Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went from having AC on to having the heat back on in like three days. It's trippy. Woke up to a cold room and a clingy Milly.

Oh, and there was a young Moose loose in the city yesterday...it somehow made it halfway across the North side without getting run over.
Apparently they finally tranq'd it and got it in a truck about a half block from my Apt. Sounded like someone ran a dog over, it was baying so much. Poor thing. Milly was freaking the hell out, growling and all fluffed up.

FWIW....A toys/sporting goods/surplus store I've know all my life is closing after 74 years.
Makes me sad. I bought my first camping/fishing gear there when I was like 14.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Spent over an hour on hold this morning to speak with someone at Social Security, who then told me almost immediately that I needed to speak to someone at Medicare about this billing issue I have. Opened my first bill for Medicare coverage on Friday afternoon, and it's for three months instead of one. Between that and the Medicare Supplement and Prescription Coverage bills plus my medical insurance premiums, I'd have to spend almost $900 on medical coverage next week. It ain't happening. Anyway, I got through to Medicare after only about a 15-minute hold, and they say that someone from the Advanced Resolution Center at Medicare will call me back this week.

It is absolutely always something. :gaah: Nothing is easy any more. Things have just become too complicated.

I hear ya..I have a phone appointment today for my SSI. I think it's the every-three-years interview just to check up and see how things are. Usually it is just a 'ya, nothing has changed..ok, thx' kind of conversation. With all this craziness of late I hope that is still true. The last thing I need to worry about is losing income...I barely have anything left after bills as-is. Moving = Homeless.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hear ya..I have a phone appointment today for my SSI. I think it's the every-three-years interview just to check up and see how things are. Usually it is just a 'ya, nothing has changed..ok, thx' kind of conversation. With all this craziness of late I hope that is still true. The last thing I need to worry about is losing income...I barely have anything left after bills as-is. Moving = Homeless.

Irony ATM is: I'm nervous and stressed about the appt, and really could use a beer to just relax.
But, that would not be an excellent plan for a phone appt. with the SSI peoples. (sigh)

1hr10mins to wait....

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Went from having AC on to having the heat back on in like three days. It's trippy. Woke up to a cold room and a clingy Milly.

Oh, and there was a young Moose loose in the city yesterday...it somehow made it halfway across the North side without getting run over.
Apparently they finally tranq'd it and got it in a truck about a half block from my Apt. Sounded like someone ran a dog over, it was baying so much. Poor thing. Milly was freaking the hell out, growling and all fluffed up.

FWIW....A toys/sporting goods/surplus store I've know all my life is closing after 74 years.
Hate to hear that about the sports store. And I bet that was really cool with the moose. Would've been a site to see. They are huge animals compared to anything else I've seen in real life. Elk was the largest I've been up close to. What a bruiser it was.

Sent from a pile of wood chips

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How'd your appointment go @CaFF?

As well as expected I guess. :huh:

SSI called me like 10min late and the poor gal said it'd been her 7th appt. of the day (our appt took about 30min). She didn't speak very clear English and had a poor connection too. But, she was nice enough and we got through it.

Had to back all the way to 2018 for financial circumstances stuff which is hard to recall, but fortunately nothing much has changed since long before that, so it wasn't bad. They'll verify it all, and if things I said match records, everything is fine.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hate to hear that about the sports store. And I bet that was really cool with the moose. Would've been a site to see. They are huge animals compared to anything else I've seen in real life. Elk was the largest I've been up close to. What a bruiser it was.

Sent from a pile of wood chips

I've been within spittin' distance from adult brown bears and a giant bull moose once. They are things to command your attention for sure.
Hell, even a pissed-off coyote, cougar, or wolf can end your day in a hurry. We're taking away their land and making it into condos more every day, IDK what we expect to happen...

It made me sad/afraid to see that poor young moose running scared through city streets. Didn't expect it to make it...car wrecks with other cars happen dozens of times a day here.

Nobody gives a fuck...driving 40+ down sidestreets not even stopping for intersections. Much less a moose. There's a video of some dumbazz peeps blaring rap in their car following the poor thing down a street...fully expected that to end badly. I hope it's ok now and didn't get hit.

