Become a Patron!

Why Isn't Anyone Using our New Marketplace Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just used the marketplace for a purchase last night. Seems odd. You have to commit to a purchase without any other communication with the seller. That felt wrong. I want to ask questions, make an offer, see more pictures.
When I did commit, I was then told I'd have to wait for the seller to contact me in regard to paying. Now, really that's not so different than the usual back and forth of a deal, but why are you in the middle of it now?
Honestly, it feels clunkly. If there are reasons, I'd like to hear them.
The purchase still has not been finalized, so I can't speak to the smoothness of that aspect, but at present, my experience has not been as enjoyable as the regular sales forum.
As far as communication with seller... that's what the "join the discussion" tab is for. The discussion thread is attached to that sale only and only viewed by those who have clicked the "join the discussion" button.

1599486014973.png

1599486090211.png

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Pami, you guys really need to nix this idea - it's just not going to work. As I've mentioned before, if you really want to move away from the Trading Post section into something better, then you need something that's better than what's currently offered, and the RM Marketplace software just ain't it. Again - take a look at Classifieds for Xenforo by NixFifty.

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Pretty much held your hand and walked you through it, yet it STILL says "Resources". Almost seems like you're TRYING to make this not work, and then complain about it because it's not working.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the other one do chef? ...you mentioned it on the previous page as an alternative

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
What’s the other one do chef? ...you mentioned it on the previous page as an alternative
Classifieds by NixFifty is a dedicated buy/sell/trade addon. Built from the ground up just for that purpose. The current one VU is using (RM Marketplace) just takes the Resources addon and tries to adapt it to a marketplace - poorly, at that. Resources is meant for software - whether downloads, sales, updates or collaborations. That's what it was built for, NOT a marketplace for non-software sales.

1. What is the Resource Manager?
The Resouce Manager is a XenForo add-on that allows you to manage resources such as files and tutorials or other article-like content along side your normal forum. The aim is allow content such as files to be listed with a focus on the initial content rather than discussion surrounding it. Users can watch resources and be updated whenever a new version is released.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classifieds by NixFifty is a dedicated buy/sell/trade addon. Built from the ground up just for that purpose. The current one VU is using (RM Marketplace) just takes the Resources addon and tries to adapt it to a marketplace - poorly, at that. Resources is meant for software - whether downloads, sales, updates or collaborations. That's what it was built for, NOT a marketplace for non-software sales.

how do you integrate it with a current feedback system? also transactions how is that handled with the add on doesn’t mention that in the notes?

is the location API optional?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
how do you integrate it with a current feedback system? also transactions how is that handled with the add on doesn’t mention that in the notes?

is the location API optional?
You can read all that in the link I provided for the software.

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CrazyChef v2.0 your instructions only tell how to replace the menu name item's title, there is over 200 phrases to replace alone for the main phrase of Resource, it's not as even close to as simple as you think.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
@CrazyChef v2.0 your instructions only tell how to replace the menu name item's title, there is over 200 phrases to replace alone for the main phrase of Resource, it's not as even close to as simple as you think.
Yes, but it's a start. At least the menu would show something more coherent than just "Resources". There's also a find/replace utility available. It really isn't that hard to do. And while I have your attention, what is the reasoning for using the RM Marketplace wannabe software instead of the real thing?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Okay, just did a test. Replaced EVERY instance of Resources, resources, Resource, and resource with Files, files, File, and file. Took about 10 minutes to replace 214 total instances using the find/replace Chrome extension. This includes the back end as well.
The only thing I didn't change was the URL, which I just noticed and will take care of later.

Also, I did a basic installation of the NixFifty Classifieds addon:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
@CJ So... Do you need a hand? I can volunteer, but not too much. Just a few pointers here and there.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm wondering why no one is using our new Marketplace yet?

My guess?

Humans are creatures of habit so they don't generally like change unless they see a necessity for it. That's why a lot of job ads say things like "must be able to deal with workplace changes" or something like that.

So because the new marketplace isn't seeing a lot of love using a democratic approach (ie. let each individual freely choose what they like best), if VU wants or needs us to transition to the new system exclusively, then it will have to be a forced change.

When people are forced to get used to something, they will (albeit not without some boooooing and hissing :giggle:, but that's to be expected when you deal with the public at large ).

I don't believe a forced change will have a huge negative impact because the alternatives I see are not exactly that great. I can only imagine that the one or 2 dedicated vape trading sites out there are just full of scammer (though I never tried them, but looking around tells me to just not deal there). And as far as the other forum is concerned, not a whole lot of action there unless your selling Provaris, Reos or high class stuff (that's my expeirence).

But before a forced transition is made, it would be a good idea to take a step back and really take and honest look at the benefits of the new system first then compare it to what people are comfortable with now. Sometimes what we humans think are benefits are not really benefits at all - we just get caught up in the newness of things and get blinded.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4045d8a00db16cee30d76d91738a45ca.jpg

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Pami, is the Resale Resources area fully functional? I'd like to put a few things for sale soon. I'll post them here and post the links in Hardware to redirect. Just a thought.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Pami, is the Resale Resources area fully functional? I'd like to put a few things for sale soon. I'll post them here and post the links in Hardware to redirect. Just a thought.
It is fully operational, but I cannot say if anyone is actually looking at it.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
It is fully operational, but I cannot say if anyone is actually looking at it.
Okay. We'll see what happens. When people check out are the payments processed as Goods and Services with PayPal?

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Okay. We'll see what happens. When people check out are the payments processed as Goods and Services with PayPal?
That's up to you. But with Paypal cracking down on vaping I certainly wouldn't put any words related to it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just had a thought and with Daily Life, People Do Not Like Change and with the Pandemic it is just one more thing to stress people out. Remember now this is just something that occurred to me when I saw this thread in New Posts. It was enough for me to get used to the New Forum Format.

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just had a thought and with Daily Life, People Do Not Like Change and with the Pandemic it is just one more thing to stress people out. Remember now this is just something that occurred to me when I saw this thread in New Posts. It was enough for me to get used to the New Forum Format.
On a mobile device click the 3 bars on the top left of the screen. Then scroll down to Resources. There you will find what you seek.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you see the Vaping Underground logo at the top of your screen? Just to the left of the logo are 3 diagonal bars...

Are you on something? I do not need to find anything. I gave my opinion on why people aren't using the Marketplace and if you keep quoting me I will have to Ignore you.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hey y'all!

So I'm wondering why no one is using our new Marketplace yet? ?
https://vapingunderground.com/resources/categories/personal-small-business.2/

The new marketplace makes it sooooo much easier for multiple item sales. You can create a profile so you don't have to type all the same info into every post. It works with our feedback system. There are many benefits to using it.

So, I'd like to know your thoughts on why you haven't tried it out yet? ?
Might also help it you remove references to test.
Like many others, I’m a creature of habit. If you really want it to move to the new area you will likely need to shut down the old. With so many active listings in the old area you should administratively move them to the new area. Just my $0.02 worth (if even that).

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey CJ - Why does it STILL say "Resources" 11 months after I held your hand and walked you through how to fix it?
I went ahead and took the time to modify all phrases and the urls for the resources section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors