Become a Patron!

Wire “starter pack”

Hi Everyone, I read through the coil building for beginners thread, and have built some basic 26g kanthal coils, they work fine. One of my RTAs came with some pre built claptons, and I would like to try making some. I saw it was recommended to get some 26g, 28g, 36g, and 38g wire to start, but it didn’t mention if it should be kanthal, nichrome, or stainless. If you were to design a “starter pack” for wire, what would that look like for both gauges and materials? Also, if you could only buy two spools, what would you get? Thanks!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
didn’t mention if it should be kanthal, nichrome, or stainless.
How do you vape? MTL, mouth to lung like a cigarette? DL, direct lung? Do you vape with low watts or higher watts? Do you use temperature control?

MTL - higher resistance and low watts, Kanthal and maybe nichrome
Restricted DL to DL - lower resistance and mid to higher watts - Nichrome or stainless and maybe kanthal
Temp control - stainless

WireOptim is having a 40% off sale through tomorrow and they carry all three kinds plus pre-made Clapton wires and coils. https://wireoptim.com/

How do you vape? MTL, mouth to lung like a cigarette? DL, direct lung? Do you vape with low watts or higher watts? Do you use temperature control?

MTL - higher resistance and low watts, Kanthal and maybe nichrome
Restricted DL to DL - lower resistance and mid to higher watts - Nichrome or stainless and maybe kanthal
Temp control - stainless

WireOptim is having a 40% off sale through tomorrow and they carry all three kinds plus pre-made Clapton wires and coils. https://wireoptim.com/
I vape both MTL and DL. I started using my Cerberus tank when my Ares II needed to be re-wicked and found out I like DL. My wife prefers MTL, so I will build for both. I have a Zeus X on the way to build on for DL, and my MTL tanks are the Ares II and Berserker. We haven’t used temp control yet. Kind of torn between just going all kanthal, or picking up some Kanthal and nichrome. I run the Cerberus between 40-50w and the MTL tanks at 15-25w. My mod is a single 18650, and I have the Sony vtc4 batteries, so I would be vaping under 70w in any case.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Kind of torn between just going all kanthal, or picking up some Kanthal and nichrome.

Difficult going "wrong" with kanthal. Sure, other kinds of wire for other specific purposes. Kanthal is a good "all around" wire though.

Would probably get some 26 and 28 gauge of it to start. Take that with a pinch though. I'm a curmudgeon bent upon staying simple. Seems you're more into the whiz bang, all bells and whistles.

Nothing wrong in either case, merely is what is.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Simple round wire and single or dual core claptons to start out. Do you have a coil winding tool? They are very handy but you can also make spaced coils very easily (I use the second method):
Kanthal and Nichrome are good (no TC needed) but many people like SS even for power mode (it's the only one that can be used with or without TC)
Please don't confuse Nichrome (Ni80) for Nickel (N200) Some people have issues with it (I haven't tried it and don't want to) Also try a few coils at 3mm ID

Simple round wire and single or dual core claptons to start out. Do you have a coil winding tool? They are very handy but you can also make spaced coils very easily (I use the second method):
Kanthal and Nichrome are good (no TC needed) but many people like SS even for power mode (it's the only one that can be used with or without TC)
Please don't confuse Nichrome (Ni80) for Nickel (N200) Some people have issues with it (I haven't tried it and don't want to) Also try a few coils at 3mm ID
I sure do, I have the coil master kit which is awesome. I ended up going all Kanthal. My order from wire optimum came in a couple of weeks ago, I managed to get in on their sale. Ended up with 250’ each of 26g, 28g, 36g, 38g, and 100’ of 0.4x0.1mm flat ribbon wire.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Everyone, I read through the coil building for beginners thread, and have built some basic 26g kanthal coils, they work fine. One of my RTAs came with some pre built claptons, and I would like to try making some. I saw it was recommended to get some 26g, 28g, 36g, and 38g wire to start, but it didn’t mention if it should be kanthal, nichrome, or stainless. If you were to design a “starter pack” for wire, what would that look like for both gauges and materials? Also, if you could only buy two spools, what would you get? Thanks!
Those are the sizes I'd suggest getting as well. The metal type is totally up to you. I mainly use N80 but have a bit of everything.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I sure do, I have the coil master kit which is awesome. I ended up going all Kanthal. My order from wire optimum came in a couple of weeks ago, I managed to get in on their sale. Ended up with 250’ each of 26g, 28g, 36g, 38g, and 100’ of 0.4x0.1mm flat ribbon wire.
I just bought a bunch again from Coil Clout. They're having a 40% off (of rolls) sale. Wire Optim is good wire though.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Think they use from TemCo. May be incorrect but is what I think. Agree though they do have have good wire regardless. Have ordered just a little from them.
I've read a few complaints about their SS but I don't really buy any of that from there. A few people were all agreeing about how bad it was which surprised me. Their N80 has been good.

I learned how to spin using Kidney Puncher wire. I had to get used to the smaller rolls most other places use. I still prefer a larger center hole on the spools but oh well. Since Kidney Puncher went away and rebranded to KP, I haven't bought any of their wires. I never hear about them having sales any more and the quality at Coil Society, Coil Clout, and Wire Optim has been fine. If the new "KP wires" wants my business, they're gonna need to compete with the prices of the places I mentioned. Run an occasional sale at least.

VU Sponsors