Become a Patron!

New Smok Alien Firmware v1.2.11 Available

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, but by that point I had been asked to "open file with..." one too many times. Once I chose to open with IE, and stuck me with that from then on. I tried deleting and redownloading the .zip, but it kept wanting to open the .HEX file with IE because I told it to the first time. It's been 7 or 8 years since I owned a pc, and I've pretty much forgotten how to use one.

Now if I could update with my phone or PS3, that would be nice. Lol
You assosciated that file to be opened with IE. You need to un assosciate it. Post your operating system and someone here will tell you what to do

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Windows 8, but it's no biggie. I knew I screwed up by associating it with IE, and I couldn't remember how to fix it. Like I said, it's been awhile since I had a pc.

z3pHy2

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, but by that point I had been asked to "open file with..." one too many times. Once I chose to open with IE, and stuck me with that from then on. I tried deleting and redownloading the .zip, but it kept wanting to open the .HEX file with IE because I told it to the first time. It's been 7 or 8 years since I owned a pc, and I've pretty much forgotten how to use one.

Now if I could update with my phone or PS3, that would be nice. Lol

Right click the file, instead of the highlighted "Open" option, select, "Open with", in there select the program you want.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Uhm, sorry, but that's not correct. 1.2.2 is higher than 1.2.11. Look at the tenths place.
Not in the Chinese world lol. Pretty sure 1.2.11 is their latest. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong. I had 1.2.2 and I put 1.2.11 that one came out after 1.2.2 again this is only for the A version

z3pHy2

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Actually you're all correct.
It's true that 1.2.11>1.2.2 , but generally in software versioning, one tries to maintain the same number of digits in all the sub version numbers.
Usually when you run out of the last sub version, you increment the number before it. That is source of all your confusions.

It should have been incremented as below.

z3pHy2

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The sad part, is i'm writing all this down, and i don't even own a single mod yet. Heck i'v ever only had two drags of a vape device in my life.
Ordered the SMOK AL85 to take me on my vape journey, and now it's been delayed again. Gonna be >50 days before i get it.
Well atleast i can help out others.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The sad part, is i'm writing all this down, and i don't even own a single mod yet. Heck i'v ever only had two drags of a vape device in my life.
Ordered the SMOK AL85 to take me on my vape journey, and now it's been delayed again. Gonna be >50 days before i get it.

Damn, that's awful! :sad: But it's great that you're here sharing anyway. Glad to have you. :cheers:

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, the Chinese update numbers don't follow normal counting conventions?

Weird, since 1.2.2 was the version that was on the Smok website. Why don't they have the most recent update on there? Where's 1.2.11 at?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The link at the bottom of the Smok Alien page still says 1.2.2 but if you click on it, it takes you to that page above that's 1.2.11.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Actually you're all correct.
It's true that 1.2.11>1.2.2 , but generally in software versioning, one tries to maintain the same number of digits in all the sub version numbers.
Usually when you run out of the last sub version, you increment the number before it. That is source of all your confusions.

It should have been incremented as below.
This shit threw me off too. I made the same mistake cause my brain read 1.2.11 as 1.2.1.1 so it looked like a roll back from 1.2.2 to a newer version of 1.2.1

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just did all of my aliens and G Priv. The alien one is a little confusing. I think the big thing is that when you search for the file you downloaded and extracted is to make sure when you click on it you look at the lower right (file types) and make sure you select all files or you will forever see the message no file found lol
YESSSSS! Took me a minute was all :facepalm: :giggle::giggle::giggle: But I got her updated and she's acting beautifully. :bliss:

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape-Royalty a US company in Cali has them in stock !

z3pHy2

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Vape-Royalty a US company in Cali has them in stock !
Thanks for the pointer :) but i'm overseas, and the billing costs reach around $28 on this site.
Ordered from another chinese vendor today (aliexpress) which has it in stock, apparently. Will know for sure tomorrow when the payment goes through.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
7f92ad533b1ad4ea36e51064192464bd.jpg

So if i have this, i need to update?