The forests of Idaho still have most everything in them though. I used to camp and pick Huckleberries there as a teen and young adult. Haven't been in decades though.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Sad to see those go. One here that was an icon closed in one of our towns.
Hey maybe you can pick up something there as a keepsake type thing from that store.
When our fishing store closed they sold off everything. My misses got a blown glass fish which was one they had on the shelf for years and I go a wooden rod holder that had been there as long as they had which they made. It must have over the years held hundreds if not thousands of rods they sold. Sad they closed as they just couldnt compete with the bigger stores and online sales. But cool we have a part of it to remember.
I was surprised really when we heard it was closing as when we got there lots of everyday fishing stuff was gone, stuff you could get anywhere, but those things like we got nodoby had bothered with. :)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
As well as expected I guess. :huh:

SSI called me like 10min late and the poor gal said it'd been her 7th appt. of the day (our appt took about 30min). She didn't speak very clear English and had a poor connection too. But, she was nice enough and we got through it.

Had to back all the way to 2018 for financial circumstances stuff which is hard to recall, but fortunately nothing much has changed since long before that, so it wasn't bad. They'll verify it all, and if things I said match records, everything is fine.

They don’t just mail you a form to re-certify you? It’s so easy that way. I hope all goes well for you!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been within spittin' distance from adult brown bears and a giant bull moose once. They are things to command your attention for sure.
Hell, even a pissed-off coyote, cougar, or wolf can end your day in a hurry. We're taking away their land and making it into condos more every day, IDK what we expect to happen...

It made me sad/afraid to see that poor young moose running scared through city streets. Didn't expect it to make it...car wrecks with other cars happen dozens of times a day here.

Nobody gives a fuck...driving 40+ down sidestreets not even stopping for intersections. Much less a moose. There's a video of some dumbazz peeps blaring rap in their car following the poor thing down a street...fully expected that to end badly. I hope it's ok now and didn't get hit.

The forests of Idaho still have most everything in them though. I used to camp and pick Huckleberries there as a teen and young adult. Haven't been in decades though.

giphy.gif

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, they did send me a letter to notify me about the phone appt. o_O

A good scene...I think perhaps they borrowed from this though. ;)

They might have, but since you mentioned huckleberries, I figured I throw in a gratuitous gif! And Val Kilmer was good in that movie. Not as good as Claude Rains and Bogart, but pretty dang good.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just posted some pics I took going on a walk to Trader Joe's in the Handcheck thread...and came back to find my cleaning efforts with the 'disposible' Lumi tank turned out pretty well.

I had emptied it, rinsed it out as much as I could shaking the snot out of it, then left it soaking in a 50% white vinegar solution...lookie this: gunk soup.

Zg0Yhiv.jpg

Yup, it's clean now. Cotton is white again, and I see shiny metal down in there too where it was brown when I left. Yeehaw.. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and I also tweaked on my a/v setup with the TV and the new computer..was getting weird feedback from the room fans.
Turns out, I had one little thing setup wrong with the arcane connections behind the Yamaha...working, but wrong. Now I got proper levels and no more static.

Also got updates for the new PC..including an oddball.: an Intel Microcode update. Yeah...I don't have an Intel CPU, so fudge that!
I did get a Kernel update though, so thought it best to fire up the *nix version of Time Machine, called Timeshift. It works awesome.

Backed up my entire user dir with all installed progs and data in about 7mins going from SSD to a 2TB WD Re HDD. Fast AF. My Win7x64 computer takes over 45mins. :eek:

*hugs new computer*

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NASCAR with the Blue Emu 500...yeeehaw!

Screenshot from 2020-06-10 16-25-27.png

I am prepared with vintage DaleJr apparel and an excellent beer.

WgvOlUz.jpg

Yes, not iRacing from Martinsville. :D

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wife, 2 dogs and myself are doing well. Work is going in full swing for me. Im booked solid thru to almost October. Got sunburned staining a deck. Lots of exterior work lined up for this summer.

