Become a Patron!

What's the last Movie you saw?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watched "The Kid Detective" last night. Not the greatest movie I've ever watched but it wasn't bad. A fair bit of humor, lighthearted but a mix of emotion and seriousness mixed in. Kind of a nice dynamic shift.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wife two or three months ago, "The Witcher is on Netflix. You might like it. You're more into High Fantasy than me."

Me finally deciding to watch one episode just to see what it's about, three seasons later, "Hm."

I'm now seeing a very clear way to blend The Witcher with Wheel of Time. Yes, I know they are completely different stories and "worlds" and such. Still my mind just does that, ties stuff together.

If not clear, yes I actually enjoyed watching The Witcher. Going to start into Blood Origin soon, need to finish the anime Wolf's Nightmare.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dune 2021 it was OK and actually better than the Original IMO. Less of the surrealistic BS like the first one.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Both were like 2 1/2 hours long?

Hm, Mandela Effect it is then for me & wife. We both saw a four hour long version of the original. No, not that long due to commercial breaks. The actual content of the movie was that long. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Me and her tend to slip into alternate universes at times, I guess.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had a run of weird movies lately. Vivarium was one, the last one was 'John and the Hole'. Sounded like it could be good, it was just - weird. Had the guy in that played Dexter, Michael C Hall. Unfortunately his role was small. Very little dialogue. Have to give the movie credit for an accurate title though. It was indeed about John. And a hole.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Watched "Hamilton" on Disney+ the other day.

I'm generally not a fan of musicals AT ALL, but Hamilton was great. I can see why it's had such a long run on the stage.

I definitely plan to watch it again.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've had a run of weird movies lately. Vivarium was one, the last one was 'John and the Hole'. Sounded like it could be good, it was just - weird. Had the guy in that played Dexter, Michael C Hall. Unfortunately his role was small. Very little dialogue. Have to give the movie credit for an accurate title though. It was indeed about John. And a hole.

Did you watch "Dexter: New Blood" yet?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My wife had never seen Young Frankenstein except for bits and pieces. She had recorded it on the DVR so we watched it. She was totally ROFLHAO.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've been re-watching season 1 (and soon, season 2) of "Tin Star" on Prime, so I can be up to date when I start watching season 3.

Yeah, I know it's not a movie. Last movie I tried to watch was "Fantastic Beasts - The Secrets of Dumbledore," but I got interrupted and haven't gotten back to it yet.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The thing I miss the most about Bevis & Butthead is when they watched the music videos.
Unfortunately unless someone has a torrent with actual copies from the show you will never get to see it.
I doubt anyone was uploading torrents back then. lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The thing I miss the most about Bevis & Butthead is when they watched the music videos.
Unfortunately unless someone has a torrent with actual copies from the show you will never get to see it.

I might be able too find them Usenet Servers have retention.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never saw this thread before.

Right before the Ukraine situation broke out, I watched Mr. Jones. There are a couple of movies with that title. I'm referring to the one with James Norton, about the time of this cross-current: US and UK were funneling money into strange places during the Hitler/Stalin era, the New York Times published a Pulitzer prize winning article about "Uncle Joe" Stalin's communist successes, while trains were entering and exiting Ukraine every day, taking away all of their grain stores, all of their food animals, every last piece of fruit and crumb of bread, creating a famine that killed millions. The western press covered it up, and to date that Pulitzer has never been revoked. Eye opening movie.

More recently, "Idiocracy". I'd never seen it before, but I'm a big fan of Mike Judge. Idiocracy was being discussed on the other forum, so I watched it for free on TubiTV. OMYGAWD. They say it was a documentary of the future. How true.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just for the heck of it, I've been binging the LOTR extended versions that I have on Vudu streaming.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just for the heck of it, I've been binging the LOTR extended versions that I have on Vudu streaming.

Have you see the blurbs for the LOTR series that starts Sept 1 on Prime?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you see the blurbs for the LOTR series that starts Sept 1 on Prime?
Yup, I've also heard that Amazon screwed things up and made them woke. I'll watch the first release and decide from there.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last night I watched "Metropolis" for free on TubiTV. I'd seen only clips of it in the past, and crazy things have been done to this film, including sound tracking it with 20th century rock music, but I watched a restored silent original, and wow, what a tour de force, with so many perennial themes bubbling up: the industrial grind, the class separation of workers from those who reap the profits, the eerily prescient idea of using technology to deceive, the elites' deep fear of the working class. Even the idea of a "messiah" is there, in the repeated theme that the head and the hands (the elites and the workers) need a mediator, which is the heart. The workers faithfully wait for "the mediator" to come.

It does get a bit painfully long at about two thirds the way through, and you can see why edited versions have been released over the years, but when you're watching online you can say "f*** it" let's fast forward to the uprising.

Made in 1927, the story was set in the future, in the year 2026. The ironic thing is that the movie was criticized in the era of its original release, because it was believed to be promoting communism, while today people believe it expressed top-down communism of the Klaus Schwab variety, the self appointed elite owning everything and enjoying a beautiful world, the workers living in harsh conditions, doing grim, repetitive work.

I won't say more and get into spoilers. I'm glad I saw it.

Recently I watched no time to die movie and It was brilliant, classy, exciting - all the things you expect a Bond film to be.

Edited- moderator removed spam link

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Caught a couple of new ones that sparked my interest. The Black Phone was pretty good, definitely creepy. And another, entitled “Fall,” which I really liked. Two girls decide to climb a 2,000ft television tower, get all the way to the top, then the rusty ladder breaks away and falls. Oops….o_O

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, they were upping, just not on BT, because it hadn't been invented yet. I never used BT though, it's a Gov't trap. Kinda like Onion routing...but I digress...

Remember Archie/Veronica, FTP, Limewire, Napster, Newsgroups, et al ???

I remember back in the day when d/l a multi-part ZIpfile copy of a 1.44MB game disc took HOURS over dialup on a BBS. Eeek...

Still have my indestructible 28.8 USR Sportser in case of Apocalypse...dialup still exists... =)

Here's something for fun...

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Black Phone was pretty good, definitely creepy.

Had mixed feelings regarding seeing it. Still do. Youngest brother had got it from Redbox when we saw mom over Labor Day. He, his daughter & mom saw it after we'd left. He let me know it brought back some memories from when we were kids, and his dad was abusive with me.

My brother suggested I wait a few more years. Took me nearly eight years after the fact to watch American Sniper. Just some content I put off seeing for various reasons. Just a note to parents out there. Never tell a child they lack value, it ruins them for life, even said once.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching this.....

andor-payoff-poster-generic-4657898_aa21981f.jpeg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I recently tracked down a movie I found on a list of films that were banned due to philosophical or political content. Now that I've seen it, "La Belle Verte", 1996, I'm still not sure what the controversial content was. The movie was made in France, which was the first country to ban it, not due to violence or sexual content or any of the usual things. After France, the ban followed pretty much everywhere else.

The basic plot is that a utopian planet of people who have some human DNA in their lines, and who are biologically very much like Earth people, will periodically travel to Earth. They can time travel, but somehow it is easier for them to target a place to land, not so much a time in which to appear. They consider their time and space travel to be "archaeology". They are investigating what went wrong on planet Earth. I don't think they ever specifically say it, but you get the gist that the people of Earth nearly destroyed the planet.

When it's time to send someone to Earth again, one woman volunteers, hoping to land during the French Revolution, to find her human ancestral line. The time fails, but she does land in Paris. The movie is funny but not hilarious, interesting but not fascinating, altogether impossible to describe well. I'm glad I saw it. I own the DVD now. I had to get a used Korean import because it's almost impossible to find in western releases at an affordable price. It doesn't matter in terms of content. The disc is in the original French, with optional English subtitles.

It has a wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Belle_Verte

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Top Gun:. Maverick

Wow! What a movie! Far better than the original TG, imo.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I watched "Women Talking", based on Miriam Toews' book of the same title. I've always been very curious about high demand religions. On the one hand there are the spirituality, discipline and focus. The Amish seem to get it right (though outside forces are always a threat to them). On the other hand in strict patriarchies there is the potential for abuse and subjugation of women.

Anyway, "Women Talking" was up for three days under "free for me" on Prime, so I caught it. I wish I knew how it ended in real life. It was based on a true story of the women in a Mennonite colony who were being subdued with cow tranquilizer, then brutally raped. They'd wake up bruised and bloodied, but without any memory of what happened because of the tranquilizer. They were told by the male elders that demons did it. It resulted in pregnancies and STD's. Horrid.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I watched "Women Talking", based on Miriam Toews' book of the same title. I've always been very curious about high demand religions. On the one hand there are the spirituality, discipline and focus. The Amish seem to get it right (though outside forces are always a threat to them). On the other hand in strict patriarchies there is the potential for abuse and subjugation of women.

Anyway, "Women Talking" was up for three days under "free for me" on Prime, so I caught it. I wish I knew how it ended in real life. It was based on a true story of the women in a Mennonite colony who were being subdued with cow tranquilizer, then brutally raped. They'd wake up bruised and bloodied, but without any memory of what happened because of the tranquilizer. They were told by the male elders that demons did it. It resulted in pregnancies and STD's. Horrid.

I think that movie was nominated for several Oscars. Don't know if it won, but just being nominated is apparently a pretty big deal.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Always seems the way of people, good and bad, in every walk of life.

Recently, tried to see Top Gun: Maverick as well. Located it via Paramount+. I put it on and got maybe ten minutes into and passed out. *grin* I think I have a Tom Cruise sensitivity (allergies are called sensitivity now), where I pass out looking at him. Think my subconscious goes "Owe! That face, gotta hurt," ... then, I feel that pain and pass out. *shrugs* I don't know.

Speaking of formulas, Nestle's baby formulas are not for babies. Mothers and expecting, please do your research on that. Yes, Tom Cruise movies are way too formulaic.

As one comedian put it. Hero guy is the only guy to do whatever. He loses confidence, meets a girl who feigns being unattainable. They end up getting together, he has confidence, goes and saves the day. The End.

Yes, he smiles and makes millions. *nodding* Absurdity. But hey, jmho. Brad Pitt is better to look at. *grin*

Trying to recall what I actually saw all of it. *smh* Not there. Not been looking at movies, really. Waiting on Prime to drop more Wheel Of Time, and/or Rings of Power! :gaah::cuss2: Waiting on more Criminal Minds Evolution as well, the writers left it quite open-ended.

We've been binging SG1, "Indeed." Probably soon dust off Firefly on DVD and Serenity. Not so much into movies or tell lie vision anymore. Ahhh, ...

Last movie I've watched, slept, got back up rewatched to see it all.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I thought Top Gun: Maverick was terrific. I also think Tom Cruise is quite easy on the eyes. It's a shame he's SO, well, let's say "unconventional."

Brad Pitt was better to look at in "Legends of the Fall." I'd agree with that.

Last movie I saw was "Flight" with Denzel Washington. It was upsetting, a tragic story, but really well done.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Brad Pitt was better to look at in "Legends of the Fall." I'd agree with that.

*very deep sigh* Yes, he played the character of Tristan excellently. Also liked him in Meet Joe Black & Spy Game.

Not a Brad Pitt fanatic by any means. Willing to give him due as an actor. Most of his private life seems that, private, and that is respectable.

Will grant that, yes, he is a very attractive man. Not sure if I would resist his allure if he were to ever direct it my way. *Wandering along now pondering a spray to rid one of Chuck Norris clones*

Chuck Norris is faster than the speed of light. Proof exists in the clicking sound one hears turning on a light switch. That's Chuck Norris roundhouse kicking darkness away before light arrives.

Chuck Norris is so fast, he makes Super Cena look slow. How is that for "No see me"?

Last edited:

luckyjack

Member For 4 Years
Just watched "training day". Only saw it once many years ago, remembered it as a really good film in which Denziel unusually plays a "not a good guy" roll, but totally forgot the story or the end.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday I watched "Apocalypto", which I've been meaning to see for a long time. I should say I tried to watch it, but it was very fast moving, with a lot of realistic violence depicting the Maya ways of warfare in the year leading up to the arrival of Hernan Cortes.

I felt there was much to admire in the effort. It did away with any notion that the Maya are an extinct people. They are still all over the Yucatan Peninsula and beyond (the Aztecs are still around too, recognizing themselves and their culture and trying to preserve their old language, including here in the United States where some of our regions were parts of "Aztlan"). The remnants of these people live on in similar reduced circumstances as the North American first nations, and much assimilated, but that isn't what the movie was about. Mel Gibson hired all Maya people to play the roles, and gave a heroic effort to use the Maya language for all dialogue. The actors are beautiful, fit people. It was not a romanticized notion of what these people were at the height of their culture. They warred among themselves and had ceremonies of mass human sacrifice to appease their gods. I'll offer no judgment of how that compares to modern genocides and wars among "developed" nations.

I had to fast forward through some sections of the bloody violence. The lush rainforest settings were inviting. The wisdom of the elders was given in campfire conversations, how the wolf said that one day mankind would know how to get all he needs from the forest and live in peace, but the wise owl said that man will never believe he has enough, and will take from the earth until it can no longer sustain him.

I'm glad I saw the movie. It's free on Tubitv.com

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There are so many movies I've never seen, and there are lots of free full length movies online.

I was looking up something on YouTube today, stumbled onto "Sugar & Spice" (2001).

Head cheerleader and quarterback get pregnant, get married, end up renting a dive with a creepy landlord, but they stay in school. Poverty is the only thing interfering with their happiness, so she decides armed robbery is the answer.

Pretty funny little movie, an hour and 20 minutes.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hmm? No posts here for nearly a month. Well, I saw 2 movies recently that deserve mention:
The Peanut Butter Falcon (Dakota Johnson & Shia LeBeouf)
Lost in Translation (Bill Murray & Scarlett Johansson)

Both very much worth seeing and both great reminders that film can be a true & moving art form.

(Keep some tissues a the ready.)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm? No posts here for nearly a month. Well, I saw 2 movies recently that deserve mention:
The Peanut Butter Falcon (Dakota Johnson & Shia LeBeouf)
Lost in Translation (Bill Murray & Scarlett Johansson)

Both very much worth seeing and both great reminders that film can be a true & moving art form.

(Keep some tissues a the ready.)

I saw "Lost in Translation" many years ago, loved it. I really believe Bill Murray is one of history's greatest actors, but people don't seem to see it. After I saw him in "The Razors Edge", was talking about him with some friends, and all of them only knew him from Caddyshack or Ghostbusters. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Scarlett Johansson is very talented too.

I'll be looking for Peanut Butter Falcon. Have not heard of it before.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Haunted Mansion (2023 film)​

recommend
Not really scarry, lots of good one liner jokes.

VU Sponsors