Become a Patron!

What Made You Happy Today

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
As the title goes. What made you happy today? So much doom n gloom and negative these days.
There is still plenty to make us happy. Things people say, things people do or we hear or see they do.
So what made you happy? Today, tomorrow....
Today for me was seeing on TV a mate, who is and joined an aboriginal band years ago and the band is still going today called Coloured Stone. My mate Sal is the lead guitarist and even though I have not seen him for 20 yrs it was such a buzz to see him on TV today. I remember playing with him at a mates place in the late 80's and others say he would get nowhere. Huh, how wrong they were, he played here at the handing over of Ayers Rock back to the Aborigines and what a crazy funny story he told me when he did that. Was so happy to see him still rocking on today. Always liked Sal, we got along well. He's the one of course ripping it on lead in this. Albeit a number of years ago. At 2.20 you see Sal go.

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
As the title goes. What made you happy today? So much doom n gloom and negative these days.
There is still plenty to make us happy. Things people say, things people do or we hear or see they do.
So what made you happy? Today, tomorrow....
Today for me was seeing on TV a mate, who is and joined an aboriginal band years ago and the band is still going today called Coloured Stone. My mate Sal is the lead guitarist and even though I have not seen him for 20 yrs it was such a buzz to see him on TV today. I remember playing with him at a mates place in the late 80's and others say he would get nowhere. Huh, how wrong they were, he played here at the handing over of Ayers Rock back to the Aborigines and what a crazy funny story he told me when he did that. Was so happy to see him still rocking on today. Always liked Sal, we got along well. He's the one of course ripping it on lead in this. Albeit a number of years ago. At 2.20 you see Sal go.
Your idea for THIS ROOM made me happy....

cuz thats what the world needs more of right now,

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I woke up semi-happy today - while the two previous mornings I woke up super happy

Lots of reasons - being pain free, waking up super comfy snuggling with kitties starts the day off right and ignoring the news and focusing on selfish things make me very very happy

Anibird

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I spoke to my 89 year old parents and bought tickets to go see them at the end of October. I love my parents so it made me very happy to finalize plans to go see them. The trip to Florida is a bonus!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ignoring the news
Yeah working on that angle myself...
although had to do a Wally World prescription run today with the SIL and she NEVER shut up about the debate crap even though I told her several times I did not want to hear it.

So kinda in a wanna kick someone mood right now.
think i will go do laundry in the basement and have Pookie kitty sit on my lap and purr.

btw cats purring means they are happy that their servant training is working :)

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I woke up semi-happy today - while the two previous mornings I woke up super happy

Lots of reasons - being pain free, waking up super comfy snuggling with kitties starts the day off right and ignoring the news and focusing on selfish things make me very very happy
Not a big TV avengelist sort of guy but I retained something I heard said by one of them. " You can determine what kind of day your going to have before your feet even hit the floor in the morning". Very true and sometimes difficult.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My happy for today was sushi for dinner with sake! That always brings me to a happy spot. Sorry no pics, I wasn't planning on going online.

Yesterday's happy was my 30th anniversary of being married to my wonderful wife! Truly God's gift to me!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What makes me happy today? Going to do some yin yoga at neighbor's yurt today

We usually do hot yoga on Sundays, this is an extra day and I'm super stoked

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Found out this amazing fact today to do with mushrooms and vitamin D. By simply placing them in the sun gills side up for a short while before you use them they turn into what they say in the article "Vitamin D factories".
Amazing stuff!

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
am not sure where to put this.
yet it turned out am HAPPY so am gonna put it here.

for the past week as of last thursday at 2am have been under YELLOW light warning
from da septic system.. {{ this light makes me VERY NERIOUS }}
well i donwanna have raw sewage in my basement or spilling out across da yard.
Friday I called to have it pumped... 360.00 YOUCH yet the yellow light NEVER went off..
help help help I called out.. no one answered or did they?
leave another call help help help still no call back... or did they?
FRIDAY this week i call my little buddy an said hey call me back an i wanna know if this
Phone is ringing or not...
thats right sparkey did it again...
thanks for noticing never a sqanker have i ever REALLY seen.
YET O MY I love THIS..
View attachment 167952
I LOVE the way you can change settings { Dats why i love da tesla}

ONLY THING... is sparkey. 2 sec an in his hands SWIP he have dem setting so screwed up
I be ready to ring his neck..
{{example : the moto cel phone can to go RING RING if ya don't go swipping an randomly pushing buttons}}

could get it for me yet he would swipe it SCREW IT UP
an I still be ready to ring his neck.
yet dang dats cool! PERFECT SIZE..

will be discussed... i like it
sparkey was ramdomly preessing buttons AGAIN and found da do not disturb button this time..

