What's the last Movie you saw?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Last night I signed on to watch something on Prime, and they had the movie for sale.

Hmm. Critics panned it, audiences loved it, Rami won the Golden Globe for it.

I didn't like it nearly as much as I expected to.

I'm old, and back in the 70s my hubbs and I were both just bowled over by Queen. When Freddie passed, I remember sitting at my desk (36 years old at the time) crying my eyes out. Maybe sounds childish to some, but there it is. He was a master musician, and it was a terrible loss in my mind.

I think this movie didn't do Freddie justice in so many ways. But perhaps it was accurate, and if that is the case, then maybe it was Freddie who didn't do himself justice.

:sad:
I LOVED the movie, but it was indeed riddled with inaccuracies, even though they were small ones. I read that it was done for drama, but I certainly didn't see the need. Anything to do with Freddie and Queen was drama guaranteed, one of the reasons they're one of my favorite bands. To make a movie that truly served him and them justice would have been a lot longer than 2 hours.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I LOVED the movie, but it was indeed riddled with inaccuracies, even though they were small ones. I read that it was done for drama, but I certainly didn't see the need. Anything to do with Freddie and Queen was drama guaranteed, one of the reasons they're one of my favorite bands. To make a movie that truly served him and them justice would have been a lot longer than 2 hours.

I think perhaps the problem I'm having is that Freddie looked so frivolous in so much of the movie. He presented himself that way to the public, but part of what I'd want to see in this movie is the part of Freddie that had to do with hard work and creativity. The part of him that Queen saw but no one else did. You know that part of him had to exist, but they didn't show it. They hinted at it a few times, and then moved right back to almost comedic situations and big loud music and eccentricity.

Historical inaccuracies, meh. I don't care about that. What I wanted to see was the musician and the entertainer, and the man who was brave beyond his own sexual orientation, and musically ahead of his time.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think perhaps the problem I'm having is that Freddie looked so frivolous in so much of the movie. He presented himself that way to the public, but part of what I'd want to see in this movie is the part of Freddie that had to do with hard work and creativity. The part of him that Queen saw but no one else did. You know that part of him had to exist, but they didn't show it. They hinted at it a few times, and then moved right back to almost comedic situations and big loud music and eccentricity.

Historical inaccuracies, meh. I don't care about that. What I wanted to see was the musician and the entertainer, and the man who was brave beyond his own sexual orientation, and musically ahead of his time.
Yes, I have to agree, there could have been more "meat" to the story. I did enjoy it though, I'll buy that one when it comes out. I watched it on our Fire TV the same week as the new A Star is Born, which I didn't care for at all. Shoot me, but Bradley Cooper is a terrible actor and I think Lady GaGa outshines him immensely in this one. I guess I'm just a sucker for the Kristofferson/Streisand version, the chemistry was a whole lot better.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Manson's Hidden Victims

It was a documentary explaining the possibilities that Manson and his family might have killed 35 - 50 people. That sentence accurately summarizes about an hour and half long speculation based on some loose factual information dredged up. The movie was rather dry. I didn't expect much else from it. Did not convince they did or didn't, only that a likely possibility exists. There's a likely possibility I am Jason Taggart, a humble miller from the 15th century reincarnate, too. *shrugs*

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At your door on Hulu. I thi k that was the name. Dirty bombs dropped in LA and husband wife struggles. Pretty good

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I watched the first episode of American Gods tonight. I read the book but it was a loooooooong time ago, don't really recall it too well, or actually, at all. :D Had to do something, since season 4 of Outlander is now finished. *sniff* GoT starts in April! Woohoo!

Andria

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

on Prime

Omg, fabulous and heartbreaking, what a story.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watched Widows because Bohemian Rhapsody was in the wrong language. Hopefully tonight though.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also saw Aquaman and it was just OK, Sweetie loved it because of Jason. Tonight I watched Halloween 2018.

Was pretty good since it kept to the original and I remember seeing it 40 years ago~!

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Devils Rejects, again. You know you probably should not watch it but you can't help it. You feel like you need to bathe after.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We watched First Man last night. A little dry, a little slow, but the subject is fascinating to me since I saw Apollo 11 happening on TV when I was 8 yrs old. I hate that the Saturn 5 rockets have been retired, I'll never get to see one of those monsters take off... Always wanted to. :sad:

Andria

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Devils Rejects, again. You know you probably should not watch it but you can't help it. You feel like you need to bathe after.
That's an awesome movie. Don't you like clowns? Aren't we fucking funny. My favorite part

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a movie but Netflix has new episodes of Big Mouth. Show is so funny. About pubesant teens and hormone monsters. Hilarious crude ass humor. So please be warned.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last weekend watched aquaman, loved it, watched again the next day.
Also watched Bumblebee, was ok, nothing special, transformers getting old now.

