Become a Patron!

Is everyone sub-ohm vaping?

I’m curious to hear opinions. Thanks in advance.

Although I (believe I) understand the benefits of sub-ohm vaping, I'm a little surprised by just how dominant it appears to be (compared to 1+ ohm vaping). It seems 90% of the hardware today is designed for sub-ohm vaping; huge wattages, TC, most tanks are sub-ohm, etc. I would have guessed the warmer vapor would be enough to split the crowd (based on personal preference, warm vs. cool) and the need to do lung hits would be a barrier to widespread appeal. However, judging by what I see on Youtube, the reviews I read, and the sites I shop on, the vape market (beyond the gas station e-cigs) is 90% sub-ohm. Am I wrong?

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More likely it is just the perception based on where you get your info. For example, if you owned a muscle car, visited websites that cater to muscle cars,and watched videos on youtube about muscle cars, you would think that there is a large percentage of people into muscle cars,when the vast majority don't even really think about what they drive. Believe it or not,the ego style batteries and pen style ecigs are the larger percentage of the market, but those people don't view it as a hobby,so you don't see videos that cater to that market or websites like this dedicated to that market. I don't think 90 percent of the people that use ecigs look at them in the same way that our little family does. But this is all opinion and conjecture on my part......:)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do both, sub and +.

I lean heavy on sub. But this is out of pure laziness lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sub ohm vape for the nicotine hit.. started off as a newbie tootle puffer (+1.0 ohm) 3 years ago with a Provari /Protank but quickly realized I needed something better in my nicotine delivery to stay tobacco-free. I got into mechs and RDA's, and now vape these fabulous sub ohm tanks on various high powered box mods today...just sayin
3d2a8f362168ccd534afaf96ba8ba9b9.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m curious to hear opinions. Thanks in advance.

Although I (believe I) understand the benefits of sub-ohm vaping, I'm a little surprised by just how dominant it appears to be (compared to 1+ ohm vaping). It seems 90% of the hardware today is designed for sub-ohm vaping; huge wattages, TC, most tanks are sub-ohm, etc. I would have guessed the warmer vapor would be enough to split the crowd (based on personal preference, warm vs. cool) and the need to do lung hits would be a barrier to widespread appeal. However, judging by what I see on Youtube, the reviews I read, and the sites I shop on, the vape market (beyond the gas station e-cigs) is 90% sub-ohm. Am I wrong?
I only subohm now but I was an avid 1.5 ohm vaper for gosh close to two years... In the end its been for me more of an advancement for my likes not a need..

More likely it is just the perception based on where you get your info.
That's fair. Although it does seem like the overwhelming percentage of new devices that come to market are for sub-ohm vaping.

I am a MTL and cannot/will not go below 1.0 ever. I tried and it burns my lungs. I thought something was wrong with me. However, I think the manufactures are catering to the sub-ohm group.
For me as well. It's too much of a good thing.

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was a PAD for 25 years, started with ego twist but never felt like it was enough of everything (batt life, vapor, flavor) So when I found out there were devices that would put out more vapor I was sold on a Kanger setup at .5 ohm and never looked back....forward 7-8 months and I only vape .2 to .5 now on big air sub tanks or RDA's.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it only seems prevalent, because that's what Big Vapor is pushing; much more money to be made from sub ohm vapers...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Once you sub/super sub-ohm and like it there really is no way of being satisfied with the higher res stuff anymore...highest I go now is .7 on a series box...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lowest I've ever vaped was .8
I'm perfectly happy with flavor and vapor at 1.2 and above so far. I want good flavor, more than anything. And, of course, to stay off cigs.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i think 1.2 ohm coils are still sub ohm ish
i can load the kanger 1.2 ohm coil on the subtank and get the same clouds and flavor as the .5 coil

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:) Think of the money we are saving on less e liquid usage.
I think of the money I save not buying four cartons of Marlboro a month anymore.. money saved buys a lot of juice.. I'm not worried about juice consumption... Sub ohm vaping keeps me tobacco free and after all, that why I started vaping in the first place. Lolol

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't get the reasons for sub ohm vaping. I have tried it and get better flavor auto dripping 2 ohm coils; I use high PG, rather than muted VG liquids. Cigalikes produce more vapor than cigarettes do, so I don't get that aspect, either. And for nicotine, of course one needs more volume of vapor, when hardly using and nicotine at all at 3 or 6 mg, which is what most sub ohm vapers seem to use...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The high wattages used in my subtanks and low ohm builds in my RDA's deliver a better nicotene and flavor hit than I could ever get tootle puffing on a tight airflow 1.8 ohm Protank at 12w...wide open airflow and deep lung hits is why I love to sub ohm vape.. Just sayin..

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I MTL at work with Nauti Mini's and VV ego devices. Problem is I have to raise the nic level (18mg) to get the same flavor and satisfying vape when I use subohm tanks and high wattage devices (3 mg nic level). Both taste fantastic with a fresh coil...:).

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think of the money I save not buying four cartons of Marlboro a month anymore.. money saved buys a lot of juice.. I'm not worried about juice consumption... Sub ohm vaping keeps me tobacco free and after all, that why I started vaping in the first place. Lolol

I think you'll change your mind about that. Most of the cost of your cigs was tax. When the states catch up and add their tax to juice as many are doing already and the rest will follow, you won't see that savings anymore.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The reason vaping became what it is today is because of the cloudzzzzzz

VAPE ON

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Horseshit. The vast majority of vapers are using pens.
Maybe the VAST majority
But the advancement of the vaping world will not become what it is if it wasn't for the cloudszzzzzzz.
You may not agree but, you said ur self..

VAPE ON

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe the VAST majority
But the advancement of the vaping world will not become what it is if it wasn't for the cloudszzzzzzz.

VAPE ON

How is more power and vapor advancement? I would think a cigalike which produces a satisfying vape would be the biggest advancement in vaping in years...
More power is just like adding nitrous to a Honda Civic...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe the VAST majority

VAPE ON

No, the advancement of your vaping world and VU may hinge on clouds. The average ex-smoker just want's a battery and coil that won't die halfway through the day.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, the advancement of your vaping world and VU may hinge on clouds. The average ex-smoker just want's a battery and coil that won't die halfway through the day.
Ur in denial bro..
If u like ur pen then VAPE on..

VAPE ON

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How is more power and vapor advancement? I would think a cigalike which produces a satisfying vape would be the biggest advancement in vaping in years...
More power is just like adding nitrous to a Honda Civic...
How come one now!! This is a stupid question..
If u like ur pen VAPE ON

VAPE ON

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How come one now!! This is a stupid question..
If u like ur pen VAPE ON

VAPE ON

I think getting a satisfying vape from less power requires more skill than just throwing power at it. More power isn't advancement of technology...

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, you think the people you know are representative of the whole country?

I've never once met a person that voted for Obama. True story. ;)
I'm a long haul truck driver bro, and I visit a lot of vape shops...the vast majority of folks I've meant across this country sub ohm vape... and I didn't vote for Obama, thank you very much!

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Show me an American made pen?

VAPE ON

Go to the Target and look for the pens with USA flags on the packaging... I prefer Japanese made pens myself, like Pilots...

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think getting a satisfying vape from less power requires more skill than just throwing power at it. More power isn't advancement of technology...
I think that's what I'm referring toooo

VAPE ON

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here in (The City) I usually see tons of Ego users and more than a few using ciga-likes.Every once in a while I'll see somebody using something a bit more advanced though.
However at vape shops I mostly see mechanical mods in hands.On my last trip I saw a super massive E-Pipe that looked more like weapon than something I'd want to vape on.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Parker Pen from the 70's I used in school. I just can't find it at the moment. It's USA

Even many US made pens have Japanese ink in them. Probably a chemical which makes them smooth, which is banned in the US...

VU Sponsors