Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With this cooler weather comin on here it makes me hungry for good ole homemade soup, soo...
I had potato soup tonight, all garden components except the almond milk, salt, pepper, and a little arrow root starch
From the garden:
potatoes
carrots
onions
and garlic
I wanted to use hot peppers but wifey didn't think so :rolleyes:
View attachment 197984

🏆 Winner of the week.

That is so lovely. Fresh, organic, garden to table.

I made soup this week too, from the leftover acorn squash from the other day, plus another whole one I roasted, plus the leftover brown rice. Added some chopped onion and jalapeno, and most of a leftover jar of Maya Kaimal vindaloo simmer sauce. It made almost too much to fit into my largest pot, so after making two meals from it yesterday, I still have lots in the fridge.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's the smartest way. We've always had lovely clean water from the Edwards aquifer, underground limestone, but in the last few decades, with all of the aerial spraying of god knows what, golf courses built over the aquifer, pesticided, herbicided, and the accumulations from all the people who change their car oil on their yards, nothing is sacred, least of all the water, sustainer of life.
I read a water test article and NO water in the USA is truly safe :(

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
🏆 Winner of the week.

That is so lovely. Fresh, organic, garden to table.

I made soup this week too, from the leftover acorn squash from the other day, plus another whole one I roasted, plus the leftover brown rice. Added some chopped onion and jalapeno, and most of a leftover jar of Maya Kaimal vindaloo simmer sauce. It made almost too much to fit into my largest pot, so after making two meals from it yesterday, I still have lots in the fridge.
We always have some kinda leftover soup in our freezer. This potato soup didn't make it that far.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been working out this pumpkin dessert for supper club when it's my turn to have it here, probably later this month or early next month. We're not doing it as much as we used too. We started doing supper club during Cootie19 "lockdown" (national house arrest), from hunger to be with friends, and a sense of rebellion. We kept it up after you could go places again, but less often because everyone is busy again these days.

I received a free can of organic pumpkin in a recent Thrive Market order. I didn't want to spend 3.79 for a box of graham cracker crumbs, or buy graham crackers and have leftovers around here to tempt me, so I got a grocery store brand graham cracker crust for 1.79 and turned it back into crumbs. It made a LOT.

Crumbs.jpg

Anyway, do I do these dessert shots? I have plenty of shot glasses, but they don't hold very much, and it was really tedious to make just two of them. So then do I use my smaller wine glasses, or the larger ones? I don't want people to have to drink wine out of paper cups. I have plenty of these jelly jars I saved over the years from Bonne Maman jellies and preserves. I use them for everyday drinking glasses, and I kept the lids too, for refrigerator storage. Yes, probably those.

Done.jpg

I guess it depends on how many are coming. We try to keep it a small group each time, and the rotation works out on its own, based on who can come this time and who can't. We've had as many as 4-5 at a time, and as few as 2-3.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pepper tacos.

Was digging around in the fridge for what to eat, found half a bag remaining of the organic mini peppers I bought in late August, still fresh, no rot.

Peppers.jpg

I decided to let them be the taco shells. Filled them with leftover picadillo:

Filled.jpg

Topped with cheese and ran them into the oven at 425 degrees.

Cheese topped.jpg

Topped with restaurant green salsa, my best breakfast-lunch all week.

Sauced.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember eating something like those, just delicious and yours look so good.
I'm working on a vegan taco filling recipe using falafel mix, but I want it to really taste like taco meat before I post it. Getting the spices right is tricky. Then you can sub Myokos for the cheddar.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A corny breakfast-lunch:

Corn pkg.jpg

Rolled in melted butter and roasted

Corn done.jpg

The "mini-cobs" are each half an ear. The calories in an ear of corn range from 77 to 123 when I look it up online. How do people come to these conclusions, honestly? Anyway the package says 90 calories per serving, but the serving is counted as one mini-cob. I might believe that if you actually ate the cob, like a cow, but the few kernels from half an ear can't possibly come to 90 calories. So the calories will remain a mystery. I ate three of the minis with butter, salt and a dash of chili powder. Delicious, and the three left over will go with dinner later on.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yesterday's smoked Chuck roast. This is considered the poor man's brisket. Low and slow smoked at 225 degrees for 4 hours. Then wrapped in butcher paper with Waygu beef tallow to add moisture as there wasn't much fat on this cut. I let it rest wrapped in a old towel in a small cooler for 2 hours. It turned out pretty good for my first time using this method. My wife loved it and that is what counts.

1665337366705.png

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't want to keep the last of these organic mini peppers around any longer. They stay fresh in the fridge for weeks and weeks, but there's no reason to take chances on one day finding them rotten. They were getting a bit shriveled, which doesn't detract a bit from their flavor.

Peppers.jpg

So I made odds & ends soup including half an onion that was in the fridge for a while, some crushed garlic and red pepper flakes.

Saute.jpg

Some curry powder makes everything better.

Curry.jpg

Then in with the cream of mushroom, and a few stems of thyme to give their flavor then be removed. If I weren't lazy I would have stripped the thyme off the stems and mixed it in. Yummy soup for today's breakfast-lunch, as soon as it cools off:

Soup.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had these yesterday, meatless stuffed green peppers
Garden green pepper
Garden onion
Garden garlic
Garden tomato
Garden tomato sauce
One of my mushroom burgers broken up
Wild rice (the ONLY naturally gluten free rice)
Organic Vegitarian cheese's
screenshot.png

Attachments

• P1460784.JPG
    P1460784.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had these yesterday, meatless stuffed green peppers
Garden green pepper
Garden onion
Garden garlic
Garden tomato
Garden tomato sauce
One of my mushroom burgers broken up
Wild rice (the ONLY naturally gluten free rice)
Organic Vegitarian cheese's
View attachment 198240

Great recipe idea. I always think the most elegant, most gourmet meal is the garden to table. Some of the world's great restaurants boast "farm to table".

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Homemade Wing-style pulled chicken...it'll wreck ya...
I made the noob error of getting my head too close to the steam and sneezed for like 5mins...
🤯
🍗
😜
🌶️
🔥
👍

Made on the stove low & slow using my newer steel pan...really allowed me to control the process better than a slow-cooker.

Started off with 50/50 chinese chile oil and EVOO, with garlic, onions, and ginger...added the chicken breast chunks, then brought to a bubble to sear a bit and kill any latent bacteria. Then, low and slow for like 3 hrs in a torrid wing-type sauce.

The beginning....
4UvK5RFl.jpg

It's getting there now...
MAXRT88l.jpg

Oh yeahhh....
y61CDd9l.jpg

Imagine THAT on a stadium roll with some grilled onions and Gruyere/White Cheddar...
Trader Joe's sells a cheese that is a blend of both cheeses..it's freakin' awesome.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Naan flatbread pizza...with the wing-style BBQ chicken I made yesterday, sauteed mushrooms, and a little white onion. With shredded Oaxaca cheese.

Sauce is equal parts Contadina™ pizza sauce, hot wing sauce, and Mexican crema. With chopped fresh Cilantro.

20221016_095150~2.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi and MIss...why don't I just give ya a website to co-lab yer healthy stuff on......I run a dedicated server that's been around since1999. Or, ya could get a cheap domain of yer own for like a dollar at Namecheap that I could host. Sure, you could get free hosting for WordPress anywhere...but my server is far better than that. My domain doesn't have much traffic at all now...I quit doing the webDev and graphics design shit years ago. The server just idles these days.

just saying...seems yer a good team wasting yer time on a vape forums... ;)

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Smoked turkey breast from last night. Two hours smoked with pepper and dried minced onion, then 30 minutes wrapped in foil with butter and rosemary from my garden. Super moist and tasty.

1665961206375.png

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi and MIss...why don't I just give ya a website to co-lab yer healthy stuff on......I run a dedicated server that's been around since1999. Or, ya could get a cheap domain of yer own for like a dollar at Namecheap that I could host. Sure, you could get free hosting for WordPress anywhere...but my server is far better than that. My domain doesn't have much traffic at all now...I quit doing the webDev and graphics design shit years ago. The server just idles these days.

To be honest my friend I really don't know what all you said means. I am not very computer inclined, as a mater of fact I bought my first computer to join here and all I know how to do has been self taught. I truly appreciate the offer,

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Gosh Caff, much to reply to in a comment like that, which I call a short fused bomb because it's brief but says a lot :bomb: .

First: this is the second time I've seen you indicate that you're somehow second string in this thread. You're pretty dang creative in the kitchen, and I enjoy seeing your posts.

Next: that anybody is "wasting time" posting about food and recipes in a vaping forum.

For many of us, VU is our social media. I don't do Farcebook, no Twit, no Instagerm. @Jimi has indicated he learned to use the computer just to post here. It's a fair bet that forum members tend to be older, and not social media animals, though obviously there are exceptions. Overall it makes sense we would find our online presence here among like minded souls. VU has games, music threads, health threads, gardening threads, shopping threads, a joke thread and more. I'd be surprised if we didn't have a cooking thread, and I madly miss @Smigo who started this one some years ago, but has left us to move deeper into the Australian bush, where he wouldn't have internet. I always hope he'll discover satellite internet, or it will find him, and he'll come back.

The best bet to place is that we all arrived at VU celebrating vaping, but also in recovery from health issues. We all used to smoke cigarettes, so members arrived here recovering from that addiction, and from chronic bronchitis, COPD, some struggling with emphysema and worse. If we smoked, we probably had other bad habits, whether it was junk food, or eating too much or drinking too much (VU has a recovery thread). When you improve one thing in your life, it tends to lead to other improvements. I think people respond to @Jimi because he's come so far in recovering his health through nutrition, and has become a walking encyclopedia of evolving health advice and cooking with dietary restrictions.

VU is a circle of friends with a basic thing in common: we saved our own lives by quitting cigarettes through vaping. We came here for support, ideas, to give back, to extend a hand to newbies and pull them up, to keep an eye on the political parasites who want to squash our access to a life saving technology. It stands to reason that members would say "how about we share this, post ideas about that, help each other in this or that way?". I love this cooking thread, all of us here together sharing ideas and photos. Some are creating recipes using their vape flavoring concentrates, others just posting their impromptu ideas based on what's in the fridge, others celebrating the seasons with a changing array of recipes, others showing off their grilling and smoking skills, making our mouths water, if not making our mouths drop open in astonishment.

To me it's more fun to post here than it ever would be to run a blog and be responsible for regular content posting, never really knowing the circle of readers. I really hope you're having fun here too. I miss you when you go missing for a few days.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was my lunch yesterday and dinner was about the same.

Avo.jpg

The 99 cent store had avocados for 50 cents each. When you see that, you wonder if you should buy four or five, or 30 of them. I could tell they were ripe, so I only bought four. In fact I suspected they were a bit over the hill, and I was right, but even after I dipped out the brown bruisy places and cut off the scrabby edges, they were about 75 percent perfect. I salted and ate them with a spoon right out of the shells, the only ingredient of two meals. They made me super thirsty and very full.

I could eat five more meals just like that, but the avos are all gone. 😭

Never press on avocados to test for ripeness. It bruises them and starts those internal brown places for the next customer. The Hass is the only delicious variety. The other kinds are watery and fibrous. The Hass is ripe when the skin is uniformly dark and the little stem piece comes off easily. Anyway if it isn't ripe, it will be in a day or two just sitting out on the kitchen counter.

One time I saw a dim witted mouth breathing stockboy taking avos from the box and throwing them on the pile for sale. I thought I was gonna have to kick his ass.
:kickbutt:

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I am making this ham,potato recipe tonight- saw the recipe on Facebook- looked it up and they have a You Tube channel with many easy tasty recipes- it's in the oven baking now and will let you know how it tastes! Nice I had all the ingredients need to make this dish!
here is the link to their You Tube channel for more recipes- SuperYummy on You Tube

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am thinkin about this for a night commin up, I have a replacement for everything bad in it (for me), except for the bacon and I can do without it.

