Become a Patron!

IPV MINI V2 70w AND SUBOX MINI STARTER KIT

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is pretty normal for the subtank mini to get dry hits right around that wattage. A person could try and remedy that by either filing out the juice channels in the RBA head or I've seen other say something about poking a pin through the OCC heads for better juice absorbtion. My wife loves hers with the OCC heads but she is a lower wattage vaper and doesn't have to really worry about dry hits or burning the cotton.

My personal experience with the mini is kinda meh. I really like the idea more than the actual product if that make sense. I've grown too accustomed to dual coil drippers and RTA's like the Billow or Orchids so the subtank mini is pretty underwhelming for me.

However, if a person was just getting off of smokes I think its a great tank and wish it were an option when I gave up the stinkies! Fighting with protanks and shit like that got old fast but I hung in there!

I had been a smoker for over 20 years and I started vaping on FRIDAY THE 13TH back in February.
I completely stopped smoking in under a week believe it or not.
I started out with Mini Nautilus Tanks and moved into the Subtank Mini last month. That was a huge improvement over the Nautilus for me, but I do still use the Nautilus on a daily basis right now because of less juice consumption, and being very portable.
The flavor from the Subtank is what really hooked me.
So far I've been buying juice at a pretty expensive rate, so using my Subtank had been pretty mellow. Yesterday I found a shop that sells juice at half the price as the one I've been using, so hopefully that will allow me to use my Subtank in the manner that I would like. Just hope the juice quality is as good.

I haven't got into dripping yet.
Not sure if I will or not.
I really like being able to take along a couple full tanks with different flavors that are somewhat hassle free.
I've heard both the flavor and vapor of dripping can't be beat though.
It's still a bit daunting for me at this stage because I don't know much about building but time will tell.
A couple months ago I didn't think I'd ever want a Subtank...
so I guess progression is inevitable, right?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will often use Sun-Vapers and/or RTDVapor for mine... They may be higher sometimes but they are known quality and never clones. Some companies carry clones/fakes and many don't even know it ( and of course some do know it ).

Do Vape Shops overcharge in comparison to say an electronics shop?
Or do electronics shops even carry suitable stuff for vaping?

Yeah...I've notice too that some flavors tend to get a burnt taste quicker than others at the same wattage. I use all Max VG juices, so that might be part of the problem. (by Max VG I mean no extra PG is added. I'm sure there is some PG in the flavoring )

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The flavor you get on a dripper is a little better but tanks like the Atlantis and Subtank began to challenge that and the newer sub ohm tanks are said to be even better.

I use my drippers to only taste test or vape several different flavors on some evenings... most of the time, I now only use these newer tanks.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will poking a pin through the cotton on the stock coils help or will it flood the tank and cause leaking?

How about the filing method?
I heard that Kanger has tried to correct this by cutting the juice channels differently in the newer RBA heads. I do have the newer style.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do Vape Shops overcharge in comparison to say an electronics shop?
Or do electronics shops even carry suitable stuff for vaping?

You can't be so general to classify them like that. Each store will differ whether they are a vape or electronics shop. I can say that stores like Radio Shack are unlikely to have what we use ... but other electronics shops may carry them.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Royalty is where I get the majority of my stuff including batteries and chargers. I can tell you that it is not the cheapest place to buy things but I've had great service from them and the shipping is really fast.

I've used Vape Royalty in the past as well for several things.
And you're right, they're definitely not cheap but do have good service.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The flavor you get on a dripper is a little better but tanks like the Atlantis and Subtank began to challenge that and the newer sub ohm tanks are said to be even better.

I use my drippers to only taste test or vape several different flavors on some evenings... most of the time, I now only use these newer tanks.

Which of the newer tanks have you found to have better flavor than drippers?

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Which of the newer tanks have you found to have better flavor than drippers?

As I already said... the Atlantis and Subtanks are already very close... I haven't bought others since I got the Subtanks since I like them a lot already and they use lower wattages ( 25-30w ) than the others which can go up to 100+ watts just depending on which one and the users preferences.