Last night watched mortal engines, strange movie, but not bad, but wouldn't rush to watch again.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Watched "Real Steel", didn't really think I would like it but it turned out to be an awesome movie. One that I would watch again.

Trailer

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wife and me keep talking about our shared reluctance to watch horror movies. It dawned on me though, I watched The Shinning at a drive thru as a kid, same with Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original). I also saw all of the Hell Raiser series, Nightmare on Elm Street series, most of Friday the 13th series of movies, Puppet Master series, Leprechaun series, Pet Cemetery, Needful Things, Faces of Death part 1, most of The Howling series of movies, Killer Clowns From Outer Space ... in short I reckon I seen a ton more horror movies than she has seen.

Never saw any of the Halloween series because I understood it dealt with a lot of domestic abuse, child abuse. Had that at home didn't need to go see it on a movie screen. Not seen any of the more recent horror flicks though. Not really wanting to as it seems they're skewed toward grind house & slasher gore style. Not sure I could still hold my tummy for them, and just not really interested after helping as an EMT one night on a bad car wreck. There were 11 in the car, only 1 survived and bless her little heart that little girl had to face knowing her whole family died that night. It was a rather visceral accident scene that um well frankly warped quite a few minds. Still swear her daddy talked to the little girl, despite knowing that such a thing would have not been possible, he was in no shape for that let's just say. Saw him talking to her even. He wanted to be sure she would be okay, same as any good daddy.

Still waiting for a few of the newer releases to get featured, Hulu, Vudu, Tubi, on something offering a free view on Roku. I'd really like to find Damnation show like that too. Not interested in Breaking Bad, Dexter, TWD, GoT, SoA. Yeah, I know we're strange in what we watch, consider though we're dork & weirdo, so it fits us being strange what we watch. I'd like to watch Connections with James Burke but it's not on any free view presently. Been kind of getting into Inside the Mind of a Killer show or Killers and Their Mothers. See what happens when Criminal Minds goes away? Ya boi goes into dry assed documentary about killers and forensics binge watching, or watching Hogan's Heroes so he says, "I waz not even here today, I know nutting, I see nutting."

Need something, much as I love myself, fucking myself is becoming mechanical and nullifying of that last gray cell or marble.Bah, we need more seasons of ..... FIREFLY! Although I think now, even that would not hook my interest. Got the television show and movie both here, both collecting dust. Oh well, I can write and escape into that. My happiness & entertainment can come from within like the change the Zen monk never got. Think she got lost pondering the gate-less gate.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watched First Man tonight and we both thought it was done well and had things we never knew about Neil Armstrong.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Watching Milk Money with Melanie Griffith.
I've seen it twice but it's a great comedy/love story.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watched the 2018 verson of Halloween.

Dude just ain't gonna die. Must be eating Activia.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's third bionic man. Michael Myers will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster." -- Oscar Goldman

The first was not Steve Austin as the show producers might want us to think, rather it was Chuck Norris in embryo state. Chuck Norris was the world's first live birthed cyborg. Oscar Goldman we must remember was involved with the Philadelphia experiment to use time travel. It was his mission to go back and alter Chuck Norris' embryo so as to have him be the first live born cyborg. "MISSION SUCCESSFUL!" See? That was the operation's name, Successful. Goldman was successful in the operation of creating a successful live born cyborg, Chuck Norris. This is why Chuck Norris is often refereed to by his code name, success.

This has been billed as the mother of all conspiracies to end all conspiracies, it is the enigma wrapped in a cloud of mystique and cover of darkness while being the unvoiced whisper that is never heard but known at everyone's very core of their being. It is the "something is wrong here" feeling we all share but cannot quite point out what exactly is wrong. We will forget it even as it is explained here. No one wants to challenge Success, he carries the great Roundhouse kick to the face. So we forget. This too explains why none of us will ever achieve success, we cannot as Chuck Norris deems it untenable. Be thankful you can still breathe and remember just because you don't see Chuck Norris, doesn't mean Chuck Norris doesn't see you.

Apologies, my levity may be out of hand. If I don't laugh it hurts is my only justification.

Last edited:

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watched the new Death Wish movie with Bruce Willis in it last night.

Sure wouldn't pay money to see it, but was ok for something to watch though.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Taken 3 last night, not bad. Aquaman at the theater a few weeks ago, not bad.

my home theater. 119" and 1000+watt each 18" subs. yep, fell down that rabbit hole.

View attachment 131103

I am so jealous. We got a 48" in 2016, and immediately said "We should have gotten a bigger one." In 2017 we got a 60"... and now are pondering how much bigger a screen will fit between our fireplace mantle and ceiling. I think a 65" or 66" might be the limit, damn it. But definitely one of the newer super-high-def, 4k or whatever it's called; we just got a Blu-Ray player for xmas, and good GAWD the definition! Just farking amazing.

We haven't been able to get stereo speakers for it, because this so-called Smart TV? Doesn't have Bluetooth! :facepalm: Maybe that's why it was on sale for $600. The 48" does have Bluetooth, and next time, we will make SURE to check for that!

Andria

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As Good as it gets...Jack Nicholson.

REALLY enjoyed that one.

I am so jealous. We got a 48" in 2016, and immediately said "We should have gotten a bigger one." In 2017 we got a 60"... and now are pondering how much bigger a screen will fit between our fireplace mantle and ceiling. I think a 65" or 66" might be the limit, damn it. But definitely one of the newer super-high-def, 4k or whatever it's called; we just got a Blu-Ray player for xmas, and good GAWD the definition! Just farking amazing.

We haven't been able to get stereo speakers for it, because this so-called Smart TV? Doesn't have Bluetooth! :facepalm: Maybe that's why it was on sale for $600. The 48" does have Bluetooth, and next time, we will make SURE to check for that!

Andria
Why not get a surround sound system? Those don't need bluetooth, and you can get decent ones cheaper than a 4K.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
REALLY enjoyed that one.

Why not get a surround sound system? Those don't need bluetooth, and you can get decent ones cheaper than a 4K.
If you have the budget for it and you follow the basic rules of speaker placement and room acoustics that apply to ANY speaker-based sound system, a surround sound setup using separate components from Emotiva.com website (their MC-700 processor hooked up to a Blu-ray player via an HDMI cable, and their passive loudspeakers powered by a matching separate multichannel power amplifier of theirs that you can hook up to the analog outputs of the MC-700) will get you the kind of sound quality that blows away even the expensive AVRs (audio video recievers) from so-called "competitive" brands like Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz. But some people can be happy with just an affordable soundbar, which is even far worse sounding than an AVR. Emotiva used to be a company that you could order stuff from via their official website only. They later changed their business model so nowadays you have the option to buy their producs from Magnolia stores and the like, but ordering factory direct is still a lot cheaper, and, their (Emotiva) customer service alone is reason enough to buy factory direct from them. They actually even sent me a replacement part under warranty completely free of charge, no shipping fee nor anything, from Franklin, Tennessee, all way to my doorstep here in Belgium, Europe. What's more, the shipping method they used for sending me this package wasn't the slowest, either. You can't find that kind of customer service anywhere else.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
REALLY enjoyed that one.

If you have the budget for it and you follow the basic rules of speaker placement and room acoustics that apply to ANY speaker-based sound system, a surround sound setup using separate components from Emotiva.com website (their MC-700 processor hooked up to a Blu-ray player via an HDMI cable, and their passive loudspeakers powered by a matching separate multichannel power amplifier of theirs that you can hook up to the analog outputs of the MC-700) will get you the kind of sound quality that blows away even the expensive AVRs (audio video recievers) from so-called "competitive" brands like Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz. But some people can be happy with just an affordable soundbar, which is even far worse sounding than an AVR. Emotiva used to be a company that you could order stuff from via their official website only. They later changed their business model so nowadays you have the option to buy their producs from Magnolia stores and the like, but ordering factory direct is still a lot cheaper, and, their (Emotiva) customer service alone is reason enough to buy factory direct from them. They actually even sent me a replacement part under warranty completely free of charge, no shipping fee nor anything, from Franklin, Tennessee, all way to my doorstep here in Belgium, Europe. What's more, the shipping method they used for sending me this package wasn't the slowest, either. You can't find that kind of customer service anywhere else.

We've thought about it, about a lot of different options, but just never done anything about it -- actually the sound quality from the TV itself (a Samsung) isn't bad *at all*, and we were just so damn peeved about it not having Bluetooth, we've just never done anything about further sound options.

My son and I have excellent hearing, my husband is about half-deaf, so just using the built-in speakers on the TV has been ok. But now that we do have that nice Blu-Ray, maybe we could do something further, using THAT, so we'd have really excellent sound for movies at least, or any series we view via streaming, since the Blu-Ray is a "smart" thing too -- a Sony, which believe it or not, was far cheaper than a Samsung Blu-Ray.

We tend to procrastinate on things like this, which is why it took us until this past xmas to get that Blu-Ray, after getting that 60" Tv in June 2017. :D

Andria

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watched the 2018 verson of Halloween.

