Become a Patron!

Whats Up With Plastic and High End Tanks?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I say people are suckers for spending around $100+++ for supposedly high end "crafted" Tanks for plastic, Examples are -
  • Doggystyle $160+ - Plastic Tank
  • Hussar $200 - Plastic Tank
  • Vapor Giant $190 - Plastic Tank
  • Wisdom $119 - Plastic Tank
  • Amon $130 - Plastic Tank
  • Pico $140 - Plastic Tank AND Plastic chamber (you've got to be fucking kidding!)
  • Sherman $95 - Plastic Tank
And the list goes on and on.

For me spending over $20 for a Tank made of plastic would piss me off, but this is ludicrous to be spending this kind of money and the tank comes in plastic? Seriously at the prices they're charging I would expect the tanks to be quarts glass made by the tears of de-flowered virgins.

I guess the old saying by PT Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute" applies here.

Edit: Corrected the listing

Last edited:

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're acting like tanks get hot or something...lol. I find it a little odd....but working around glass and poly in industrial settings and poly wins all day. Some new poly can handle 1000 degrees and doesn't transfer heat at all. I'm ok with the outside being a high quality poly but the chamber! That's nuts....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
You're acting like tanks get hot or something...lol. I find it a little odd....but working around glass and poly in industrial settings and poly wins all day. Some new poly can handle 1000 degrees and doesn't transfer heat at all. I'm ok with the outside being a high quality poly but the chamber! That's nuts....

It has little to nothing to do with the temperature and such of the plastic and more to do with the fact these companies are charging $150+ for shit that's a combined total of $15 worth of materials. Just in case that is a bit hard to understand, this is called ripping the consumer a new asshole.

Anyway, yeah, I noticed this a few years back. Regardless of how good the plastic is when it comes to not leeching into the juice or drawing heat, it's still fucking plastic. It LOOKS cheap too, because it is, it's fucking ugly. Who wants to pay an arm and a leg for a tank, only to have it look like it flew out of the bargain bin in China?

Last edited:

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's what's great about vaping, there is a product for everyone.
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear you with cost of materials....but... the outer shell is the cheapest part of the tank as a whole. On a 15 dollar tank it's $3 for the glass...on a 200 dollar tank...is a 3$ piece of glass... it's hardly cutting corners (shaving a $1 for plastic) The machining and the supply and demand of these tanks is why they are expensive. I personally don't think any tank is worth over $50. It's people paying these companies these aronious prices that are the issue....not the manufacturer.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Then of course you have reactions of the juice, like with Citrus, cinnamon, etc flavors that what they call as Tank Cracking juice.

yes @Mikhail Naumov it's ripping the customer off
I hear you with cost of materials....but... the outer shell is the cheapest part of the tank as a whole. On a 15 dollar tank it's $3 for the glass...on a 200 dollar tank...is a 3$ piece of glass... it's hardly cutting corners (shaving a $1 for plastic) The machining and the supply and demand of these tanks is why they are expensive. I personally don't think any tank is worth over $50. It's people paying these companies these aronious prices that are the issue....not the manufacturer.

Agreed the cost of decent quartz glass would only add a fraction to the overall cost, I seriously don't understand why.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Even when we do get glass, it's usually some shitty China glass that's only a light tap away from a crack. Those Calypso 30mm RTA glasses are a perfect example of this, those were the SHITTIEST glasses I've ever seen, period. Not just in vaping terms, PERIOD.

I know the glass is dirt cheap, which is why I think JUST including plastic by itself with no glass or metal tank options, it's a bit of a middle finger to the consumer because the manufacturer is charging $150+ and yet is also skimping out on including $2 materials that most $20 China tanks do.

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even when we do get glass, it's usually some shitty China glass that's only a light tap away from a crack. Those Calypso 30mm RTA glasses are a perfect example of this, those were the SHITTIEST glasses I've ever seen, period. Not just in vaping terms, PERIOD.

I know the glass is dirt cheap, which is why I think JUST including plastic by itself with no glass or metal tank options, it's a bit of a middle finger to the consumer because the manufacturer is charging $150+ and yet is also skimping out on including $2 materials that most $20 China tanks do.
Robbery

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Personally I say people are suckers for spending around $100+++ for supposedly high end "crafted" Tanks for plastic, Examples are -
  • Doggystyle $160+ - Plastic Tank AND Plastic chamber (you've got to be fucking kidding!)
  • Pico $140 - Plastic Tank

For me spending over $20 for a Tank made of plastic would piss me off, but this is ludicrous to be spending this kind of money and the tank comes in plastic? Seriously at the prices they're charging I would expect the tanks to be quarts glass made by the tears of de-flowered virgins.

I guess the old saying by PT Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute" applies here.
I had an amaretto juice eat though my original kaifun tank like 5 years ago. never again would i buy a plastic tank even if it was 10 bucks.

kiba

Member For 4 Years
I actually like ultem tanks, kind of... Broken enough glass ones. btw I thought the Doggy had a SS chamber?

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I actually like ultem tanks, kind of... Broken enough glass ones. btw I thought the Doggy had a SS chamber?

It does, not sure what r055co meant by that. Could be another version or confusion.

I don't mind plastic tanks, just don't include ONLY plastic tank options in a device that costs north of three figures. I like metal tanks with quartz glass windows personally, good flavor retention and durability to boot.

I will say, I know once an atomizer or mod is built, the material cost is MUCH lower than the retail. Part of it is buying the manufacturer's work, paying for his many hours spent slaving over a blueprint or prototype. I get that, but telling the factory to include a $1 glass or metal tank isn't going to break their bank. Having a plastic tank OPTION is fine, being limited to only a plastic tank on a $100+ device is not.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It does, not sure what r055co meant by that. Could be another version or confusion.

I don't mind plastic tanks, just don't include ONLY plastic tank options in a device that costs north of three figures. I like metal tanks with quartz glass windows personally, good flavor retention and durability to boot.

I will say, I know once an atomizer or mod is built, the material cost is MUCH lower than the retail. Part of it is buying the manufacturer's work, paying for his many hours spent slaving over a blueprint or prototype. I get that, but telling the factory to include a $1 glass or metal tank isn't going to break their bank. Having a plastic tank OPTION is fine, being limited to only a plastic tank on a $100+ device is not.
My mistake, there is another obscenely priced plastic tank that has a plastic chamber.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep, my mistake, it's the Pico that has the plastic chamber.

Corrected

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But most of those high end plastic tanks are Stab-Piss.

Ohh and you left out the Shift.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree completely. Even though I know there are more complex poly's out there it stills comes off as 'cheap' vs glass. Tank cracking is a potential issue, completely cleaning it is an issue. I'm not aware of any common poly's that won't absorb some of the substance inside it and never completely wash out. Glass on the other hand can be sterilized.

There's always the argument that glass breaks (as does plastic) and I can see the point that it shatters where plastic usually just splinters. I wouldn't want plastic to go away as an option for those who like plastic, less options always sucks. On the other hand the way I look at it, yes glass can be a bit more fragile. Then again I like to think I'm a big boy now and that means glass drinking glasses, wine glasses etc, no more plastic spill proof sippy cups I have to hold with both hands. First time I walked into a bar and saw everyone was being served in red solo cups I laughed and walked out. That crap wasn't cool at high school tailgate parties.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In all honesty I feel the same way about mods using plastic and charging an absolute fortune for it I.e the frakenskull

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In all honesty I feel the same way about mods using plastic and charging an absolute fortune for it I.e the frakenskull
+1 for that. If budget mods can turn a profit with a metal housing so can premium mods. Pros and cons to that though too I guess, all metal mods get chilly in the winter, like picking up an ice cube lol.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My mistake, there is another obscenely priced plastic tank that has a plastic chamber.
Hurricane v2 cost a lot too ,yes R an D ect play a part in costs ,
but dam 200ÂŁ for a 2ml RTA is pushing it ,
Clones identical 10ÂŁ lol

Then there's a 5ml PC clone
Slighty larger size ,. But no jfc ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They should at least offer both this would then be a user choice , of which to use , an stop people complaining about poor quality or cheaper materials used , there's always tje worry of leaching into the juices , over time

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

I find it hilarious it was cloned and sold for under $15. It's a fucking 3D printed enclosure with a simple ass single 18650 circuit wired in, all with a 510 using a 99 cent squonk pin. It's cool, it's nice looking, it's hard hitting. But it's not worth over $20. The Frakenskull literally uses about $5 if even worth of materials.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find it hilarious it was cloned and sold for under $15. It's a fucking 3D printed enclosure with a simple ass single 18650 circuit wired in, all with a 510 using a 99 cent squonk pin. It's cool, it's nice looking, it's hard hitting. But it's not worth over $20. The Frakenskull literally uses about $5 if even worth of materials.
3D printed, it's not like there's much labor involved in making it.

Another example is the Burning Tab by The Friday Morning, it's well over $200 for a simple 3D printed device. Coil Master then cloned it with the 521 Tab and sells theirs for under $40.