It's a slim chance that you'll find someone that's tried them all... so just read posts about them and try stitching the stories and reports together. Of course, like everything many things are subjective... so factor in that not everyones opinion will match your's or others for that matter.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had been a smoker for over 20 years and I started vaping on FRIDAY THE 13TH back in February.
I completely stopped smoking in under a week believe it or not.
I started out with Mini Nautilus Tanks and moved into the Subtank Mini last month. That was a huge improvement over the Nautilus for me, but I do still use the Nautilus on a daily basis right now because of less juice consumption, and being very portable.
The flavor from the Subtank is what really hooked me.
So far I've been buying juice at a pretty expensive rate, so using my Subtank had been pretty mellow. Yesterday I found a shop that sells juice at half the price as the one I've been using, so hopefully that will allow me to use my Subtank in the manner that I would like. Just hope the juice quality is as good.

I haven't got into dripping yet.
Not sure if I will or not.
I really like being able to take along a couple full tanks with different flavors that are somewhat hassle free.
I've heard both the flavor and vapor of dripping can't be beat though.
It's still a bit daunting for me at this stage because I don't know much about building but time will tell.
A couple months ago I didn't think I'd ever want a Subtank...
so I guess progression is inevitable, right?

Congrats on the quitting smoking! I know how much I used to love it, but now I can't even stand the smell of second hand smoke. I was a heavy smoker for approximately 15 years I would say.

As far as dripping and rebuilding. I will say I was very intimidated by it at first before I actually tried it myself and found out rebuilding isn't actually that hard at all, just takes practice really. You can build a dripper so many different ways so its really hard to answer the question about dripping being better flavor wise. The majority of that depends on your coil build, device, etc. I like dripping for things like when I'm out golfing or fishing and I can just put some drops on a coil and give it hell, instead of having to worry about a tank going dry or potentially breaking the glass, or leaking. Things like that.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm a dripper I have 2 subtanks but never use them, the wife does. While they have good flavor it's no where near the derringer rda. That's my adv choice. You need to try dripping don't be intimidated by rebuilding it's real easy now with tools like the coil master Just keep it simple 26g or 27g on a 2.5 jig 5 raps dual coil and bam you got huge flavor.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer the Magma over my Derringer for flavor... but to say that the Subtank and other subohm tanks don't get near those in flavor is pure hype... drippers are better but only by a small degree and anyone saying different is fooling themselves or outright lying...

kathibg57

Member For 4 Years
Great info thanks!

I see that your saying its better to use an external charger, but am still a bit unclear by your wording if the internal usb charger will or will not ruin the mod.
I'm on my 2nd ipv2 mini 70W due to charging port failure approximately one month after delivery. I ALWAYS used the port for charging but remembered hearing it shouldn't be used as a pass through (now I know why!) the company I bought it from was wonderful about no hassle replacement even though they have a 14 day return policy and could easily have kicked me back to manufacturer. At the same time, I was specifically told (warned?) that all of the IPV's were known to have issues with the charging ports and that I shouldn't use it for charging and DEFINITELY not as a pass through (much more movement when vaping while charging). I asked what the port was there for if Pioneer4You/Asmodeous knew there was a problem with them and the response was that "it's a design flaw"! If you want a mod with a functional pass through I'd strongly recommend you pick a different mod.
I do REALLY like this mod. It feels real nice in my hand, hits great, is made with nice solid materials (I think some of these "minis" feel a bit flimsy).
IMO, it has 2 cons... The first being the charging port as I really like to be lazy and leave the batteries in my mods for charging (arthritic hands and screw drivers don't get along well) and I like to use the pass thru while driving if my battery starts running down.
The second con is the finish. The first one I had was "silver" and although it looked and felt like brushed stainless, it is just aluminum (I'm pretty sure of that anyway) but the bottom line is that even being really careful with my new mod, it still got all scratched up just from using it. The replacement they sent me is a black one as that was all they had in stock. It is a great looking mod with a nice high gloss shine to it but that also makes it a bit slippery feeling. After much reading and several phone calls I've learned that their paint is known to scratch real easily and there were a few complaints about the paint also chipping easily like from a fall. I'm not thrilled with the thought of having to pay another $15-20 for a skin for it (especially since I have 2 clear ones that I won on Mod Envy and never got around to putting it on my Cloupor 30W box - whatever...).
So, 2 cons are charging port issues (just DO NOT USE) and paint/finish scratches/chips even with conscientious daily use.
The pros? Everything I was looking for in a well made, good quality mini box mod. I really do love my IPV2 mini 70W mod!! I will learn to live with/deal with the cons...I like it enough to buy another if I had the money!
Hope all this helps.