Trying to find an affordable replacement for my work truck. Mine is leaking transmission fluid and slipping in and out of gear at random. Has 287k miles on it. Not worth spending more on it.

Nothing exciting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Once again, not much going on here. Jessie found another moth last night, knocked over vapes and stuff. I think my lampshade is permanently loose now, lol. She finally won the battle and ate the moth, she was very proud of herself.

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

Once again, not much going on here. Jessie found another moth last night, knocked over vapes and stuff. I think my lampshade is permanently loose now, lol. She finally won the battle and ate the moth, she was very proud of herself.

Lol! VICTORY! I love cats.

Nothing going on here either. Hubbs about to make lunch for everyone, plundering and making a lot of noise digging in the freezer right now. :) He's looking for the chicken nuggets for our grandson who only likes a very specific selection of foods. Pickiest eater I've ever seen.

I'm about to read a little bit and vape a whole lot, maybe eat a cheeseburger.

Haven't watched any news, did read an Internet article about our Governor releasing a plan for reopening schools in the fall. It will be a staged process, beginning with children with special learning requirements and child care for working parents.

Everyone stay safe!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Lol! VICTORY! I love cats.

Nothing going on here either. Hubbs about to make lunch for everyone, plundering and making a lot of noise digging in the freezer right now. :) He's looking for the chicken nuggets for our grandson who only likes a very specific selection of foods. Pickiest eater I've ever seen.

I'm about to read a little bit and vape a whole lot, maybe eat a cheeseburger.

Haven't watched any news, did read an Internet article about our Governor releasing a plan for reopening schools in the fall. It will be a staged process, beginning with children with special learning requirements and child care for working parents.

Everyone stay safe!

Have the shingles gone into remission?

That sounded so heinous :hug:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Yeah, Milly is like that. She goes insane watching/stalking, batting at 'em and then eating 'em.
For it being June now, there should be some bugs around, nope.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sleep was weird... I watched the race then went off to bed with Milly. She'd curled up next to my legs and we were happy.

Then, about 0230 there was a loud rumble/crackling and everything went dark and haywire. Apparently a big transformer blew not far from here. Lot of people were out of power.

We weren't affected much although it scared the crap outa us, rebooted the main comp and I had to reset the microwave's clock. New comp didn't even skip a beat...it has a surge-protect feature in the mobo that auto-senses a fault and stops it. Plus, Linux is far more fault tolerant than Windows. The big old 2.1 Altec Lansing system on the main comp made some hellacious noises, but is fine too.

I shut everything off and unplugged from the wall though, just to be safe. All booted up again today with no issues..whew...surge suppressors and good PSUs FTW.

Made brekky, fed cat, etc. Got to building the SXK Legend too, and I'm liking the little thing so far.

IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0658.JPG IMG_0650.JPG

But, pretty sure it'll perform better as a squonker..which was my intent for it.

Watching PGA Golf live...nice to see them playing again. :)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Haven't checked in for a while but everyone is still healthy and staying SAFE. Things are opening up and shortages aren't what they were a month ago. Still dealing with our loss but the sympathy and support from Good Friends makes it easier. Sucks but life goes on and Karen would want us to go on.

fWoc8CZW_pf-3k9M5IknmY4nf6Og8d887MSFFHOIY8Rv07B1ncqLV-VLjVlzv88lrwTPQaylIcF8YwdPdX38LJ1hOgx73CVKbf4Y7Vq9jnajcjDt399ISgyS5tlnI9-lCLtZ1ZcgdRQ5Qf8D0vqr_TGHyWpfhWRUNg84fEd8PPQcav02VVIy8XHKq40TXtZ9zbLI9q_bsL0s9qcgtWXSBNd_6d5zWmC5HAhJKjliGk5DuWIbSFDU3u6atzahd9Rqj1XGqkehph_u18vpI4g-YtVJze095fowlnMililaQtrI7wZOoRGCliZqQCGttPX4pT9Y8kIQclF3gBZx9u5FIhwFddBUD8_oKCWzGS4r0DpAF2SO3EIcf2qcPzpYryTqJRkjr-wOQqtD2wWC_K2ccLEcwkXygvu3e3qUAeg9OzZAwLtZ3XYTSAZhrjMYOEWxS9feBUZebQCbiwbtzXRRNWys-ZRERAu7SIT3oFmwJu3P3bpaAJr3UJ0j2pvJCxS5u1VEqXRQNyTkykt91Y-3VzDCHRIw2M7eXY2XZJOePvqMaAhnYlJAjZp3qSYnS0h0ce0SFc6Axgq5ef5yua6sHYX-wsg8lGef_ioW7qe8FigZg82HRSzXKYIa7CWQ_qYcgfk2LhbHIlvRhPioAUDPEbKsN0jo6f1i0jSpMpXTazpHKPjFeaBAt1FvT8xXBg=w567-h755-no

