Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, you could. ....and many folks do.
Sit down at a REAL Hammond, Rhodes, Hohner D6, or even a Jupiter eight.
Emulation is just that. Fakery.

BTW, I was in a popular Floyd tribute band. The Hammond was digital.....
Sometimes, it works (i'm not slamming it).
Real is always better.
Oh believe me, I agree with that. A fake trying to replace the real thing never quite satisfies. It doesn't pass muster. I listen to genres that are plagued with fake drums. Takes me out of it almost every time. My suspension of disbelief will only take me so far. Unless the bass guitar is picking up the slack or you have something really unique going on, I can't even listen. It's almost like a simulation of actual good music. Just a simulation... ...like "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if someone was playing this? Eh? EHHHH?!" Well... ...yeah, it'd be pretty badass, actually.

I think there is a valid use for fake instruments, though... ...perhaps the ONLY valid use of them is to do things with them that you can't accomplish with the real thing. That's what I listen for in electronic music. The best electronic music producers manage to capture sounds and textures that their traditional counterparts can't normally achieve or make use of... ...they take the sounds of real instruments and combine/modulate them to create something that's uniquely its own thing, rather than trying to pass-off a crude impersonation of a real performance as the real thing.

Using a fake in place of the real thing is a waste of its potential. If you're gonna use fake instruments, you have to be creative with it. There are no substitutes for taste, skill, and good ideas. A worthy fake allows you to do things that's can't normally be done. And if you can't or don't make it do something that the real thing can't, then real deal will always be superior to whatever you're trying to do. There's nothing of value distinguishing it from the real thing.

Not too many people think or care to do that, though. They're just filling in empty spaces. I don't think fake instruments are inherently worse. It's just that most people abuse them by using them in place of actual talent, skill, and creativity. They think because they have a workaround, that they can dupe people into thinking they've done more than they have. And it never works. Even if you can't hear the difference, you can feel the inauthenticity. The finished product sounds implacably dry and bland.

Last edited:

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Don't know how I missed these guys since I'm a huge Mudvayne fan, but they have quickly become a favorite.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh believe me, I agree with that. A fake trying to replace the real thing never quite satisfies. It doesn't pass muster. I listen to genres that are plagued with fake drums. Takes me out of it almost every time. My suspension of disbelief will only take me so far. Unless the bass guitar is picking up the slack or you have something really unique going on, I can't even listen. It's almost like a simulation of actual good music. Just a simulation... ...like "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if someone was playing this? Eh? EHHHH?!" Well... ...yeah, it'd be pretty badass, actually.

I think there is a valid use for fake instruments, though... ...perhaps the ONLY valid use of them is to do things with them that you can't accomplish with the real thing. That's what I listen for in electronic music. The best electronic music producers manage to capture sounds and textures that their traditional counterparts can't normally achieve or make use of... ...they take the sounds of real instruments and combine/modulate them to create something that's uniquely its own thing, rather than trying to pass-off a crude impersonation of a real performance as the real thing.

Using a fake in place of the real thing is a waste of its potential. If you're gonna use fake instruments, you have to be creative with it. There are no substitutes for taste, skill, and good ideas. A worthy fake allows you to do things that's can't normally be done. And if you can't or don't make it do something that the real thing can't, then real deal will always be superior to whatever you're trying to do. There's nothing of value distinguishing it from the real thing.

Not too many people think or care to do that, though. They're just filling in empty spaces. I don't think fake instruments are inherently worse. It's just that most people abuse them by using them in place of actual talent, skill, and creativity. They think because they have a workaround, that they can dupe people into thinking they've done more than they have. And it never works. Even if you can't hear the difference, you can feel the inauthenticity. The finished product sounds implacably dry and bland.

Agreed RZ! I have a rackfull of fakeness, several Octapads, and various and sundry digi noisemakers. I know fake.
I also know how to manipulate the fakeness.
It still sounds fake. I don't care how much verb, EQ, and whatever you try. It still sounds fake. So what the fuck, Don't hide the fakeness.
It all depends on context.
The very expensive pile of blinky-light dig-gear is mothballed.
Been back to realness for a while now....

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It still sounds fake. I don't care how much verb, EQ, and whatever you try. It still sounds fake. So what the fuck, Don't hide the fakeness.
It all depends on context.
Haha, you said it all right there!

I'm legit thinking about playing this and stuff like it at work instead of the usual top 40 pop and classic rock that plays nonstop. I'm so over that stuff. You ever hear something so many times that it starts to sound "smelly" to you? Maybe like a t-shirt that you've worn for a month straight? Like you just gotta rip it off?

Would anybody shop to this? My goal here is to get some chill, upbeat, inoffensive, mostly instrumental music that is not your stock Muzak material. Something that people young and old can quietly tolerate...

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Haha, you said it all right there!

I'm legit thinking about playing this and stuff like it at work instead of the usual top 40 pop and classic rock that plays nonstop. I'm so over that stuff. You ever hear something so many times that it starts to sound "smelly" to you? Maybe like a t-shirt that you've worn for a month straight? Like you just gotta rip it off?

Would anybody shop to this? My goal here is to get some chill, upbeat, inoffensive, mostly instrumental music that is not your stock Muzak material. Something that people young and old can quietly tolerate...
THAT ain't bad at all. Yuuup, there is some serious digital manipulation goin' on on....
I can listen to it and not puke.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Far, far, far away - way
People heard him say - say
I will find a way - way
There will come a day - day
Something will be done.

Then at last the mighty ship
Descending on a point of flame
Made contact with the human race
And at Mildenhall

Now, now, now is the time - time
Time to be - be - be aware

Carter's father saw it there
And knew the Rhull revealed to him
The living soul Hereward the Wake

Oh, my, something in my eye - eye
Something in the sky - sky
Waiting there for me

The outter lock rolled early back
The service men were heard to sigh
For there revealed in flowing robes
Was Lucy in the sky

Oh - oh - did you ever know - know
No no never ever will they
I'll say!

Summoning his cosmic power
And then glowing from his toes
His psychic emanations flowed

Songwriters: ROGER WATERS

www.infowars.com

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ain't quite done yet...

Frank zappa (guitar)
Captain beefheart (harmonica, vocals)
Napoleon murphy brock (saxophone)
Bruce fowler (trombone)
Denny walley (slide guitar)
George duke (keyboards)
Tom fowler (bass)
Terry bozzio (drums)

Flies all green and buzzin'
In this dungeon of despair
Prisoners grumble and piss their clothes
And scratch their matted hair
A tiny light from a window-hole
A hundred yards away
Is all they ever get to know
About the regular light in the day

And it stinks so bad the stones been chokin'
Weepin' greenish drops
In the room where the giant fire puffer works
And the torture never stops
The torture never stops

Slime and rot and rats and snot and
Vomit on the floor
Fifty ug-a-ly soldiers there
Holdin' spears by the iron door
Knives and spikes and guns and the likes
Of every tool of pain
And a sinister midget with a bucket and a mop
Where the blood goes down the drain

And it stinks so bad, the stones been chokin'
Weepin' greenish drops
In the room where
The giant fire puffer works
And the torture never stops
The torture never stops,
The torture
The torture
The torture never stops

In this dungeon of despair
An evil prince eats a steamin' pig
In a chamber right near there

He eats the snouts and the trotters first
The loins and the groins are soon dispersed
His carvin' style is well rehearsed
He stands and shouts
All men be cursed (4x)
And disagree, hell no one durst
He's the best of cause of all the worst
Some wrong been done
He done it first

And he stinks so bad his bones been chokin'
Weepin' greenish drops
In the light of the iron sausage
Where the torture never stops
The torture never stops
The torture
The torture
The torture never stops

In the dungeon of despair
Who are all those people
That he's locked away down there
Are they crazy
Are they sainted
Are they zeros someone painted
That had never been explained
Since at first it was created
But a dungeon like a sin
Requires not much lockin' in
Of everything thats ever been
Look at her
Look at him
Thats whats the deal we're dealin in

Last edited:

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey there snake, that's "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
Uuuh, I would go off on an educational rant of Pink Floyd, nightmares, and such, but I'm tired, it's late.
Yes I realized that I had mistakenly written the plural tense right after I hit (Post Reply).I wasn't going to toss in an edit notice for such a small error...Cheers!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
YUUUUP, Great "pipes".
Badass Hammond player.
...pipes. heh.
Yep Pipes.
Direct C&P from (Urban Dictionary) below.

pipes
A set of vocal chords; usually used to describe one's singing abilities.
"Mariah Carey's voice is awesome! She has an amazing set of pipes."

"Have you heard the new girl in our choir? She has great pipes."

KEWB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm at work right now, so nothing atm. Most recent song I listened to was the new "Moth into the Flame" by Metallica. Hardwired was okay, but I can't believe I actually enjoy this one. Best song they've done since the black album imo.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yep Pipes.
Direct C&P from (Urban Dictionary) below.

pipes
A set of vocal chords; usually used to describe one's singing abilities.
"Mariah Carey's voice is awesome! She has an amazing set of pipes."

"Have you heard the new girl in our choir? She has great pipes."
Yeah brutha, Great pipes!
I was making a failed pipe-organ reference.....o_O

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Howdy there kiddoes!

I was gonna post each song individually with lyrics, but they all kinda run into each other.
And it would be a Pain In The Ass.
The lyrics are available.

I'm sorry, but Ah's got's to do it:

You'll dig this, or triple your money back!

BADASNESS:

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
THAT ain't bad at all. Yuuup, there is some serious digital manipulation goin' on on....
I can listen to it and not puke.
Glad you don't hate it! He's one of the few in that movement thingy that actually puts some care and effort into what he does. And it does show.

It's been going over well at work. Lots of people are asking about it.

This must be what it feels like to die. So haunting and spiritual.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was making a failed pipe-organ reference.....o_O
More like a penny-whistle than a pipe organ.
pennywhistle3j.jpg

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Really badass playin' here.
It's real long. ....but kickass.

Last edited:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Don't think that I don't like crunchy in-yer-face geetar.

I appreciate BALANCE.

This stuff is fuckin' hardcore badass. ...and completely unapproachable to those that don't play.
Ain't no fixin' the situation. If you know, you know.

Ah were gonna play the studio version.
Upon further review, the live version may be better suited to this forum.

.....it's perty kickass!

Just check it out.

VU Sponsors