Become a Patron!

My new Griffin RTA (vs Crius)

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have some pics I'll post in a bit. The Griffin is definitely a more spacious deck. Plenty of room for a standard tank.

So my tank had oil on it. First tank I ever got that did. So I cleaned it up squeaky clean. First impression... Quality. It is very nice. Nice etching. It's not a huge chunk of SS, but much nicer than the thin stock on the Crius. However, my threads on the top cap are sort of rough. That will clean up.

I've seen one pic of the deck out of the base. If I can separate them to replace the seal, that is a big plus over the Crius. The juice control rotates on that seal, and that will need to be replaced.

The deck is plenty big. I wrapped 24g spaced coils with 9 wraps on 3mm. Plenty of room. I can do 8/9 wraps contact 2.5mm coils on the Crius, but it is a real chore fitting that in. Wicking is as easy as any velocity deck.

There is plenty of air, but actually the Crius has bigger ports. The air flow control is tight which is nice. And... It does not go down past the base. The base has a lip it rests on. Not much, but it is there. I'm learning I'm really not liking tanks that have an open ring to the base. Everything leaks onto the mod.

Flavor is on par with all the other great tasting tanks out there. Crown, and Crius. Lots of vapor tastes great. And this RTA has enough room for big coils to make lots of vapor. Drip tip is nice, but I like the big bore tips. This one does have an added 510 adapter included.

So it vapes great. I'll have to spend time time with it but 8/9 wraps of 24g at 3mm is plenty of coil. And of course I need some time to see if it's going to leak. And, I'll have to see if I miss the claimed 0.5 ml of juice that's missing. 3.5 ml is kinda small. So long term we'll see.

Bottom line... If your Crius gives you enough room to build what you want to build, then this is no big deal. If you haven't got a Crius and are looking for a RTA, you need to give this a hard look. I want another in black. It's nice, if it doesn't leak, it will be a home run. They will sell a lot. It's a great value, and very versatile.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just going to post about the Griffin to test the waters and see if anyone is weighing in on it yet. Since my mild let down at the hands of the Crius I wanted to see how the Griffin stacks up before I pulled the trigger. Keep us posted on how your griffin performs!

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So here are some pic.... as you can see, much more room. A rough measure was 3-4 mm bigger diameter. And the ports are oddly enough smaller on the Griffin. Still plenty of air. But looking at the Crius, they are huge. Especially inside where there is much more carved out. On the Griffin, they are pretty much that all the way down. Again though, plenty of air. I have it turned down a 1/3 maybe. 2/3 open.

DSCN0630_zpslwua4d9v.jpg

The deck is taller, which also accounts for some of the lost capacity. Holes are plenty big enough. The grub screws were smooth with no rough edges. You can see what I mean at the bottom of the air flow control ring on the Griffin. The base is as big as the ring. On the Crius, the ring goes all the way to the bottom... or 510 connection. So any leak goes straight to the mod. We'll see if this lip is any better... at least I can see it.

DSCN0634_zpspw3ftrtn.jpg

And here is 8/9 wraps of 24g on 3mm. Plenty of room. Not touching the posts, and I didn't have to worry about it touching the chamber wall. All the coil I want on a tank like this.

DSCN0636_zpsy6kohmmb.jpg

Last but not least.... sitting on my VS. Next to the monster 25mm VCMT on my new Psyclone Evo. That is becoming my go to grab all day. I guess the real monster is the 30mm version.... but that is just crazy to me. The 25mm VCMT is a great tank.

DSCN0666_zpshxoj97lr.jpg

jomomma

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
great early review and pics. i got the griffin a few days ago and so far i find it has better flavor than my beloved billow v2 or my crown. [imo] been running regular kanthal duel coils hitting at .33 ohms. what strikes me is how smooth the draw is. no turbulence at all. i don`t won a crius so can`t compare it. have had no leaking problems with it either. so far i love it.

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn that's going on my wish list.. is that a chuf style drip sitting on their? I have the smok tfv4 and I like it, flavors good vapor is pretty good I have the dual coil build deck but the deck is pretty small to build on and doesn't accept very low gauge wire and I hate 510 drip tips I need a chuf.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Damn that's going on my wish list.. is that a chuf style drip sitting on their? I have the smok tfv4 and I like it, flavors good vapor is pretty good I have the dual coil build deck but the deck is pretty small to build on and doesn't accept very low gauge wire and I hate 510 drip tips I need a chuf.

Ya, big bore drip tip. I don't care about 510, but it does come with an adapter for those that do. I like the derlin tip.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tell me more about the EVO!
Dude, it's all that. I mean it's a DNA 200 so that's what it is. Like every other DNA 200. But the craftsmanship in the box is awesome. He will be producing custom side and face plates too. I don't care, but lots do. It comes with flat and rounded buttons. I have a 1400 mah battery... But for now on they will be 1300. I forget the name, but they are quality batteries. Not user replaceable.

