Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whenever.

I remember more rain than you talk about when I lived in Tucson. The trailer park I lived in was next to a deep dry wash, and every time we had nasty thunderstorms, there was about 30 feet of water raging down that thing. Within a week (sometimes only a couple days), it was dry again.
They get more rain in Tucson then I get in north Scottsdale.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For mower tires and such if they leak I just slime em..
You mean Green Slime? I have a gallon of that stuff somewhere in the shop. Guess I better find it.

Why not get foam filled tires?
Never found one of those. I bought a solid rubber tire for one of our wheelbarrows (cost twice as much). Sure been nice not having to fill that up every time I need to use it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You mean Green Slime? I have a gallon of that stuff somewhere in the shop. Guess I better find it.

Never found one of those. I bought a solid rubber tire for one of our wheelbarrows (cost twice as much). Sure been nice not having to fill that up every time I need to use it.
Yep, wheelbarrow and tractor tires, it's like the tire fairly lets air out each night.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I remember when I put solid tubes in my bicycle tires because of all the flats. Don't ride it anymore, but I still have it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, wheelbarrow and tractor tires, it's like the tire fairly lets air out each night.
My truck seldom ever needs to have air added. My bobcat hasn't changed a pound in pressure in the 12 years I've had it -- and those tires go through some gawd-awful abuse. Yet these damn riding mowers and wheelbarrows lose air overnight regardless of how often they get used (or not used).

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember when I put solid tubes in my bicycle tires because of all the flats. Don't ride it anymore, but I still have it.
Didn't that make for a really stiff bumpy ride? (assuming your bicycle didn't have any other suspension except for the give of an air-filled tire)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My truck seldom ever needs to have air added. My bobcat hasn't changed a pound in pressure in the 12 years I've had it -- and those tires go through some gawd-awful abuse. Yet these damn riding mowers and wheelbarrows lose air overnight regardless of how often they get used (or not used).
Might be the tires. Our Huskee mower never loses air, stored in a shed.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I know - but don't know where the air is leaking from. A friend of mine who is the spray polyurethane foam (roofing) business filled my wheelbarrow tire with foam, haven't had any problems since.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Didn't that make for a really stiff bumpy ride? (assuming your bicycle didn't have any other suspension except for the give of an air-filled tire)
Dual springs on the forks and a single spring in the rear. Still made the ride bumpier, but I didn't hafta buy new tubes every time I rode it. Nails, screws, thorns, sand spurs, etc did a number on tubes.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah I know - but don't know where the air is leaking from. A friend of mine who is the spray polyurethane foam (roofing) business filled my wheelbarrow tire with foam, haven't had any problems since.
Hey! Ya know that foam stuff that comes in paint-can sized inflationary pressurized cans? You can't screw them onto the inflation threads of a tire, but I wonder if I removed the air pin if I could fill my tires with that stuff. Or, more likely, I'd just make on helluva mess in the shop...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey! Ya know that foam stuff that comes in paint-can sized inflationary pressurized cans? You can't screw them onto the inflation threads of a tire, but I wonder if I removed the air pin if I could fill my tires with that stuff. Or, more likely, I'd just make on helluva mess in the shop...
We tried that with spray foam. All we got was a glob of foam just inside the nozzle. Worthless.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think that is closed cell foam, but I could be wrong.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My buddy cut a hole in the tire sidewalls, to let the air out as the foam was going in the other sidewall. Trimmed the foam and it was a done deal.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To use the slime you just let the air out of the tire. Remove the valve from the valve stem.
use the included poly tupe to put over valve stem and snout of slime container and squeeze in the proper amount.
Replace valve stem and inflate. rotate tire several times around slowly while tire is still off of ground.
Then drive for a bit to help distribute the slime all over the inside of the tire.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To use the slime you just let the air out of the tire. Remove the valve from the valve stem.
use the included poly tupe to put over valve stem and snout of slime container and squeeze in the proper amount.
Replace valve stem and inflate. rotate tire several times around slowly while tire is still off of ground.
Then drive for a bit to help distribute the slime all over the inside of the tire.
That sounds like the instructions off a bottle of the stuff. Works fine, as long as the tires are thick enough.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Given the last time I used that stuff, the tires still had air in them (and no visible rim damage) long after the motor had ceased to work, so I'm not gonna worry about whether or not slime makes a few pits inside the rim.
Exactly....it's not meant for car-truck tires, but works fine in lawn mower and wheelbarrow tires.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hubby says the slime fucks up rims. Not sure how true that is.
Ohh it is a bit messy if you go to change the tire.
Used it in several things here for a decade or so with no issues.
I would NOT use it on any highway tires though.
Had some old mower tires on a little trailer I pulled with my Gravely rider. They were OLD and cracked and leaked thru the sidewall cracks.
Used slime in em and they worked fine for 8 years or so. Kinda gave up when I put 4 big wheelbarrow loads of pea gravel in there though :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just remembered that I found THE FIFTH DOCTOR yesterday.

While talking to another neurosurgeon about pain management, one of the questions he asked was, "Do you smoke?"
ME: "No. I quit about 3 years ago. 50 years of Camels."
HE typed something into the computer and said, "Lucky Strikes."
I assumed he was saying that is what he used to smoke, so I said, "So you're the fifth doctor, huh?"
He paused and looked at me, his expression clearly asking WTF I was talking about.
I said, "When I was a kid, the TV told me that '4 out of 5 doctors smoke Camels.' Because you did Luckies, you must have been the fifth doctor."
He laughed and turned back to his computer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OK, gang, any of you willing to crawl out from under your respective rocks and talk tonight?
Had the computer on, but was in the other room watching "bizarre foods"....guess I got wrapped up in his crazy adventures.

How is Rich this lovely evening?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What do you do regarding hay, Rich?....bale a shitload and hope for the best?

Was it hay you ran out of this spring, or wood, can't remember now.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What do you do regarding hay, Rich?....bale a shitload and hope for the best?

Was it hay you ran out of this spring, or wood, can't remember now.
I remember his saying he had to trade milk for hay, and something else, I think.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The neighboring ranchers, who have huge fields, have already made their first cutting and baling (large rounds). We don;t do anything with ours (not big enough) except let our critters eat it. I wish this year, however, that I could cut it because once it gets the seed tops, the horses might not want to eat it. There is enough out there to feed them all summer, but the lazy asses might not want what is right in front of them.

VU Sponsors