Perfect Potato Soup​

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...2f283b45b108f98cd2c22197691549b81a#reviewsTop

• Level: Easy
  • Total: 55 min
  • Active: 45 min
  • Yield: 12 servings
  • Nutrition Info

Ingredients​

Deselect All
6 slices thin bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 carrots, scrubbed clean and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
6 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice mix, plus more if needed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1 cup grated Cheddar

Directions​

PERFECT POTATO SOUP Ree Drummond The Pioneer Woman/Filling Edna Mae’s Freezer Food Network Bacon, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Russet Potatoes, Cajun Spice Mix, Chicken Broth, Milk, Allpurpose Flour, Heavy Cream, Parsley, Cheddar WATCH
Watch how to make this recipe.
  1. Add the bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook until crisp and the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
  2. Return the pot to medium-high heat and add the carrots, celery and onions. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with the Cajun spice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook until the potatoes are starting to get tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk together the milk and flour, then pour the mixture into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
  3. Remove about half of the soup and blend in a blender or food processor until completely smooth. Pour it back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Let it heat back up as you taste for seasoning, adding more of what it needs. Stir in the cream, then the parsley,
  4. Serve in bowls garnished with the grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces. The soup can also be frozen.

Cook’s Note​

If cooking from frozen, either let the soup thaw in the fridge and then heat in a pan, or cook from frozen by placing in a pan and heating with 1/2 cup water.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I am thinkin about this for a night commin up
Jimi that potato soup looks like it would be yummy! Thanks for the recipe for next time!
Well the ham potato , mozzerella cheese bake was really good! I will make this again. Enough leftover for another meal. I have to cook every night and nice to find new and easy tasty meals to make to change it up!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OMG I made a grain free pizza crust. Except I made an onion tart instead, as a practice idea for Thanksgiving.

I used one box of my favorite falafel mix, Tarazi, good clean ingredients, NO FLOUR. It has seasonings in it, so I only added water until it was saturated, and let it sit 45 minutes to get tender.

Then I really super thickly buttered a 9.5 x 12.5 inch pan with sides just under 2" high, not a sheet pan but also not a cake pan, something in between. It's by no means special equipment. I bought it at the grocery store a couple of years ago, but it's in the dishwasher now, so no pic. Thickly buttered it looked like there was cake icing on the pan, but I wanted that to fry the bottom of the crust while the top side baked. A slightly smaller pan would work, or a baking sheet with no sides actually. but nothing too small because you want a crust, not a cake.

I gently pressed the falafel mix with my palm, to cover the whole pan and go partially up the sides, then baked it by itself for 27 minutes. I rotated the pan halfway through. Your oven may be hotter, so I would say 25 to 30 minutes, if you're trying this.

While the crust cooled, I sliced up four large onions and fried them in half butter, half sunflower oil. Here's a pic of the organic sunflower I'm working my way through right now.

Sunflower oil.jpg

It tastes super fresh, and mixing oil with butter keeps the butter from burning. I started the onions on high heat, added salt, and once they got going and started browning, lowered the heat to medium. At the end of cooking I added a generous pinch of nutmeg (four onions after all), some fresh thyme and red pepper flakes, gave it a final stir-up. Because of the generous oil and butter for frying, I drained the onions before putting them on the crust.

Onion tart.jpg

I was pretty thrilled when I was able to slide the crust out of the pan and it kept all in one piece. But would it hold up as a pizza or tart crust? OMG, yes yes yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cut a piece. I'm holding it:

OMG works.jpg

There was no greasy residue on the crust, in spite of the heavily buttered pan.

Is this real? Did I just make pizza crust all by myself?

Editing to add one more pic. Er, you can see how I started slivering it to death while cleaning up the kitchen. I decided it will go on the holiday table if Thanksgiving or Xmas is here at my place, which isn't decided yet. Anyway I added some parsley for freshness and color. When I have more of it, tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, I'll drizzle on some balsamic reduction I have, Alessi brand, really good.

Parsley added.jpg

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am making this ham,potato recipe tonight- saw the recipe on Facebook- looked it up and they have a You Tube channel with many easy tasty recipes- it's in the oven baking now and will let you know how it tastes! Nice I had all the ingredients need to make this dish!
here is the link to their You Tube channel for more recipes- SuperYummy on You Tube

I looked at that whole channel. Very interesting.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OMG I made a grain free pizza crust. Except I made an onion tart instead, as a practice idea for Thanksgiving.

I just used one box of my favorite falafel mix, Tarazi, good clean ingredients, NO FLOUR. It has seasonings in it, so I only added water until it was saturated, and let it sit 45 minutes to get tender.

Then I really super thickly buttered a 9.5 x 12.5 inch pan with sides just under 2" high, not a sheet pan but also not a cake pan, something in between. It's by no means special equipment. I bought it at the grocery store a couple of years ago, but it's in the dishwasher now, so no pic. Thickly buttered it looked like there was cake icing on the pan, but I wanted that to fry the bottom of the crust while the top side baked. A slightly smaller pan would work, or a baking sheet with no sides actually. but nothing too small because you want a crust, not a cake.

I gently pressed the falafel mix with my palm, to cover the whole pan and go partially up the sides, then baked it by itself for 27 minutes. I rotated the pan halfway through. Your oven may be hotter, so I would say 25 to 30 minutes, if you're trying this.

While the crust cooled, I sliced up four large onions and fried them in half butter, half sunflower oil. Here's a pic of the organic sunflower I'm working my way through right now.

View attachment 198802

It tastes super fresh, and mixing oil with butter keeps the butter from burning. I started the onions on high heat, added salt, and once they got going and started browning, lowered the heat to medium. At the end of cooking I added a generous pinch of nutmeg (four onions after all), some fresh thyme and red pepper flakes, gave it a final stir-up. Because of the generous oil and butter for frying, I drained the onions before putting them on the crust.

View attachment 198803

I was pretty thrilled when I was able to slide the crust out of the pan and it kept all in one piece. But would it hold up as a pizza or tart crust? OMG, yes yes yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cut a piece. I'm holding it:

View attachment 198804

There was no greasy residue on the crust, in spite of the heavily buttered pan.

Is this real? Did I just make pizza crust all by myself?
That looks tasty, I love the taste of onion

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That looks tasty, I love the taste of onion
Meee toooooooooooo, love onions. Hindsight is always better, so if I make it again I'll add some worcestershire at the end of cooking the onions.

"Onions"

The strangest thing happened when I added this great song to this reply yesterday. A few minutes later it said "video unavailable". So I thought, fine, fumduck, if a dead artist doesn't want his work shared, I'll find someone else posting it. It was GONE from Youtube, on the artist's official website, and on the record label's site too. A mystery I had to check back on. It's back today, so trying again. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We had supper club here last night. Participants this time felt as I do, that this is a good time for us to try our holiday recipes on each other. I thought why does the turkey have to be the star of the table? The turkey doesn't want to be the star, for obvious reasons.

Turkey noooooo.JPG

In the long era of American factory food animal production, good isn't good enough, and abundance isn't enough. Turkeys have been selectively bred for size and speed of growth, which has remade a beautiful wild bird into an unnaturally big fat Frankenturkey. I won't go into the details of how this has made them sick, often crippled, deprived of the life that should have been their birthright, deprived even of a happy free ranging farm life until their day of doom. If you have access to fresh free ranging heirloom turkeys where you are, or you hunt wild turkey, great for you. I would love to taste one of those. Grocery store turkeys labeled "organic" are required to be free range, and to have been raised on organic feed.

This tableau shows a realistic idea of the actual size of the turkeys at that first Thanksgiving celebration (second figure from right):

Thxgiv peace.JPG

But today's traditional holiday table does feature that big golden brown glistening bird, the royalty you eat. So what else can be that beautiful, celebratory centerpiece of the holiday table?

I made another onion tart. I found these delicious organic whole wheat crusts. Put one directly on the hot oven grate to crisp it up.

Crust & in oven.JPG

This time I used only two large onions, and cooked them only in butter, very little butter. I would like to edit my previous onion tart post, where I mentioned using oil combined with butter. The onions taste brighter and get more crispy edges if you just use butter and salt, and you stay with them, stirring every few seconds. Then they don't have to be drained because the browned butter drips down onto the crust and makes yumness. This is why we test recipes, right, to get them better and better? More seasonings, when cooking was nearly done, were red pepper flakes and fresh thyme.

Onions.jpg

While the onions were sizzling hot I spread them on the warmed crust and topped with dried cranberries and fresh parsley. The rising steam plumped and softened the cranberries. This was our appetizer:

Onion pizza.jpg

For the first time ever at supper club, we had a couple of little kids here, so cover your eyes before I show you the next dish, and wait for it. I guarantee, it makes adult mouths water, and makes kids wiggle in their chairs. It may be different where you are, but here it's hard to find organic corn on the cob, except for frozen mini ears. I was lucky to find some fresh organic whole ears. I roasted them in butter, finished with salt, lime juice and a fine dusting of chili powder. You can look now:

Corn.jpg

The earth is so beautiful.

Next, the dish I call "pea pea".

Pea Pea.jpg

The name made the kids laugh, but that's what it is. Baby peas and snow peas (or you can substitute sugar snaps). I love frozen organic baby peas, because all you have to do is rinse off the ice crystals and they're ready. In fact, if you cook them, they turn that unappetizing army green color. So I rinsed them in the colander and let them drain while I cooked the snow peas just a little bit in butter with salt and and a pinch of ginger, then transferred both peas to the serving dish. Just mixing the baby peas with the hot snow peas was enough to make them warm and ready. I was surprised to find those beautiful organic edible flowers in the produce section so late in the year. They topped the dish perfectly, but any way you do your pea pea, it looks great on the table.

That's it for my efforts. The lady with the grandkids brought homemade turkey sliders on Hawaiian rolls with gravy for dipping, bakery pumpkin madeleines for dessert, and a bottle of Prosecco. I gave the kids orange sparkling water to drink. My other friend made a salad of baby lettuce, avocado, navel orange, pecans and champagne vinaigrette. The kitchen gets crowded when someone wants to cook on the spot, but you don't cut avocados until you're ready to serve them, so I didn't mind stepping aside. Anyway I finished all of my cooking and photos before the others arrived.

I love supper club.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just so everyone knows:

Free-range poultry[edit]​

Free range meat chickens seek shade on a U.S. farm.
In poultry-keeping, "free range" is widely confused with yarding, which means keeping poultry in fenced yards. Yarding, as well as floorless portable chicken pens ("chicken tractors") may have some of the benefits of free-range livestock but, in reality, the methods have little in common with the free-range method.

A behavioral definition of free range is perhaps the most useful: "chickens kept with a fence that restricts their movements very little."[citation needed] This has practical implications. For example, according to Jull, "The most effective measure of preventing cannibalism seems to be to give the birds good grass range."[6] De-beaking was invented to prevent cannibalism for birds not on free range, and the need for de-beaking can be seen as a litmus test for whether the chickens' environment is sufficiently "free-range-like".[7][citation needed]

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification.[8] However, what qualifies as "access" is not defined.[9] There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel. Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means.

The broadness of "free range" in the U.S. has caused some people to look for alternative terms. "Pastured poultry" is a term promoted by farmer/author Joel Salatin for broiler chickens raised on grass pasture for all of their lives except for the initial brooding period. The Pastured Poultry concept is promoted by the American Pastured Poultry Producers' Association (APPPA),[10] an organization of farmers raising their poultry using Salatin's principles. This term is not defined by the USDA and has no legal definition. To use a term like pasture-raised, producers must submit documentation to the FSIS of continuous free access to the outdoors, but do not need to include additional terminology to define pasture-raised on its label.[11] :blech:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification.

Free range denotes a method of farming husbandry where the animals, for at least part of the day, can roam freely outdoors, rather than being confined in an enclosure for 24 hours each day.[1]
Even if it is just 5 minutes a day. I used to have the article but can't find it yet.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wifey made this for me tonight

VEGAN MUSHROOM STROGANOFF
🌱

Ingredients
1 onion diced
2-3 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
11 oz fresh mushrooms sliced (*see notes)
4 tbsp white wine (optional) (*see notes)
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
3/4 cup plant-based milk or cream (*see notes)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
A pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt & black pepper to taste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
Fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley (and/or tarragon) chopped
Serve with brown rice or pasta of choice
US Customary - Metric
Instructions
Heat oil in a large pan/skillet, add onion and fry for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
Now add the mushrooms and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Pour in white wine (optional), vegetable broth, tamari (or soy sauce), and the spice mixture. I love adding nutritional yeast flakes as well but that's optional! Bring to a boil.
Add cornstarch to the plant-based milk or cream (I used canned coconut milk, however, almond milk, oat milk/cream or soy milk/cream is fine too) and stir to dissolve.
Pour the milk/cream mixture into the pan and cook on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as to your preference.
Add fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley and/or tarragon to taste! Enjoy with brown rice or pasta of choice! This creamy mushroom sauce also tastes great over mashed potatoes! Enjoy!
💚

May be an image of food

Here it is done on the stove
P1460876.JPG

This is so very delicious and meat free ;)
I eat mushrooms every day

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
VU doesn't like the size of my pics when posted on the same post so here they are before slicing.

1667736571183.png

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wifey made this for me tonight

VEGAN MUSHROOM STROGANOFF
🌱

Ingredients
1 onion diced
2-3 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp vegetable oil
11 oz fresh mushrooms sliced (*see notes)
4 tbsp white wine (optional) (*see notes)
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3/4 cup vegetable broth or water
3/4 cup plant-based milk or cream (*see notes)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
A pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt & black pepper to taste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
Fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley (and/or tarragon) chopped
Serve with brown rice or pasta of choice
US Customary - Metric
Instructions
Heat oil in a large pan/skillet, add onion and fry for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
Now add the mushrooms and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Pour in white wine (optional), vegetable broth, tamari (or soy sauce), and the spice mixture. I love adding nutritional yeast flakes as well but that's optional! Bring to a boil.
Add cornstarch to the plant-based milk or cream (I used canned coconut milk, however, almond milk, oat milk/cream or soy milk/cream is fine too) and stir to dissolve.
Pour the milk/cream mixture into the pan and cook on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as to your preference.
Add fresh thyme leaves and/or parsley and/or tarragon to taste! Enjoy with brown rice or pasta of choice! This creamy mushroom sauce also tastes great over mashed potatoes! Enjoy!
💚

May be an image of food

Here it is done on the stove
View attachment 199050

This is so very delicious and meat free ;)
I eat mushrooms every day
Mmm, that looks delicious. I want mine over mashed potatoes the way you're showing it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ask myself if I should ever highlight vegan recipes in this thread, since I'm not vegan anymore. I did once try to be for a while, but I became discouraged. People always wanted to argue with you about it. You had to bring your own food to dinner, or risk going hungry until you could get away. In any new restaurant you went to with friends, you had to ask the waiter "what's vegan on the menu?", and then everybody at the table would start arguing with you.

I'm not saying veganism was never practiced before the 20th century, but I observed that the veganism that gained momentum in the late 20th century was based on the boycott of cruelty in the food animal industry, veal calves kept in boxes to keep them small and tender, chickens left in battery cages until they have sores from the wires rubbing their skin, cattle being carved while still alive, dairy cows given hormones to increase their milk production until their udders are sore and infected, all the while their calves separated from them permanently. And the waste, pig farms producing enough sh*t to fill football stadiums, a kind of wasted gold that could be hauled away to fertilize crop fields but instead is left to produce stench and disease in the open air, causing the need to regularly dose the animals with antibiotics. Efforts to expose these things led to the creation of "ag gag" laws that could land you in jail if you tried to document or film them. I understood, along with the vegans who were growing in numbers around me, that a species that would do these things to defenseless animals, would ultimately do this to our fellow humankind.

But I have come to understand that this institutional indifference to the suffering of food animals is adjunct to a war on food crops, the environment, our water, soil and air, with the egregious use of hormone disrupting, wildlife killing, water polluting pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers. Organic growing, companion planting, working in harmony with the local microclimate, has been shown to be the way forward, but it will take time for the efficiencies of the one to overcome the deadly efficiencies of the previous. Organic is the label I look for now, whether animal, vegetable or packaged product. There is no such thing as an organic chicken, but if the chicken label says "organic" it means free range. Free range doesn't have to be organic, but organic has to be free range. The organic label indicates the animal has been given only organic, non-GMO feed, and has not been dosed with antibiotics on a schedule (though antibiotics are permitted if an animal is sick and needs treatment). There is a "humane animal care" certification available to farmers now, and some animal ranches have their own abattoirs so they can be sure there are no atrocious slaughter practices. Under Islam, pork is not consumed, but otherwise their halal animal slaughter protocol is followed for the least pain and trauma to the animal.

But I believe in the health potentials of veganism too, and I respect people's choices, so If I have a party, or have people over for dinner, if anybody coming is vegan, then we all eat vegan that night, and I make sure the food is delicious for all to enjoy. I find it a wonderful challenge still, and for that I still often make vegan choices for my own diet, to stay on top of what's in the market, new recipe innovations and serving ideas.

When I was vegan for a time, I obsessed over never again being able to have a BLT sandwich. I did use Turtle Island tempeh bacon strips back then, before I was concerned about GMO contamination making most of the world's soy crop GMO, which is its own can of worms that I won't go into here. The tempeh bacon tasted great and filled the BLT craving, but eventually I wanted to get away from soy products entirely.

Vegan mayo was grim back then, soy based, bland and strange tasting. I tried some, always had to mix grated lemon peel into the jar, dash of paprika or cayenne, bit of Dijon mustard, anything to disguise that motor oil flavor. Now there are better vegan mayo products around. I don't know what year it entered the market, but Sir Kensington classic vegan mayo is stupendous, so I haven't tried any of the others. It has no soy. You can see the jar in my blurry pics.

So what to use for the bacon? Eggplant bacon is so good. It's trouble to make, so I don't do it very often. I thought of it when I saw this long eggplant in the store. It makes better bacon-y strips than the big fat watery eggplants.

Eggplant.jpg

People salt and drain eggplant all the time, to make it less spongey when cooked, so in this instance you peel it and slice it as thinly as possible. You can use a mandoline and get super thin pieces that really crisp up like bacon, but I don't have a lot of stuff in my kitchen, so I cut it thinly with a knife. It was thicker than bacon, more like a thick chewy bacon than a thin crispy bacon. I salted both sides with bacon salt, which doesn't contain one molecule of animal product. It works great for this purpose.

Salt and salted.JPG

Then placed the slices in a colander, weighted down with a heavy bowl, to sweat and release juice for an hour. See how much juice came out?

Drain and juice.JPG

Then fried in organic sunflower oil until crisp. Whatever oil you prefer can be substituted, except olive oil, which has too low a smoke point. See how bacon-y it gets?

Frying and fried.JPG

The eggplant done, drained and cooled, I built my sandwich, including avocado. I like having mayo on the lettuce & tomato side, mustard on the bacon side, but your condiments are your choice.

Build sandwich.JPG

Yum yum yum yum, vegan BLT.

EBLT sandwich crop.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a little info for anyone who doesn't know

Agree with that whole list, except for what it says about the shallot. I find the shallot runs the gamut from sweet and mild, to pungent and sassy. I like shallots because they're small, so they work nicely in cooking for one, salad for one, etc.

Every time I forget that purple onions don't work well for cooking, I end up with those funny looking, mushy lavender color cooked onions, not very appetizing, but they taste okay.

Haven't been cooking much lately though. Avocado sandwich, tomato sandwich, avocado and tomato sandwich, nachos with tomatoes and avocados. I don't obsess over the country of origin. I know a lot of produce in our stores is from Mexico. Lots of great, juicy flavorful organic tomatoes around right now, and now I'm seeing 50 cent avocados in other stores besides the 99 Cent Store. Organic avos are around a buck each when you buy them in bags of multiples.

VU Sponsors