Dude just ain't gonna die. Must be eating Activia.
I watched it a few days ago. I thought it was good for what it is. Jason will still live..watch and see. Jamie Lee Curtis will be a great, great grandma and Jason will be chasing her.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And on the topic of things being watched: American Gods! My son and I are about half thru the first season. I think I mentioned I don't recall much about it, except that I did read it, but maybe 15 yrs ago? But it's FUCKING NEIL GAIMAN, so naturally it's both weird as hell and interesting.

I saw The Expendibles when it first came out, really enjoyed it, but haven't seen the other 2. I thought I had seen the 2nd one, but my husband was watching it again the other day, and it didn't look familiar at all, so on the next showing of it, he recorded it for me, and also the 3rd one. I like pretty much all the leading men in those, but I'm a BIG fan of Jason Statham. Hope to be able to sit down and watch those soon, maybe this weekend.

Andria

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Andria

around 08 my wife needed a new tv, so we got her a 32" HD, our first. once I really saw HD, I was hooked. got myself a 32 for my office.
shortly after, I got a 65" mitsu DLP for the theater, replacing a 50' SD(standard def). then got a new 5.1 receiver and a small sub.
the 65" looked great ! about 1 month later I discovered front projection. got a high'ish end PJ, $5000 msrp, discounted to $1300 because of poor sales =it was a pita to learn to use, pretty easy for me.
and a 119" DaLite High Power 2.8 screen, the one you see there.
BAMMMMMMM !!!!!!

Blu-Ray
only for me.

next was smaller subs than you see there. but in the room they where in, not that/this one. they were SO POWERFULL you would shit your pants = I'm not kidding.
moved into this house, not so much. time for the Ultimax 18 sub. both together almost as large as your fridge, not kidding.

screw Bluetooth. but good for most folks.

oh. I also have an EMOTIVA XPA-3 first gen, 200wpc rms x3 for the front 3.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
around 08 my wife needed a new tv, so we got her a 32" HD, our first. once I really saw HD, I was hooked. got myself a 32 for my office.
shortly after, I got a 65" mitsu DLP for the theater, replacing a 50' SD(standard def). then got a new 5.1 receiver and a small sub.
the 65" looked great ! about 1 month later I discovered front projection. got a high'ish end PJ, $5000 msrp, discounted to $1300 because of poor sales =it was a pita to learn to use, pretty easy for me.
and a 119" DaLite High Power 2.8 screen, the one you see there.
BAMMMMMMM !!!!!!

Blu-Ray
only for me.

next was smaller subs than you see there. but in the room they where in, not that/this one. they were SO POWERFULL you would shit your pants = I'm not kidding.
moved into this house, not so much. time for the Ultimax 18 sub. both together almost as large as your fridge, not kidding.

screw Bluetooth. but good for most folks.

oh. I also have an EMOTIVA XPA-3 first gen, 200wpc rms x3 for the front 3.
Nice setup. I have the XPA-2 first gen, as I went for a neutral/clean 2ch dedicated music listening setup originally, and, soon after their UMC-200 processor came out, I upgraded in an affordable, minimalist kind of way by adding that and a pair of surrounds (Airmotiv powered studio monitors) to end up with a hybrid one-man 4ch setup. Hybrid = switching between a separate 2ch entry-level high end DAC and the UMC-200 internal DAC. One-man = me always sitting in the sweet spot so I'm using the so-called "phantom center" approach that actually works great for this specific purpose. The Airmotiv's sound signature is transparent and neutral also so, even though they're nearfield of course, they gel really well together with my front floorstanders (farfield) to create a surprisingly homogenous soundfield because the UMC-200 uses speaker distance settings to take care of differences in the delay. So by going for farfield in cohort with nearfield, I managed to avoid having to go for on-wall surrounds and their typical own shortcomings (room acoustics also is one).

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Nice setup.

I have the XPA-2 first gen, as I went for a neutral/clean 2ch dedicated music listening setup originally, and, soon after their UMC-200 processor came out, I upgraded in an affordable, minimalist kind of way by adding that and a pair of surrounds (Airmotiv powered studio monitors) to end up with a hybrid one-man 4ch setup. Hybrid = switching between a separate 2ch entry-level high end DAC and the UMC-200 internal DAC. One-man = me always sitting in the sweet spot so I'm using the so-called "phantom center" approach that actually works great for this specific purpose. The Airmotiv's sound signature is transparent and neutral also so, even though they're nearfield of course, they gel really well together with my front floorstanders (farfield) to create a suprisingly homogenous soundfield because the UMC-200 uses speaker distance settings to take care of differences in the delay. So by going for farfield in cohort with nearfield, I managed to avoid having to go for on-wall surrounds and their typical own shortcomings (room acoustics also is one).

thanx, it gets the job done = we LOVE it !

without pics = it didn't happen.

VU Sponsors