Become a Patron!

Hohm wrecker g2

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone else having an issue with the drivers with the Firmware updater?

4 different computers running either Windows 10 or Windows 7 none of them can connect to the device. All running 64bit Windows, tried installing the packaged driver and none of the drivers are comparable. Checked the driver and it's a rather old driver, written back in 2009.
It took me maybe 30 minutes to upgrade mine. I had to install the fsk updater multiple times. I have windows 8. Eventually, I had to move the fsk and file to the same folder. Then it worked.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It took me maybe 30 minutes to upgrade mine. I had to install the fsk updater multiple times. I have windows 8. Eventually, I had to move the fsk and file to the same folder. Then it worked.
Got a response back from Hohmtech, they claim they don't have an issue on their end. But said they have seen issues with a system with quicktime installed....

I'm going to try it on a Windows Server, nothing funky on that. Problem as I see it is they're using very old, outdated drivers.

Let's see how it works on a Winbloats server ...............

If that doesn't work they did offer to install it for me if I sent it to them, not sure if it's worth the hassle but we'll see.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK tried on a Windows server with "nothing" configured, it's a stock install that I have around for testing purposes. Same bloody thing, I something is very wonky with the drivers for their chipset, I'm thinking that due to them being so old not much is really compatible with it.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you turning on the upgrade port? There is a video on Hohm techs G2 description page that shows you how to do the upgrade, I watched it and the upgrade went fine on my windows 10 machine

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you turning on the upgrade port? There is a video on Hohm techs G2 description page that shows you how to do the upgrade, I watched it and the upgrade went fine on my windows 10 machine
Yes I am, I've watched the vid a few times to insure I'm doing it correctly

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only other thing I can think of is if you're not logged into the administrator account then it won't work.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
OK tried on a Windows server with "nothing" configured, it's a stock install that I have around for testing purposes. Same bloody thing, I something is very wonky with the drivers for their chipset, I'm thinking that due to them being so old not much is really compatible with it.
Have you tried my updater yet? I fixed all the wonky driver issues with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.
Also when you guys go to update have the software open, replace your batteries and then plug it in then go to USB Mode on the G2....you shouldnt have any issues following this and using my edited updater.
Edited Updater LINK

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried my updater yet? I fixed all the wonky driver issues with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.
Also when you guys go to update have the software open, replace your batteries and then plug it in then go to USB Mode on the G2....you shouldnt have any issues following this and using my edited updater.
Edited Updater LINK
Tried it, but what I'm getting when I plug it in is a complaint from Windows that "the USB device to this computer has malfunctioned and Widows does not recognize it." I followed you steps to the tee, it doesn't seem to like the drivers. The one I'm using right now is an AMD 64 bit with Win7 64

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tried it, but what I'm getting when I plug it in is a complaint from Windows that "the USB device to this computer has malfunctioned and Widows does not recognize it." I followed you steps to the tee, it doesn't seem to like the drivers. The one I'm using right now is an AMD 64 bit with Win7 64
I would try a different USB, it may not be transmitting the data correctly and the PC isnt reading what it needs to.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After finally messing about with getting the firmware updated I popped my 30mm X1 on it, this Mod may be ugly as hell but it hits like a beast! Damn I really am impressed! Haven't tried the temp control yet but I really am loving it so far

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
After finally messing about with getting the firmware updated I popped my 30mm X1 on it, this Mod may be ugly as hell but it hits like a beast! Damn I really am impressed! Haven't tried the temp control yet but I really am loving it so far

Drop that baby in xxx mode, adjust the FSK curve and vape away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rossco...you'll have to post a picture...get a kick out of Ray configurations...especially with his Mason on the mod.....:D

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Rossco...you'll have to post a picture...get a kick out of Ray configurations...especially with his Mason on the mod.....:D
You mean like this? Lol
27c17f45fe483ed77f897a73c3e70c68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@r055co is one of our builders from the forum so I dont think he'll be needing my help much but the G2...after you own it and the mods abilities catch your excitement the looks of it fade away quickly and they actually grow on you also....after a bit you wont care at all about the symbols and you will see it as a great mod overall.

Its 24mm Stance is a bit thin for a mod....Its too bad they didnt make it more like a Tres Equis or something with the 510 in the Center.

Overhang is real my friends...
20160324_180607.jpg 20160401_112256.jpg

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm at work, when I get home I'll post a pix of it with my 30mm X1 (btw I really LOVE that RDA).

@r055co is one of our builders from the forum so I dont think he'll be needing my help much but the G2...after you own it and the mods abilities catch your excitement the looks of it fade away quickly and they actually grow on you also....after a bit you wont care at all about the symbols and you will see it as a great mod overall.

Its 24mm Stance is a bit thin for a mod....Its too bad they didnt make it more like a Tres Equis or something with the 510 in the Center.

Overhang is real my friends...
View attachment 52543 View attachment 52544

Nah ya helped me with you're hacked version of the firmware updater, btw what did you change?

Yes and I do wish it was more like the Tres Equis or even the Reuleaux, the box is just plain Fugly, but I've been loving the performance so far with it.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm at work, when I get home I'll post a pix of it with my 30mm X1 (btw I really LOVE that RDA).

Nah ya helped me with you're hacked version of the firmware updater, btw what did you change?

Yes and I do wish it was more like the Tres Equis or even the Reuleaux, the box is just plain Fugly, but I've been loving the performance so far with it.
I just changed some of the directories and included the missing drivers. I told Hohmtech that they should do the same but I dont think they ever changed anything...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I guess I'm liking the G2 'cause I just ordered 3 more in silver. ...the only color left at ecig.com
Talked me into it too, Bear.....bought two more to put in cold storage....good price.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well i got my g2 and so far have yet to find an rda that it likes. builds have been stable in my external readers and across my other devices. but on the g2 it broken atomiser or some such mess. the builds have been .5 to .8 ohms so it is within the range for the device the only one left to try is the rafale x. in terms of tanks the only one i have that it has yet to work on is the aries tank from sigelei still getting the hang of xxx mode and ss mode and all that jazz. Atm it has a starre pro using the 316l aspire clapton head in ss mode in xxx mode the fsk is like 7 to 9 percent of course in ss mode there is no setting unless i missed it in the menu.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
well i got my g2 and so far have yet to find an rda that it likes. builds have been stable in my external readers and across my other devices. but on the g2 it broken atomiser or some such mess. the builds have been .5 to .8 ohms so it is within the range for the device the only one left to try is the rafale x. in terms of tanks the only one i have that it has yet to work on is the aries tank from sigelei still getting the hang of xxx mode and ss mode and all that jazz. Atm it has a starre pro using the 316l aspire clapton head in ss mode in xxx mode the fsk is like 7 to 9 percent of course in ss mode there is no setting unless i missed it in the menu.
Are you resetting the resistance when you put a new atty on?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You may have screwed it in too far once and your insulator may be pushed in, this will cause the Damaged Atty message.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are you resetting the resistance when you put a new atty on?

yes i always make sure to do that when i switch
You may have screwed it in too far once and your insulator may be pushed in, this will cause the Damaged Atty message.
i am thinking it is being pushed in to far so im try adding a washer to the rdas it dont like at some point but my starre pro loves the g2 with xxx mode at 6 percent so im keep it there for a while

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey all you hohm wreckers. I'm slowly making my way through the thread but have a question. I'm going to have a g2 on the way shortly but need to pick up some batteries. What do you recommend for this mod?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey all you hohm wreckers. I'm slowly making my way through the thread but have a question. I'm going to have a g2 on the way shortly but need to pick up some batteries. What do you recommend for this mod?

25R's and I recommend them for everything else you vape on also. Other great batteries are LG HE2/HE4/HB2, Samsung 30Q, AUTHENTIC Sony VTC's...which are iffy to me...

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
LG Brownies.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
That's the hg2's?
If so that's the one of the ones I was leaning toward. Either those, 25r's (of corse) or the hohm tech ones.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
25R's and I recommend them for everything else you vape on also. Other great batteries are LG HE2/HE4/HB2, Samsung 30Q, AUTHENTIC Sony VTC's...which are iffy to me...
I've asked a few battery questions over the last 8 months that I've been vaping and everyone always reverts back to the 25r's for both mech and regulated mods

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm rocking mine with Sony Vtc5's and Samsung 25R's. Avoid as always eFest pipe bombs and other crap batteries. Just check Mooch's recommend batteries and you'll be fine as long as you get them from reputable sources like Liion Wholesale or IMR Batteries.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep just make sure you get them from a reputable place because there are counterfeits floating around.

I like liion. I haven't dealt with them but they test to make sure of authenticity b4 selling and come highly recommended.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I only buy my batteries from them. Love them. Fast shipping and two battery case with every order.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
That's another up side to them as well, yea. Nice to have a good case for your backups

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You can't go wrong with Samsung 25R's. I also have been using LG HG2's in a VT133 lately with great results. I also hear good things about Samsung 30Q's but haven't had a chance to try them yet.. Here's a link to an article that you might find useful. About half way down is also some link to battery vendors. Good Luck!
The Top 5 18650 Batteries for Vaping

Cheers,
Steve

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You can't go wrong with Samsung 25R's. I also have been using LG HG2's in a VT133 lately with great results. I also hear good things about Samsung 30Q's but haven't had a chance to try them yet.. Here's a link to an article that you might find useful. About half way down is also some link to battery vendors. Good Luck!
The Top 5 18650 Batteries for Vaping

Cheers,
Steve
Nice article.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So the whole washer thing....I tried that with my 13 heavens but it doesn't go down far enough. It works without a washer but I have to mess with it. Only an issue in TC mode.

I think the real issue has to do with the thread depth on the g2 510. Shallow threads causes a weak connection. None of my other mods has this problem. This is my opinion so take it how you want it.

f1vefour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So the whole washer thing....I tried that with my 13 heavens but it doesn't go down far enough. It works without a washer but I have to mess with it. Only an issue in TC mode.

I think the real issue has to do with the thread depth on the g2 510. Shallow threads causes a weak connection. None of my other mods has this problem. This is my opinion so take it how you want it.
What are your other devices?

The G2 has a relatively deep 510 (could be 1 or 2mm deeper), just not deep as a few atomizers with overly long 510 connections.

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What are your other devices?

The G2 has a relatively deep 510 (could be 1 or 2mm deeper), just not deep as a few atomizers with overly long 510 connections.
or overlylong center pins

VU Sponsors