The box itself is smallish.... But it is thick. 28mm. Not huge, but thicker does matter in a pocket. Sits nice in the hand with the scooped out face plate. But my 25mm VCMT is perfect on it. Made for each other. I really love it. Can't put it down. My go to these days.

jkoppk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got my Griffin and ss316l wire today and I'm loving this rta.Running contact coils with 10 wraps of 24g 316L around a 3mm coil jig.Comes out at .28 ohms,running it on my evic mini in SS temp mode at 460 degrees and 60 watts.Great vapor,flavor and no leaks or dry hits.Coil buying days are over for me.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I spent some time with my Griffin today. I wanted to see if the deck comes out of the base.... Well, I don't see how. Nothing obvious or easy. Didn't feel like breaking it with everyone out right now.

The pin screws out,but then there is nothing connecting. I tried pulling it out, but no go. I could have taken the pin gasket out and tried to use a punch on the deck... But again, I didn't want to ruin anything. I don't really see how driving the positive post out would get the base apart.

The AFC ring is retained by the base. Seems solid and not pressed onto the 510. Then the "ring" the base for the juice flow is next. Seems just like the Crius. If it is its pressed and I don't feel like prying it off. So I'm not seeing how it is serviceable. Or at least easily.

BOTTOM LINE... For now, it is a much better built Crius. The juice flow is tight. Not loose at all. There is no leakage at all. You can barely see in the seam and there is nothing. There is nothing in the AFC. The top fill is a positive tight seal. And the holes are plenty big. Overall, it is just a much better made tank than the Crius. None of that thin flimsy looking parts. Everything is tight. There are some reports of rough threads. My cap has some rough parts.

So I have learned my lesson jumping on the latest greatest praise wagon. I've only gone through about 3 tanks so far. I rebuilt with 8 spaced wraps of 24g at 3mm... Not even close to cramped. Plenty of room. I'll be using it all week to put its through its paces. But so far, it's a Crius.... Only a much better version of one.

Peek insulator, gold pin, bigger deck, tighter seals, screw on cap, and removable wick ring. Much better.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
2 days on it... Still spotless....

Never close juice ports... Even filling. (but the wick is definitely full when I put the top back on.)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
good to hear... the griffin sounds like a winner, but so did the crius...fortunately i got the only crius in the world that doesnt leak. I am on the look out for a second rta. but i scared to get another crius with everyone bitching about theirs (except me) and i want a bigger deck anyway. SO please od keep us informed in a week or so ho wit holds up

jkoppk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm on about my 10th refill and no leaks yet.flavors still great and wicking has been perfect. I'm vaping a vanilla custard that's max VG and I'm really impressed so far

I've had my Crius about a week, and it hasn't leaked a drop. In fact, I love that tank.
I was on the fence about getting another Crius or trying the Griffin, but after reading all the negative stuff about the Crius, my mind is made up. Griffin it is. But none of my go-to sites have it in stock.

I'm about ready to buy one but I've heard that it struggles with wicking when chain vaping at high wattages because there's not much clearance between the glass and the juice holes, has anyone noticed this?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm about ready to buy one but I've heard that it struggles with wicking when chain vaping at high wattages because there's not much clearance between the glass and the juice holes, has anyone noticed this?
I don't have any problems with wicking on the Crius when chain vaping - except leaking when the tank gets hot (which it always does the way I vape). I'm hoping the Griffin behaves better :)

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what mikevapes said in his review but I haven't heard anyone having problems I watch multiple forums on the new tanks out. So far what I've heard from multiple forums is the crius sucks unless your the lucky number 1 who's doesn't leak, the vcmt leaks if not wicked properly and the juice flow control can be a bitch to get right, the griffin no leaks and I haven't heard anything about wicking issues wich I wouldn't think you would seeing you can run 3mm coils.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The VCMT is not that finicky. The juice channels are just big and more flat. Like not a half circle more a quarter if you know what I mean. So I have found the wick needs to be run further down and fill up the channel more so than the standard velocity wick.

I have no issues with the juice flow control. I lave it open and don't try to position it a certain amount closed. I don't see the point. It's loose around the base, so it's not like it's sealed and would stop flow. It really needs some work. Fine if there is no control like Crius/Griffin. But it should screw onto the base with a o-ring. Then it could be positioned and seal and give tension on the chamber cap threads. Honestly it's a little silly and I don't consider the VCMT to have juice control. Get rid of it or fix it.

But the VCMT is a different tank than the Griffin. Totally. Not in the same category. The Griffin is standard by today's tanks. The VCMT is the big kahuna. Big tank, big deck, big coils.

