable, unwilling, or afraid of using a stove or microwave to cook with? If so, that's a bigger problem, I'd think.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Depends on what is being cooked. Hard boiled eggs for sure use cold as coming up from cold to boiling is part of the cooking process. Stuff where your adding to all ready hot water like pasta, then hot water from the tap is fine. Gotta save on the PGE bill when you can...

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There was a recent study done, I'm sure. Not using hot tap water was based on theoretical potential for it to carry legionnaires disease. The study which I read indicated that there has never been an actual case of legionnaires linked to hot tap water

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if it's superstition or true, but I think I remember reading long ago that hot water is more likely to loosen up bad stuff settled in the pipes and in the hot water heater, and bring it into your food. Better to run out cold water for cooking.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not exactly cooking but wanted to mention this Taco Bell "hack". They used to have "double decker" (not sure if they still have those) I figured out you can just get a bunch of tacos and heat your own tortillas and refried beans (cheap and easy) and make your own. I like that the crunchy taco shell, even if it breaks apart, is held within the flour tortilla and beans. Anyway, we wanted a break from cooking so this was a quick and easy solution.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is she incapable, unwilling, or afraid of using a stove or microwave to cook with? If so, that's a bigger problem, I'd think.
You mis-understood. Yes, she still cooks it but it's just because it comes up to boiling faster. We have really nasty tap water (and hot water heaters can breed bacteria) It really only takes a minte more for the cold water to heat up. We have a gas stove (cheaper than electric) Even a microwave uses lots of electricity.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depends on what is being cooked. Hard boiled eggs
I have no issue with hard boiled eggs (the water doesn't effect the eggs) Pasta, even though most of the water gets drained, still absorbs much of it. I have honestly noticed when she makes rice or instant mashed potatoes (where all the water is absorbed) I often have diarrhea the next morning. She is making hamburger helper in a couple days... asked her to please use cold tap water and she said OK. Might have finally got her to change (fingers crossed)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I only cook with/drink water outta my Big Berkey

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I assume you mean a water filter (and I have heard they are the best) So I assume you understand what I am talking about. Mother and nephew also drink tap water (and ind ice from the fridge that has no filter) yuck! I have heard they are the best (water filters) I may not drink the best coffee (right now... good old folgers) but at least it is made with bottled water (crystal geyser)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You mis-understood. Yes, she still cooks it but it's just because it comes up to boiling faster. We have really nasty tap water (and hot water heaters can breed bacteria) It really only takes a minte more for the cold water to heat up. We have a gas stove (cheaper than electric) Even a microwave uses lots of electricity.
Well, if the watrer is bad..IDK what to tell ya.
I live in a city and this apartment building was built in 1973, last remodeled in the 80s.
I have a brand new water heater, pipes are PEX, and everything here is electric.

My last electric bill was under $50.

I don't use heat unless I have to, nor do I use the 1980s oven ever or more than one burner on the stove. Panasonic microwave is 1100W from 1998 and was made in Kentucky, USA, and I use the new Convection oven thing daily.

And we have excellent water...ya can drink from a garden hose here.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Last night I smoked turkey breast on my pellet grill. It turned out pretty good since my wife loved it. There were two small breasts in the package as that was all I could find in the town I live in and no way am I going to drive an hour to get to decent stores with gas back to $6+ here in Cali. I smoked them for an hour then wrapped in foil with butter, fresh rosemary, fresh tyme, and fresh sage for another half hour.

1664716966227.png

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And we have excellent water...ya can drink from a garden hose here.
Our water sucks! I was spoiled for 12 years (up in the mountains at 5000 ft) We had soft clean pure water. I miss that. My wife told me she recently read about how bad our water is (hard water, toxins, bacteria) so even the cold water is messed up.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like Thanksgiving food, and think of cooking it as soon as fall arrives. Holidays reference childhood and what we grew up eating, as well as the decisions we've made, sometimes better decisions, as adults. For those who hazarded marriage and families of their own, holidays bring to mind the meals and memories created in that context.

For me, the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday table was mostly the same every year at grandma's house: the big bird, the dressing, sweet potatoes, earlier years with marshmallows, later years when the pecan praline topping became popular and replaced the 'mallows. Almost always the vegetable was green beans, until the gloppy green bean casserole became popular and took over. Always there were rolls, and gravy made from the turkey drippings. We had the vile cranberry gel that kept the shape of the can. My uncle always made a fruit salad. We never had mashed potatoes, and nobody thought you needed a second kind of potato after the sweet potatoes. Altogether it made a beautiful abundant table to enjoy, and leftovers for everyone to take home. The buffet top groaned under multiple pies. Every family brought one.

