Become a Patron!

IPV MINI V2 70w AND SUBOX MINI STARTER KIT

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Black-IPV-Mini-v2-I-503x480.jpeg

Anyone using the IPV MINI V2?

I'm currently using an iStick 20w and iStick 50w with both Nautilus Mini and Subtank Mini Tanks. Both mods work fine with the Nautilus of course, but if I want to use my Subtanks Im obviously forced to use my 50w. I really like my 50w but it can be a bit bulky to carry around at times. Thats why I was considering this IPV MINI V2.

The thing is....
I dont have any experience with IPV and have some questions:
1. Is IPV a quality and relyable brand, andhows the build quality of this box? Are the buttons relyable or known to fail?
2. What are the best kind of batteries to use with this type of box?
3. I noticed you can charge your battery directly through the mod. Thats a plus for me because I dont have an external battery charger. Yet I saw a youtube review saying charging your battery through tje usb port on the mod can ruin the mod. Is this true? If so...why have that as a feature? And what is a good inexpensive battery charger?
4. How long can I expect the battery to last running a Subtank with .5 at 25w?
I dont imagine too long with just a single battery, and that Id have to carry at least 1 spare with me at all times. Is thst a fair assesment?
5. How long do these mods last overall?
Will the hardware last me years and Ill just have to eventually replace batteries, or do the buttons and other things wear out just as fast?
6. How many charge cycles can I expect from these replacable batteries?

Ive aslo considered an iStick 30w for this purpose, but Im starting to not like the idea of having to throw my iSticks away when they stop holding a charge. Its kinda like pissing money down tje pot. At the same time, if mods with replacable batteries break down just as quickly due to hardware issues...I guess it doesnt really matter right?

Last edited:

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And the other reason Im looking at the IPV MINI V2 over the iStick 30w is because of the power. Why limit yourself to 30w when you can have 70w in a mod thats not too much bigger.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 20354

Anyone using the IPV MINI V2?

I'm currently using an iStick 20w and iStick 50w with both Nautilus Mini and Subtank Mini Tanks. Both mods work fine with the Nautilus of course, but if I want to use my Subtanks Im obviously forced to use my 50w. I really like my 50w but it can be a bit bulky to carry around at times. Thats why I was considering this IPV MINI V2.

The thing is....
I dont have any experience with IPV and have some questions:
1. Is IPV a quality and relyable brand, andhows the build quality of this box? Are the buttons relyable or known to fail? Good reliable brand
2. What are the best kind of batteries to use with this type of box? I use Sony's, but any reliable brand will work - Samsung 25Rs are popular
3. I noticed you can charge your battery directly through the mod. Thats a plus for me because I dont have an external battery charger. Yet I saw a youtube review saying charging your battery through tje usb port on the mod can ruin the mod. Is this true? If so...why have that as a feature? And what is a good inexpensive battery charger? I often charge through the USB port - no problems (I believe they were saying it's not a passthrough)
4. How long can I expect the battery to last running a Subtank with .5 at 25w? I get 1 full tank on a battery charge with my subtank minis
I dont imagine too long with just a single battery, and that Id have to carry at least 1 spare with me at all times. Is thst a fair assesment?
5. How long do these mods last overall?
Will the hardware last me years and Ill just have to eventually replace batteries, or do the buttons and other things wear out just as fast?
6. How many charge cycles can I expect from these replacable batteries? depends on the batteries

Ive aslo considered an iStick 30w for this purpose, but Im starting to not like the ideas of having to throw my iSticks away when they stop holding a charge. Its kinda like pissing money down tje pot. At the same time, if mods with replacable batteries break dont just as quickly due to hardware issues...I guess it doesnt really matter right?

I've tried to answer some of your questions above - hope that helps!

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Love my ipv mini v2.. It is a solid well built mod. It is heavier then a iStick 50. I use samsung 25r batteries in it they are 5 to 6 dollars a piece. I would buy a charger for around $20 like the efest luc2. I have never use USB port.
Batteries last around 6hrs for me but that depends on how much you vape I always bring a 2nd with me The ipv mini 2 can be bought at wake and vape for $50.50

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried to answer some of your questions above - hope that helps!

uhhh....where??

Love my ipv mini v2.. It is a solid well built mod. It is heavier then a iStick 50. I use samsung 25r batteries in it they are 5 to 6 dollars a piece. I would buy a charger for around $20 like the efest luc2. I have never use USB port.
Batteries last around 6hrs for me but that depends on how much you vape I always bring a 2nd with me The ipv mini 2 can be bought at wake and vape for $50.50

Thanks for the info Dan.
It's heavier than the 50w?
Really?
Wow...didn't expect to hear that!

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also really like my IPV Mini v2.... They haven't been out very long so ultimately we can't say how long they'll last... but mine feels very solid.

It is better to use a good external charger than the internal one and you'll likely get longer battery life if you do and also if you don't over work your batteries to start with. The internal USB chargers are basic but not all of them are bad and will ruin your mod... any reviewer saying that ( if you didn't misunderstand them ) doesn't know what they are talking about.

Talking in general about any type of rechargeable battery... If they are well taken care of, they can last about a couple of years before they start getting too weak to perform well. Most lithium based batteries will take about 300-500 charge cycles on average. Things that help them live longer, don't discharge below 3.4v ( batteries are rated down to about 3.0v before needing a recharge but it is hard on them ), don't over charge over 4.2v and don't pull more than the rated continuous amperage with even being better.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes it's got weight to it but that let's you know it's well built. It's mini compared to full size dual battery mods. Pretty much the same size as the sx mini

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess the sale is over.
$60 now.
That's Okay...I'm not really an impulse buyer unless the price is just astronomical, and I need to research everything a bit more as well.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The one I saw on sale for just over $50 required a coupon code...

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He did it within the quoted material... I'm not a fan of users doing it like that but some will.

BTW... it is heavier, taller and I think wider ( it's been a while since I held the iTaste 50 )

Ah....Okay.
Had to click the quoted box.
Thanks.

Yeah I knew it was a bit taller, same depth as the iStick 50w, but more narrow. Didn't think it'd be heavier with only one battery though.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also really like my IPV Mini v2.... They haven't been out very long so ultimately we can't say how long they'll last... but mine feels very solid.

It is better to use a good external charger than the internal one and you'll likely get longer battery life if you do and also if you don't over work your batteries to start with. The internal USB chargers are basic but not all of them are bad and will ruin your mod... any reviewer saying that ( if you didn't misunderstand them ) doesn't know what they are talking about.

Talking in general about any type of rechargeable battery... If they are well taken care of, they can last about a couple of years before they start getting too weak to perform well. Most lithium based batteries will take about 300-500 charge cycles on average. Things that help them live longer, don't discharge below 3.4v ( batteries are rated down to about 3.0v before needing a recharge but it is hard on them ), don't over charge over 4.2v and don't pull more than the rated continuous amperage with even being better.

Great info thanks!

I see that your saying its better to use an external charger, but am still a bit unclear by your wording if the internal usb charger will or will not ruin the mod.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes it's got weight to it but that let's you know it's well built. It's mini compared to full size dual battery mods. Pretty much the same size as the sx mini

I had also thought about the new IPV4...
but that thing is HUGE man. If I find my istick 50 a bit irritating to carry around at times, that thing would really piss me off! haha.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
While I do not have the IPV, I do have several mods that can be charged via the USB port. If its a new mod, the first couple of times I charge it that way, I will do it while keeping an eye on it and the mod will also be at the bottom of a big/HUGE ceramic bowl in case something does go wrong. After 2 complete charges, I feel safe and will just plug them in overnight.

It is also very easy to take a spare battery with you. I put a spare in an old pill bottle which is the perfect size and just stick it in my pocket or briefcase. Putting it in a plastic pill bottle or a case made for 18650 batts keeps it from coming in contact with loose metal objects in your pocket and giving you a warm surprise in your nether regions.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Go with a silver IPV Mini 2 if you get one because if you get a black one it will be silver in a couple months anyways lol. I have a wrap on mine but the parts that are exposed are completely silver now and I'm not hard on my mods at all. I have a desk job and just from regular shirt pocket and pants pocket wear the black paint comes off super easily.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had also thought about the new IPV4...
but that thing is HUGE man. If I find my istick 50 a bit irritating to carry around at times, that thing would really piss me off! haha.
I got my ipv4 in yesterday. Put batteries in it tested to make sure it works. Powered it off and went back to using my mini. I have to get some nickel wire to use temp feature. I will be using both but all my rda's are at work so using mini for now

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While I do not have the IPV, I do have several mods that can be charged via the USB port. If its a new mod, the first couple of times I charge it that way, I will do it while keeping an eye on it and the mod will also be at the bottom of a big/HUGE ceramic bowl in case something does go wrong. After 2 complete charges, I feel safe and will just plug them in overnight.

It is also very easy to take a spare battery with you. I put a spare in an old pill bottle which is the perfect size and just stick it in my pocket or briefcase. Putting it in a plastic pill bottle or a case made for 18650 batts keeps it from coming in contact with loose metal objects in your pocket and giving you a warm surprise in your nether regions.

Makes sense.
Good tip about carrying the xtra too.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Go with a silver IPV Mini 2 if you get one because if you get a black one it will be silver in a couple months anyways lol. I have a wrap on mine but the parts that are exposed are completely silver now and I'm not hard on my mods at all. I have a desk job and just from regular shirt pocket and pants pocket wear the black paint comes off super easily.

Thats crazy.
I heard about that as well but didnt know if it was exagerated or not....guess not. Damn it!
I was hoping a wrap would take care of it, but youre right, you cant wrap the edges. Thats disapointint to hear.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great info thanks!

I see that your saying its better to use an external charger, but am still a bit unclear by your wording if the internal usb charger will or will not ruin the mod.

You can't generalize it and say that they will or won't ruin a mod... there are some bad/cheap USB chargers on some mods and there are some that are ok... I believe the one in the IPV's are ok they but still not a great charger and won't help extend the potential life of your battery like a good quality external charger can... I only use mine when I'm without a good charger.

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In case you are still interested, MFS has the mini for $51.50 shipped using coupon code MFS17. Free shipping if you get over $75 (Add a Kanger Subtank). I have one, it has worked flawlessly, feels solid and well made and I have had no problems with USB charging.

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/ipv-mini-2-box-mod-vape-vv-vw.html

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats crazy.
I heard about that as well but didnt know if it was exagerated or not....guess not. Damn it!
I was hoping a wrap would take care of it, but youre right, you cant wrap the edges. Thats disapointint to hear.

For me personally that's really the only "flaw" I could find. The device itself works great and has definitely been my go to mod. I'm sure I will end up getting the IPV4 simply for the double battery set up (temp control also intrigues me I guess!).

The Mini 2 is great but it will chew through batteries if you vape anywhere near or over the 50 watt area. I stay pretty steady at 50 watts for my Billow tanks at work, then at home I run around 60-65 watts with my drippers. I can easily go through 4-5 of the purple efest batteries in the span of an entire day. For me when the mod shows the battery at around half charge is when I swap in a new one and my charger consistently reads 3.6 when I pop the battery on there.

For a Subtank running at 25 watts and single coil you can probably make one battery last for the majority of a day I would think. Depending on the battery I guess.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think the iPV Mini 2 at that sale price is a good choice. I just got my iPV4 from them, they're a solid vendor it seems. I have an iPV3, and Mini 2 as well, so I can speak from my experiences that mine have been great. I would say if the size of a 2 battery mod is really an issue, getting a Mini 2 is smart. It's great, It does eat batteries, though. That's at 45-60 watts with a dual coil .4 RDA. 25 Watts at .5 will be better for sure. If you can get used to the size, I'd consider an iPV4 for dual batteries, future potential to try temperature control, and it's not too much more expensive. Dual batteries alone is worth it. Something to consider. Back to the Mini 2.

You definitely want to get a pair of batteries, LG HE2's and Sony's are what I use. The Samsungs are well liked, and LG's or Samsungs can be had for $15 or less a pair. I haven't even tried charging through USB, I already had a charger. With a single battery mod and specifically this one, which I think is very well made, I'm guessing you'd be ok to charge with the mod, but then you can't vape. It can pass through but is suggested not to, so in my opinion, it can't. Besides all the benefits you potentially get from a dedicated charger, regarding safety, charge speed, accuracy, etc...I also look at it from the respect of a two bay charger of good quality can be had for $15 or maybe less in the Nitecore i2. Then you're putting the stress of charging batteries on a safer dedicated charger, and taking away that much more stress to the mod. Just in it operating less. $15 isn't bad for a charger, and it's cheaper than a new mod, and I'd trust a good charger more than any mod.

The Mini 2 is a good choice, get a pair of batteries and a Nitecore i2 or the Efest Luc V2, and you're set up well and for the future.

Also, if your shopping for a new mod and presumably have the money, I'd get rid of that iStick 50w man. No matter what, really. The things that have been happening with them catching fire etc... are not experiences I'd like to have.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I vape my rda's .4 ohms at 27 to 30w on samsung 25r ( blue babies) and get about 6 hrs out of each 1 but I chain vape. I just bought 3 more of them for $5.33 a piece and upgraded my charger to a efest luc4 that was like $25 after shipping.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I vape my rda's .4 ohms at 27 to 30w on samsung 25r ( blue babies) and get about 6 hrs out of each 1 but I chain vape. I just bought 3 more of them for $5.33 a piece and upgraded my charger to a efest luc4 that was like $25 after shipping.
Where did you order those? That's a deal.

I'd probably have tried the Samsungs if they didn't act up with some Nitecore chargers. I have been intending to get an Xtar, ideally, for a while for the 1 Amp independent channels. Somehow I keep buying mods. Lol. My i4 may be slow, but it does the trick.

And I can vape a battery down to 3.7 chain vaping in about two to three hours. Wattage makes quite a difference.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the normal 30watt IPV mini, and I do like it, had no problems at all in the 2 months I've had it, the only real negative as mentioned already, is the finish is crap on them, I have a wrap on mine, but the black paint is coming off where the wrap isn't covering it, and I am really gentle with my mods, this IPV mini has never been out of my house, and doesn't go in my pockets and still the paint just falls off it, but it does work though, and know you can get silicone covers for it, so that would help a lot.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes my black did the same thing. So if you are getting 1 buy silver. That's why I bought the ipv4 in silver was just a plus that it came out 1st

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I got the normal 30watt IPV mini, and I do like it, had no problems at all in the 2 months I've had it, the only real negative as mentioned already, is the finish is crap on them, I have a wrap on mine, but the black paint is coming off where the wrap isn't covering it, and I am really gentle with my mods, this IPV mini has never been out of my house, and doesn't go in my pockets and still the paint just falls off it, but it does work though, and know you can get silicone covers for it, so that would help a lot.
Mine is still relatively new, and was wrapped after about three weeks or so, but the black has only been marked by attys, so hoping I got lucky? Everyone says the black strips fast, hope mine stays as it has.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mine is still relatively new, and was wrapped after about three weeks or so, but the black has only been marked by attys, so hoping I got lucky? Everyone says the black strips fast, hope mine stays as it has.

Mine was good for about 5-6 weeks and then just started rubbing off at the bottom, guess from the palm of my hand while vaping, think I will get one of them silicone covers for it, as the chip has been faultless so far, and for me the I'd rather have a mod with a good chip than one with perfect build quality and shit chip, like my zero clone for example, which just sits in a draw, because chip is junk.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Mine was good for about 5-6 weeks and then just started rubbing off at the bottom, guess from the palm of my hand while vaping, think I will get one of them silicone covers for it, as the chip has been faultless so far, and for me the I'd rather have a mod with a good chip than one with perfect build quality and shit chip, like my zero clone for example, which just sits in a draw, because chip is junk.
Mines about six weeks, so we shall see how I fare. The thing is well built, I only worry and am careful about the battery door threads. Well made mod, hefty in a good way, and an ergonomic design.

And yes, I'm impressed with the various iterations of the SX-330 chip. I have three that are great. YIHI seems to put out an economical, yet high quality chip. I'm down.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If looking at a charger and trying to stay affordable... I'd recommend the Xtar's first and then eFest... never Nitecore which has been shown to kill batteries early by Edward at Sun-Vapors... Pila is probably the top of the line brand but comes at a price.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mines about six weeks, so we shall see how I fare. The thing is well built, I only worry and am careful about the battery door threads.

Forgot about the battery cover threads. I can see where someone could easily cross thread it and ruin the cap but I've been lucky so far! The threads are really soft feeling so I tend to take my sweet time screwing it back on.

rudogg760

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
People keep saying to get the ipv4 cause of the dual batteries but arent they running in series? So its not any longer than a single batt? Just running at 8.4 volts? Im still new to high power regulated

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
People keep saying to get the ipv4 cause of the dual batteries but arent they running in series? So its not any longer than a single batt? Just running at 8.4 volts? Im still new to high power regulated
series vs paralel only real difference is one stacks the voltage. the capacity however increases with both.

Last edited:

rudogg760

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So why would someone even use parallel if they both increase mah but series also increases volts as well.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So why would someone even use parallel if they both increase mah but series also increases volts as well.
depends what they want the mod to do. some mechanical box mods just use paralel just to increase the capacity but keep voltage in the 3.7ish realm.
Google is your friend. do diligence and be safe see what works for you and your vaping style there is no right or wrong just what works for you.

rudogg760

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the reply. I have much to learn, google i will

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
series vs paralel only real difference is one stacks the voltage. the capacity however increases with both.

This is wrong...

In parallel you only double the capacity... in series you only double the voltage...

So a mod running in parallel can run twice as long as a single battery mod... but also consider that if you have an extra battery for the single bat mod, that you should get the same vape time that the dual bat mod would have but you aren't always carrying around two batteries in the mod itself. So you can be holding a smaller sized mod and vape as long as you would with a dual setup... if you are willing to carry a spare and change the battery out.

I'm unable to answer if the iPV4 is wired in series or parallel... I wasn't paying much attention to it since I wasn't looking for a new mod yet.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all of the great info everyone.
This sounds like a quality mod and possibly a good addition to my vaping adventure. I'll probably have to wait 2-3 more weeks to get funds for everything as Mother's Day and a couple birthdays have me tapped. Hopefully I can still find one of these great sales above at that time.
At least it gives me a bit of time to do the research on the batteries and chargers though. I really have no clue to those yet.

As I said before...
I've also considered the IPV4, but It IS pretty bulky.
I don't mind a bulky mod for home use and stuff like that.
Hell I actually prefer my 50w at home.
But for on the go type of situations, I prefer my 20w because it's compact.
The problem is I can't use my Subtank with it.
That's why it's kind of a toss up between the iStick 30w and this IPV MINI 70w.
So far...it kinda seems like the IPV MINI 70w is the better purchase even though it's a bit more expensive and requires batteries and a charger.

It's good to hear that the batteries may last me a bit longer because I'm only vaping at .5 and 25w right now though. It isn't that I don't want to go higher, it's that my Subtank seems to start giving off a burnt taste anywhere between 28w-30w for some reason. Doesn't matter if I'm using the stock OCC Coils or the RBA deck. Is that normal for the Subtank Mini?

Last edited:

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is pretty normal for the subtank mini to get dry hits right around that wattage. A person could try and remedy that by either filing out the juice channels in the RBA head or I've seen other say something about poking a pin through the OCC heads for better juice absorbtion. My wife loves hers with the OCC heads but she is a lower wattage vaper and doesn't have to really worry about dry hits or burning the cotton.

My personal experience with the mini is kinda meh. I really like the idea more than the actual product if that make sense. I've grown too accustomed to dual coil drippers and RTA's like the Billow or Orchids so the subtank mini is pretty underwhelming for me.

However, if a person was just getting off of smokes I think its a great tank and wish it were an option when I gave up the stinkies! Fighting with protanks and shit like that got old fast but I hung in there!

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Royalty is where I get the majority of my stuff including batteries and chargers. I can tell you that it is not the cheapest place to buy things but I've had great service from them and the shipping is really fast.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Burnt taste... has several possible causes... just a couple here

Certain juice flavors will burn ( so to speak ) quicker than others... while there is often no rhyme or reason... it seems lighter more delicate flavors are prone to it.

Getting enough juice to the coils so they kept cooled down... since a thicker juice will not wick as quickly, you'll see it with these more often. On a bottom feed tank, like a Subtank, if you close off the air flow a little, it increases the back pressure and will help wick the juice quicker. Also taking slower pulls can help in some cases. On the otherhand, if you do close off the air flow too much, it can over wick and leak slightly since more juice than can be evaporated is coming in and has to go somewhere.

VU Sponsors