I CALLED AGAIN
O MY GOD HELP HELP HELP and am sooooooo sorry
yet HELP HELP HELP and yes I WILL ANSWER DA PHONE i sware..
he called back ..
again..

an can you believe i made him end up giggling
cuz he started out pretty crankey
and will be here THIS WEEK to make the BLASTED yellow light stop freaking me out.

so am happy.

o ya an @Bigrick told ya was gonna get da christmas cactus this week.
and DID
christmas cactus 10-4-20.jpg
so am REAL REAL HAPPY about that.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@DaBunny
Your septic woes reminded me of when we lived in the farm house and at different times would be smelling sewerage wafting in the air. One moonlit night I followed the smell trail across the padocks of the neighbors sheep farm. Up on a hill where he cropped and there it was. A hill covered in sewerage from septic tanks. His brother nearby had a septic pump truck. Turns out to save money he was using raw sewerage for fertiliser for his canola crop.
No happiness there.

But those Xmas Cacti do it. My misses loves growing cacti in pots. :) Im a fan of them myself.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
am not sure where to put this.
yet it turned out am HAPPY so am gonna put it here.

for the past week as of last thursday at 2am have been under YELLOW light warning
from da septic system.. {{ this light makes me VERY NERIOUS }}
well i donwanna have raw sewage in my basement or spilling out across da yard.
Friday I called to have it pumped... 360.00 YOUCH yet the yellow light NEVER went off..
help help help I called out.. no one answered or did they?
leave another call help help help still no call back... or did they?
FRIDAY this week i call my little buddy an said hey call me back an i wanna know if this
Phone is ringing or not...
thats right sparkey did it again...

sparkey was ramdomly preessing buttons AGAIN and found da do not disturb button this time..

I CALLED AGAIN
O MY GOD HELP HELP HELP and am sooooooo sorry
yet HELP HELP HELP and yes I WILL ANSWER DA PHONE i sware..
he called back ..
again..

an can you believe i made him end up giggling
cuz he started out pretty crankey
and will be here THIS WEEK to make the BLASTED yellow light stop freaking me out.

so am happy.

o ya an @Bigrick told ya was gonna get da christmas cactus this week.
and DID
View attachment 170420
so am REAL REAL HAPPY about that.
Those are beautiful. It is probably the only type of cacti I can kill consistantly. They are fragile (Italian?) compared to their cousins.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Have been thinking about your cactus's
if you can find the name OR help me find the name i bet we could get most to flower.
Arizona-Sunset-3-Flower-Timelapse.gif
kind of looks like this one hu?
1601998340125.png
and i think THIS ONE WOULD BE GOURGIOUS if i was to sneek into your garden an swipe JUST one
to make flower for you I would choose this one. { an bet YOU would not chew me out } for doing dat HU?
gorgious.jpg
nothing but potential bud sites...

to make flower its just the length and strength of light and amount of food and water.
and if you have your soil right and IT SURE IS THERE. you could be good to go.
if she ever want to do that.. cuz ITS FUN! { i think }
edit: YELLOW LIGHTS OFF yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whoooooooooo
faulty wiring... only charged me 100.00 thank heavens .
most septic systems to repair start an 500.00 and go UP.
so got off LUCKY this time. and they did a complete systems check.
all system go
SO all READY for winter.
{{ they do not work on septic systems in the winter here}}

soooooooooooooooooo ammmmmmm REAL HAPPY!
got it in time,

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Have been thinking about your cactus's
if you can find the name OR help me find the name i bet we could get most to flower.
View attachment 170624
kind of looks like this one hu?
View attachment 170625
and i think THIS ONE WOULD BE GOURGIOUS if i was to sneek into your garden an swipe JUST one
to make flower for you I would choose this one. { an bet YOU would not chew me out } for doing dat HU?
View attachment 170626
nothing but potential bud sites...

to make flower its just the length and strength of light and amount of food and water.
and if you have your soil right and IT SURE IS THERE. you could be good to go.
if she ever want to do that.. cuz ITS FUN! { i think }
edit: YELLOW LIGHTS OFF yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whoooooooooo
faulty wiring... only charged me 100.00 thank heavens .
most septic systems to repair start an 500.00 and go UP.
so got off LUCKY this time. and they did a complete systems check.
all system go
SO all READY for winter.
{{ they do not work on septic systems in the winter here}}

soooooooooooooooooo ammmmmmm REAL HAPPY!
got it in time,
Nah you'd be welcome to take bits of any of them to grow. I know some of the cactis and succulents flower that the misses grows I just cant remember which have and which have not. I'll take pictures next time any do. ?

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I found galangal for my garden today, so I'm super happy
you are so fortunate...
{{ den again after alaska? zone 3-a you deserve to be}}

How to grow galangal​

Marcelle Nankervis July 31, 2015

If you’re like me and just can’t get enough Thai inspired cuisine at home, it’s time you considered growing more Asian herbs in your garden. Lots of people now grow coriander, Thai basil and chilli as a garden staple, {{ i do}} but it’s time to consider another essential Asian herb – galangal (Alpinia galanga).
It may look like ginger and even be related, but don’t let its family ties fool you – it is pink in colour with a more peppery-citrus flavour. It can also be a little pithy so it needs to be chopped finely or even crushed for optimal flavour.
Alpinia galanga Galangal is best planted in early spring by positioning small rhizomes with at least 1-2 buds about 20cm apart. Mark the area so you do not mistakenly destroy any rhizomes with a shovel when dormant. Try to plant them as understory plants where they will be protected from full sun and frost. Drought and frost sensitive, galangal does prefer tropical and sub-tropical conditions, but will grow well in warm temperate areas as long as they are protected from frost. In cooler areas you can always try growing them under a cloche. Galangal is relatively disease free; the only problem that may occur is root rot if the ground is too wet, even though they do prefer a moist soil.
Because galangal is a rhizome, the plants multiply in the soil, and it is these additional rhizomes that can be harvested. To harvest, carefully remove a few rhizomes from the side of the clump at a time rather than digging up the whole thing. This will allow the plant to keep producing for many years to come. It’s best to wait at least a year before beginning to harvest from new plants so that they can establish, but in only a few years’ time, you will be able to harvest whenever it is needed. If harvesting in large quantities or dividing plants for propagation, wait until the leaves have yellowed or died off in late autumn and winter.
Alpinia galanga Photo Arno King
Galangal Alpinia galanga Photo Arno King
Once harvested, galangal can be kept in the crisper section of the fridge for several weeks or if you need to store it for longer periods, it can be frozen or dried. Be sure to leave the skin on until use to preserve its freshness. Just wrap the roots in grease-proof paper and place in a zip-lock plastic bag in the fridge until you are ready to cook. If freezing, cut it into more convenient lengths and freeze in plastic. If dried, cut in slices and store in an airtight container. It can be easily rehydrated before use.
Now I grow things because of their flavour, but many people like to know what other health benefits you may gain. Being a part of the ginger family, galangal is said to be a cure for everything from motion sickness to impotence – so a little in your diet will go a long way!
Galangal is an important ingredient in most south-east Asian curries and dishes, especially Malaysian, Thai and Indonesian cuisine. A thin slither of fresh galangal is equivalent to about a teaspoon of dried galangal so use it with caution.
just
soooooooo lucky......

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think a number of the same folks I bumped into and who responded to my post in the 'check in' thread are here as well. Plus it's a fitting thread for today's news.

My dad had suffered incredibly painful back spasms and went to the hospital. Was aware he has stage 4 prostate cancer, they did a couple of operations on him. One on his spine, found cancer there as well as a lump on his head. The did brain surgery and removed cancer from his frontal lobe.

After some difficult weeks of recovery and therapy and a stay just over a month in the hospital, he got released earlier today (the 10th). I'm not positive what his current prognosis is, he's been improving in spirits as time goes on. Even with the setback that he'd be leaving the hospital with a walker. He was really hoping to skip the walker and use a cane. Maybe something he can transition to down the road.

The brain surgery had some effect on his motor skills (why the need for the walker). Not sure if that was the surgery itself or damage from the cancer in his brain. His memory is intact, have seen no signs of faltering in either short term or long term. No issues with his speech. Mostly motor skills in his hands and legs, the surgery to the right side of his brain affected his left side so he's not steady on his feet.