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Have the shingles gone into remission?

That sounded so heinous :hug:

Thank you for asking. <3<3<3 Answer: Some, but not entirely. I still have a place on my right shoulder about the size of the palm of my hand that burns like the dickens almost all the time. There's one small area on my left side also. The headache, fever, and fatigue are mostly gone now, and I actually do feel better, though.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for asking. <3<3<3 Answer: Some, but not entirely. I still have a place on my right shoulder about the size of the palm of my hand that burns like the dickens almost all the time. There's one small area on my left side also. The headache, fever, and fatigue are mostly gone now, and I actually do feel better, though.

Shingles suck and I have known a few people afflicted with it. Painful shit~! Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Found a pair of clip-on sunglasses that look to fit my big Wayfarer-style plastic frames with very thick prescription lenses. Been a PITA trying to find some that I like, look decent, and can handle a 7mm thick edge. Gotta have some soon though as bright sun pretty much blinds me.

81G8WII-VlL._AC_UX679_.jpg

The optical place I go to has some of course, but want like $45 for a pair of these. Nope.
These were only $16 shipped with Prime. We'll see but they look to be workable. Woot! :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Man, I am glad you are getting better. :)

That is one thing I fear...I had a severe case of the Pox when I was 23yo. Everywhere..Mom stopped counting at 300+ just where she could see. Not good...

I ended up in the hospital after I had a panic attack and passed out. Meds, oatmeal baths, the works.

So, now at my age I really do not want that second curse to arrive.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Found a pair of clip-on sunglasses that look to fit my big Wayfarer-style plastic frames with very thick prescription lenses. Been a PITA trying to find some that I like, look decent, and can handle a 7mm thick edge. Gotta have some soon though as bright sun pretty much blinds me.

81G8WII-VlL._AC_UX679_.jpg

The optical place I go to has some of course, but want like $45 for a pair of these. Nope.
These were only $16 shipped with Prime. We'll see but they look to be workable. Woot! :D
You can get some seriously good stuff cheaper on line at times. I found some sunnies that were $5 a pair post free. Got one sent, they are great to look through, feel good so I got another 10 pairs. Should be good sunglasses for a very long time. :D

lak611

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses from Zenni Optical for about $45. I use them mostly for driving, so I got amber lenses. Love em!
Wow! That's a great deal. I hope you'll like them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I just posted some pics I took going on a walk to Trader Joe's in the Handcheck thread...and came back to find my cleaning efforts with the 'disposible' Lumi tank turned out pretty well.

I had emptied it, rinsed it out as much as I could shaking the snot out of it, then left it soaking in a 50% white vinegar solution...lookie this: gunk soup.

Zg0Yhiv.jpg

Yup, it's clean now. Cotton is white again, and I see shiny metal down in there too where it was brown when I left. Yeehaw.. :)

You vinegar-ized it with a coil in it? I’d never have thought to do that. Was it just that it had been sitting around with juice in it?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, and I also tweaked on my a/v setup with the TV and the new computer..was getting weird feedback from the room fans.
Turns out, I had one little thing setup wrong with the arcane connections behind the Yamaha...working, but wrong. Now I got proper levels and no more static.

Also got updates for the new PC..including an oddball.: an Intel Microcode update. Yeah...I don't have an Intel CPU, so fudge that!
I did get a Kernel update though, so thought it best to fire up the *nix version of Time Machine, called Timeshift. It works awesome.

Backed up my entire user dir with all installed progs and data in about 7mins going from SSD to a 2TB WD Re HDD. Fast AF. My Win7x64 computer takes over 45mins. :eek:

*hugs new computer*

Have you ever seen the anime Ghost in the Shell? There’s a plot reference to the Solid State. You might dig the show, anyways. It’s thinking anime for adults. Without being pervy. Lol

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You vinegar-ized it with a coil in it? I’d never have thought to do that. Was it just that it had been sitting around with juice in it?

That Lumi tank came with my Lumi mod kit. Its a fully sealed mesh coil tank made of plastic and intended to be disposable. I disagreed. ;-)

There is no way to open it without breaking it, FAIK. But I like it and wanted to keep using it, so I cleaned it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses from Zenni Optical for about $45. I use them mostly for driving, so I got amber lenses. Love em!

Wish I could do that..but with a -12/-13 prescription, it ain't gonna happen.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you ever seen the anime Ghost in the Shell? There’s a plot reference to the Solid State. You might dig the show, anyways. It’s thinking anime for adults. Without being pervy. Lol

I've known about it for ages, but never really followed anime all that much.

Watched the hell out of Starblazers in the mornings before going to HS though. And seen all of their movies. :)

Also the new Mechagodzilla series is awesome.

Ever see this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausicaä_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind_(film)

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
check out he discount apps from prescriptions on line.. { like Good Rx or something simular. }

12 to 13 Bottles of stuff a Day.... DATS A LOT.

I bitch when i have to take an asprin. yet when i find a GREAT sale stock up for da year.
save cash where ya can.

so having to open 12 to 13 BOTTLES of stuff a day makes YOU ONE EXPENCIVE DATE DER BUDDY!

der has GOT to be a Way more Affordable way for you.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
check out he discount apps from prescriptions on line.. { like Good Rx or something simular. }

12 to 13 Bottles of stuff a Day.... DATS A LOT.

I bitch when i have to take an asprin. yet when i find a GREAT sale stock up for da year.
save cash where ya can.

so having to open 12 to 13 BOTTLES of stuff a day makes YOU ONE EXPENCIVE DATE DER BUDDY!

der has GOT to be a Way more Affordable way for you.

Umm, this is for optical prescriptions...not the Medical Rx sort. ;-)

-12 in one eye, -13 in the other = I'm super-nearsighted and legally blind without glasses.

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Umm, this is for optical prescriptions...not the RX sort. ;-)

-12 in one eye, -13 in the other = I'm super-nearsighted and legally blind without glasses.

o I JUST GOT IT!

thank god..
I tried to imagine having to swallow 12 to 13 meds and then try and eat a nice meal
like you can make.
and enjoy anything like da pc / racing... milly..
ders just no way I could do that.

I REALLY should get new glasses..
yet i just don't wanna,
would mean i would have to drive again
an i donwanna.. people on da roads are NUTS.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I hate to say it, but you are absolutely right about that. Dang hun. I hope you never sit on your glasses.

I think my Rx is something like -3.5/-3.25 plus the other adjustments for age-related farsightedness and astigmatism. The only complication for me (yet) is that I have EBMD and my vision can't be corrected to 20/20 any more.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Chekin in.
6 hours of mowing and trimming yesterday.
About another 2 today and I get my first hair cut since the corona thing started.
From a sister though. Not in a salon but legal since she is not a pro.
I think she has a bowl that will fit my head?
Everyone have a great day.

Ohh and another few hours of mowing tomorrow too.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hate to say it, but you are absolutely right about that. Dang hun. I hope you never sit on your glasses.

LOL! Yeah..me too.
I have specific places I put them, and have old pairs for backups just in case.

These new ones are bifocals, cost $87. And that is just for cheap frames, PC lenses and Medicare paid about half of it + the optical exam. They only do that about every 2 years IIRC.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors