Become a Patron!

Are you a 'Biker' or a 'Rider'

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
there is a difference. Not just in are you the one in control of the bike or the one riding one up. If you dont know the difference in terms, the one in control duh 'driver' one up, passenger. But do you ride? I do. I ride a Harley. No i'm not rich, not its not brand new. I've riden bikes since I've been about 5 and I'm 34 now. Damn, I'm old. I prospected for a club. I was able to part ways with the club as I found it was not what was told it was. I would love to still join an MC. Yes there are MC(motorcycle clubs) that are not 1%er. the one I prospected was NOT a 1%er club. I could not ride with those guys as I have a family that depends on me too much otherwise I'd consider it. Anyway, I still ride with some of the guys from the club. Since I dropped out, there were SEVERAL other prospects who followed suit. As did a few patch memebers. Non-the-less I still talk to several of the patch memebers just not on a club level. I also am good friends with many of them....mostly the ones who turned in their cuts. But my point of this post was to see if many of ya'll ride. To me if your on 2 wheels and it aint a moped your good. As far as a 'biker' my dad rides a harley, infact he's got 2. a newer one a 78 FLH. He rides for fun. He rides when he can.
ME i ride for fun, for transportation, because I LOVE TO RIDE. I will always have a bike. Its my therapy. To me, I lean towards biker, yea i wear leathers, no brain bucket. My dad, no leathers, always wears a brain bucket.

either way bottom line i guess i shoulda said who all rides?

hope this makes sense to ya'll............

Last edited:

Nitrowolf72

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Makes sense to me. I ride a harley also and like you I'm not rich (hell its an antique this year). Lol. 85 Softail with last year of kickstart and first year of the evo. Never prospected but have rode with several clubs over the years to different events. I love to ride but I don't need someone telling me when I have to go or how fast I have to go and if I don't go I've gotta pay a fine to the club. Other than that I enjoy riding, like you said its therapy. Keep your knees in the breeze and the shiny side up.

Sent from my LGL35G

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Makes sense to me. I ride a harley also and like you I'm not rich (hell its an antique this year). Lol. 85 Softail with last year of kickstart and first year of the evo. Never prospected but have rode with several clubs over the years to different events. I love to ride but I don't need someone telling me when I have to go or how fast I have to go and if I don't go I've gotta pay a fine to the club. Other than that I enjoy riding, like you said its therapy. Keep your knees in the breeze and the shiny side up.

Sent from my LGL35G

the club i was prospecting for didnt fine ya, but hell in group rides a few of the prospects couldnt ride for shit. I dont wanna get too much into club business..... didnt like that feeling at ALL. i do howver enjoy ridin with a few close friends. as you said, keep'er rubber side down!!

Last edited:

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't ride as much as I used to, but still have a 1958 Panhead, and a Buell. (Hence the name wabah58) I was raised building and riding bar hoppers, so when I stopped drinking the riding was reduced a lot :(

Here is a pic of my Pan and a shovel that I built for a customer, when i was working for s shop.

Picture 002.jpg

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't ride as much as I used to, but still have a 1958 Panhead, and a Buell. (Hence the name wabah58) I was raised building and riding bar hoppers, so when I stopped drinking the riding was reduced a lot :(

Here is a pic of my Pan and a shovel that I built for a customer, when i was working for s shop.

View attachment 12190

nice ass bike man............

Nitrowolf72

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sweet rides!

Sent from my LGL35G

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Been riding street bikes for 27 years. Started riding dirt bikes when I was 10. Been riding Harleys since around 96. I ride all year as long as there is not snow, ice or residual salt on the road. I live in the Mid-Atlantic region so we actually have a winter. I have rode down as low as -2°. Which equates to around -25° when you factor in speed. I don't chicken out in the rain. In fact I rode to a rally 3 hours away a few years ago in the rain. Plans were made. Money spent. Not gonna let some falling water change that. I am friends with many club members including 1%'ers. Have no problem with them. Just not the lifestyle I would choose to lead.

Am I a biker??? Who the hell knows. That is such a loosely used term. Some people classify anyone that rides as a biker. Some only classify those that live on the road and sleep in the woods and live the whole lifestyle as true bikers. It is all a label.

So to avoid that I consider myself a motorcycle enthusiast.

angus67

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
....motorcycle enthusiast.
I had dirt bikes when I was a kid thru the eighties, then moved to the city, so bikes became the pedal variety. Then in 2004 I started working on my credit and got my first loan on a 2003 suzuki marauder. still have it. done some custom attachments to it, apes , fender, carb work. Then I got a basketcase 1980 Yamaha xs650. Rebuilt that motor, hardtailed it.
So I am I motorcycle enthusiast. I don't belong to a club, nor do I stop and bs with a group of riders at a gas station. I ride alone. occassionaly, some one will end up behind me ,or I will end up behind some one, but if only for a few miles.
Im just happy with the bikes I have. Makes It a lot easier to know them inside and out. If I find a cheap beater, I don't care what kind it is. I fix, and learn all I can about that one.

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No brain bucket?...I would say yes a Biker you are :)

Hoot. "No" brain bucket isn't entirely accurate. At last count I think I own six and I'm eye'n a Shark Evoline 3. If it's raining or cold ... you can bet my little brain's bucketed. And, if knee dragging is on the menu ... you can bet my brain's bucketed. If I'm heading east, there is probably a bucket in the kit somewhere. Louisiana has friends, family, gambling and a helmet law.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been riding street bikes for 27 years. Started riding dirt bikes when I was 10. Been riding Harleys since around 96. I ride all year as long as there is not snow, ice or residual salt on the road. I live in the Mid-Atlantic region so we actually have a winter. I have rode down as low as -2°. Which equates to around -25° when you factor in speed. I don't chicken out in the rain. In fact I rode to a rally 3 hours away a few years ago in the rain. Plans were made. Money spent. Not gonna let some falling water change that. I am friends with many club members including 1%'ers. Have no problem with them. Just not the lifestyle I would choose to lead.

Am I a biker??? Who the hell knows. That is such a loosely used term. Some people classify anyone that rides as a biker. Some only classify those that live on the road and sleep in the woods and live the whole lifestyle as true bikers. It is all a label.

So to avoid that I consider myself a motorcycle enthusiast.
im friends with 1%ers and diamond 13 n other club members. i too am not i to the lifestyle of a 1%er. i am not affraid of rain, cold, hell weather in general. do i have a cage yup. do i enjoy it sure, not as much as my Harely but u my friend are a biker in my eyes. 15 grand and 500 miles doesnt make u a biker. u go to ralleys, u love to ride. i wld gladly call u brother.

sent from tapatalk with a tiny keyboard. so typos are gonna happe sorry

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
....motorcycle enthusiast.
I had dirt bikes when I was a kid thru the eighties, then moved to the city, so bikes became the pedal variety. Then in 2004 I started working on my credit and got my first loan on a 2003 suzuki marauder. still have it. done some custom attachments to it, apes , fender, carb work. Then I got a basketcase 1980 Yamaha xs650. Rebuilt that motor, hardtailed it.
So I am I motorcycle enthusiast. I don't belong to a club, nor do I stop and bs with a group of riders at a gas station. I ride alone. occassionaly, some one will end up behind me ,or I will end up behind some one, but if only for a few miles.
Im just happy with the bikes I have. Makes It a lot easier to know them inside and out. If I find a cheap beater, I don't care what kind it is. I fix, and learn all I can about that one.
if the state requires i wear it, sometimes evevn a D.O.T. approved. course i do have a novelty with a store nougnt D.O.T. sticker.......cold depends on how cold.......below 32 yup......kf its a lond ride.
shit i ha e a 2004 wide glide that im thinkin bout puttin a springer front end amd rigid ass end. idk.....pipe dreams.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
im friends with 1%ers and diamond 13 n other club members. i too am not i to the lifestyle of a 1%er. i am not affraid of rain, cold, hell weather in general. do i have a cage yup. do i enjoy it sure, not as much as my Harely but u my friend are a biker in my eyes. 15 grand and 500 miles doesnt make u a biker. u go to ralleys, u love to ride. i wld gladly call u brother.

LMAO 500 miles??? I have done that in a day many times over. I just bought a new bike in September and had put over 1k on it the first week.. I average anywhere from 6-12k miles a year. Depending on what kind of year it is. I had very little ride time in 2014 because of a wrist injury and subsequent surgery. I used to work at a place where there were 5 other people that rode. Three of them had their bikes (Road Kings) for at least 7 years and the most one of them had is 12k miles. One had 5k. They would not ride if it was under 65° at most. And the messed up part is they all lived within 5 miles from work. I had an hour commute. For some it is a novelty, mid-life crisis toy or a conversation piece. I don't buy bikes to sit and look pretty. I buy them to ride.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LMAO 500 miles??? I have done that in a day many times over. I just bought a new bike in September and had put over 1k on it the first week.. I average anywhere from 6-12k miles a year. Depending on what kind of year it is. I had very little ride time in 2014 because of a wrist injury and subsequent surgery. I used to work at a place where there were 5 other people that rode. Three of them had their bikes (Road Kings) for at least 7 years and the most one of them had is 12k miles. One had 5k. They would not ride if it was under 65° at most. And the messed up part is they all lived within 5 miles from work. I had an hour commute. For some it is a novelty, mid-life crisis toy or a conversation piece. I don't buy bikes to sit and look pretty. I buy them to ride.
thats awesome. i ride around 20k pkus a year. now a buddy of mine, retired at 40 does cross country all the time. in no means am i close to that but id love too. i bougt mh bike for the love of the ride, wind in my face. hell my dad n i ride together when we can. shit my lil bro too when hes not deployed.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
thats awesome. i ride around 20k pkus a year. now a buddy of mine, retired at 40 does cross country all the time. in no means am i close to that but id love too. i bougt mh bike for the love of the ride, wind in my face. hell my dad n i ride together when we can. shit my lil bro too when hes not deployed.

See that is where I might have to turn in my biker card. LOL I like riding with a fairing and enjoy listening to tunes once in a while. Forgot to state that before. Real bikers don't ride behind fairings. Or so they say. I could care less. I have had spinal and 2 shoulder surgeries. The wind beating against my upper body for long periods of time is very fatiguing and makes riding not so enjoyable. I had a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that I had to sell because of divorce. Went out and bought a Road King. Took a ride without the windshield and regretted it for days. I do like wind in my face and use a shield that I look over. But I just need that upper torso protection.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
See that is where I might have to turn in my biker card. LOL I like riding with a fairing and enjoy listening to tunes once in a while. Forgot to state that before. Real bikers don't ride behind fairings. Or so they say. I could care less. I have had spinal and 2 shoulder surgeries. The wind beating against my upper body for long periods of time is very fatiguing and makes riding not so enjoyable. I had a 2013 Road Glide Ultra that I had to sell because of divorce. Went out and bought a Road King. Took a ride without the windshield and regretted it for days. I do like wind in my face and use a shield that I look over. But I just need that upper torso protection.
i have a wind shield somewhere.......i hate it. i have had shoulder surgery....brome my shoulder blade i. 3 places have 6 plates in it and collar bone. to ride with a fairing radio heated grips coffee maker and so on.........idk........u may have to turn it i sorry.......hahahahahahahahaha jk.

Uve been thro more granted.......

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first real street bike was a '78 BMW R100RS. Great bike, put 100K miles on it before I sold it. Now I've got a 2001 Iron Horse Tejas, ride it when I can and take plenty of long multi-state tours with a small group of buddies. My wife has a 2014 Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V, she traded in her ragged out Silverwing (fucking POS, I was always wrenching on the damn thing!). That Moto Guzzi Norge GT 8V is a nice touring bike.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
i have a wind shield somewhere.......i hate it. i have had shoulder surgery....brome my shoulder blade i. 3 places have 6 plates in it and collar bone. to ride with a fairing radio heated grips coffee maker and so on.........idk........u may have to turn it i sorry.......hahahahahahahahaha jk.

Uve been thro more granted.......

Haha. Naaa no heated grips, seat or even heated gear for me. When I ride in the cold I bundle up. I like my tunes when on a commute to work. Breaks up the monotony and helps me wake up. Much of the time I keep it turned off.

And I have a few years on you too. ;)

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haha. Naaa no heated grips, seat or even heated gear for me. When I ride in the cold I bundle up. I like my tunes when on a commute to work. Breaks up the monotony and helps me wake up. Much of the time I keep it turned off.

And I have a few years on you too. ;)

hahahahaha i use headphones. i feel ya i like my tunes too. my commute to wrk is 30 miles one way......i wrk midnites so im goin the opposite way of traffic.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Biker. I have ridden bikes since I was old enough to. Owned a motorcycle before I owned a car. I am a former PH with a large 3 patch MC. I left the Club for personal reasons, in good standing, several years ago. I was a hangaround, I prospected, and I patched in. Lived the life. Still do, but to a lesser extent. I didn't make up my nick....It was given to me by members of the chapter while I was a prospect. There's a good number of people that still dont even know what my real name is and still call me Spike...lol

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That was the day I brought it home. Sold my worn out but yet still a dandy 84 to buy my father in law's '90 with a new 113ci S&S motor he bought and had installed last summer.

He's still kinda pissy about the extra crap he bought and put on and I pulled off and piled up in the drive. lol

Here's my ol' girl! (sad) Note the drumstick. I've jammed with some great guitar players because of that stick.

Last edited:

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think I would come under "Biker"...A biker is more for freedoms and like to be on the edge of the Law or out right Outlaws and tend to go across the grain rather then with it

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A great movie, great is a vast over statement but non-the-less, came on last nite so I DVR'd it.
Wild Hogs
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

kinda touches this point..................at the very end.............

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have to chuckle when someone on a scooter gives me the wave. I am usually courteous and give them a small wave. But I will tell you I see more scooters out in the winter here than actual bikes. Scooter riders are hardcore. LOL

depends on my mood.
if its dark and i i see the one headlight, i may start to give the 'wave' then once I notice they're a scooter i flip the bird. hahahahahahaha.....
but i cant say them same. I see a lot of both bikes n scooters. although the scooter-ers wear more protection the bikers.......wtf?!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have owned and ridden motorcycles for quite some time. I enjoy anything with two wheels, but prefer motorcycles that aren't sport bikes. Not comfortable for me. I have to say the easiest, quickest and most fun I have just buzzing around my smallish town is when I'm on my son's 50cc two stroke honda moped. Your arrogant attitude towards mopeds is not shared by me. I even enjoy riding my bicycle.

Heldar

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ride daily (usually, winter really tears me up lately). Currently ride a 09 Suzuki sv650 that has clip ons. Amd no fairings hahaha

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I used to be a rider.

I had a group of friends that I rode with and we took a lot of day trips.

We called ourselves the "Born Losers".

Much fun.

Then I got to the point where I just had so very much to do.

Then I got married and had kids.

No more biking.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to be a rider.

I had a group of friends that I rode with and we took a lot of day trips.

We called ourselves the "Born Losers".

Much fun.

Then I got to the point where I just had so very much to do.

Then I got married and had kids.

No more biking.
Oddly enough I.bought my Harley when my.wife n I.fund it she was 6 weeks prego hahaha good.times

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To answer the question of this thread.

My dad built show winning custom Harley's long before Fedex, the Internet, tv shows and all them other guys got involed. He was well respected (states away even) in the show bike groups back in the day. And he did it in a little house with no garage till I was like 5 or 6 years anyway. Then later another little house but with a garage.

Bikes were built literally in the middle of where we lived. It was nothing to sit down to eat a bowl of cereal to a table with a torn down bike motor or transmission covering most of it.

My mom backed him up all the way too. Cleaning bikes and parts was her job. We could bug her when she was busy cleaning house, cooking or whatever but it was a must to leave her alone while she had her bike cleaning stuff out. Going to town on every square 1/8 inch, not one area was over looked, top to bottom, underneath and in all the places you couldn't even see.

Here's the kicker (believe it or not I'm cool with that!) I was born in the middle of June, always the nicest weather right? My dad showed up at the hospital on his (truely) one of a kind show winning 1960 panhead hardtail chopper. The nurse followed my dad to the 'car' wheeling my mom out in the wheelchair with a couple small bags in her lap to the 'car'. When my dad got close to the bike the nurse freaked! "You are not putting this woman on that motorcycle with this new baby sir!" "Oh yes we are too!" (dad said) and they did! I came home from the hospital 3 days old on a 1960 hardtail panhead...I only wish I could remember. lol

I have a handful of the coolest old biker/bike pics I have been wanting to update to the computer and will soon and may even share them here in V.U. if I find a reason to stick around.

RIP Dad!

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My mom and dad when I was young. I have no idea where the casket came from or where it went. He pretty much always took best of show too. He would jump in and lay still when he seen big groups//hot chics heading his way. Listening to them try and figure out if he was fake/wax or real then he would sit up real quick asking for a light and make a whole group of people shit their pants! LOL I couldn't understand why they was be so mean and not me lay in it too.

Anyway a couple pics of a couple pictures off my kitchen walls for now. LOL Everyone has these kinda pics on their kitchen walls right? Big ears was a walk along dork no one knew.

[URL=http://s691.photobucket.com/user/Raymond65/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150119_112935_076_zps12024ac4.jpg.html] [/URL]

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is real.....I saw it
cd3bbdfef7ac3512c1a7bda9eefbc6ca.jpg

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I bought a trailer at the end of last summer to pull with my bike.
I am so looking forward to loading my drum kit in it. I think it'll fit.

These are the pics from the guys craigslist ad, I have none yet.
Correction, 1 pic. My Photobucket or computer is nutting up again.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unless you want someone else to do it, I'd like to send you a gremlin bell. We can go through anyone you choose if you don't want to PM me your address, or how ever you want to do it...Totally understand!

I'm sure you know what I mean by the gremlin bell but if you don't I will find and copy the story behind them and how you need to go about getting one.

bigdaddybrink1

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unless you want someone else to do it, I'd like to send you a gremlin bell. We can go through anyone you choose if you don't want to PM me your address, or how ever you want to do it...Totally understand!

I'm sure you know what I mean by the gremlin bell but if you don't I will find and copy the story behind them and how you need to go about getting one.
Mayb we can do a bell exchange?
I knew Big Daddy would be all over this! LOL Right On Girl Friend!

lg g3 tapatalk

Salero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to have a big wheel back in the day.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

VU Sponsors