Become a Patron!

Augvape Intake RTA review by KingPin! (inc. wicking guide)

hello kingpin,thank you very much for this detailed review,i would like to talk about the part that you state that the intake is a dry vape,i have the same experience like you do,we have something in common too,the zesthia is my favorite rta and i always seem to have a nice moist almost wet vape experience with that rta,the intake rta is much dryer on the other hand,almost harsh sometimes and my wicking is on point both with your method and Mikes works wonderfull,zero dry hits with chainvaping ,cotoon always saturated,no spitback,but the vape experience i get is kinda dry.

How would you explain this,i dont see it suffering from vaporlock since the bubbles are there everytime i take some hits,maybe a thiner cotton would fix the issue,im at a point that if i thin more im sure ill flood the deck ,or maybe is just the way the tank vapes and im not used to this kind of vape?

i find myself drinking more water than usual,am i crazy or what?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
hello kingpin,thank you very much for this detailed review,i would like to talk about the part that you state that the intake is a dry vape,i have the same experience like you do,we have something in common too,the zesthia is my favorite rta and i always seem to have a nice moist almost wet vape experience with that rta,the intake rta is much dryer on the other hand,almost harsh sometimes and my wicking is on point both with your method and Mikes works wonderfull,zero dry hits with chainvaping ,cotoon always saturated,no spitback,but the vape experience i get is kinda dry.

How would you explain this,i dont see it suffering from vaporlock since the bubbles are there everytime i take some hits,maybe a thiner cotton would fix the issue,im at a point that if i thin more im sure ill flood the deck ,or maybe is just the way the tank vapes and im not used to this kind of vape?

i find myself drinking more water than usual,am i crazy or what?

It’s not a dry hit in the typical sense of the word where wicking performance leads to what we all describe as a burnt taste, I guess an alternative description would be the humidity of the vapour itself.

You can rule the juice out right, same exact juice in the Zesthia I bet tastes moister than the intake (so let’s park that one and it’s VG/PG ratio)

I do believe there is a relationship between the speed an atty drinks juice (even when the wicking is nailed and you can chain vape), the volume of air mixture, the temperature inside the chamber, the shape of the chamber inside (and formation of airstream jetties) and finally pressure.

As you say wicking is on point (it’s bubbling away) albeit not drinking as fast as some atties.

Air mix is slower and takes time to get around the circuit due to the restriction.

You have these tubes inside the chamber that have cooler air running through them. Warm air carries more moisture than cool air, and these must have a slight affect.

The air is directed upwards, there’s not a lot of room for it to collect moisture from the chamber ceiling, or anywhere else for that matter.

I don’t profess to be an expert in this field of study, but from my reading and experience to date these things always seem to correlate to that humidity experience I find when I vape....when I review I describe it as moistness :)

Last edited:
It’s not a dry hit in the typical sense of the word where wicking performance leads to what we all describe as a burnt taste, I guess an alternative description would be the humidity of the vapour itself.

You can rule the juice out right, same exact juice in the Zesthia I bet tastes moister than the intake (so let’s park that one and it’s VG/VG ratio)

I do believe there is a relationship between the speed an atty drinks juice (even when the wicking is nailed and you can chain vape), the volume of air mixture, the temperature inside the chamber, the shape of the chamber inside (and formation of airstream jetties) and finally pressure.

As you say wicking is on point (it’s bubbling away) albeit not drinking as fast as some atties.

Air mix is slower and takes time to get around the circuit due to the restriction.

You have these tubes inside the chamber that have cooler air running through them. Warm air carries more moisture than cool air, and these must have a slight affect.

The air is directed upwards, there’s not a lot of room for it to collect moisture from the chamber ceiling, or anywhere else for that matter.

I don’t profess to be an expert in this field of study, but from my reading and experience to date these things always seem to correlate to that humidity experience I find when I vape....when I review I describe it as moistness :)
Wow this actually makes sense,as you said it may not be entirely true but for sure plays some kind of role in the way this rta vapes,same juice same build and perfect wicking on both intake and zesthia are a different vape expirience for me,not much on the flavor or the airflow but the difference in 'moistnes'' as you describe it is really noticable,

So you say this is a normal think for this rta?Maybe i am spoiled by zesthia who knows,or maybe its all in my mind.
Dont get me wrong Intake is such an amzing tank,i wasnt much fun of topairflow rtas but intake changed my mind,the flavor isnt on zesthia level in my opinion but its really close,but i think intake beats it in all the other points,easier to build,much easier to wick,zero leaking,i have a fused clapton 0.4 ohms in there at 60 watts cause i like warm vape and i cant get it to get warm which is ,mndblowing for me,not that i had issues with zesthia but i didnt expect it from a topairlfow rta.

