Become a Patron!

Guide to Mixing by Weight

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah that's a good point, I've started doing that.

My biggest gripe with my scale is that I really feel like I can't trust it. Like I have to do all these little superstitious rituals to make it accurate. Put on top of a book, don't breathe, shut off electrics, calibrate every time, wait 5 seconds, put in the corner of the room, make sure the windows are closed, lightly drop my flavors on the table, clean it, make sure I my skins oils don't get on the calibrating weights--enough already! Just let me mix the friggin juice.

I would pay more money for a high end scale, I just don't know which to get. They all claim to be the best.
I have the same scale as you. I have to wait a few seconds for the scale to settle after adding. As long as I know in my head that most drops are .02g, I'm good with that. Oh yeah, I also staple a dead chicken to my wall above where I'm mixing. It seems to work.;)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The problem(s) you're having are due to the sensitivity of the scale. If you get a more sensitive scale, the problems will only be amplified. Where's @Teresa P chiming in with her nickel trick? :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the same scale as you. I have to wait a few seconds for the scale to settle after adding. As long as I know in my head that most drops are .02g, I'm good with that. Oh yeah, I also staple a dead chicken to my wall above where I'm mixing. It seems to work.;)
Don't forget to walk around your chair three times while chanting a soothing mantra....and the chicken must be black. ;)
Yes, I rely on my trusty 5g nickel more than I do the actual 10g weight that came with the scale. But I did also take the time to measure out 1ml of each fluid ( minus flavors) to get a proper assessment for my scale.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't forget to walk around your chair three times while chanting a soothing mantra....and the chicken must be black. ;)
Yes, I rely on my trusty 5g nickel more than I do the actual 10g weight that came with the scale. But I did also take the time to measure out 1ml of each fluid ( minus flavors) to get a proper assessment for my scale.
The LB-501 I got came with two 200g weights. It was dead on right out of the box.
Black chickens. Hummmmm?

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need perfection to get consistent results.

It makes adding things like sucralose in 6mL test batches very difficult.
If you want perfection then weigh everything and then add the smallest amount with a 1ml syringe. >.03gr = .03ml or .01gr =.01ml

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use the same scale Amanda uses. My goal is consistency. I agree that knowing what one drop weighs helps, as does adding the smallest weight when something else is already weighed out, THEN tare.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Absolute accuracy just isn't part of the equation. No two "drops" are gonna weigh the same as a lot of that depends on how hard you're squeezing the bottle. And if the weight of something is off by 1/100 of a gram, it won't be noticed in a mix and that's a fact. Outside of investing mega bucks in a .001 or .0001 jewelry or lab scale, this is as good as it gets.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Teresa does tricks for a nickel?:eek:

I should have seen this one coning but wanted Teresa to get credit as that's where I'd first heard of it.

Truth be told, I couldn't recall with certainty that 5g was correct 'cause I use calibration weights & never tried a nickel. :)

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I couldn't get mine to calibrate. Kept fluctuating, tried to calibrate it many times. Sent it back.

If you're referring to the LB-501, close the window/turn off the fan/don't breathe on it when calibrating and mixing. I'm completely serious. It's very sensitive to air currents. Blow on it and see what I mean.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're referring to the LB-501, close the window/turn off the fan/don't breathe on it when calibrating and mixing. I'm completely serious. It's very sensitive to air currents. Blow on it and see what I mean.
Mine goes crazy when the A/C vent is blowing.:cuss2:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You should have seen the pile of nickels I had to go through to find any even close to 5 grams.
Think I got short changed:teehee:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The newer nickels aren't 5Gs. Gotta use the older steeped ones, but any wear on them will lower the weight.
It doesn't really matter if the nickle is precisely 5 grams, once you put it on the scale you know what the nickle weighs and then subtract that from what you are trying to weigh. If I'm going to be so precise to measure out 0.01 grams of a flavor in a recipe, I'm going to make a 10% solution of that flavor and use 0.1 grams of that solution. 0.01 grams is less than a typical drop.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Huckleberried I can't remember which thread it was in but I thought I read something about you and someone else using "wash bottles" for your PG/VG when mixing by weight. Just a quick question. Do you use anything to seal off the bottles after your done? or just leave them as they are?

Funny back story... After mixing my last batch of juice, I cleaned all my equipment off and popped it into the oven over night to keep em out of reach of the kitten while drying. About dinner time the next day I opened a pre-heated oven to a puddle of syringes. DOH!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wash bottles? Not sure what you mean, exactly. What I have my PG and VG in right now is a squeeze bottle with a twist top, holds 8oz, super easy for mixing by weight.

Wait, do you mean like those spouted eye wash bottles?? I do remember reading something like that, too.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Huckleberried I can't remember which thread it was in but I thought I read something about you and someone else using "wash bottles" for your PG/VG when mixing by weight. Just a quick question. Do you use anything to seal off the bottles after your done? or just leave them as they are?

Funny back story... After mixing my last batch of juice, I cleaned all my equipment off and popped it into the oven over night to keep em out of reach of the kitten while drying. About dinner time the next day I opened a pre-heated oven to a puddle of syringes. DOH!
Nooooo! Lol! I can almost relate.... I soak my "vape dishes" in hot, soapy water with a capful of bleach, rinse them in hot water, then run them through a baby bottle sterilizer that goes in the microwave. I neglected to put the required water in the sterilizer one evening and literally cooked the rubber bulbs on a few glass eye droppers. The fumes were so strong in here, I had to stand on the porch for awhile till the air cleared....:confused: :blech:

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wash bottles? Not sure what you mean, exactly. What I have my PG and VG in right now is a squeeze bottle with a twist top, holds 8oz, super easy for mixing by weight.

Wait, do you mean like those spouted eye wash bottles?? I do remember reading something like that, too.

Ahhh thought I read somewhere that you used these

sprey-tuba-za-tatuirovki.jpg

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Made my first batch last night by weight. What a pleasant experience! Thanks for the info Botboy and everyone else!

Edit... Weight, not measurement

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The newer nickels aren't 5Gs. Gotta use the older steeped ones, but any wear on them will lower the weight.

So...it should be a older U.S. nickel that has this on one side?
buf.jpg

:popcorn:

Thanks!

Ron
---
"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into."- Ansel Adams

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So...it should be a older U.S. nickel that has this on one side?
View attachment 75223

:popcorn:

Thanks!

Ron
---
"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into."- Ansel Adams
I just weighed 6 nickels and only 2 weighed 5gs. The others were under. I'm beginning to think it may not be the proper way to calibrate a scale. The info I posted before may be incorrect(please don't shoot me). I checked the www. and all I can find is nickles do weigh 5gs. I have a calibration weights that came with my scale so that's what I use.
http://excelmath.com/BLOG/coinchart.pdf

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The info I posted before may be incorrect(please don't shoot me). I checked the www. and all I can find is nickles do weigh 5gs.

Not to worry! It won't be me unleashing the dark mixing powers of..

(Post #15 Here: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/honey-bun.200773/ )

..in your direction! :luck:

Thanks for your advice and I think I'll also PM someone who has extensive "hands on" calibration experience.

sof241.jpg
:cheers:
Ron
---
"The proper method for inquiring after the properties of things is to deduce them from experiments."- Isaac Newton

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to worry! It won't be me unleashing the dark mixing powers of..

(Post #15 Here: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/honey-bun.200773/ )

..in your direction! :luck:

Thanks for your advice and I think I'll also PM someone who has extensive "hands on" calibration experience.

View attachment 75232
:cheers:
Ron
---
"The proper method for inquiring after the properties of things is to deduce them from experiments."- Isaac Newton
Lol! I'd forgotten that thread, made me giggle....

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad I happen to run across this thread, guess I need to get out of the house more often......:)

Great info here, for us newbie mixers......!
Invaluable IMO. If I did't come across this thread I'd still be buying pre-made juices. No way would I be screwing around with buying and cleaning syringes and all that other stuff.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 75236

I just wish I also had bookmarked "somebody's" special juice shaking/mixing advice. :facepalm:

Ron
:D:D:D
---
"I know the power obedience has of making things easy which seem impossible."- Saint Teresa of Avila
I may refresh your memory...are you talking about the day I put a bottle of juice in my bra and ran my butt off at work all day? Ha!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Invaluable IMO. If I did't come across this thread I'd still be buying pre-made juices. No way would I be screwing around with buying and cleaning syringes and all that other stuff.
I hear that Squonk. I still haven't bought a decent scale yet. I'm searching NOW.....:giggle:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear that Squonk. I still haven't bought a decent scale yet. I'm searching NOW.....:giggle:
I've used this one for almost two years and it's served me well. I have one of the popular LB-501 scales that I don't like nearly as well, so it stays in a drawer as backup. It's on eBay for $17.05 from the seller "anyvolume", and the item number is 400610537333.

yal9mM1.jpg

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I may refresh your memory...are you talking about the day I put a bottle of juice in my bra and ran my butt off at work all day? Ha!

Yes...that seems to be my recollection too! I just forgot to bookmark that VU page information...on my computer. :)

Ron
---
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways."- Buddha

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hard telling which thread that was.... :teehee:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got an LB-501 a couple of weeks ago, and love it so far. It has a 10-year warranty, comes with the calibration weights, and an AC adaptor, not a bad deal for $24.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that's about what I paid for mine from Amazon. I think I'm just hooked on my "old reliable"...lol!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think that's about what I paid for mine from Amazon. I think I'm just hooked on my "old reliable"...lol!
Hey, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it.:) I guess I looked at about a dozen different scales on Amazon and eBay before I decided what I was going to buy. So far, I think I made a good choice.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've had the LB-501 for almost two years now. I bought it when I started mixing, because of the first post on this thread. I can't imagine mixing with drops or syringes, I'd have even less hair than I do now...:giggle:

I always thought the nickel thing was for measuring ridiculously small weights, like 0.01-0.02 grams. This was so you could see the weight register as most scales won't start registering until like about 0.03. At that point I just say one drop and be done with it...

VU Sponsors