I support those who create but there is a limit.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
3D printed, it's not like there's much labor involved in making it.

Another example is the Burning Tab by The Friday Morning, it's well over $200 for a simple 3D printed device. Coil Master then cloned it with the 521 Tab and sells theirs for under $40.

I support those who create but there is a limit.

I agree entirely. I'll pay $100+ for a masterfully crafted device that comes with plenty of spares and such, but I'm not paying that kind of money for some cheaply slapped together bullshit, all because the creator decided he needed to charge more because he's broke.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree entirely. I'll pay $100+ for a masterfully crafted device that comes with plenty of spares and such, but I'm not paying that kind of money for some cheaply slapped together bullshit, all because the creator decided he needed to charge more because he's broke.
You must be referring to the Sherman ;)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many ejuices with Menthol will literal melt plastic its a bad idea in general and I would bet its a cost saving measure

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Some grades of plastic can hold up to anything you'll see in Ejuice without staining or leeching, but the issue is you're very unlikely to see these types of plastic being used in RTA tank sections, when the plastic tank was included to begin with to save the manufacturer money.

Lest we not forget over half of our Ejuice bottles are PLASTIC.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some grades of plastic can hold up to anything you'll see in Ejuice without staining or leeching, but the issue is you're very unlikely to see these types of plastic being used in RTA tank sections, when the plastic tank was included to begin with to save the manufacturer money.

which "some grades"?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Which don't contain Tank Cracking juice ;)

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
which "some grades"?

LDPE. That shit holds up to acid. I know it's only marked 'good' for vegetable oils, but the types of oils referred to are triglycerides which only has glycerine as a backbone, so I'd say 99% of juice is good in LDPE for one year <.

But what you want is ULDPE.

Last edited:

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It is simple...Don't buy them and you wont have anything to worry about

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coppervapes bf mech mod sqounker kit is an looks better , more solid Aluminium block milled out and only 22ÂŁ , so yeah i dont get why so much

Akrotiri

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
  • Doggystyle $160+ - Plastic Tank
  • Pico $140 - Plastic Tank AND Plastic chamber (you've got to be fucking kidding!)

Edit: Corrected the listing
I have 3 Hussars( best RTA ever imo) and they all included an Ultem tank and a stainless steel tank. Not sure about the others you listed since I don't have them.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I enjoy steel tanks, provided they have juice windows that aren't super exposed. That way you get durability and the ability to check your juice level.

I enjoy steel tanks, provided they have juice windows that aren't super exposed. That way you get durability and the ability to check your juice level.

A fine choice of plastic, the issue at hand, or windowless steel. Sounds like a slam dunk idea.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand, but it also comes with an Ultem tank which allows you to see your juice and both tanks have a capacity of 5.7ml.
Why ultim and not glass?
I think that is the point some of us are making. Is it a fashion statement?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Price is all relative to the end user; if its worth it to you, then that's all there is to it. If not, then its not. Never understood why people always have to whine about products being too expensive, everything from cars, clothes, jewelry, hobbies, etc...

Just buy what you can buy and be happy with what you get. Complaining about something being too expensive is just as douchey as bragging about being able to buy something that is IMO.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Price is all relative to the end user; if its worth it to you, then that's all there is to it. If not, then its not. Never understood why people always have to whine about products being too expensive, everything from cars, clothes, jewelry, hobbies, etc...

Just buy what you can buy and be happy with what you get. Complaining about something being too expensive is just as douchey as bragging about being able to buy something that is IMO.

People who are pointing out the absurdities of items that are ridiculously overpriced is not being douchey, it's an observation. Asking why some people pay the absurd prices is curiosity.

kiba

Member For 4 Years
You must be referring to the Sherman ;)

I think the real question we need to be asking is:

Why the fuck can't RTA/RDA manufacturers include decent fucking post screws?
Funny, my cousin's Sherman, both post plates sheared off the screws in the posts the first time he tried to build it (on just a normal sized 316L clapton), he never even got to build it lol.

Also, he dropped the plastic tank like an inch while trying to get it apart (stuck chimney) and it cracked along the threads. The thing is a mess imo.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some may think it's douchey to 'whine' about overpriced items. Almost as douchey as going into a thread where people are obviously expressing their opinion or seeking the subjective opinion of others regarding price/value vs quality if they have no interest in participating - just to call others 'douchey'. Those people who have nothing to add to the conversation, don't agree with it, don't wish to participate and jump into a thread purely to bitch at others and accusing them of bitching. Just a thought.

VU Sponsors