Like you im a huge fan of single coil rtas,i have my eyes on the juggerknot mini which seem to be perfect for the way i vape,ill propably buy it for christmas,have you got any idea if you will have the opportunity to try on of those gemmies?I would really love to read your thoughts on that interesting rta

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So you say this is a normal think for this rta?Maybe i am spoiled by zesthia who knows,or maybe its all in my mind.
Dont get me wrong Intake is such an amzing tank,i wasnt much fun of topairflow rtas but intake changed my mind,the flavor isnt on zesthia level in my opinion but its really close,but i think intake beats it in all the other points,easier to build,much easier to wick,zero leaking,i have a fused clapton 0.4 ohms in there at 60 watts cause i like warm vape and i cant get it to get warm which is ,mndblowing for me,not that i had issues with zesthia but i didnt expect it from a topairlfow rta.

Like you im a huge fan of single coil rtas,i have my eyes on the juggerknot mini which seem to be perfect for the way i vape,ill propably buy it for christmas,have you got any idea if you will have the opportunity to try on of those gemmies?I would really love to read your thoughts on that interesting rta

Yeah this is normal for this RTA and many others out there as well (Geekvape Zeus is another one for instance) they are naturally on the drier end of the spectrum, the Zesthia is on the other side of the scale, in terms of top airflow the Horus from Vapefly is a naturally moist top airflow tank.

Some juices out there are naturally drier as well which can further compound the experience (caramel based ones for instance) there are juices that have ingredients in them that can help to improve the situation for you, cactus in DIY mixing can be one such flavour (we have a huge DIY section the forum with many really experienced mixers who could provide input on that front for you)

I have seen the Juggerknot mini, although I’m eyeing up the fatality as a preferred option at the moment as I want to run some of my more exotic builds on it...however it falls behind my priority buy list as I want to get some 22mm RDAs for Christmas :)

E-VAPOURIZED

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have just purchased one of these Aug Vape Intake RTA's I really do like it, but do agree with most users the restrictive draw of air flow, of which I found using coils, I normally would use in other tanks would run a little too hot! I managed to remedy the heat flux situation by going for a lighter wire Ni80 25 awg (very fine Clapton flat wire) And getting about 4 wraps on a 3mm diameter coil running at 0.35 ohm, but I think my calculations were a little of should have been 5 wraps? There's the real world for you! So now ordered some 24 awg so I should get that extra wrap or two if needed as for the wicking, it can be touch and go the cotton seems to expand, then block the flow after some use even after quite a bit of fluffing and thinning using Cotton bacon prime which generally doe's expand more than some, just out of curiosity I used the V2 cotton in there and I found some improvement! The other thing on Mikes Video he states not to have the wicking poking out? But seeing other builds some do? I suppose, if it is hovering and not touching the base of the juice well this is perfectly acceptable as well? The other thing is everyone who has used this mod have you dammed the cotton above the juice well or not? What works best is quite confusing as some people state a 3.5 mm coil will work better for flavour, while some state a 2.5 mm coil will work better for the size of the wicking ports? This is going to be trail and error for me the vape always seems to be running a little dry in the end, whatever I do at the moment, I may be missing a trick somewhere along the line?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I have just purchased one of these Aug Vape Intake RTA's I really do like it, but do agree with most users the restrictive draw of air flow, of which I found using coils, I normally would use in other tanks would run a little too hot! I managed to remedy the heat flux situation by going for a lighter wire Ni80 25 awg (very fine Clapton flat wire) And getting about 4 wraps on a 3mm diameter coil running at 0.35 ohm, but I think my calculations were a little of should have been 5 wraps? There's the real world for you! So now ordered some 24 awg so I should get that extra wrap or two if needed as for the wicking, it can be touch and go the cotton seems to expand, then block the flow after some use even after quite a bit of fluffing and thinning using Cotton bacon prime which generally doe's expand more than some, just out of curiosity I used the V2 cotton in there and I found some improvement! The other thing on Mikes Video he states not to have the wicking poking out? But seeing other builds some do? I suppose, if it is hovering and not touching the base of the juice well this is perfectly acceptable as well? The other thing is everyone who has used this mod have you dammed the cotton above the juice well or not? What works best is quite confusing as some people state a 3.5 mm coil will work better for flavour, while some state a 2.5 mm coil will work better for the size of the wicking ports? This is going to be trail and error for me the vape always seems to be running a little dry in the end, whatever I do at the moment, I may be missing a trick somewhere along the line?

Welcome aboard :wave:

out of interest have you already read my review, and tried my coil approach and wicking method in here? I say this as it’s what worked for me

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Damming works well for me. 2.5 -3mm id coil raised just a touch higher than I would normally place it seems to give better flavor as well. Tried a 3.5mm quad core and wasn't happy at all with the vape. Once you dial in where you like the flavor and hit its a good rta.

E-VAPOURIZED

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome aboard :wave:

out of interest have you already read my review, and tried my coil approach and wicking method in here? I say this as it’s what worked for me

Bumped your post! ;) I have done this before, maybe I have to be more tight with my cotton inside the coil possibly? I will keep trying!

Kingpins Wicking Guide....copied from his review

I use the “Scottish roll method” (google this) and I’m using Cotton Bacon V2. The juice I run is 75% VG so rake more or less cotton away in step 3 depending on the thickness of your juice and diameter of the coil. This method is the same for both 3 and 3.5mm inner diameter coils.

1. When I feed the cotton through the coil it feels pretty snug to the point it’s almost moving the coil. Once complete I move it back and forth a few times to settle it into position which loosens it up slightly.

2. With the ends of the cotton showing place the scissors under the base of the deck both sides. This puts a cut line across the cotton for you (which I’ve marked in the photo)

7c9a00d5-84a6-40b4-a74b-a2bbcb85da99-jpeg.116329

3. Cut away, and rake your cotton from different angles so it feels like it’s combing through the same way both top and sides. (Read ahead up to step 8 here as to how much cotton you rake away, it’ll be very much a feel thing so don’t worry if you have to come back and repeat this step)

80c08158-b9dd-424f-b5c1-553da9de1480-jpeg.116330

4. Once done cut again to tidy up giving you the “bow tie” look

06bb7fdd-df0b-4963-a53f-52aed27d6e74-jpeg.116331

5. Now place your scissors on the edge of the deck and aim to cut towards the centre of each tip

5fdaf428-331f-406e-9f37-fc33d84ab1dc-jpeg.116332

6. You’ll end up with something like this

71e7a2d3-e298-44ac-b970-205b560b07c8-jpeg.116333

7. Feed the cotton into the well starting from the bottom and working up. This bit is important after each pass make sure you are properly pushing it through all the way through creating a fluffy base, because my approach will leave cotton poking out of the bottom and you need to make sure the cotton hasn’t ended up in a ball at this stage.

aaa16f11-d14f-48c1-ad9e-957140b5db13-jpeg.116335

8. After you have finished poking all the cotton through it should be fluffy and lose enough to put your scissors or tweezers in the well and push down. Don’t worry about leaving a gap at the front when doing this because you’ll be fixing it in the next step. If you can’t push the scissors in easily go back to step 3 rinse and repeat

44834a49-55ef-4fd2-8c23-36a59ae59f4b-jpeg.116334

fa95aacc-9938-4eb1-bdef-c2197e11cd1c-jpeg.116336

9. Now grab a pin and place it behind the cotton so it rests in front of the air tube and post and gently pull it forward slightly. This will have two positive effects, first it moves the back of the cotton away from the bottom airflow located on the deck (stopping leaking in the airways, second it moves the cotton forward to plug up that gap you made with the scissors/tweezers.

115fb1af-3e13-4498-9bd3-2219bc7ebdcc-jpeg.116337

6b64c91c-9dc4-404d-8a0e-b3e86c24d6d0-jpeg.116338

10. You should now be done …juice her up and make sure the cotton has swelled sufficiently to plug up the well, in addition check that it’s not hanging over the edge of the deck as the chamber will push it back undoing what you did in step 9, if this happens do the pin trick again and gently sculpt it.

11. Now time to re-assemble – place the chamber over the deck and reverse screw it until the airflow tubes find the holes in the chamber ceiling, this also helps to remove cotton in the threads. Once you feel it slot into place, tighten it up clockwise and check the cotton is still poking out of the bottom holes ok. Fill up the tank a quarter way to check its wicking ok and enjoy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018

Last edited by a moderator:

E-VAPOURIZED

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Number 8 is the important step if you over stuff the wicking here then all you’ve done in added a bung
Yes! I realised this having it too loose before the cotton it needs to expand and act as a bung, while drawing enough of a juice supply at the same time for a more consistent vape! I'am getting much closer to what ideally want and have gone back using the 3mm dia coil at it's full width, just shy of the juice wells! I still don't think it's a perfect vape I have here with this setup, but some of the dryness I had is gone and I feel I'am moving in the right direction now as it is picking up more consistent flow on the juice now!

VU Sponsors