Once he got released he went home with his brother where he'll live at least for now where he can be looked after in the event he needs it. He got a homemade lunch and dinner after many complaints about the hospital chow. Luckily my uncle enjoys cooking and is a bit of a health nut in terms of diet and his cooking (lots of vegetables, healthy food). As my dad jokingly referred to him "the exercise gestapo" lol so I know he'll help him continue his physical therapy. And while I've been after my dad to upgrade his 7 or 8yo candybar phone for years, offering to get him one, my uncle finally got him a much more updated smart phone. Which will make sharing photos and things easier with him.

Much to be thankful for today and definitely appreciate all the kind words, thoughts and prayers from fellow members here who gave their support. I know he's not out of the woods yet and the cancer isn't going away. But for now he's improving and thankful to still have both my parents and knowing not everyone gets to leave the hospital. So it's still a win.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Borrowed sis in law's shower bench seat. Wife washed my hair well, got my back. Then, I finished showering myself. It felt good having warm water rinsing dirt away. Wife chuckled saying I looked like a big Russian bear giving myself a bath.

Also went with her today to do laundry. Got out when we got to the grocery. They had a scooter cart. I was allowed to use it. She told her dad I did fairly well with it. These humble things made me smile today. :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went for a walk in the rain with my boys. They were born and raised in a desert and have never done it. We're enjoying Georgia weather very much.

Anibird

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I'm almost done packing to go to Florida to see my parents and lounge on the beach. Our flight leaves early Monday morning and I can't wait! I'm going to miss my cats but I've made arrangements for them so I'm not worried. I wish it was Monday already!!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Nice day today even though it rained. Went for a drive to another town and got some chili plants, pots, coconut coir blocks, misses got some flower seedlings and the drive was such an easy cruise there and back it felt like I was dreaming it. Didn't get one single tailgater or idiot in the whole 260 ks. Usually get driven mad by them sitting just meters behind you at 100kph or having some inattentive clowns coming towards you at 100ks looking at their phone screen and drifting into your lane. None today! Quite bizarre really. :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
At home relaxing from a day out in another town doing some shopping for the misses to get some plants for her garden, few hours drive but made her happy so all good. Ate tea/dinner depending where you are from and call the last meal of the day. Parrots going right off in the gum trees where we live as happy as and seeing this from the balcony overlooking our country town. No photo shop or enhance, what you see is what we get.
Bliss.
20201021_192824(1).jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got this reply about my case against a shitty seller on Ebay....the guy ran off with well over a hundred people's money and shipped nothing. Bizzare considering he'd been a highly rated seller for a long time. Bastid.

XRhmd8o.jpg

First time I got ripped in over 15yrs of buying stuff on there, but eh...shit happens. And payback is a bitch. He's no longer a seller on Ebay.

I should have known to stick to my trusted sellers, but Caveat Emptor is clearly still a thing. ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On the lighter side, this gave me a chuckle today:

forever-dl.jpg

I remember those days well. :eek:

Somewhere around here I have a box the size of a loaf of velveeta full of 3.5" floppies that make up the install files for Netscape Communicator...ISP supplied back in the 90s....LOL

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
On the lighter side, this gave me a chuckle today:

View attachment 171607

I remember those days well. :eek:

Somewhere around here I have a box the size of a loaf of velveeta full of 3.5" floppies that make up the install files for Netscape Communicator...ISP supplied back in the 90s....LOL
zip drive, flash drives ,floppys dvdrw
and the really scary thing is am able to still view it all
cuz i have all da adapters or it would look like this.
fix da pc.jpg

cuz i got adapters.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My misses kept telling me about a rabbit that has taken up residence in our front garden. Sometimes spends the whole day under her plants. I kept missing it but this morning managed to get a picture of sorts. Doesn't dig or anything just comes to sit there. Funny rabbit.
BUNNY.jpg
Rainbow Lorikeets are coming here too to feed on the bottle brush bushes.
Beautiful birds.
PARROTS(1).jpg
PARROT2(1).jpg

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My misses kept telling me about a rabbit that has taken up residence in our front garden. Sometimes spends the whole day under her plants. I kept missing it but this morning managed to get a picture of sorts. Doesn't dig or anything just comes to sit there. Funny rabbit.
View attachment 171654
Beautiful birds.
View attachment 171655
View attachment 171656
is what they mean when they say "" being Down under in Australia""?
upsidedown.jpg

never seen a bird eat like that before.....
crazy and beautiful

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 171654
Beautiful birds.
View attachment 171655
View attachment 171656

It's a scout... You're screwed.

VU Sponsors