The only real difference between Thanksgiving and Christmas was that Christmas dinner started with cocktails and appetizers, and along with the pies at the end were giant tins of my aunt's homemade cookies for taking home. The stuffed celery was the most popular appetizer nosh, then the homemade cheese crackers made from a cheddar dough log, sliced and baked, kinda shortbready in texture, a little hot from some cayenne in them. To this day I would love to know that recipe. Some years there was a big bowl of peeled shrimp with a small bowl of cocktail sauce in the center. The kids got to drink whatever the adults were drinking, so I had my first bloody Mary at grandma's house, my first whiskey eggnog (gawd, my aunt made it from scratch including hand whipping the cream), and later, when that same aunt was getting adventurous with the blender, my first daiquiri, first mai tai, first pina colada.

Grandma had four pecan trees. Pecans are an autumn harvest, and everybody got giant bags of pecans. Needless to say, there were pecans in the pies and cookies, in the sweet potato topping, in the fruit salad, in the appetizers, etc. etc. Never enough ways to use up those lovely pecans.

My first adult decision was never again to have that vile can shaped cranberry gel, even back in the day when I still bothered to cook a bird (usually chicken chosen over turkey). I couldn't wait to express my adult taste with a compote made of cranberries, sugar, brandy, orange peel and pecans. Nowadays I use dried cranberries for the dish. They're already sweetened, so all I need to do is soak them in brandy plus the juice squeezed out of a big orange, stir in the toasted pecans, bring it to a boil, stir it, turn off the heat and let the mixture soak and evaporate, then grate the orange peel over the finished dish. Many citrus varieties are harvested in the fall. Haven't made this in a while, so I test drove it again today:

Orange zest.jpg

Cranberry relish.jpg

Nowadays, what's left of my family is in agreement: the big bird is fine for those who want it, but none of us want to spend a day laboring over it. We have replaced the bird with tamales and beer. We still like having sweet potatoes with crunchy topping. Cranberry sauce goes great with tamales too. I make homemade pico de gallo and guacamole, as the veg to go with tamales. Avocadoes are an autumn harvest. Sometimes we'll throw together a fruit salad or a green salad. No gravy, no rolls, and we're content with a bakery pecan pie for dessert, bought fresh the day before. Being made of corn masa, the tamales replace the dressing too. We've been doing this kind of spread for so long, it's tradition now. Nobody gets stuck in the kitchen, having to miss out on the inevitable political brawl, and it still feels and tastes like a special holiday meal.

Now that October is here, and I'm expecting to have supper club here some time in the coming weeks, I'm eating holiday food and test driving the fave recipes I haven't made in a while, to make sure they're as good as last time.

You can have that box stuffing. It's okay, but if I'm in charge of dressing for a holiday potluck or supper club, it has to be cornbread, crumbled up, mixed with butter sauteed chopped celery and onion, fresh sage and thyme, some broth for moisture, oven baked, tender inside, crisp and golden browned on top. To me it's okay to start with cornbread from a mix though.

I just want to make everything as special for others as it was always made for me.

This was tonight's dinner for me alone, acorn squash, a favorite autumn meal. I roast the halves cut side down for a while, then turn them cut side up and spread the tops and wells with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, roast them a little more until bubbly. I ate only one half, and stored the other half for making soup later this week.

Acorn squash finished.jpg

I had it with some organic brown rice topped with some of my cranberry relish. The recipe still works great.

Dinner 02Oct22.jpg

It's still warm outside here in South Texas, so that "fall nip in the air" just means you don't have to run the a/c as much. I changed my computer desktop wallpaper to this, our riverwalk after the February 2021 "snowmageddon".

Snow in SA Feb 2021 2.jpg

We get a fairly heavy snow every few years in this region, but it never, before February 2021, meant days and days of power outages and no running water, which makes me suspect an evil plan on the part of ERCOT, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is my best, best holiday dessert. I revived it for a potluck tonite. It's cooling off in the kitchen now. I should have taken a pic at the start, so you can see how much the pears shrink by the end, contributing their juice to the delicious syrup.

Depending on the size of the fruit, use 4-5 ripe Bosc pears, halved lengthwise, cored using a melon baller, leaving stems intact. Bosc tend to be unblemished, and the peel is fine and tender, so there's no need to peel them. Other pear varieties can be substituted, but will need to be peeled.

Pear prep.jpg

1/3 cup water, plus brandy or white rum to bring the 1/3 cup water up to the 1/2 cup mark. Or you can substitute Grand Marnier or kirsh, whatever booze you want. I always use brandy.

1/3 cup sugar

Optional: Sour cream or other filling, mascarpone, or a mixture of cream cheese and mayonnaise, whatever you think you'll like, after the pears have cooled. Chopped nuts optional too.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix sugar and liquid in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Place pears, cut sides down, in liquid in baking dish. Bake 30 minutes at 425, but check on them at 25 minutes, in case your oven runs hot. Bake until the liquid is bubbling high around the fruit, with big bubbles, and you can see the pears are getting done. Use tongs to turn over the pears, now cut sides up. Return them to the oven another 10 minutes or so, until they begin to brown a little. Keep an eye on them, because the liquid is cooking away, and you want to avoid scorching. As soon as you see the brown film forming inside the dish, they're done, and getting close to scorching, so get them out of the oven, or turn off the oven, pull out the rack and let them cool that way, safer than trying to lift the big heavy dish full of molten lava with clumsy oven mitts.

Pears finished.jpg

At the lower left in the pic above, see that brown film inside the dish? That's the danger zone. If it continues to a scorch, the dish is ruined. If it isn't scorched, it actually dissolves and washes off in plain water when it's time to clean up. The syrup created in cooking is a lot more plentiful than you can see in that photo.

When ready to serve, fill the pear cavities with sour cream, whipped cream, crème fraiche, mascarpone or your favorite treat. Or sprinkle with toasted pecan pieces or sliced almonds, or other favorite nuts, optional.

I usually just put out the dish of pears, and next to it a container of mascarpone and a small bowl of toasted chopped pecans, and let people do whatever they want. I like them without any toppings.

The finished pears can also be thinly sliced and used in an already cooked pie crust, which I did last year.

Pear Pie.jpg

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I assume you mean a water filter (and I have heard they are the best) So I assume you understand what I am talking about. Mother and nephew also drink tap water (and ind ice from the fridge that has no filter) yuck! I have heard they are the best (water filters) I may not drink the best coffee (right now... good old folgers) but at least it is made with bottled water (crystal geyser)
I think they are the best for the money offered right now. With the extra fluoride filters they even eliminate GMO's

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is my best, best holiday dessert. I revived it for a potluck tonite. It's cooling off in the kitchen now. I should have taken a pic at the start, so you can see how much the pears shrink by the end, contributing their juice to the delicious syrup.

Depending on the size of the fruit, use 4-5 ripe Bosc pears, halved lengthwise, cored using a melon baller, leaving stems intact. Bosc tend to be unblemished, and the peel is fine and tender, so there's no need to peel them. Other pear varieties can be substituted, but will need to be peeled.

View attachment 197934

1/3 cup water, plus brandy or white rum to bring the 1/3 cup water up to the 1/2 cup mark. Or you can substitute Grand Marnier or kirsh, whatever booze you want. I always use brandy.

1/3 cup sugar

Optional: Sour cream or other filling, mascarpone, or a mixture of cream cheese and mayonnaise, whatever you think you'll like, after the pears have cooled. Chopped nuts optional too.

Mix sugar and liquid in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Place pears, cut sides down, in liquid in baking dish. Bake 30 minutes at 425, but check on them at 25 minutes, in case your oven runs hot. Bake until the liquid is bubbling high around the fruit, with big bubbles, and you can see the pears are getting done. Use tongs to turn over the pears, now cut sides up. Return them to the oven another 10 minutes or so, until they begin to brown a little. Keep an eye on them, because the liquid is cooking away, and you want to avoid scorching. As soon as you see the brown film forming inside the dish, they're done, and getting close to scorching, so get them out of the oven, or turn off the oven, pull out the rack and let them cool that way, safer than trying to lift the big heavy dish full of molten lava with clumsy oven mitts.

View attachment 197935

At the lower left in the pic above, see that brown film inside the dish? That's the danger zone. If it continues to a scorch, the dish is ruined. If it isn't scorched, it actually dissolves and washes off in plain water when it's time to clean up. The syrup created in cooking is a lot more plentiful than you can see in that photo.

When ready to serve, fill the pear cavities with sour cream, whipped cream, crème fraiche, mascarpone or your favorite treat. Or sprinkle with toasted pecan pieces or sliced almonds, or other favorite nuts, optional.

I usually just put out the dish of pears, and next to it a container of mascarpone and a small bowl of toasted chopped pecans, and let people do whatever they want. I like them without any toppings.

The finished pears can also be thinly sliced and used in an already cooked pie crust, which I did last year.

View attachment 197938
I love poached/baked pears...Mum used to make that on special occasions. :)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 197934

1/3 cup sugar

View attachment 197935

View attachment 197938
I've never had these but they look awesome

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With this cooler weather comin on here it makes me hungry for good ole homemade soup, soo...
I had potato soup tonight, all garden components except the almond milk, salt, pepper, and a little arrow root starch
From the garden:
potatoes
carrots
onions
and garlic
I wanted to use hot peppers but wifey didn't think so :rolleyes:
P1460686.JPG

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's the smartest way. We've always had lovely clean water from the Edwards aquifer, underground limestone, but in the last few decades, with all of the aerial spraying of god knows what, golf courses built over the aquifer, pesticided, herbicided, and the accumulations from all the people who change their car oil on their yards, nothing is sacred, least of all the water, sustainer of life.

VU Sponsors