Sent from my Sic 6

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is anyone else having issues with Stainless Steel in TC mode with V1.2.11? Before upgrade 500F was giving good flavor and good vapor at 100w on V1.2.1. Now it's next to nothing. :-/

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Version 1.2.11 killed my temp mode for SS. I wish I never updated from 1.2.1.. I got this mod to replace my Sig 213 for work. Since updating to 1.2.11 the temp mode sucks and my battery life got worse. It works fine in Watts mode but I already have plenty of good wattage mods. If you are vaping in temp mode and still have the 1.2.1, keep it . Do not update.

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Version 1.2.11 killed my temp mode for SS. I wish I never updated from 1.2.1.. I got this mod to replace my Sig 213 for work. Since updating to 1.2.11 the temp mode sucks and my battery life got worse. It works fine in Watts mode but I already have plenty of good wattage mods. If you are vaping in temp mode and still have the 1.2.1, keep it . Do not update.
Yeah I already upgraded to the new one unfortunately. I can deal with watt mode til my triade DNA 250 gets here though. Kinda sucks losing it, but I'll live I guess.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've learned my lesson with mods and temp control . Only DNA from here on out. My Lost Vape Therion produces an excellent temp controlled vape.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Might be a dumb question but what's an fsk mod?

The hohmtech mods. The hohmwrecker g2 and the HohmSlice. IMO I prefer it to the dna chip but to be fair it's neck and neck for sure. But the fsk will temp control anything including kenthal

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mebejedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can't you downgrade back?

HellbillyRJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can't you downgrade back?
I haven't found a link back to 1.2.1 bit I haven't looked very hard either. I might look a little harder tomorrow. I just gotta be more conscious of dry hits now, TC spoiled me.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did the upgrade on mine and it is working beautifully in tc mode, running Rove's Supertank notch coil at 40w, 450 I'm SS mode. Battery life is good as always.

Sorry to hear some are having issues, hopefully a new fw will come out soon to help.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want to downgrade maybe someone saved the file and can email it to you guys. I had just deleted mine or I would do it

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've pretty much learned my lesson on updates in regards to tech in general. They chanted the mantra until it got stuck in peoples heads 'newest is the best'. No, newest is the newest. Newer isn't always better. Have seen plenty of issues (not necessarily vape related) where the even older advice of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' still rings true. lol

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've pretty much learned my lesson on updates in regards to tech in general. They chanted the mantra until it got stuck in peoples heads 'newest is the best'. No, newest is the newest. Newer isn't always better. Have seen plenty of issues (not necessarily vape related) where the even older advice of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' still rings true. lol
I am afraid to upgrade with anything until some time has passed and I see all the issues that others have had with these upgrades.

I waited more than a year to upgrade to windows 10 and my old laptop died in windows 7. Now I have windows 10 on a pass me down from my husband and the automatic, and seemingly mandatory Cordana crap that autoupdated really pissed me off (If I wanted that kind of crap I would have bought an apple phone instead of andriod, just not my thing I guess). Screwed up my game play and performance so bad, I haven't tried using my favorite game for a while.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Now I have windows 10 on a pass me down from my husband and the automatic, and seemingly mandatory Cordana crap that autoupdated really pissed me off (If I wanted that kind of crap I would have bought an apple phone instead of andriod, just not my thing I guess). Screwed up my game play and performance so bad, I haven't tried using my favorite game for a while.

You can disable Cortana. I don't remember how I did it, but I know I did. Shit never bothers me anymore. Google it and you'll find out how.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can disable Cortana. I don't remember how I did it, but I know I did. Shit never bothers me anymore. Google it and you'll find out how.
I have done what I can do so I don't hear from her or see her, but she is still there doing things that I prefer not done, in the background, as I try to play the game. I don't like some of the decisions that are made by windows 10. Like autoupdating. It is a terrible idea to do this without a prompt.

VU Sponsors