Become a Patron!

Gun Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
With non-lethal ammo, it could probably be used in riot situations. It certainly has the fear factor.

Set up like in the video I think even 180 sandbags hitting you instantly is going to present some health issues. Ever see the bruising from some of the "non-lethal" ammo?
Even if they slowed it down and swept a crowd with rubber bullets there would be a higher body count than with aimed shots.
Plus it looks like there's a cost issue, once it's fired it's done. How many millions would it take to supply and then resupply police forces?

I think it would make sense to air drop some to a military out post that is under threat of being overrun but it's overkill for use against protests.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thinking about saying eff picking up an xd and instead building a 1911 in .38 super. Anyone had a chance to play with one?

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's just hard to justify a role for the mini 14 in these days of cheaper and better ARs. I think the mini has a nostalgia factor going for it, and as a collectors piece a folding stock mini is a classic. Cost of magazines, lack of aftermarket accessories, lack of accuracy, you can pretty much buy a sub-MOA AR off the rack for less than a basic mini 14 ranch rifle. It's a fun gun, and a decent action, but it's dated and I wouldn't trust my life on it.

All of my rifles are older; inherited a few and bought some a few years back. I'm interested in picking up a AR type rifle but I'm not current on the gun scene these days. What would you suggest in a good AR rifle? One that is capable but is not going to make me mortgage the house? :D

I have to admit I am one of those who has a Mini-14 and I actually like it. The one I have is plenty accurate but perhaps I just got lucky and got one of the ones without the accuracy issues.

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do you like to tinker? You can build your own from 'scratch' if you do. Or do/would you prefer to buy something ready to go 'out of the box'?

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you like to tinker? You can build your own from 'scratch' if you do. Or do/would you prefer to buy something ready to go 'out of the box'?

I do like to tinker, too much in fact. However, realistically I just don't have the time to take on another project at the moment. What I thought I would do is buy one first, not top of the line but decent and then perhaps down the road, consider doing something more along the lines of a custom setup. Heck, I even have a reloading press that hasn't been touched in years, sad to say, so time wise, I'm somewhat handicapped. :(

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Set up like in the video I think even 180 sandbags hitting you instantly is going to present some health issues. Ever see the bruising from some of the "non-lethal" ammo?
Even if they slowed it down and swept a crowd with rubber bullets there would be a higher body count than with aimed shots.
Plus it looks like there's a cost issue, once it's fired it's done. How many millions would it take to supply and then resupply police forces?

I think it would make sense to air drop some to a military out post that is under threat of being overrun but it's overkill for use against protests.

Great points. It probably would be overkill to use that model, but I have seen other models of Metal Storm that aren't as wasteful.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Great points. It probably would be overkill to use that model, but I have seen other models of Metal Storm that aren't as wasteful.

Something more like a minigun would just be a matter of having the ammo. I'm not sure how affordable a minigun is (what do they care, it's our tax money) but I'd think that could be invented for crowd control for a lower price. Rate could be slowed and accuracy wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know anything about that thing but it sure looks like it says 10,100 RPM on the side, which is fully insane, but a million seems impossible. Hell, 10,100 is ridiculous, I sort of don't see the application for it. But, back to the #s, does it blast 1100 off in 6 seconds and then it's spent? It's a self contained missile battery like sort of thing? I'll have to look it up, it's weird.

Huh, okay, looked it up. weird.

Application was intended as such as the 30 cals on warships and destroyers. Anti projectile. They will obliterate incoming missiles or really anything you don't want to exist anymore

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't care if it fires quail eggs, I want one. :)
If you dont then I'd say theres something wrong with you... There was also a prototype pistol using the same technology. It uses electrical current to discharge the round so they can be stacked end to end instead of side by side. Dont know what ever happened to that...

