Become a Patron!

Wire “starter pack”

Hi Everyone, I read through the coil building for beginners thread, and have built some basic 26g kanthal coils, they work fine. One of my RTAs came with some pre built claptons, and I would like to try making some. I saw it was recommended to get some 26g, 28g, 36g, and 38g wire to start, but it didn’t mention if it should be kanthal, nichrome, or stainless. If you were to design a “starter pack” for wire, what would that look like for both gauges and materials? Also, if you could only buy two spools, what would you get? Thanks!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
didn’t mention if it should be kanthal, nichrome, or stainless.
How do you vape? MTL, mouth to lung like a cigarette? DL, direct lung? Do you vape with low watts or higher watts? Do you use temperature control?

MTL - higher resistance and low watts, Kanthal and maybe nichrome
Restricted DL to DL - lower resistance and mid to higher watts - Nichrome or stainless and maybe kanthal
Temp control - stainless

WireOptim is having a 40% off sale through tomorrow and they carry all three kinds plus pre-made Clapton wires and coils. https://wireoptim.com/

How do you vape? MTL, mouth to lung like a cigarette? DL, direct lung? Do you vape with low watts or higher watts? Do you use temperature control?

MTL - higher resistance and low watts, Kanthal and maybe nichrome
Restricted DL to DL - lower resistance and mid to higher watts - Nichrome or stainless and maybe kanthal
Temp control - stainless

WireOptim is having a 40% off sale through tomorrow and they carry all three kinds plus pre-made Clapton wires and coils. https://wireoptim.com/
I vape both MTL and DL. I started using my Cerberus tank when my Ares II needed to be re-wicked and found out I like DL. My wife prefers MTL, so I will build for both. I have a Zeus X on the way to build on for DL, and my MTL tanks are the Ares II and Berserker. We haven’t used temp control yet. Kind of torn between just going all kanthal, or picking up some Kanthal and nichrome. I run the Cerberus between 40-50w and the MTL tanks at 15-25w. My mod is a single 18650, and I have the Sony vtc4 batteries, so I would be vaping under 70w in any case.

MyMagicMist

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Kind of torn between just going all kanthal, or picking up some Kanthal and nichrome.

Difficult going "wrong" with kanthal. Sure, other kinds of wire for other specific purposes. Kanthal is a good "all around" wire though.

Would probably get some 26 and 28 gauge of it to start. Take that with a pinch though. I'm a curmudgeon bent upon staying simple. Seems you're more into the whiz bang, all bells and whistles.

Nothing wrong in either case, merely is what is.

VU Sponsors