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
I'll chime in, I've had my mini 2 for a while now 2+ months. I love it, runs anything I want build and atty wise. Cons are the same mentioned Black paint rubs off (I custom wrapped it with metallic black 3M wrap), Battery life is not great (Samsung 25r and authentic VTC5) 4 to 6 hours, and in the last week I have developed a fire button rattle. But I wouldn't trade it as it travels well, I also have a Sig 100 v2 , Sig mini (great little mod), istick 30, and mini cloupor (and tons of mech's), The IPV mini 2 gets probably 75% of my daily usage with a UD Goblin, or Kanger Sub if I am out and about for a long day.
I pick up 25R batteries from Lightning Vapes $11.83 a pair with coupon and free shipping, and my D4 charger from Amazon (I live in the sticks so prime is a must).

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've played with the IPV Mini V2 and an Arctic tank at 60 watts and loved that setup...it was what I got my friend into since I don't need another mod and I wanted to try it and see if it was any good...i will tell you my friend is a clutz, we had to find him something that could take some abuse and so far the Mini V2 is holding up like a champ....he also got a Segelei 100 watt V2 and managed to destroy it the first day to give you a reference point of it's durability. The Yihi chips are great but I will warn you that their output is a bit off at the higher wattages, I just posted a thread about it here....

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/segelei-150-and-other-sx-330-mods-voltage-off.81521/

But at the output range of the mini it's not really a big deal, just something to know if you're looking at a IPV 3 or a Segelei 150 for the future. Also, the Yihi chips don't seem to have quite the efficiency of the evolv chips as with my DNA 40 set at 25 watts I can get 2 tanks easily out of my Subtank mini with a .5 ohm stock head.

Also, just for information because I saw it discussed earlier in this thread...the dual battery SX-330 mods are series mods because you simply cannot (at least safely) power a regulated mod that puts out more than 60-70 watts with any single 18650 battery we have available to us at the moment. So to solve this problem they run two batteries in series and then step down the voltage because with higher voltage you need less amps to produce the same amount of watts.

Running a dual battery mod is parallel effectively gives you twice the battery life as well as twice the continuous drain limit that you would have with the same mod only running a single battery but it's max voltage output is still 4.2 volts. For example, if I am running a mod with 2 Samsung 25R's in parallel instead of getting 20 amps continuous drain at 2500 mah, I get 40 amps at 5000 mah because I am effectively splitting the load between 2 batteries and since they're sharing the work load each battery takes half of the stress applied to it.

Where as running batteries in series I only get double the output voltage. So if I am running the same 2 Samsung 25R's in series I get 20 amps continuous drain at 2500 mah but with a voltage output of 8.4 volts. Running in series doesn't really give you extra battery life like running in parallel. It can give the appearance of it with some regulated mods as the mod is stepping down the voltage and with the high voltage output you might not be pulling a lot of amps out of the battery so it gives the appearance of a longer run time (ie.... a 1 ohm coil on a device that is 90 percent efficient running at 40 watts and 4.2 volts draws 10.58 amps off the battery, the same coil drawing power from 2 batteries in series draws 5.29 amp at 8.4 volts. Because you have twice the voltage and half the amp draw it gives the appearance of longer battery life but in reality two batteries in series last the same as a single battery and a mod running in parallel will last twice as long as the parallel setup has twice the mah to do the same a single battery setup. Running batteries in series is also more stressful on them as one works harder than the other and that's why the should be rotated every charge...but I am getting sidetracked) Also, because these mods are regulated by a chipset, their battery configuration isn't the only thing determining their lifespan, the chipsets efficiency plays a big part in it as well.

Just some useful info to have, the bottom line and all that aside, I give a +1 for the IPV mini v2, it's a tough little mod that gets the job done. Oh, someone else touched on it, but the reason why it's better to take the batteries out and charge them on a good charger as apposed to a USB charger is that a good intelligent charger will monitor the batteries as it charges, makes sure that they are properly charged, and some of them won't even charge a battery in to bad of health...as apposed to the little USB charges in the mods that just know when to start and stop the charge. Also, some people mistake the onboard USB charger port for giving the mod a "passthrough" option (being able to vape the mod while charging,) were the mod's chipset might not have the software written into it to incorporate that feature and trying to drain the batteries while charging them can cause problems...there have been issues with this in other IPV mods so despite the PITA it is I would recommend always charging the batteries on a good solid charger...and if you're feeling handy...with a drill and about 4 bucks worth of rare earth magnets you can convert the back door to a magnetic instead of screw held one...