Edit: Ha! Just saw that back further in the thread.... Sorry, just got here...

vape me

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Application was intended as such as the 30 cals on warships and destroyers. Anti projectile. They will obliterate incoming missiles or really anything you don't want to exist anymore

As, so it's like the Phalanx CIWS? That application would make sense.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As, so it's like the Phalanx CIWS? That application would make sense.
Yeah, i believe that was the idea... I was wrong about the caliber on the phalanx tho, 20mm. Probably good for duck hunting too
feab63cb1123fa248c399482f7404aaa.jpg

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, wait. I lied. Just found a picture of my Garand.

870_589423327735579_16589839_o-vi.jpg

It's been "well loved," but it works well. A minor issue or two, but nothing that can't be fixed. Still tearing up targets.
Would give my left nut for one of them beautys.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Got this super fancy die set, was an ok price on black friday.

DSCN3254_zpshpm91cw0.jpg
Rcbs might be my favorite dies just because of the bullet seater ajustments being so damn easy to use

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rcbs might be my favorite dies just because of the bullet seater ajustments being so damn easy to use

I like Lee for the "Factory Crimp". Between that, neck sizing and military brass I don't have much growth with .223/5.56 once the brass is trimmed. Seating the first one is a pain though.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like Lee for the "Factory Crimp". Between that, neck sizing and military brass I don't have much growth with .223/5.56 once the brass is trimmed. Seating the first one is a pain though.
The only time I have used a factory crimp die is for my buddy's .308 with a tight ass chamber but I like them so far

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got into shooting as a hobby several years ago as I needed something to do when I couldn't play golf (I am retired). First handgun was a S&W M&P 9. I had a gunsmith install the APEX FSS trigger and really like it. I way overpaid the gunsmith and since then I do all my own work. Ruger NM Blackhawk 357 added a Super Blackhawk hammer (shorter and eaiser to reach than stock) and wolf springs. Rock Island 9mm 1911, great pistol and a blast and cheap to shoot. Did some trigger work to smooth things out. I made some grips for it as I didn't like stock. Since I got may carry permit I bought a Glock 26. I liked the gun but couldn't hit crap with it because of sweet triggers on my other hand guns. I installed a OC Custom triggers adjustable pre and over travel kit and it is almost a short and crisp as the 1911.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice picture, looks like something from my reload room; Used to purchase once fired brass for scrap metal price..~ $.50 a pound and a few 5 gallon buckets.
I live close to friendship indiana where they have a national muzzleloading rifle association shoot 2 times a year. It's basically a huge open market where you can find everything from illicit materials to brass cases to body armor. It's a wonderful place

deacon303

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would give my left nut for one of them beautys.

I've heard that exact statement more than once! I must say, it is a wonderful way to meet people at the firing range. The ping is apparently louder than firing on an empty chamber. :) The first time I took it out I had about 15 people gather around immediately after it pinged. And as a woman, it is also a great way to get random marriage proposals. LOL!

cthulhufan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bang Bang *Ting*... "I know what that is!"

You bet that's a great way to meet folks at the range. "is that a Ge-h-rund?" Yep. Wanna shoot it? "Hell yes!"

I am very envious of my buddy that owns one.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
#3 is just the painful truth
#2 is the whole reason I got one. If they don't like it it must be good. Figured #3 out watching them hold guns for press conferences.

#2 is also why I got my Glock. Anti-gunners, best gun salesmen in the world.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
#2 is also why I got my Glock. Anti-gunners, best gun salesmen in the world.

I have yet to break any of mine so far....The most durable pistol to date
Tax Time in 2 weeks, I cant wait until I get to grab my Kimber CC II Ultra!!

deacon303

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bang Bang *Ting*... "I know what that is!"

You bet that's a great way to meet folks at the range. "is that a Ge-h-rund?" Yep. Wanna shoot it? "Hell yes!"

I am very envious of my buddy that owns one.

Yeah, and the bad thing is that I have a reputation. I don't mind letting people shoot my guns if they ask nicely. I have one that is completely off limits to everyone period. But everything else I have is free game. I've also gotten to shoot a lot of great stuff that way. I have shot some really huge stuff that way, too.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, and the bad thing is that I have a reputation. I don't mind letting people shoot my guns if they ask nicely. I have one that is completely off limits to everyone period. But everything else I have is free game. I've also gotten to shoot a lot of great stuff that way. I have shot some really huge stuff that way, too.
Went to a local gun shop about a month ago and they had a 20mm anti material rifle I got to fondle. If I had the money i woulda left with it

deacon303

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Went to a local gun shop about a month ago and they had a 20mm anti material rifle I got to fondle. If I had the money i woulda left with it

I had a guy who used to come by the shop I worked at. He went to Africa to hunt every year, but his doctor limited him to the amount of shots he was allowed to take out of some of his rifles every year, so he brought them to the shop before his trips every year to ensure they were on point and to tune them up if they needed it. I was the only one willing to shoot his rifles, so the job fell on me every year. Some of that stuff looked like artillery it was so big. The only one I remember was the 600 nitro because he consistently brought that in every single year, the others would change. I got that thing tuned up REALLY fast. I didn't mind shooting it, but I didn't exactly want to take a lot of shots with it in a sitting. And it always needed a tune up.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So guys. I need some opinions. I wanna pick up a 10mm pistol I would like one that's got double/single action and has a 10+cap. Also looking around the $650 range. TYIA!

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In that price range you are limited but Rock Island Armory makes very nice pistols at a reasonable price. I own a RIA 1911 in 9mm and love it.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In that price range you are limited but Rock Island Armory makes very nice pistols at a reasonable price. I own a RIA 1911 in 9mm and love it.
I know it's not really a great price for what I'm lookin for but I can't see paying ~$1500 for something that I'm gonna use and abuse as a major gun if I get good enough with it lol

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They get good reviews, apparently are CZ clones. At that price you better check how many mags you get and how available are magazines that fit.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They get good reviews, apparently are CZ clones. At that price you better check how many mags you get and how available are magazines that fit.
Will have to research it some more. I'm not really picky. It's just gonna get abused anyway

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Midway USA has no hazmat fee for over $150 in cci primers for the reloaders amongst us.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well I am buying something new from the LGS this week coming, Ill post up what I get to grab!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Don't be a tease

I wont know if they have what I want until I walk in their with my money...Every year Ive gone in there and seen a gun all year long I want and see it a few days before I have the money and every time I have the money in hand its already gone.
He had a Fleet of Kimbers last time I went in and I told him I am picking up the Kimber Crimson Carry Pro II Wednesday, hopefully its still there....If not maybe a G42 with the Fixin's and a Governor..

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I wont know if they have what I want until I walk in their with my money...Every year Ive gone in there and seen a gun all year long I want and see it a few days before I have the money and every time I have the money in hand its already gone.
He had a Fleet of Kimbers last time I went in and I told him I am picking up the Kimber Crimson Carry Pro II Wednesday, hopefully its still there....If not maybe a G42 with the Fixin's and a Governor..
I know how that is. I still don't know if I'm gonna get the 10mm or go with a .357 sig or a 45 I can't make up my mind on what I want i handload so ammo cost don't matter

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know how that is. I still don't know if I'm gonna get the 10mm or go with a .357 sig or a 45 I can't make up my mind on what I want i handload so ammo cost don't matter

I would go with the 10mm as its easier to find in stores the 357 Sig, more power/speed also, but I love the way the 357 sig looks and feels...Pointy heavy cartridge with alot of power...just does something for me.

You see the 22TCM?
I Want This LINK

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would go with the 10mm as its easier to find in stores the 357 Sig, more power/speed also, but I love the way the 357 sig looks and feels...Pointy heavy cartridge with alot of power...just does something for me.

You see the 22TCM?
I Want This LINK
I like that cartridge but I don't want a glock style really. Just because of the unsupported chamber.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For a 10mm I'd get a lightly used BrenTen...

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I could afford to drop a used car price on a pistol right now I would. Them damn things is sexy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors