Become a Patron!

What is Sub Ohm Vaping?

judy61699

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everybody,

what is sub ohm? im totally know nothing about it. pls do help.

thanks.

judy61699

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok, i got it. sub ohm is low-resistance. many more......?

Last edited:

judy61699

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it is said that the vv/vw mods are unable to sub ohm on some units so make sure you get a tank that is compatible. Often needs external batteries and more expensive chargers how ever many are avalible with interal batteries.
im just confused.

Joshhm9x

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sub-ohming is exactly what it breaks down to. Sub meaning under or less than, ohm a single ohm so anytime your coil's resistance falls below 1.0 ohm. Sub ohm vaping produces bigger clouds (more vapor) and in turn usually a better flavor.

Edit: VV/VW devices can be small pens or massive box mods. So a pen can't really sub ohm well, but a box can do so easily. You get get self contained 100w box mods relatively cheap and do a lot with suborning on them. You won't be able to sub ohm well below 40w if you want good flavor and strong flavor production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Everyone is correct as posted above. SUB- less or under the said subject. Anything under 1.0 ohms/ resistance.

That being clarified, the meaning in the vaping world is just a bit different than just the facts.

In the majority of the vaping community it means "BIG , thick clouds."

Lets use 0.5 ohms as a base. Some RTA/ RDAs are specifically designed to give you maxium vapor than other. The "sub-ohm " tanks have large decks and have posts designed for at least 2 coils and large air intake. To get larger clouds you need more air, and chambers designed to concentrate those clouds.

If you set up a .5 ohm on lets say a Kayfun RTA and the same set up in a "SUB-OHM" RTA with the same liquid and same settings if you are using a reg device you are going to get a big difference in the amount of clouds you are going to get.

If you use a regulated device there is no NEED to build so low as you can up the wattage and if you have your wick and coil set up correctly to match the heat and correct air to fuel it, you will get large clouds.

If you use a mechanical device, then the same wick and coil and atomizer only difference is that on a fresh battery the performance is going to decline with every puff.

Back in the day of early regulated devices you were handicapped with how low you could build your coil. For some reason the idea that low resistance=big clouds stuck. I dont like it hot nor are giant clouds a necessity so I cant tell you if it is true that you still have to build low on a high watt device to get big clouds.

Another reason people use SUB-OHM tanks is that back in the day, if you enjoyed big clouds you used to have to give up on taste. Something about the way that the chamber in an atomizer did not concentrate the air. Big clouds needed more air and you would get very weak flavor. Now you can have great taste and great clouds.

So I hope I explained it simple enough.

Joshhm9x

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Everyone is correct as posted above. SUB- less or under the said subject. Anything under 1.0 ohms/ resistance.

That being clarified, the meaning in the vaping world is just a bit different than just the facts.

In the majority of the vaping community it means "BIG , thick clouds."

Lets use 0.5 ohms as a base. Some RTA/ RDAs are specifically designed to give you maxium vapor than other. The "sub-ohm " tanks have large decks and have posts designed for at least 2 coils and large air intake. To get larger clouds you need more air, and chambers designed to concentrate those clouds.

If you set up a .5 ohm on lets say a Kayfun RTA and the same set up in a "SUB-OHM" RTA with the same liquid and same settings if you are using a reg device you are going to get a big difference in the amount of clouds you are going to get.

If you use a regulated device there is no NEED to build so low as you can up the wattage and if you have your wick and coil set up correctly to match the heat and correct air to fuel it, you will get large clouds.

If you use a mechanical device, then the same wick and coil and atomizer only difference is that on a fresh battery the performance is going to decline with every puff.

Back in the day of early regulated devices you were handicapped with how low you could build your coil. For some reason the idea that low resistance=big clouds stuck. I dont like it hot nor are giant clouds a necessity so I cant tell you if it is true that you still have to build low on a high watt device to get big clouds.

Another reason people use SUB-OHM tanks is that back in the day, if you enjoyed big clouds you used to have to give up on taste. Something about the way that the chamber in an atomizer did not concentrate the air. Big clouds needed more air and you would get very weak flavor. Now you can have great taste and great clouds.

So I hope I explained it simple enough.

Great explanation and history lesson. Good write up.

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi, yes sub-ohm means low resistance of your atomizer. That technique was born on mechanical, unregulated devices to squeeze more power out of them.
Since temperature-controlled (TC) devices (mods) were introduced, sub-ohm became mainstream because the technology and materials involved made it preferable, or even needed, for the TC magic to work.
Most TC users don't even know they're using sub-ohm on their devices, not that they'd need to unless they rebuild their own atomizers.
Nowadays, with regulated devices providing dozens (hell, hundreds) of watts, sub-ohm is no longer needed, it's just yet another way of vaping.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
+1 to everyone. Subohm is for more cloud and direct lung vaping, and we now have gear that makes great flavor in the regime. I subohm all day, every day, and I love it. However, it isn't for everybody. it eats batteries and juice, too. Probably an actual majority of vapers like and/or use +ohm vape rigs, at least part of the time. A common adaptation is to subohm at home and enjoy the cloud, but take a small +ohm rig with high-nic juice to work, to make less of a nuisance to non vapers.

There isn't any "right way" to do this. What works for you is where you need to be. There are a number of rigs that will cheerfully do both jobs, depending on how you set the watts and what coil you're using. The Kanger Topbox and the Evic VTC and the iStick Pico all leap to mind in that regard. Get one and try it both ways, to see what you like. Or get one plus a spare tank and switch back and forth as pleases you. Another option is to go to the vape shop. Most people with a subohm rig will let you hit it to try.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Where she lives , she is a normal Sub Vaper....

6OYxaDu.jpg

CrackaJak92

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just as an example if 1.0 Ohms is a whole, .99 and under is a sub-Ohm, for instance, I have a KangerTech 1300mAh, 0.5Ohm Subvod. just a basic Pen shaped one, with a tank, as it's not a Dripper Module.

So, basically, anything below the whole single unit becomes Sub-Ohm, thereby improving clouding. Pretty sure that means that your Coil Resistance is lower, though please if I am wrong someone step in and correct me D:

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just as an example if 1.0 Ohms is a whole, .99 and under is a sub-Ohm, for instance, I have a KangerTech 1300mAh, 0.5Ohm Subvod. just a basic Pen shaped one, with a tank, as it's not a Dripper Module.

So, basically, anything below the whole single unit becomes Sub-Ohm, thereby improving clouding. Pretty sure that means that your Coil Resistance is lower, though please if I am wrong someone step in and correct me D:
.99-.001 sub ohm. 1.1-3+ above ohm vaping. Usually you want to lower your nic level the lower ohm coil/build you use. Ex, I use 18mg in the Nautilus Mini tank with a 1.8 ohm coil, and I use 3mg nic. with the .15 ohm coil in my Herakles tank (ni200).

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
grimgreen is that you?

No, no. And no, this is not grimgreen saying that to fool you.

Genuinely and sincerely, I am not grimgreen. I'm just me, Ben, the guy behind the handle of MorelyMagocMist. I have no real opinion of grimgreen. I've seen some of his reviews and some seem on target to me, others do not. Some of Mark Todd's reviews are the same with me, and some of Super_X_Drifter's as well.

This to me does not invalidate any of them, or cause me to see any of them disrespectfully. To me they're people passing on their opinions. I get opinions too, often after eating good beans. :) Sometimes I can agree with my opinions, others I cannot.

Eh, but you know me and equality, moderation. 'Scuse me. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

@ChrisL makes a good point regarding dropping nicotine level for sub ohm vaping, it would be good to follow that. Do not follow people like me that vape a consistent 1.8mg per ml or 18% nicotine across the board. I'm a bit genetically mis-mashed and somehow can handle it.

You can also do clouds using a coil built above an ohm at lower wattage. You need to balance out your juice's pg to vg ratio a little and fiddle just a smidge with how you build the coil. Sub ohming is not the only way to lob out clouds. It seems to work very well though. Please read up a bit on ohm's law and some battery safety if you've not already. I say this as a gentle reminder out of concern, be safe.

elegomall

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It’s said to be the best entry-level products for vaping beginner. With being all-in-one style, eGo AIO makes it very easy to start a vaping experience. Designed to be cap of tank and five-click fire button of power supply, eGo AIO is quite simple and convenient in use, and also very fashionable in look of several mixed colors and indicator light of seven colors. Not to mention the best anti-leaking structure with 2ml e-juice capacity, childproof systems: pressure twist. In a word, its simplicity and efficiency just make the device quite popular and unique.

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive got both sub ohm tank and normal. It produces great taste and clouds but it slurps up liquids in no time. I see it as a sports car powerful but slurps gas.

During the week as an ex smoker i use 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coils so it doesnt drown my juices in the weekends i use the sub ohm tank and enjoy me a tank. :)

Its a nice combination of vaping. I likey.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
question, for the people here saying that you don't need sub ohm to get a lot of flavor, what are your builds?
Sure the basic 1.5 ohm devices and such are good for quitting smoking, But unless you get lower then 1, you don't seem to get a lot of flavor. Thats just my personal experience though

VU Sponsors