Happy vaping and cheers! :)

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Congrats on the quitting smoking! I know how much I used to love it, but now I can't even stand the smell of second hand smoke. I was a heavy smoker for approximately 15 years I would say.

As far as dripping and rebuilding. I will say I was very intimidated by it at first before I actually tried it myself and found out rebuilding isn't actually that hard at all, just takes practice really. You can build a dripper so many different ways so its really hard to answer the question about dripping being better flavor wise. The majority of that depends on your coil build, device, etc. I like dripping for things like when I'm out golfing or fishing and I can just put some drops on a coil and give it hell, instead of having to worry about a tank going dry or potentially breaking the glass, or leaking. Things like that.
I'm a dripper I have 2 subtanks but never use them, the wife does. While they have good flavor it's no where near the derringer rda. That's my adv choice. You need to try dripping don't be intimidated by rebuilding it's real easy now with tools like the coil master Just keep it simple 26g or 27g on a 2.5 jig 5 raps dual coil and bam you got huge flavor.

I'm sure I will get into it eventually...
What are some of the better attys to use with regulated box mods?
One guy that I purchase various supplies from monthly raves about his Goblin, but at this point I dont know one from another or even what to look for in an rebuildable.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm on my 2nd ipv2 mini 70W due to charging port failure approximately one month after delivery. I ALWAYS used the port for charging but remembered hearing it shouldn't be used as a pass through (now I know why!) the company I bought it from was wonderful about no hassle replacement even though they have a 14 day return policy and could easily have kicked me back to manufacturer. At the same time, I was specifically told (warned?) that all of the IPV's were known to have issues with the charging ports and that I shouldn't use it for charging and DEFINITELY not as a pass through (much more movement when vaping while charging). I asked what the port was there for if Pioneer4You/Asmodeous knew there was a problem with them and the response was that "it's a design flaw"! If you want a mod with a functional pass through I'd strongly recommend you pick a different mod.
I do REALLY like this mod. It feels real nice in my hand, hits great, is made with nice solid materials (I think some of these "minis" feel a bit flimsy).
IMO, it has 2 cons... The first being the charging port as I really like to be lazy and leave the batteries in my mods for charging (arthritic hands and screw drivers don't get along well) and I like to use the pass thru while driving if my battery starts running down.
The second con is the finish. The first one I had was "silver" and although it looked and felt like brushed stainless, it is just aluminum (I'm pretty sure of that anyway) but the bottom line is that even being really careful with my new mod, it still got all scratched up just from using it. The replacement they sent me is a black one as that was all they had in stock. It is a great looking mod with a nice high gloss shine to it but that also makes it a bit slippery feeling. After much reading and several phone calls I've learned that their paint is known to scratch real easily and there were a few complaints about the paint also chipping easily like from a fall. I'm not thrilled with the thought of having to pay another $15-20 for a skin for it (especially since I have 2 clear ones that I won on Mod Envy and never got around to putting it on my Cloupor 30W box - whatever...).
So, 2 cons are charging port issues (just DO NOT USE) and paint/finish scratches/chips even with conscientious daily use.
The pros? Everything I was looking for in a well made, good quality mini box mod. I really do love my IPV2 mini 70W mod!! I will learn to live with/deal with the cons...I like it enough to buy another if I had the money!
Hope all this helps.

Thanks for posting this Kathi.
I definitely wont be trying to charge it with the usb port after reading all of these posts...especially yours.

You might give 707 smart skins a try.
They're only like $8
I have the black wood grain wraps from them on my istick 20 and 50 and they are holding up great. They also fit perfectly on those 2 mods. Im not sure if they offer the black wood grain for the IPV MINI 70W or not, but its worth a look. I know they make a black snake skin for it though. Here's the item number:
eBay item number:201337156167

I see other dealers have the black wood grain for it, but i wont vouch for them...and it doesnt look anywhere near as good as the ones I got from 707 smart skins.
Another thing I wanted to point out about their wraps is tje black wood grain and snake skins seems to be a textured black vinyl rather than a smooth color printed on type. Meaning.... the color shouldnt rub off like printed on designs will. Ya know what I mean?

Last edited:

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll chime in, I've had my mini 2 for a while now 2+ months. I love it, runs anything I want build and atty wise. Cons are the same mentioned Black paint rubs off (I custom wrapped it with metallic black 3M wrap), Battery life is not great (Samsung 25r and authentic VTC5) 4 to 6 hours, and in the last week I have developed a fire button rattle. But I wouldn't trade it as it travels well, I also have a Sig 100 v2 , Sig mini (great little mod), istick 30, and mini cloupor (and tons of mech's), The IPV mini 2 gets probably 75% of my daily usage with a UD Goblin, or Kanger Sub if I am out and about for a long day.
I pick up 25R batteries from Lightning Vapes $11.83 a pair with coupon and free shipping, and my D4 charger from Amazon (I live in the sticks so prime is a must).

I've played with the IPV Mini V2 and an Arctic tank at 60 watts and loved that setup...it was what I got my friend into since I don't need another mod and I wanted to try it and see if it was any good...i will tell you my friend is a clutz, we had to find him something that could take some abuse and so far the Mini V2 is holding up like a champ....he also got a Segelei 100 watt V2 and managed to destroy it the first day to give you a reference point of it's durability. The Yihi chips are great but I will warn you that their output is a bit off at the higher wattages, I just posted a thread about it here....

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/segelei-150-and-other-sx-330-mods-voltage-off.81521/

But at the output range of the mini it's not really a big deal, just something to know if you're looking at a IPV 3 or a Segelei 150 for the future. Also, the Yihi chips don't seem to have quite the efficiency of the evolv chips as with my DNA 40 set at 25 watts I can get 2 tanks easily out of my Subtank mini with a .5 ohm stock head.

Also, just for information because I saw it discussed earlier in this thread...the dual battery SX-330 mods are series mods because you simply cannot (at least safely) power a regulated mod that puts out more than 60-70 watts with any single 18650 battery we have available to us at the moment. So to solve this problem they run two batteries in series and then step down the voltage because with higher voltage you need less amps to produce the same amount of watts.

Running a dual battery mod is parallel effectively gives you twice the battery life as well as twice the continuous drain limit that you would have with the same mod only running a single battery but it's max voltage output is still 4.2 volts. For example, if I am running a mod with 2 Samsung 25R's in parallel instead of getting 20 amps continuous drain at 2500 mah, I get 40 amps at 5000 mah because I am effectively splitting the load between 2 batteries and since they're sharing the work load each battery takes half of the stress applied to it.

Where as running batteries in series I only get double the output voltage. So if I am running the same 2 Samsung 25R's in series I get 20 amps continuous drain at 2500 mah but with a voltage output of 8.4 volts. Running in series doesn't really give you extra battery life like running in parallel. It can give the appearance of it with some regulated mods as the mod is stepping down the voltage and with the high voltage output you might not be pulling a lot of amps out of the battery so it gives the appearance of a longer run time (ie.... a 1 ohm coil on a device that is 90 percent efficient running at 40 watts and 4.2 volts draws 10.58 amps off the battery, the same coil drawing power from 2 batteries in series draws 5.29 amp at 8.4 volts. Because you have twice the voltage and half the amp draw it gives the appearance of longer battery life but in reality two batteries in series last the same as a single battery and a mod running in parallel will last twice as long as the parallel setup has twice the mah to do the same a single battery setup. Running batteries in series is also more stressful on them as one works harder than the other and that's why the should be rotated every charge...but I am getting sidetracked) Also, because these mods are regulated by a chipset, their battery configuration isn't the only thing determining their lifespan, the chipsets efficiency plays a big part in it as well.

Just some useful info to have, the bottom line and all that aside, I give a +1 for the IPV mini v2, it's a tough little mod that gets the job done. Oh, someone else touched on it, but the reason why it's better to take the batteries out and charge them on a good charger as apposed to a USB charger is that a good intelligent charger will monitor the batteries as it charges, makes sure that they are properly charged, and some of them won't even charge a battery in to bad of health...as apposed to the little USB charges in the mods that just know when to start and stop the charge. Also, some people mistake the onboard USB charger port for giving the mod a "passthrough" option (being able to vape the mod while charging,) were the mod's chipset might not have the software written into it to incorporate that feature and trying to drain the batteries while charging them can cause problems...there have been issues with this in other IPV mods so despite the PITA it is I would recommend always charging the batteries on a good solid charger...and if you're feeling handy...with a drill and about 4 bucks worth of rare earth magnets you can convert the back door to a magnetic instead of screw held one...

Happy vaping and cheers! :)

Thanks for the detailed post!

kathibg57

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for posting this Kathi.
I definitely wont be trying to charge it with the usb port after reading all of these posts...especially yours.

You might give 707 smart skins a try.
They're only like $8
I have the black wood grain wraps from them on my istick 20 and 50 and they are holding up great. They also fit perfectly on those 2 mods. Im not sure if they offer the black wood grain for the IPV MINI 70W or not, but its worth a look. I know they make a black snake skin for it though. Here's the item number:
eBay item number:201337156167

I see other dealers have the black wood grain for it, but i wont vouch for them...and it doesnt look anywhere near as good as the ones I got from 707 smart skins.
Another thing I wanted to point out about their wraps is tje black wood grain and snake skins seems to be a textured black vinyl rather than a smooth color printed on type. Meaning.... the color shouldnt rub off like printed on designs will. Ya know what I mean?
Thank You!!! I really appreciate it. I never thought to check eBay! I'm heading there now!!

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For all you subtank mini users:
When re-wicking, what is the best way to clean the RBA deck?

I don't imagine you have to put in a new coil each time you re-wick just for a juice flavor change, but if you're re-wicking, why not clean everything a bit at the same time, right?

Is just running the deck under water sufficient for this, or should something else be used?
And when cleaning to do a rebuild, should the deck be taken completely apart?

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To clean coils I run under water, dry it , screw deck on mod and dry burn it a few times to burn off gunk. Let it cool and rewick it.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Dan.
When you go to change out a coil, do you take the deck apart and clean it with something or just the same as you stated above?

As for my Nautilus tanks....
Once a month I'll let the base hardware soak in Vodka, but thats completely different than that Subtank RBA deck.
I didnt know if I should be pulling it all apart, screws, insulator and bottom, to do the same type of thing.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I put in a new coil I either rinse the base under the tap, or (if it's been a while) pop it in the UC with hot water and a tiny bit of detergent for one or two cycles.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh...okay.
Yeah I dont have an ultrasonic cleaner.
I think my sister has something like that for her jewelry, but its probably not the same thing.

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No need to take post or anything apart. Just rinse and dry burn coils

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you had any trouble with the insulator on the deck melting?
I heard this was a problem on the older Subtank batches, but I've also read that even the newer ones like mine have failed.
I wouldn't think I'd have that problem vaping at only 25w with a 0.5 but you never know I guess. Supposedly, if you contact Kanger they will send you a new insulator for free, but I'm not positive on that.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No problem. I chain vape all of mine at 25 watts and the insulator is fine.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i only vape at 25 to 30w so no problems for me so far
No problem. I chain vape all of mine at 25 watts and the insulator is fine.

Thats good to hear.

Have either of you tried the insulator drip tip connections to reduce the heat?
I have a Delrin connection that sits between my Subtank and the drip tip.
Looks really nice but zero functionality imho.
The drip tip gets just as hot as running it without it.
I thought about trying Youde's heat sink top cap, but can't see it really working either, Maybe even less because it's stainless.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well everyone....
I sure appreciate all of your posts and opinions about the IPV MINI 70w,
BUT I think I've scratched that idea. Not because of anything that anyone had to say about it, but because of this:

R0017893_1024x1024__89965.jpeg

SuBox_Mini_Kit_Black_14495.jpeg

SuBox_Mini_Black_50063.jpeg

As you know I was looking for a more pocketable thinner mod to run with my Subtank Mini. The IPV MINI 70w seemed to fit the bill perfectly until I saw that Kanger was releasing this little guy. Yeah...it's 20w underpowered in comparison, but I can't use my Subtank any higher than 30w right now anyways, so this new Subox Mini might just be the better route to go...at least for me.

I also like the design of this much better. My only gripe with the IPV was it's backwards grip. At least it seemed backwards to me. I prefer to fire my Vape with the tank closest to me and with my thumb. As you know the IPV has more of a trigger finger fire button in that orientation. That kinda irritated me but it was something that I was willing to live with and try to get used to. And because of the way the IPV is set up, the screen seemed backwards to me as well. Guess I just got used to the way my iStick 20w is....Idk. Anyhow... this new Subox Mini seems to have it all just how I like it.
Not to mention it comes with that nice looking black Subtank Mini! That's a nice extra as well for me. I was going to buy another Subtank Mini to go with the IPV anyways but now I don't have to. And this new version of the Subtank Mini is also supposed to have better airflow, better RBA deck, and be able to handle higher wattage. So That's a plus as well!