JMarca

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just got mine today and noticed something strange. The review videos all had tanks with the word griffin in cursive font engraved onto the chimney. Mine has a griffin logo and everything else looks exactly the same as everyone elses but the name isn't engraved. I got mine from Subtank Supply, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue?

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
7c36701ed34af6c2d93ea3978e51d1c6.jpg

Yup it's stellar so far and most importantly dry and flavorful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like this tank. It took a lot of builds to get the flavor I wanted (ie, equal or better to the crown) but, after putting the coils very high up on the deck, near the top of the posts, I got there. A warning to people buying this tank though- don't use the included Allen wrench. Mine, with even very light pressure, stripped three out of the four grub screws on my very first build. These screws strip easily. Using my own .050 sized key works fine. I recommend this tank though, I have never gotten a dry hit from it (max vg or not) nor have I gotten any leaks (even when very hot or high pg juices) I really don't have much to complain about. It's a great tank. Does anyone have an aromamizer and the Griffin? Was wondering how thr aromamizer compared.

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where are y'all getting this?

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks broheim

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@TheVapingDevil so now that you got something to replace your crius you should send it to me, so i have spare parts and can maybe figure out why the fuck mine works and yours doesnt. If I can make yours work ill send it back.

I Does anyone have an aromamizer and the Griffin? Was wondering how thr aromamizer compared.

I don't, but what I'm hearing from a lot of reviewers now is that once the initial hype died down from the aromamizer, it's not as great as a lot of people thought. Grimm Green said he's planning to do a shootout video between the Aromamizer and the Griffin, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Aromamizer and am waiting for my Griffin. Side by side against my Crius, it's about even,but I think the Aromamizer edges it out due to the larger build deck. The Crius is much prettier to look at but that's not the main reason for me getting it. If the Griffin lives up to the hype, it'll be as if the Aromamizer and the Crius had a one night stand that resulted in its birth.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive had all the new tanks except the VCMT which will be arriving next week and I can safely say the Griffin is my favorite tank so far and the TFV4 with TF-R2 right behind it. The Crius V3 and Aromamizer are plagued with issues and I find them not to be reliable tanks.
If you would like to see my review/comparison of the Griffin/Crius/Aromamizer click this LINK

JMarca

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Griffin > Aromamizer no doubt. Bigger clouds just as much flavor and better looking in my opinion. Only downside is you have to fill it more often but it's so easy to fill.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Only been using the Griffin one day..... But it is a great Vape and a quality device. I do have a couple of areas of concern that some may not like but they are not problems for me. Keep in mind this is based on only one day and only one build. 26 g twisted ss at .16 ohms
This baby gets hot when chain vaping. May be because the close clearance between glass tank and build deck. Mike vapes mentioned it. For me it has not effected wicking even with 90% VG based juices. But it does get pretty warm. Again could be due to my build. I will know more once I get more wire in tomorrow
Based on comment above, the metal drip tip got too hot for me. I put in the adapter and my Delrin drip tip and all good now
The only other area is the afc is not as tight as I would like. It moves pretty freely but there may be a way to tighten it but I haven't tried yet
As far. As the Vape, it's very flavorful, and produces nice dense clouds. Very pleased so far.
Again only day one so I need to use it more heavily and with different builds.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
@TheVapingDevil so now that you got something to replace your crius you should send it to me, so i have spare parts and can maybe figure out why the fuck mine works and yours doesnt. If I can make yours work ill send it back.
I found the best part of the tank is he glass drip tip. I broke that on day two due to an mishap and tipped it over. All I really have is one crappy base and spare glass

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Griffin > Aromamizer no doubt. Bigger clouds just as much flavor and better looking in my opinion. Only downside is you have to fill it more often but it's so easy to fill.
Griffin eats the Aromamizer, the Crius and its Posts are further apart then the original Velocity...Griffin is the VCMT in 22mm.
Griffin Comparison.jpg Griffin Comparison .jpg
Griffin Comparison  .jpgGriffin Comparison   .jpg
My Griffins Build: 2x22K/42N80 Fused Claptons-5Wraps @ .13 Ohms and is great at 135W.
Griffin Build.jpg

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Only been using the Griffin one day..... But it is a great Vape and a quality device. I do have a couple of areas of concern that some may not like but they are not problems for me. Keep in mind this is based on only one day and only one build. 26 g twisted ss at .16 ohms
This baby gets hot when chain vaping. May be because the close clearance between glass tank and build deck. Mike vapes mentioned it. For me it has not effected wicking even with 90% VG based juices. But it does get pretty warm. Again could be due to my build. I will know more once I get more wire in tomorrow
Based on comment above, the metal drip tip got too hot for me. I put in the adapter and my Delrin drip tip and all good now
The only other area is the afc is not as tight as I would like. It moves pretty freely but there may be a way to tighten it but I haven't tried yet
As far. As the Vape, it's very flavorful, and produces nice dense clouds. Very pleased so far.
Again only day one so I need to use it more heavily and with different builds.

Bummer... Because my AFC is quite tight. Almost too tight. But I don't use it so no big deal. Tight is better than loose.

Am I the only one with rough threads on the cap?

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Bummer... Because my AFC is quite tight. Almost too tight. But I don't use it so no big deal. Tight is better than loose.

Am I the only one with rough threads on the cap?
Interesting on your afc. There may be a way to tighten it up but I haven't looked that closely yet.
My top cap is not what I consider tough at all. Def not buttery smooth but seems to not hang up and goes on with no problems. V

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Everything on my Griffin is super smooth except I find the AFC ring is too smooth and can easily be moved around by the slightest touch...Ill be fixing that with some uber thin wire tomorrow though. Threads are all smooth and clean, the top that threads on is a pain sometimes to find the threads but when I do it goes on easily

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Crius has been playing nice as of late, but look who's joined the party... Haven't gotten the chance to build on it yet, but I can't wait already.
image.jpeg

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wick and wire installed. Not my best, but they'll do for premade coils. Dual verticals 28g cores with 32g wraps. image.jpegimage.jpeg Wicked like my Crius, splitting the wick and clearing the air flow. image.jpegimage.jpeg
The tails just sit in the juice wells. Fluffed out of course. image.jpeg
Haven't juice or vaped it yet, but we will see how it goes tomorrow!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wick and wire installed. Not my best, but they'll do for premade coils. Dual verticals 28g cores with 32g wraps. View attachment 38850View attachment 38851 Wicked like my Crius, splitting the wick and clearing the air flow. View attachment 38852View attachment 38853
The tails just sit in the juice wells. Fluffed out of course. View attachment 38854
Haven't juice or vaped it yet, but we will see how it goes tomorrow!
You should clip your cotton where it meets the ring, having it inside the juice port chokes off its flow, its best to have it fluffed out and just sitting inside those ports. Just a heads up!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After reading all the good things about the Griffin I just ordered a black one from Eccigity for like $30...I have the tfv4 and hoping the Griffin will produce the same thick clouds without those pricy coils used in the Tfv4...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

fantasticplastic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Griffin's posts had to be filed down because the chimney cap was rubbing on the top of the posts when screwed down, which resulted in a short. Otherwise this is my new fav rta!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My Griffin's posts had to be filed down because the chimney cap was rubbing on the top of the posts when screwed down, which resulted in a short. Otherwise this is my new fav rta!
That is wierd, my posts sit atleast 4-6mm from the cap, where did you purchase yours? Do you have a pic of your deck, with and without the cap on it, and then the tank together?

fantasticplastic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is wierd, my posts sit atleast 4-6mm from the cap, where did you purchase yours? Do you have a pic of your deck, with and without the cap on it, and then the tank together?
20160123_040148.jpg 20160123_040358.jpg 20160123_040526.jpg 20160123_040613.jpg 20160123_041054.jpg

When I tightened the chimney all the way down, i could feel the scraping as i turned the juice control knob. You can see where i filed down just slightly on the edges of the posts. Now no more rubbing. Still a bummer I had to do that though.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Your posts are taller then mine are, where did you pick it up from? There is a clone variant out already, have your checked its authenticity?

My postholes are lower then yours are from where the posts start, Im guessing yours wasnt cut down and drilled out at the right level and if it bothers you anymore I would ask for a replacement.

fantasticplastic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your posts are taller then mine are, where did you pick it up from? There is a clone variant out already, have your checked its authenticity?

My postholes are lower then yours are from where the posts start, Im guessing yours wasnt cut down and drilled out at the right level and if it bothers you anymore I would ask for a replacement.

I picked it up from a reputable vendor in Korea (I work here). I just did the scratch and check at geekvape and it is original. It was a very slight amount that I had to filed down. I wonder if there are others having the same issue.

Does your air flow ring move up and down slightly as well? I feel like my Griffin isn't as built well as my Billow v2.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I picked it up from a reputable vendor in Korea (I work here). I just did the scratch and check at geekvape and it is original. It was a very slight amount that I had to filed down. I wonder if there are others having the same issue.

Does your air flow ring move up and down slightly as well? I feel like my Griffin isn't as built well as my Billow v2.
I havent heard of anyone having that issue with the posts but Im glad that it didnt take much to fix, hopefully it was a one off and someone without the abilities or motivation to fix it doesnt happen to get one...
My AFC Ring has no lay other then side to side...maybe slightly but it doesnt travel at all. It feels pretty solid.

VU Sponsors