Become a Patron!

Which high CDR batteries are good for mech?

VapeMate

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello VU,
I'm here back again with some questions.
i've been using samsung 20r for a while now and i'm quite satisfied with it's cdr and capacity
it performs as expected on my regulated 50w mod
now i'm gonna buy my mech but before that i wanna make sure i know everything abt it
i'm pretty good with ohm's law and things related to resistance wires
now i'm looking for a good battery for high drain
a friend has recommended me awt imr18650 which is rated for 40A and 3000mAh
here it is:
upload_2017-12-31_1-35-51.png

well it's drain rate and capacity is awesome, but it's too cheap here
i'm suspected that the 40A rating is not true or it isn't CDR

i'm asking you guys to help me solve this and find a good battery
thanks in advance

VapeMate

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thank you so much for your quick and helpful answers.
i'll try to find a VTC5A quickly

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And most all the time the good batteries from a reputable online store are quite a bit cheaper than the trash re-wraps from the B&M even figuring in shipping.
think I paid less than $7 per cell including shipping for 4 VTC5A's.

spr258

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And if you are placing an order you should throw in some battery wraps and insulators in case you get a cut in the battery wrap.

spr258

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Carabrda that is what I will have shortly. Have two vtc5 and two vtc5a and after using the a for a while figured might as well order me 3 more. Looks like you have one for every day of the week

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Carabrda that is what I will have shortly. Have two vtc5 and two vtc5a and after using the a for a while figured might as well order me 3 more. Looks like you have one for every day of the week
Well I also have 6× Ijoy 5-legged 20700 and 4× Ijoy 26650 so I'm closer to one battery for every day of the month, but if I wanted to fill up all my mods, then I would need to buy an additional 29 batteries... and I haven't even been vaping for an entire year.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 40A rating is likely pulse rating. Even my big HΩ Grown 4307mAh 26650 battery I use for my HΩ Slice only does 32.6A maximum, but they can pulse at 51.6A. You're not going to be vaping on an unregulated device at 40A on those batteries for long and continue to have all your fingers intact. Obviously, you're already familiar with Ohm's Law, so I shall not go into that.

What you're looking for is a CDR (Continuous Discharge Rating). I'd be willing to bet that's around 15 to 20A, somewhere in there. Why is the CDR important? Because that is the highest CONTINUOUS power draw the manufacturer has successfully tested on your batteries without overloading. Assuming you had the inclination to do so, you could vape the battery dry as long as you stay below the CDR (although your mod and/or tank might run a bit hot), whereas if you go with the pulse rating, you'll likely have an overload if you hold the fire button for an extended amount of time. Overload = vented batteries.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
vtc5a are good 25 amp batteries
vtc6 or 30q if you stay under 19 amps, they have more mah

LG HB6 have a 30+ amp rating verified by mooch, but keep in mind their chemistry means if they fail, it'll be more spectacular than a failing vtc5a or 30q

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hehe, I'd love to see one of those go... in a CONTROLLED environment, of course!

As nasty as venting batteries can be, I still get a kick out of the fireworks sometimes. I guess I'm easily entertained, LOL!

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only one VTC5A battery?? Damn... lol

batteries-jpg.99696
]

:eek:
Are you building your own Tesla?

spr258

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only one VTC5A battery?? Damn... lol

View attachment 99696

My wife always gives me shit when I get some more vape mail. Not that I have as much as many other member but I have 6 attys, 5 mods, and 9 batteries. They all do something different. She thinks I have bought to many things and I just show her some of the pics online of peoples collection and say "at least I am not smoking and still saving money in the long run."

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The best I've used so far for low builds have been the vapcell blacks.. Mooch rated them as a true 30amp continuous with a max 38amp discharge rate, he seemed to be pretty impressed with them.. Here's what he said: "While this Vapcell has a lower capacity rating than the VTC5A it holds its voltage up better at high current levels. This makes it about equal to the VTC5A in total running time down to 3.2V. The Vapcell hits a touch harder than the VTC5A at the start but the VTC5A runs for a touch longer. I’m not sure you’ll see a difference in actual use though. The Vapcell does run cooler than the VTC5A and this can help extend overall battery life when used at very high current levels." - Mooch. ;) i usually do 0.09 - 0.1 builds, and they barely get warm after chain vaping..