The only thing left to do is find a reputable online Vape Shop to pre-order from.
Can any of you help me out with that?
The shops that I always use aren't offering them for pre-order.
There's a place called CIGABUY which has it for $52 but its China based and I'm afraid it might be a rip-off like Fastech. I generally don't like ordering from China unless it's from the manufacturers themselves.
That being said...would it be best to order from Kangertech directly?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Dan.
I'll give them a look.
You ever done business with them?
Do they stand behind their products?
Any known issues with this shop?

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I pulled the trigger on the pre-order.
Guess we'll see if I get lucky or kick myself.
I just couldnt pass up the deal of $58 with free shipping from Vaper Street. I talked with them for a while and they said theyre one of the top retailers in the USA and dont have the same delay problems with pre-orders that other do...bla...bla...bla. Ill take that with a grain of salt. We'll see if they're full of it or not.

Getting it super fast and being the first one to have it isnt really my kind of deal anyways. Hell... all of my friends are still heavy smokers, stuff like this doesn't impress them any...just me. Haha. I just wanted to grab one at a decent price and not have to worry about it being fake. So that part I think has been accomplished. Now I dont havebto worry about where or when I can get one. Ill just know its on the way....sometime.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just hope the damn paint doesn't rub off and scratch real easy like I heard it does on the IPV MINI V2.
Both of my iSticks started to scuff pretty easily too, and I wasn't hard on them at all. Just a soft pocket. Nothing that wraps couldn't fix but come on guys...when you know something will be going in and out of a pocket, you'd think the manufacturer could use some decent finish. Maybe try some black powder coat or something. ;)

Triplenickel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really dis my IPVmini2, but yeah its gonna be much heavier than the Istick50, it seems to be built pretty solid, actually feels built a little better built than the IPV4 but I'm sure that has something to do with t he plastic battery door on it. Its defiantly more rugged than the IPV2x I had was. I've only charged it with the built in charger a couple times, your better off getting a decent charger, 20$ or so will get you a nice 2 bay charger. and at 25-30 watts you should get pretty decent battery life.

Triplenickel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just hope the damn paint doesn't rub off and scratch real easy like I heard it does on the IPV MINI V2.
Both of my iSticks started to scuff pretty easily too, and I wasn't hard on them at all. Just a soft pocket. Nothing that wraps couldn't fix but come on guys...when you know something will be going in and out of a pocket, you'd think the manufacturer could use some decent finish. Maybe try some black powder coat or something. ;)

the paint scuffs super easy on my IPVMini2, im super easy on it and it has scratches all over it. I would think powdersoat or something would hold up better, im gonna grab a silicone sleeve or wrap for it

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Almost all paint will chip easy, i think its better to get mods that are raw metal. You can polish them if the get beat up.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's why I was saying they should black powder coat the things.
Yeah...powder coat can scratch too, but not nearly as easy as these things.
And if it's just going in and out of pockets I doubt it would chip .
Powder coat is pretty damn tough.
I have some black powder coated light brackets on my Rig that's always in the mud and having to be scrubbed on...and it hasn't chipped off of those, so I think It'd hold you pretty well on these little things. :)

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't heard any complaints about the black Kbox finish and I was assuming it would be the same. I think it's a ceramic finish like someone would find on guns. Of couse I don't have one in my hands to know for sure.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought a few of these on FASTTECH tonight.
Im thinking they might be a good addition to use with the new set-up and black drip tip.
Ive heard conflicting statements of the new black drip tips.
Some have stated its black delrin, but theres a new video out on YouTube where a guy is doing a "first look" video on both the black and white versions.....
He's saying that the white version comes with a plastic drip tip while the black version's drip tip is actually metal.
That being said...the tip will get pretty hot and these might come in handy as well as look pretty nice when paired with the black version.:)

Studio_20150524_235135.jpg Studio_20150524_235014.png Studio_20150524_235156.jpg Studio_20150524_235044.png

FYI - There are also some nice white and black swirled drip tip insulators there as well, but I think they may be temporarily sold out.:(
That may also happen with these after these mods hit the shelves.;)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors