Become a Patron!

What's the last Movie you saw?

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I really believe Bill Murray is one of history's greatest actors, but people don't seem to see it. After I saw him in "The Razors Edge", was talking about him with some friends, and all of them only knew him from Caddyshack or Ghostbusters.
I thought Murray was awful in The Razors Edge. It was his 1st non-comedic role, iirc, and I remember him being clumsy and unbelievable beside the experienced dramatic actors in the cast. His skills developed a lot after that, though, and he was great in Lost in Translation. The role sort of sat at the edge between drama and comedy; it was perfect for him and he was perfect in it.
I'll be looking for Peanut Butter Falcon.
Quite sure you won't regret it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought Murray was awful in The Razors Edge. It was his 1st non-comedic role, iirc, and I remember him being clumsy and unbelievable beside the experienced dramatic actors in the cast.
The critics agreed with you about Razors Edge, but in terms of public consumption it's a case of "critics be damned". The DVD and streamed movie continue to sell galore, with high consumer ratings. I didn't know it was an earlier movie than Lost in Translation. I saw "Razor" long after I saw "Lost". One of my movie buddies loaned me his DVD.

I thought Murray's clumsiness or awkwardness was a deliberate device, since his most prominent character trait was never to seek a comfort zone, and to encounter people and ideas from many and varied socio-economic groups. It was like when people looked down their noses at him, he was looking up their noses and trying not to see snottiness.

Anyway, loved Murray also in "Groundhog Day".

If we disagree, discussion is part of the fun, IMO.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I thought Murray's clumsiness or awkwardness was a deliberate device, since his most prominent character trait was never to seek a comfort zone, and to encounter people and ideas from many and varied socio-economic groups. It was like when people looked down their noses at him, he was looking up their noses and trying not to see snottiness.
Interesting point. I may have to re-watch Razors Edge with that perspective.
loved Murray also in "Groundhog Day".
Me, too. Great film, great performance. I saw it on DVD and it included several deleted scenes with him that made the movie even better.
If we disagree, discussion is part of the fun
Most definitely. The only thing I won't let you disagree with me about is that you're a lovely person.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting point. I may have to re-watch Razors Edge with that perspective.

Me, too. Great film, great performance. I saw it on DVD and it included several deleted scenes with him that made the movie even better.

Most definitely. The only thing I won't let you disagree with me about is that you're a lovely person.

Awww, Freyja you are kind. I enjoy having you as a forum friend.

Hah! I re-watched Razors Edge too. Gawd, I loved it all over again.

Based on a novel by the great author W Somerset Maugham, and to read of Maugham's life you can tell Razor's Edge was somewhat autobiographical, though he never lived in the US like Bill Murray's character Larry. Maugham actually served as a volunteer ambulance driver for the British Red Cross in World War I.

On the subject of Maugham I'll recommend to you another movie, based on a short story by his nephew Robin Maugham, "The Servant", a riveting socioeconomic class study that starred Dirk Bogarde, Sarah Miles and James Fox. It was made in the 1960's, black & white. You might be able to find it free online.

Unless you've already seen it.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
1692592614987.png

Strays, aka "fetch and fuck" very funny.

Phone Booth (2002) with Colin Farrell
Despite the fact that the film is relatively old (almost 20 years old) it can boast to have perfect suspence and quite unexpected ending. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend that you give it a go.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I really want to see Oppenheimer, im a huge fan of historical documentaries in general.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Spaceballs! Haha, mel brooks at his finest. Better then blazing saddles imho

lmfao, classic, joan rivers, john candy, rick moranis (feed me seymour, lol)

TFF

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
No Hard Feelings
funny
best part was seeing Jennifer Lawrence naked on the beach :D

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last night I watched "Chef" (2014) for free with digital credits I had on Amazon Prime. What a wonderful movie I never heard of before, a joyful affirmation. It has fantastic music. In fact I'm looking for a good price on the soundtrack CD, and maybe even I'd like to own the DVD. I love foodie movies, love watching cooking.

The title role is played by the director, Jon Favreau, who also wrote the screenplay.

Carl Caspar is a genius in the kitchen at a well regarded restaurant in an affluent neighborhood. He is inspired by the ingredients he finds at the farmers market, and loves making people happy with food, but the restaurant owner has him straitjacketed to a 10 year old menu, and will not allow creativity. A restaurant critic comes one day, and this is when Chef's miseries really begin. Chef is clueless about social media and how it works, so thinking he's sending a private message to the critic who is grinding him to a pulp, his tweet goes out to the whole world. A great line in the movie, "You know what's the worst thing that ever happened to me? I became a meme. I'm a meme now". The restaurant owner tells Chef that before he does anything else on social media, he (the owner) has to okay it first.

So all this conflict coincides with an offer Chef receives for a good price on a used food truck. He isn't snobbish about food truck cuisine. The dialogue includes his philosophy that food is food, and making it outstanding is the challenge, not being in a foofoo restaurant. The conflicts with the restaurant owner, and his despondency over the public nature of his conversation with the food critic, propel him into a new adventure.

Chef has a great kid who adores him, who appears to be around 9 or 10 years old, and a beautiful ex-wife. You can tell the divorced couple is still in love, not an uncommon thing among divorced people.

So with the kid and the ex-wife he travels to Miami to check out the food truck. His ex-wife, who is from Miami, takes him to places to try the best of Cuban food, and he loves it. He decides to buy the food truck and take Cuba to L.A., but he gets his feet wet while still in Miami. The lines of customers grow longer daily, the till fills up, and happiness ensues. His little boy is a genius on social media, which gives another big boost to his startup. A thing that makes this movie more than just a story is the journey from coast to coast in the food truck, with stops in New Orleans (sister city to Havana), and Austin TX (an early food truck haven). The music soars from start to finish, and at each stop Chef and the truck are working, selling food, tons of it.

I won't spoil the end.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Phone Booth (2002) with Colin Farrell
Despite the fact that the film is relatively old (almost 20 years old) it can boast to have perfect suspence and quite unexpected ending. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend that you give it a go.

I'm always discovering older movies I never heard of, and some of them are great and I'm really grateful to have been clued to them.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
About as many as Texas Chainsaw / facsimile prob. I seen the og of each - was enough for me.

I'm in the middle of Tomorrow Man atm

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Just watched the original day the earth stood still from 1951.

Keanu reaves, a 20 milliin dollar budget, and tons of cgi obviously made the new one better, BUT that was 1951, thats so early, it was actually a decent flick for the time

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had Amz digital credits piling up so I watched the 1991 movie "Drop Dead Fred" for free. I almost closed it and abandoned after the first 15 minutes, because the humor is a kind of slapstick I find annoying, but as the plot became more interesting I stuck with it. About the last 25 percent of the film really delivered.

Because of the slapstickery, the viewer can fail to realize this movie is about a very sick young woman. An imaginary friend in childhood may be fairly common, but in an extreme situation, this movie made me realize, it can be a symptom of a splintered personality.

So in Drop Dead Fred, Phoebe Cates plays Lizzie, a hapless young woman with a talent for walking into mishaps and failures, and for causing mishaps. Her husband is cheating on her and wants a divorce, while her mother will not leave Lizzie alone to be an adult and solve her own problems. The imaginary friend from her childhood, Drop Dead Fred, shows up again and makes things worse, or so you think. By the time Lizzie sinks her friend's house boat, you realize she needs to be institutionalized, for her own safety and for the safety of the people in her life.

It won't be much of a spoiler to say the last quarter of the movie is the positive denouement, in which Lizzie integrates into her adult self her frightened child self, as well as her imaginary friend Drop Dead Fred, who turns out to have been a guiding light to her.

Lizzie's haircut transformations in this movie are reminiscent of the old Audrey Hepburn movies in which Hepburn sort of stepped into a new avatar, denoting her freedom by cutting her hair. There were at least two like that, "Roman Holiday" and "Sabrina".

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I spent more of my digital credits to watch "Lost in Paris" (2016), maybe one of the best movies I've ever seen. Never having been much of a movie goer, there are many, many movies I'm unaware of until I start browsing options.

A small capsule review would be to say this movie is about freedom found in homelessness, the loss or forfeiture of possessions, money, shelter, food supply. Fiona has traveled to Paris to find her 88 year old aunt Martha, a former dance hall star who has stopped communicating. Fiona loses her passport, money, clothes, everything, when she falls into the Seine river and has to remove her massive backpack to avoid drowning. Aunt Martha is elusive, staying out of her own apartment for long stretches of time, to escape the white coats trying to force her into a senior care home. Dom is a chronically homeless alcoholic buffoon who lives well by his wits. Dom becomes linked to Fiona when he finds her washed up backpack bobbing against the quai.

The story takes place mostly on the banks of the river Seine, but the story ends with the three characters sitting on a rail at the top level of the Eiffel Tower, legs dangling over the city, symbolizing "freedom above all".

VU Sponsors