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The best I've used so far for low builds have been the vapcell blacks.. Mooch rated them as a true 30amp continuous with a max 38amp discharge rate, he seemed to be pretty impressed with them.. Here's what he said: "While this Vapcell has a lower capacity rating than the VTC5A it holds its voltage up better at high current levels. This makes it about equal to the VTC5A in total running time down to 3.2V. The Vapcell hits a touch harder than the VTC5A at the start but the VTC5A runs for a touch longer. I’m not sure you’ll see a difference in actual use though. The Vapcell does run cooler than the VTC5A and this can help extend overall battery life when used at very high current levels." - Mooch. ;) i usually do 0.09 - 0.1 builds, and they barely get warm after chain vaping..
On a single 18650 tube mech I usually change out my VTC5A battery the moment the resting voltage reaches about 3.7 volts. On Mooch's pulsed current discharge graph, that would equate to 18× 5 second pulls. My pulls don't last 5 seconds of course, but no matter still, you can see at that point the running voltage I'm getting is still about 3.2 volts. For the Vapcell Black, that would correspond to about 15.5× 5 second pulls, so yeah, only about 14 percent less runtime isn't that much, I agree. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/a...00mah-18650-pulse-tests-vs-others-jpg.694687/
However, if you look more closely at Mooch's comparison test (zoomed graph), you'll notice the VTC5A already catches up after only 7 out of the aforementioned 18× 5 second pulls. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/a...8650-pulse-tests-vs-others-zoomed-jpg.694689/
So... about 61 percent of the total time, the VTC5A is running at a higher voltage than the Vapcell Black. And that is in addition to the longer runtime of the VTC5A so hopefully now you'll understand why I chain vape at 0.08 on a single IJoy 5-legged 20700 instead of a single Vapcell Black. ;)

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On a single 18650 tube mech I usually change out my VTC5A battery the moment the resting voltage reaches about 3.7 volts. On Mooch's pulsed current discharge graph, that would equate to 18× 5 second pulls. My pulls don't last 5 seconds of course, but no matter still, you can see at that point the running voltage I'm getting is still about 3.2 volts. For the Vapcell Black, that would correspond to about 15.5× 5 second pulls, so yeah, only about 14 percent less runtime isn't that much, I agree. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/a...00mah-18650-pulse-tests-vs-others-jpg.694687/
However, if you look more closely at Mooch's comparison test (zoomed graph), you'll notice the VTC5A already catches up after only 7 out of the aforementioned 18× 5 second pulls. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/a...8650-pulse-tests-vs-others-zoomed-jpg.694689/
So... about 61 percent of the total time, the VTC5A is running at a higher voltage than the Vapcell Black. And that is in addition to the longer runtime of the VTC5A so hopefully now you'll understand why I chain vape at 0.08 on a single IJoy 5-legged 20700 instead of a single Vapcell Black. ;)

Yeah good point, i agree.. But i do feel a little bit more safer with the extra amps tho.. That's why i mainly prefer the vapcells for "low builds" that's basically it. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah good point, i agree.. But i do feel a little bit more safer with the extra amps tho.. That's why i mainly prefer the vapcells for "low builds" that's basically it. :)
Sure, I understand. The Vapcell Black is 30 amps CDR so it truly is safer, and so I wasn't trying to argue against that. It's also an 18650 so it is compatible with many more different mods compared to a 20700. But what I'm trying to explain is the Ijoy 5-legged 20700 as well as all the other rewraps (Efest/Ampking/EBAT/EnerCig) of this same battery (Molicel 20700) are 30 amps CDR also, as is the Sanyo NCR20700A (as well as the Vapcell Gold, which is a rewrap of the latter, with identical performance). So at the end of the day they all also are safer.

One (IMO) important difference is they [all these 20700 batteries] hit noticeably less hard at the start compared to both the Vapcell Black and the VTC5A, but on the flip side they catch up on the VTC5A fairly quick, and catch up on the Vapcell Black even much quicker still, AND, their runtime is longer instead of shorter compared to the VTC5A. For me, especially if vaping at higher amps, the runtime of the VTC5A is already pretty short to begin with. That's why I don't like to sacrifice runtime in exchange for extra safety... especially not when the reality is I can get BOTH extra runtime instead of an even shorter runtime AND extra safety. So the fact the Vapcell Black hits hardest at the start is just not as important to me, mostly because of how fast the other ones catch up on it─and because I'm not interested in trying to win a cloud chasing comp.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sony VTC5a's are IMO the best 18650 available, especially for Mech's. The balance of Amps and mAh.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sony VTC5a's are IMO the best 18650 available, especially for Mech's. The balance of Amps and mAh.

Exactly. If 25 amps CDR isn't enough to feel safe enough, then people outside of a comp should likely consider moving away from the 18650 format instead of obsessing too much over the fact right now the two hardest hitting batteries available to consumers happen to be 18650, and, another thing to also consider is there exist other ways to get to higher volts, like, grabbing a series mech and or grabbing a regulated mod that holds more batteries as well as that can support power curves, I digress.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly. If 25 amps CDR isn't enough to feel safe enough, then people outside of a comp should likely consider moving away from the 18650 format instead of obsessing too much over the fact right now the two hardest hitting batteries available to consumers happen to be 18650, and, another thing to also consider is there exist other ways to get to higher volts, like, grabbing a series mech and or grabbing a regulated mod that holds more batteries as well as that can support power curves, I digress.
Yep, they hit wonderfully. If you have the knowledge to push them further they are perfect that. But key point is "if" you have the knowledge for that. Me, stick with CDR. Personally I see absolutely zero need to push further than CDR.

VU Sponsors